All Comments on 'Rocky Raccoon Ch. 03'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 51 Comments
GrimmerGrimmerover 3 years ago

Read this series (so far) on another site.

Good writing and enjoyed the differing perspective.

Keep ‘em going.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
GREAT STORY GIVE US MORE

one of the best writers on this site.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Horses

"without horses out here". Actually, they did pretty well for hundreds of years before Europeans brought the first horses (and cattle and wheat, etc) to the Americas.

Even so, you have likeable sympathetic characters. Nice.

ian0452ian0452over 3 years ago
Another great story

Another great story I am definitely looking forward to the next chapter. I just can’t get enough of your stories. You are without doubt the best author on this site.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Helga?

What happened to Helga's red hair?

MordechaiJonesMordechaiJonesover 3 years ago
So glad you came back to this story

It was too good to languish in the "never finished" file, and since the passing of FTDS nobody has stepped up to take those on.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 3 years ago

Glad to read chapter 3!

5

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
time

i had about given up

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

With all due respect, and I DO have much respect, we've had to wait almost three years for this chapter, only to be told that there's FOUR more chapters yet to come? 500 Annies, with about as many Lit pages as these three chapters, was posted in a single month.

I'm afraid I'll have to wait until ch 7 is posted.

HDVictory1HDVictory1over 3 years ago
I Can’t Believe This Finally Happened!!

First of all, hope that you are checking comments and this finds you well. Many of us have been waiting, some more patiently than others, for you to find time for this installment.

I don’t know how you choose what idea you pursue next, but this was a very good idea. Hope to see this continue.

BaggyUKBaggyUKover 3 years ago
Excellent part 3

Lovely story and great characters, all very believable of the time. Well researched, well planned and beautifully told. Might just say it's a little late...😁 Thank you for sharing this tale. 5*

silentsoundsilentsoundover 3 years ago

I simply love this story.

Very good stuff.

patilliepatillieover 3 years ago
Fantastic Q

So glad y ou picked this up., Cant wait for more installments.

BruceWoBruceWoover 3 years ago

You are one of the best writers. Thank you for continuing the story

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I agree...

you are one of the best. I hope you'll give us more of this story. Thanks.

KidCreoleKidCreoleover 3 years ago
You need to check your calendar

That was the longest two weeks I have ever experienced. But it was worth the wait. 5*.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Excellent, as Always

Took your direction and re-enjoyed parts 1 & 2 first, and then part 3 - wow! Dole out the other three chapters you mentioned Sooner rather than later, please!

vladdimirvladdimirover 3 years ago

I'm hooked, please don't make us wait too long for more.

Lars420Lars420over 3 years ago

Outstanding !

Can't wait for the next installment.

RK52RK52over 3 years ago

I’ve forgotten how much I love this story. Please, please keep it coming. I don’t know if I can wait another year or two for the next part. Really great work.

drycreeksdrycreeksover 3 years ago

Ok i started this n it seemed kinda familiar so i looked back n sure enough i have read the first. U said 3rd part coming in a couple weeks that was in 2018. Dude this is such a great story please dont take 2 years to post another chapter. The story line is great has lotsa possibilities. Please continue u this ASAP it has provided me great enjoyment to read. Than kik s for ur hard work n time.

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 3 years ago

Excellent story!

Eagerly awaiting your next installment.

Hooked1957Hooked1957over 3 years ago

A brilliant series. Enjoying this tremendously.

Hooked

DarkerBindingDarkerBindingover 3 years ago

Finally... chapter 3. You are so mean to us! Be a crappier writer if you are going to hold out so long ;)

.

Thank you for starting back up with this story. Thank you for all the work to give us something good to read.

.

Don't you dare take this long for the next story. I may not make it long enough to read it all ;(

IwanttocommentIwanttocommentover 3 years ago
Welcome back to this story

I bookmarked this 2 years ago and periodically checked in hoping you would update it. Please don't leave us hanging for further episodes

PairadoxPairadoxover 3 years ago
Thank you

For coming back to this one. Re-read the first two chapters before reading this one - and loved them just as much this time through.

moralcompassmoralcompassover 3 years ago

To no-American this story epitomise everything we see or at least I see as wrong with your culture. I must admit I find it very sad so many of you endorse its sentiment. It is well written but did it need to be written?

It is a culture where entrepreneurship, free market enterprise and greed is good. Even better if the fortunate wealthy are philanthropic, they get to wash their hands of their sins and become the good guys.

The hero of the story is a self-made successful businessman. Mostly through had work and good judgement but with some good fortune as well. He is a good boss and treats his employees well. He is kind hearted and supportive of the indigenous people, but he still takes more and more of their land. As a self-appointed Judge, Jury and Chief High Executioner he sees nothing wrong with murdering many native and taking their possessions and making other prisoner for crimes most of them didn’t commit. But he’s the good guy, isn’t he???

He so lucky he gets to kill men who steel from him and even thought it hasn’t happened yet this seems to include the man who took his wife. I don’t recall reading about her leaving kicking and screaming? She ran as soon as she had the chance and who could blame her. Taken from a city upbringing and dumped in the middle of nowhere, left alone by her husband for days or weeks on end in a harsh environment where winters are brutal, with no family or friends for support. Living in an all-male environment with no female companions other than brief visits to town. Her husband was so kind and understanding, such a good guy?? He has the money and the power to hunt her down kill her man and make her life miserable again. Ahh revenge is wonderful. Such a good guy.!!

The story supports the culture of vigilantism where guns are good, might is right, greed is great, the good guy should be able to gun down and kill those who don’t follow his philosophy with impunity. Can’t you see there is something wrong with this lifestyle, with this existence.

There is something seriously wrong when the rich are lorded to the point where you even elect them to be your president regardless of their incompetence. America you have a wonderful nation with a wealth of natural beauty, brilliant, friendly, hardworking and broadminded people who seriously need to sit back and look at yourselves and ask what are we doing to our nation? Stories like this just reinforce the gun culture plaguing your nation. A good read yes but I repeat did it really need to be writer. Surely there are enough exaggeratedly violent, mythical, Weston’s in existence already.

69gman69gmanover 3 years ago
Q you have made me "Happy as Hell"

Thanks for returning to this story. It is an excellent read and well done. +5

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Well written

You are an excellent writer! This is one more riveting story by you!

LakeeriegoatguyLakeeriegoatguyover 3 years ago

Having just stumbled upon this story, I had to read all three chapters, and they are GREAT!!!

Although, I don't remember reading any of your stories that weren't.

I, like your other fans, hope not to wait too long for the next installments. Your nights must be bright, from all the stars you've received. Five, from me, for each chapter...Thanks..

As for moralcompass, if the story, based on the history of the US offends you so much why did you bother to read past chapter one?

I'm no history major, but from what I have read, if you're not of Aboringinal descent, the history of your ancestors, or how they came to be where they are isn't exactly a happy ever after tale either...

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Thank you

Thank you for finally continuing this story. I had to go back to refresh my memory, and glad I did. Five stars for another great chapter.

Spartan22Spartan22over 3 years ago
To moral compass

You said: “ To no-American this story epitomise everything we see or at least I see as wrong with your culture. I must admit I find it very sad so many of you endorse its sentiment.“

I think you are off the mark by looking at this as a current day story of 2020 where this is an old western piece where life was incredibly different. If you are struggling with the morality of the story, then view it as a history piece to possibly enjoy it more. I also think you are taking a big leap when you say the author “endorses it’s sentiment.” I saw nowhere where Mr. Q did such thing. Please forgive me if I am wrong and quote where I missed otherwise.

Oh, and let’s not forget that the wife stealer literally tried to kill the protagonist. Today if that happened, the husband wouldn’t be able to hunt him down the way laws in our society are set up. But back then? Well.

teedeedubteedeedubover 3 years ago
Q

Thanks for picking this story back up and welcome back. We miss you.

And to Moral Compass: Go back to sleep. Find a better system and move there.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
love the story

The story is great - so far.

I love the writing and the pace (of the writing, not the submission pace). The editing needs drastic work. (I am available and I don't use Webster's Illogical Ever-changing PC Dictionary).

Catholic-trained and honorable

Smokepole

moralcompassmoralcompassover 3 years ago

To Spartan22

Thank you so much for your response. This will allow me to quantify my remarks. I am fully aware this is a period piece as you call it. I’m also aware things were viewed differently in your nation then as they were in mine during that time. The problem as I see it is your culture has and continues to popularise and support this type of behaviour to the point of hero worshiping men who were no more that common thugs. As you say in another time they would not have been allowed to get away with their actions.

In 2016 the US was one of the top six nations in the world for the number of deaths by gunshot. I think the US ranked second highest for the total number of deaths. These 6 nations have less than 10% of the world’s population but made up 50% of the gunshot deaths. The other 5 were southern or central American nations. All the usual suspects were there Brazil, Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia and Venezuela. I’m sure lawlessness, drugs and money was behind many of these deaths.

Your nation has twice the number of guns per head of population to any other nation in the world at 120 guns per 100 people. Give that a percentage of your population is too young to own guns it must then equate to about one and half guns per adult.

Stop hero worshiping vigilante’s past and present. Start removing the means to commit these shootings but more importantly start re-educating your population to know while violence and revenge may be desirable it is firmly in the hands of the justice system. Take a leaf out of your neighbour’s book, Canada it is the 7th highest gun owning country in the world but does not even rate a blimp on the number of gunshot deaths. The only difference I can see between you and Canada is the hero worship culture of your nation for those who extract revenge. The good guy has to win every time and good guy like beauty in the eye of the beholder.

I’m no different to anyone else I love to read book by Lee Childs and others, such as his Jack Reacher series where the good guy wins every time. But this is fiction and had little to do with real life situations. I’m Australia and similar to the US the white man took over another mans land here as well. While there probably was not the same fierce battles fort over the land here, I do know many of our indigenous population perished at the hands of my nations’ forefathers. This action though has never been glorified in the manner your popular press has seen fit to do so with the wars between Indians and the white man.

Because of the American cultural influence even I played Cowboy and Indians as a child. We as Australians growing up knew more about America than our own nation. It wasn’t until I was in High School when a History teacher, I respected commented that it was possible Australia had more bushrangers (the equivalent to an US Outlaw) than the US had Outlaws. Australia was after all settled as a penal colony so why wouldn’t criminals return to their craft on release. Apparently, there were 100’s if not 1,000’s of them. Apart from a couple I’m aware of in Ned Kelly and Capitan Starlight they were never glorified the way many of your outlaws were.

Your comments on my provocative comments and yes, I knew my comments would be provocative only goes to reinforce my belief that your nations people have a very long way to go to become a civilised country. Sorry that may sound harsh but how can you be considered civilised when so many of your countrymen want to kill one and other. My problem is not with the author it is with the subject matter. This author is a fantastic writer but why continue to perpetrate the mythology of the west. Surely its time to start showing remorse for the sins of our forefathers not continue to bask in their glory. I’m sorry if I offend you or any of your fellow countrymen but I have two things going for me

One, I live in a democratic nation where we speak out mind and second, I live outside the US so I am in a position to see your nation from a very different prospective to you, you too close and don’t have this advantage. Oh and by the way I’m defiantly not saying Australia is perfect or better than the US we still have many issues to resolve just as your country has.

redbaron172redbaron172over 3 years ago

Great story! I had to go back a re-read the first two chapters to refresh the story. Please don't make us wait so long for other chapters....

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 3 years ago
To moral compass

It is true: we Americans have enshrined our God-given rights in our Constitution, leaving us with things the other supposedly civilized nations do not have. Across the pond, in Merrie Old England, people have been jailed for saying the wrong thing, for criticizing Muslims; in the United States, our First Amendment protects our right to think and say and believe what we wish.

Denying the history of the Holocaust is stupid, but in some European countries, people can and have been imprisoned for Holocaust denial; one man was, in the past few years sentenced to three YEARS in prison for Holocaust denial.

In our good neighbor to the North, people have been legally punished for saying that homosexuality and transgenderism is wrong.

And yes, we do protect our right to keep and bear arms, and we protect our freedom. One of the first things the Communists did in the Soviet Union and China was to ban the private ownership of firearms, to help their governments become the brutal dictatorships they very quickly became. Venezuelans were stupid enough to vote in socialism; in 2012, Venezuela banned the private ownership of firearms, and by 2016 it was a stinking and poverty-ridden dictatorship.

Are there too many murders here? Yes, there are, but if I may be politically incorrect here, if you separate out the murders committed against blacks by other blacks, our murder rate is very low.

Yes, we have, and cherish, our rights to own property. It is true: under our free enterprise system, people can, and do, become very prosperous and accumulate great wealth, but these are things that they have earned by working harder and being smarter than other people. We also allow the lazy to fail in the United States; why should the indolent have a claim to the earnings of those who work?

For all of the things with which you find fault with the United States, most people do not. We have a generous system allowing immigration, and that is so full that millions more have left their homes throughout Latin America to come here illegally.

Americans are free to leave a country that you see as so very horrible, but few do. We have had liberal idiots telling us that they were going to emigrate if George Bush won re-election in 2004, or if Donald Trump won the 2016 election; it never happened. We have wealthy celebrities saying today that if President Trump wins re=election, they'll leave; we don't know yet if the President will be re-elected, but if he is, almost none of those loudmouths will leave, because the United States, with all of its faults, is still the greatest, wealthiest and freest country on the earth.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

@RR, "Americans are free to leave?" - Not so much, With Covid, many countries won't even allow us to visit. Unless we're retired, there's a need to find a job in the new country, not so easy.

As for the 2nd Amendment, too many people, including unfortunately SCOTUS, overlook the first part, regarding the need for a "well regulated militia." The right to keep and bear arms was so that the people would be available to be called out for the militia in times of trouble, That need no longer exists, even if it did, the "original intent" of the Amendment was that there would be a "well regulated militia" that the citizens wold belong to and train with.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago

RR, well stated. I wish I had your way with words, because you said exactly what I was thinking. As for anonymous, since when do the majority of immigrants to America giv a rat's ass about whether they are allowed to be here or not? Sneak into Canada or Mexico, I'm sure you'll receive a warm welcome. They'll probably give you free healthcare and other benefits while you're imprisoned. You'll probably be able to remain with your family too. Despite the left's best efforts, the 2nd Amendment is here to stay. If anyone gets to curtail the right to own arms, the I'm certain that you will soon see how well trained the militia that turns out really is.

moralcompassmoralcompassover 3 years ago

To ReedRichards

I agree with every articulate word you have written in response to my comments. I have not once denigrated the American people for anything other than the gun culture and the sway the almighty dollar plays on both your political and private life. In my country we don’t suffer anywhere near the same problem with guns but that is not to say they are not an issue. We do however still have the same problem as you whereby the wealth hold too much sway.

You have a wonderful nation with freedoms many other countries don’t enjoy. And I alluded to this in my original comments. This is why I find it had to understand your nations reluctance to rectify the abnormally high shooting deaths it has when compared to other westernized nations. By claiming it is mostly Black on Black shooting, which I am not in a position to refute is however just a cop-out. Surely it matters not which section of your community is largely responsible, it is up to the nations leaders and its people to rectify the problem. Indisputably removing guns from circulation is a small step in the right direction.

I believe it was one of your countrymen but I don’t know who said and I’m sure I’m not quoting him precisely. “All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” There are an abundance of good men and women in your country. Your nation has produced some of the finest people in many fields including politics, business, science, law, literature and sport the list goes on and on. You name it and your nation has not only succeeded but normally exceeded. So why are you so reluctant to make it a safer place to live? Why are you still rejoicing in the transgressions of your forefathers?

I have read most of qhml1 work and believe he is a fantastic author but surely, he can write a period piece without depicting the hero a vengeful, murdering, robber baron. It just perpetuates the mythology and gives the perception that might is right. This may well have been the norm for the time period but do we really need to continue to idealise this behaviour? You should be thankful for the freedoms your forefathers fort to provide you, but be aware that not everything the did was right by todays enlightened standards. Precisely the same thing applies to my country. While I can not be prosecuted or condemned for the sins of my ancestors, I can at least try not to perpetrate them.

Oh, and by the way I’m looking forward to qhml1’s next chapter. What an oxymoron A.

luedonluedonover 3 years ago

We've all got our problems, Moral Compass.

.

They've got guns, we've got poker machines. Our chances of controlling Australia's addiction to gambling is as much a lost cause as is theirs with guns. As well as that, they have the NRA lobbying and we have the gaming lobby ensuring the politicians don't change it.

.

Lue

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Thanks

Glad you are well and glad you finally submitted Ch 03. What a talented author almost Mitchner on a smaller scale but with the same penchant for small details that aren't commonly known or thought of.

Once again Thanks!

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 3 years ago

Wasn't sure how I'd feel about this type of story when I started but you have a convert. Can't wait for the next chapter!

ifeanyiifeanyiover 3 years ago
Excellent

Your story good die! Guy you sabi wella! Na Orlando Dey hail you all the way from Lagos, Naija. I hope say the story never finish sha? I go dey wait for ch 4. Thanks

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 3 years ago
Excellent Story!

I am enjoying this story immensely! Hope he gets that mare back.

Ravey19Ravey19over 3 years ago
Excellent

Plenty of detail yet it flows so fast. Rocky's life is sure to get even more complicated. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
If you edit ...

Page 1; 2 days & 2 weeks could be fixed.

“Two days later all the leaders, Skunk, me, and Dark Horse sat around a fire. We passed the pipe and got the blessings out of the way before we started plotting our revenge. Several scouts had back-trailed the bunch and found their village. It was a two-week journey farther north and was a good-sized village.“

But: *****

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 3 years ago

great story the second time around and still good:}

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
HUH!

You got john Wayne playing the lead in this little drama! LOL!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Excellent continuation. Bravo and thx

5*

BJ

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories

The Unicorn 
4.84
1.9k
621
Irish Eyes 
4.82
3.5k
788
I'm 51 
4.83
765
587
Drive 
4.82
1k
495
More Stories