Rivals Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Look who's finally up," Brandon asks. "Get your beauty sleep, princess?"

"Oh shut up," I sigh as I walk into the kitchen and greet my dad. I lean up and peck him on the cheek while he flips an egg. "Good morning, dad."

"Good morning, sweetie. How is school going?" he asks.

"Great, basketball is going well. We're still undefeated," I smile.

"That's because basketball season hasn't even started yet!" Brandon shouts from the living room.

"Hush," I snap back.

"I'm sure you girls will do great this season," he smiles. "Are you getting along with your teammates?"

"Yeah, I've actually become friends with most of them. We get a big sis and mines pretty cool. Catlynne Foster who was one of the top scorers last year," I say.

"That's great," he says as he dishes up our plates. I neglect to mention Marcela.

As dad finishes cooking breakfast, Brandon and Harrison hustle over to the table as I join them. "So, boys, how is MSU?" my dad asks.

"Great, teams going great. Everything's just great," Brandon says as he stuffs his mouth with bacon.

"Oh Brandon's just upset he won't be starting," Harrison says.

"Shut up. It's not like you'll see any playing time this year," he snaps back.

"I'm a freshman, of course, I won't. I've already accepted that," Harrison says.

"Brandon, why are you even worried? You're still only a sophomore?" I sigh as I pick at my breakfast.

"I know that... I just, I'm so much better than Jamal. I could dribble circles around him and yet he's starting over me?" he sighs.

"You're sounding like a big old baby," I say. "I definitely won't be starting next year, not with Cat only being a junior and I've accepted that."

"Well, it's different with me. No offense, but you're a girl and girls teams are different. No one really cares who's starting, it's just all fun and games," Brandon says.

"Ouch," Harrison says.

"You're such an ass!" I snap.

"Well, it's true," Brandon says.

"Now, now," my dad says. "That's not true. Sarah and her teammates work really hard."

"Pfff, you can't call girls basketball practices hard work... That's like calling ballet hard work. Remember when you tried ballet?" Brandon laughs. "You'd always complain that your feet hurt."

He then tries to imitate my voice. "Oh, my feet hurt because I've been dancing and spinning around in circles all day."

"That's bullshit and you know it! I bet you wouldn't make one practice in Ballet!" I can feel my blood boil.

"You're right, you would never catch me in a tutu," he snaps back.

"Come on, guys. Can't we just have one meal without you three bickering?" my dad asks.

"What did I do?" Harrison sighs.

"Don't act innocent, you were egging Brandon on," dad sighs.

"Yeah, because Brandon's being a whiny bitch," Harrison says.

"Swear jar!" my dad snaps.

"Oh come on, dad. We're out of high school."

"I don't care, my house, my rules," he says.

Harrison sighs and takes his empty plate to the sink as he digs out a dollar from his pocket and shoves it in the jar. I clean up the mess my dad left in the kitchen and do all the dishes before heading back to my room.

I pull up the band that Marcela likes. The Blades I think their name is. I pull up the song she shared with me, Only Friends, and listen closely. It has such a sad melody and words echo the sound of my heart. It feels like this song was meant for me. As it slowly comes to an end, the chorus sings one last time.

The moon and all the stars in the night,

I would trade them all to spend a day in your light.

Because I'm in love with you

The music quiets.

But you don't see me the way I see you.

Tears start to fall down my eyes and I can't find the strength to fight them back any longer. I'm in love with Marcela and I'll never know what it feels like to be loved by her in return. God, I am such a fool.

Marcela's Perspective

"God, these new neighbors," my uncle sighs as we sit at the dinner table. "I can't stand them. Their deviants. Just straight up sycophants."

"Why?" I ask. "What's wrong with them?"

My aunt wipes her mouth after taking a bite. "Well, the neighbors are... They're... "

"A bunch of dykes if you ask me," my uncle goes off. "They're setting a bad example for the kids in the neighborhood."

"What's wrong with being gay?" I ask.

"Honey!" My aunt snaps. "Homosexuality is a sin that will get you a one-way ticket straight to hell."

"Damn straight. God made Adam and Eve, not Amanda and Eve," my uncle says. "These lesbos have no business moving into our neighborhood."

"They need a come to Jesus meeting," my aunt says.

"I'm not feeling so good," I spit out.

"Is everything okay, honey?" my aunt asks.

"Yeah, I just had a long week. I think I might go lie down," I say.

"Okay, honey. I'll put your leftovers in the fridge for you," she says. "Do you want me to take your temperature?"

"No thanks, I'll be fine. I just need to get some sleep," I say as I make my way to my room. Once I'm behind closed doors, I collapse on my bed and cry. I just don't understand... I don't understand how something... How can something so beautiful be so wrong?

Sarah's one of the kindest girls I've ever met. She's not at all what I had thought. She goes out of her way to help. And what about Cat and Kennedy? How have any of them done anything wrong? How could it ever be wrong to love someone? What if I'm gay? Would they think I'm a deviant? Would I go to hell?

--

Sarah's Perspective

A knock on the door pulls me out of my sleep. How long have I been asleep? I look over at the clock to see it says 2 in the afternoon. Holy shit. I must have slept all morning. "Yo, Sarah. You in there?" Harrison asks. "I'm coming in, you better be decent."

I quickly pull myself out of bed as Harrison barges in. "Yo, Sarah. Party tonight Aj's. You're coming."

"Nah," I sigh.

"Come on, I heard his cousin will be there. The one you have a crush on," he says.

"The same one you want to smash?" I use the air quotes around smash because they were his words, not mine.

"Not anymore. I mean, don't get me wrong, she's nice, but I've been talking to another girl."

"Really?" I laugh. "Somehow, I'm not surprised."

"Hey, this girl is different," he says.

"Sure. Every girl is different for you. Unless she's an ex."

"What's wrong with that? Besides, I'm just trying to find the right girl."

"Okay. Just little c's." I smile.

"I'm not making excuses. I was just waiting for this girl to come into my life."

"Sure... just face it, you have commitment issues."

"I do not!" he snaps back.

"How many girlfriends have you had?"

He crosses his arms against me and looks down his nose at me. "That's not the point."

"I'm just saying, maybe you should dive in instead of getting your feet wet."

"You're one to talk. Where's your girlfriend at, Sarah? Ever since the thing with Hannah you're too scared to take the plunge too." His words hit like a slap in the face. He instantly regrets it.

"It's not for the lack of trying."

"I'm sorry. I took it too far," he says. "I just... I don't know."

"I'm sorry too, I shouldn't pry. It's none of my business." We hug and I pull him in tight before he breaks away. "I just care about you Harrison. You're my brother. We're all we have."

"I know."

"Hey, kids. Who's up for a game of 2 on 2?" Dad yells from downstairs.

Harrison and I exchange looks. He shrugs. We both hustle downstairs. As we get downstairs, Brandon's already there. "So, what are the teams? Whatever team Sarah's on will have a huge disadvantage."

He snickers at his own words.

"Okay, benchwarmer," I snap back.

"You're on the bench too," he spits out.

"Yeah, but I'm on a girls' team. No one really cares who's starting. It's all fun and games remember? At least that's what you said." I cross my arms and fail to hold back the widest smirk ever.

"So you're admitting it?" he asks.

"No! That's not what I said," I say.

"No, I'm pretty sure that's literally what you just said. I'm on a girls team and no one really cares," he does the best impression of me he can, which is nothing at all like me.

"Will you two quit?" dad asks. "How about Sarah and me versus you two?"

"I'm fine with that," Harrison says.

"Yeah, have fun losing," Brandon says. I just stick my tongue out at him as we make our way out to the pole barn with the homemade basketball court.

"Honey, why don't you shoot for ball," my dad says as he passes me the ball once we're inside. Of course, I pull up and drain it from the top of the key.

I give Brandon a deep smile. "Looks like it's our ball."

He just laughs. "Not for long."

After I check it in with Harrison, my dad tries to post up Brandon. I fake the past up high and bounce pass it to him, then dart around the three-point line as my dad posts up Brandon. He jerks to the left and then spins to the right, as he goes up for the shot, he zips it out back to me.

I go to pump fake as Harrison goes sailing through the air, I then put the ball to the ground and dribble past him, putting up an easy 2 pointer. "1 nothing," I smile.

"Don't get too cocky," Harrison says as he checks the ball in. Once again, I make the pass to dad before juking left and rushing past Harrison for the quick give and go as dad passes the ball back to me for the easy layup.

"Make that 2 to nothing," I smile.

"Harrison, do we need to trade, is Sarah too much for you to guard?" Brandon asks.

"It's not like you're doing any better with dad," Harrison retorts.

"At least dad hasn't scored on me," Brandon shoots back.

"You guys will never learn," dad sighs. "Defeat always comes from within rather than from any outside enemy."

Harrison checks the ball back in and I take off into the lane. As Brandon triest to cut me off, I loft it up to dad and he tips it in. "Nice pass, honey!"

"Thanks, Dad," I say, giving him a high five.

"Harrison, you're letting a girl dominate you," Brandon sighs.

"Well, she's no average girl. She plays more like a boy," Harrison says.

"Was that supposed to be a compliment?" I ask.

Harrison just shrugs. "It wasn't an insult."

As soon as he checks the ball back, I pull up and drain it in his face. "You boys are about to get skunked."

"Alright, we're switching it up," Brandon says as he pushes Harrison aside and goes to guard me.

I go to pass it to dad and Brandon flinches, then I jab to the left before driving to the right only stopping to crossover, and just as he's able to change his momentum, I dribble it behind the back and he nearly stumbles over his feet as I cross it over again and rush past him, putting up an easy jump shot. "Nothing like splitting wood."

"Damn, she just broke your ankles," Harrison laughs.

"Shut up," Brandon mumbles. Then he looks at me. "Splitting wood?"

"Yeah, it's my new signature move."

"Wow... That's super lame," he sighs.

"Worked on you, didn't it?" I smile.

"I thought it was a brilliant move, sweety," dad says.

"It was pretty cool, it tripped you up," Harrison says with a cheeky smile.

"I bet you can't do that again," Brandon says, checking the ball in.

"What's the score again?" I ask.

"I believe it's 4 to nothing," dad smiles.

"Are you sure you don't want to switch back?" Harrison asks.

"Shut up, Harry," Brandon says.

As soon as he checks the ball in, I pump fake and he shoots up into the air. I rush past him and bounce pass it to dad as Harry tries to guard me. Dad puts another easy basket in.

We somehow manage to skunk them. "Jeez, Brandon. If that's what playing like a boy is like, I'm glad I'm a girl," I tease.

"I want a rematch!" He says.

"Don't be a sore loser," I say.

"I wish I could go another round, but I'm whipped. Sadly, that's what happens when you get old," my dad says.

--

After Dinner

"So?" Harrison asks.

"So, what?" I ask.

"Are you coming with Brandon and me to the party?" he asks.

I let out a sigh. "Do you really want me to come?"

"Of course, you're my beer pong partner. We're the twin duo. We can't mess that up. Besides, you seem like you could use some fun. I can tell you look kind of down. Also, we've got a DD. Ashley said she'd come but she's not drinking."

"Fine, I'll come," I relent.

"Great!" he smiles. "She said she'd be over in a little bit. Brandon's already got booze, but he says we have to dish over $5."

"Fine," I say. "Let me get cleaned up."

I reach over to my bag and pull out some money and hand it over. Harrison takes off and I take a shower and get presentable just in time as Ashley pulls up. Harrison and I pile into the back of her car as Brandon rides shotgun while dad yells at us not to do anything stupid.

The car ride over is a little awkward considering Brandon and Ashley used to date and now they're in the weird just friends phase. "So how come you're not drinking?" I ask.

"I've got to work super early tomorrow," Ashley says. "So how's college? How's the team?"

"Great, I've made quite a few friends and practice is going well," I say.

"That's awesome. I'm happy for you," she says. I can there's a tinge of pain in her words. I can only imagine what it's like to have all your hopes and dreams cut short because of an injury. Now she's stuck here, going to the local college. God, that would suck.

It doesn't take long before we arrive at Aj's. The party is already packed. Brandon divvies up the booze while we're still in the car along with chasers. As we make our way up to the backyard where there's a huge bonfire, everyone has to come up and greet Brandon and Harrison while I slink into the background with Ashley. "So? Has Brandon been seeing anyone?"

"Not that I'm aware of," I sigh. "Have you?"

"Not really," she says. "What about you? Any girlfriends?"

"Nope. Not yet," I say.

"I'm sure you'll meet someone, Central is a big place," she says.

"So is TC," I say.

"True," she laughs.

I take a pole from the vodka and chase it down with Pepsi. "God, this is the first time I've been able to drink since college started."

"Really? I thought Central was the party capital," she says.

"It is, there's just a rule on the team that the freshmen aren't allowed to drink because we're the DD's," I sigh.

She laughs. "That somehow doesn't surprise me."

I pull out my phone as it buzzes and sees a text from Cassie. "Hey, what are you up to this weekend?"

I quickly text her back. "I went home for the weekend."

It doesn't take long before I get a text back. "That sucks, I was hoping we could grab coffee again."

"Maybe after I get back on Sunday?" I ask.

"I can't on Sunday, how about on Monday, same time as last week?" she texts back.

"That works, I'll see you then," I text as a smile shows on my face.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Aj's cousin with her dark raven hair as she walks through the kitchen. Her dark olive skin is flawless. Her eyes scan the party before they land on someone. Someone that's not me, she walks through the room until she finds this big guy with way too much muscle. She leans up and kisses him. Figures...

That's when I notice the girl walking in behind her and my stomach ties in knots. Of course, she'd be here at this party...

My ex Hannah...

Her eyes meet mine and she winces. Hannah immediately adverts her gaze, fling her red hair over her shoulder as she takes off and walks over to the other side of the bonfire. Why did I come here again?

I walk off to the side of the house and nearly run into Harrison as he's busy texting away on his phone. "I see you're having a good time," I sigh.

"Totally," he says. "Where are you going?"

"Anywhere but here," I say before taking a long pole from the vodka.

"Why?" he asks.

"You didn't tell me Hannah would be here," I say.

"Oh..." his eyes go wide. "I had no idea she was in town."

"It doesn't matter," I sigh.

"If it makes you feel any better, Kathy's here too," he says. "And Alicia. So is Samantha and Carol."

"Oooh. Looks like we're both pinned in with our exes," I say. 'Is that why you're hiding over here?"

"It's definitely one of the reasons," he says.

"Why exactly did you want to come to this party?" I ask.

"I don't know. Brandon was talking it up and I was like, sure why not. Haven't seen everyone in a good minute, might as well," he says.

"Do you want to just drink by ourselves?" I ask.

"Sure," he sighs.

We head around and find a couple of lawn chairs to sit in. After a few poles from the booze, he gets pretty chatty. "You're right. I do have commitment issues."

"It's okay. I also have a fear of rejection. Hannah really did a number on me. I don't want to go through that again."

He looks at me. "I wouldn't either. I knew how much you loved her."

I turn to look at him. He's usually never this considerate. He's changed in the little time he's been at MSU. He seems so much more... Older. Wiser. Mature. "What do you think is the reason you're afraid to commit?"

"I don't know if it's necessarily a fear, more of a sense of hopelessness. Maybe it's because mom died. I just feel like what's the point in growing attached if they're going to die?"

I can just feel the pain in his voice and I know how he feels. "I don't really have a good enough answer for you because most of the time I feel the same way. But, part of me feels like maybe the small moments of happiness are worth any price to pay."

"You're probably right, I just wish we had some with mom. I always hear Liam, Scott and even Brandon talk about her like she's some kind of angel. If it weren't for pictures, I wouldn't even know what she looks like."

"God, I know. You know how much time I spend dreaming of what it'd be like to go shopping with her or have her brush my hair while we talk about relationships..." I look up at him as the one question every child like me fears. "Do you think she'd accept me?"

"Are you kidding me, Sarah? Of course. She's an angel after all."

A giggle escapes my lips. "You're right. So, tell me about this girl you keep texting."

"She's amazing. She doesn't even go to MSU. She plays basketball though and she's kind of a total nerd. And she likes Harry Potter," he says with a smile even the dark can't hide.

"So pretty much your perfect match?"

'Yeah! Exactly," he says.

"Does she at least live in East Lansing?" I ask.

"Not sure," he says, scratching the back of his neck.

"You don't even know where she lives?" I ask.

"Umm... no. Look, I met her on Aratheon. Okay?" he sighs.

"You started playing Aratheon again?" I ask.

"Don't judge," he says. "You played it too."

"Oh I'm totally judging you, but not about the playing. It's a fun game. If I had time I'd totally be playing. I just can't get over the fact that you're chasing a stranger on the internet. How do you even know she's a girl? You could totally be getting catfished. They're probably after the money you don't have," I laugh.

"Come on. Here we were having an actual special moment and you go and ruin it," he sighs.

"Shit, you're right. I'm sorry." I should probably slow down on the alcohol.

"I have had a video chat with her. I know she's a girl."

"I believe you."

"So... Are you going to spill the beans on this Marcela girl?" he asks.

"Oh... her? A... it's complicated," I say.

"I told you about my internet girlfriend. I mean, we're not dating yet. She's my girl who's a friend. That's beside the point. You have to dish. I'm not going to judge you like you just did to me."

"Fine, I'll tell you. She's the girl that plays for Boyne city who I had a crush on."

"Ooh! That Marcela. I remember her. You wrote about her in your diary."