Roderick and Gorlana Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We ALL will be accompanying her highness to Orthanhall, along with the forces you have chosen," Todrin said curtly.

Roderick sat silent for a moment resisting glancing back at the oversized procession parading down the road, "That was not what we agreed to," he finally said. "I suppose we'll have to discuss it."

"Her highness has been outfitted with an appropriate security force to ensure her safety."

"By who's command?" Roderick asked doubtfully.

"Hers," Todrin said. A cough sounded somewhere behind him and he smoothly continued, "In wise consultation with her advisors, including myself. I will not have our Princess Heir be put in harms way."

Roderick scoffed, "So you would march into a territory with whom we share a tenuous peace, with a force large enough to be considered a threat to any holds we pass beside, but not large enough to win a battle against a full clan when they respond to the intimidation you would pose?"

The lieutenant bristled, but seemed to begrudgingly remember who he was talking to, "First-General, as you yourself say, we are at peace,"

"Armistice, really, and one that may not last if we march in with an army that appears set to do damage rather than a smaller peaceful envoy," Roderick explained. "A large enough envoy to ward off brigands and small rebellious bands, mind you," he reassured him.

The man seemed to want to argue more but resisted, "You will have to discuss it with her highness I suppose," he said.

Roderick rolled his eyes "I have no doubt that Valessa's skills in diplomacy will be above any others when we reach Orthanhall but until then-..."

"HER HIGHNESS. ... is what you must refer to her as. Do not speak of her in so familiar a name," Todrin erupted in offence. Then seemed to catch himself again, "... First General." he added, looking flushed.

"I appreciate your... advice. Todrin, we tend to be a little more casual out here in Orthalia. Though I will mind my manners when in her presence. She can't hear us back in that carriage and I had hoped we could simply speak man-to-man for practical purposes right now."

"Of course First General. Then I will speak my mind as well. Though I will remind you I am a Lieutenant in the employ of the palace specifically, and you have no power to demote me if you find me too disagreeable. My job is to protect her highness and I will not stray from that duty."

"Well good, then we're working for the same goal," Roderick said. "And, if her gracious royal highness insists on putting the realm in danger by putting herself in danger on this journey, then I will not stray from my duty to get her pampered bottom to Orthanhall by whatever means necessary to do what she needs to do. Even if I have to throw her over my shoulder and carry her there kicking and screaming."

There was a giggle behind him from one of the female soldiers, and it made Roderick rein himself in.

"I know you and many others probably think me too young for this station and too young to be thinking like this, but I have fought too long in this war. I've seen too many good men die to squander this chance at peace, so I WILL see to it that we traverse Orthalia safely, peacefully, and respectfully to make that happen. So we are of the same mind Lieutenant. Let's help each other do our jobs."

"As you command First General," Todrin said with a flat face. "I just hope you don't insult her highness too harshly in doing so."

"She needs to hear the truth. You know her better than I, but I've gotten the sense that despite her age and pompous attitude, she is surprisingly intelligent, and practical when she needs to be. I have faith that she'll see reason, and understand that we need a smaller force, and that her ridiculous carriage needs modifications like larger wheels and wider axles if we're going to drag it any father than ten miles through Orthalia. That her meals will dwindle in quality, the further out we get. And, most importantly, that her flawless beauty will do nothing to impress these Orcs, and maintaining any of what she considers a Royal appearance will not do us any damn good out there."

"As you say, First-General," Todrin said, looking straight ahead with a smirk.

Roderick continued in irritation, "So I don't know if half of these men and women are soldiers or servants for her royal highness, but either way, if she insists on them, then she can go without me and come limping back to Glenhold after a week, at most."

"If you would relinquish your duty in such a way, I would get her to Orthanhall, you have my word. And if you would prefer it as such, then so be it." Todrin said, with what was now a suspiciously satisfied look.

There was a short silence as both men seemed to be finished arguing. Then finally Roderick heard a sigh behind him and suddenly Princess Valessa's voice spoke.

"There will be no need for that Todrin. Is it so vexing for you to know that I was right?" Valessa said in a teasing voice.

Roderick spun and almost fell off of his saddle. He looked behind him to recognize Valessa's giggling face as she took off the helm she had been wearing. She was riding with the other three female soldiers in matching light leather travelling armour. She somehow looked no less beautiful.

Roderick let out a long sigh and shook his head with a chuckle, "Princess. A pleasure to meet you again," he said with a nod of his head over his shoulder and trying to match the coolness of her smirk. Though as he stared forward again his face went flat trying to recount everything he had just said about her.

"I have had nightly arguments with Todrin here over the size and garishness of this entourage and of my personal needs, or LACK thereof in my opinion," she said, trotting her horse up between the two men.

"I am simply trying to maintain propriety your highness!" Todrin defended. "Do you hear this man? He would have you travel to Orthanhall, crawling through brambles in a fen!"

"I didn't say th-"

"Quiet both of you," Valessa shook her head. "Roderick let this be a lesson that you will discuss concerns with ME personally, and not behind my back. Todrin, I was right. Our force is too large. My carriage not equipped properly, and if we use it at all it will be as a decoy, as it is now. If I am to travel through a new country, I want to actually SEE it, from my horse. I wish this to be a BREAK from palace life, and thus not for the entire palace to travel with me. We will all discuss specifics to ensure this trip goes smoothly. Though I am not ALL the things the First-General has described me as, I AM practical, when I need to be."

There was another short awkward silence, until the two men spoke in unison.

"As you command, your highness,"

"Yes, Princess Va-... your highness,"

She gave a wry smile, "Glad to hear it."

After another long silence Roderick asked, "So who's in the carriage?"

"My double," Valessa replied casually.

Roderick gave a frown and looked behind him.

"It's an extremely common practice," she reassured him. "... Alright maybe not EXTREMELY, but in this case it seemed logical, and this way I can actually breathe the fresh air and see the countryside."

"This will not be a vacation princess," Roderick warned, ignoring a scowl from Todrin.

"I know," she replied, unoffended. "Even so. I will not sit like a fragile vase in a box for the entire journey, and if it does actually save me from an assassin or kidnapping then so be it."

Roderick looked behind him again doubtfully.

Valessa responded with a slight guilt in her voice, "Doubles are volunteers... who are paid well, and are always free to leave our employ."

Roderick finally shrugged, "I suppose it's not a terrible idea."

Valessa nodded and sat up straighter, "Now, Roderick, how large did you intend for our ambassadorship to be?"

Roderick didn't hesitate, "Most of the orc clans we'll pass by should be comfortable with fifty."

"Fifty!?" Todrin spat incredulously. "You would leave her highness more exposed than a merchant's cara-"

"You involved me because of my experience in Orthalia, I'm telling you it is MORE dangerous t-"

"Enough! Both of you. Todrin we will not enter with an army, but Roderick, I do think fifty sounds too few. As a negotiator I love a good compromise. I say we settle on 75."

Both men scoffed, but Valessa chose to look at Roderick with indignation. "Todrin's tally of our combined forces would have put us at 150, I was taking your side in going with 75."

"...Fine. 75 is fine. Total. Not just soldiers." Roderick agreed.

Valessa nodded coolly and raised an eyebrow at Todrin.

The lieutenant shook his head but relented, "Fine. I still say it's too few."

"And mark my words I still say it's too many." Roderick muttered.

Valessa simply sat up straight, in satisfaction that it was decided. "It's not too many," she reassured him.

...

3 days later.

"You are too many," the Orc intoned with gruff authority, standing at the front of his clansmen blocking the road into their territory.

Roderick sighed as he heard Valessa scoff behind him, but thankfully she stayed silent otherwise.

Unfortunately Todrin spoke up beside him, "We are a PEACEFUL force, bringing her highness on INVITATION from your Queen. Have you not been given orders to let us pass?!"

Roderick stepped forward and spoke to the Orc-Chief, "What he means is... we have not been outfitted well enough to mount any attack on your holds. Yes we hold weapons, but please try to understand the human's need for defence, and forgive their mistrust of honour. They have not shared fire with you."

The chief eyed Roderick with a scowl but nodded with some level of respect, yet he insisted, "So that may be. It is OUR way to not trust any enemy group of more than ten fists to go unchallenged in our hills. You must send some back."

Roderick looked at Todrin's confused face and translated, "Fifty," with more than a little gloat to his voice, unable to help it. He turned back to the chieftain. "Ten fists, if that is your insistence, we will respect it, but how far between such bands?"

The orc cocked his head with a frown.

"We will split our force in two," Roderick explained. "How far must one travel behind the other for you to honour our passage."

The orc nodded with a scowl, but did not argue. After a long silent thought he replied, "No closer than two hills between."

Roderick gestured vaguely at the slow rolling plain in front of them to help Todrin understand, and replied to the orc, "We will respect your command."

The lieutenant at least had the decency to mutter his objection to Roderick rather than blurt it out at the chief, "It will leave us exposed! How do you know he does not intend t-"

"It's this or turn around. ...or break the peace right now," Roderick whispered back harshly.

Todrin wasn't satisfied and turned to the Orc, "We will have to discuss-"

"How we will organize our groups," Roderick interrupted with a glare at Todrin that thankfully shut him up, and they both turned back to the line of soldiers.

Roderick was unable to read Valessa's face below her helm ten feet behind them. She followed him with the other soldiers and finally when they were out of range of the orcs she spoke up.

"I share your concern Todrin, but we evidently have no choice. We will split. In even ranks?" she asked.

"Yes."

"No."

The two men answered in unison.

Valessa put her hands on her hips, "By the Gods this will be a blessing just to get you two oxen away from each other."

Todrin replied, "Fifty will stay with you, princess. I will not have you protected with any less."

Valessa eyed him for a short moment. "Fine. That will allow an oversized scouting party of twenty five to travel ahead. Will you disagree General?" she asked Roderick, with a look that dared him to argue.

"No," he replied flatly.

"Good. Let's start organizing and not waste any more time."

...

After the past 3 days, Roderick was glad to be free of the Princess and the Lieutenant to go ahead with the first party. Though Todrin was perhaps coming around with a grudging respect, it was slow going if so. He had not been told the man would be coming with them, and now command was dubiously split between them it seemed, even though Roderick should technically outrank him. Given the coolness between him and Valessa, Roderick wondered if he had been sent against her wishes, perhaps as a more direct representative of the king. He had gotten a sense that the old man on the throne would have had more arguments against their plan, had he the ability to voice them. Despite the agreements reached in the meeting, Roderick wondered what kind of camps might be split inside the palace council. He supposed he shouldn't delude himself into thinking Valessa ever had it easy in her position.

His wandering mind was interrupted as they rode over the windy plain.

"I do not understand why you two do not simply mate with each other," Korb said, riding next to him in the afternoon sun.

Roderick bristled and looked around but no one was paying attention to their words. "I don't want to m-... have relations with her Korb."

"You know you cannot lie to me about these things friend, I could smell it on you when you were around her."

"She wasn't the only woman around," Rod said, knowing it didn't sound convincing, "and even then, all you can smell is a physical attraction that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea, with any amount of my better sense."

Korb squinted his eyes at him doubtfully, "I understand what you claim. Just because we make a stink over a woman doesn't mean we always mate, let alone Rutt, but the wants of the body are not the only thing we smell. I suspect even with your weaker nose, you know I'm right."

"Even if I did, it's not worth dreaming. She's out of my reach."

"You are First-General."

"Yeah, but I'm low-born, even making it this high up the ladder I'm-" he looked around, "...out of my depth."

Korboq made a snort, "You are a fine mating specimen, by any account I've understood. I've heard female women speak of you a-"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm not saying I've had no luck, but it's about rank. Korb you don't do so bad yourself but would you have ever tried to mate with Queen Malgora?"

Korb's face went a much paler green, "Don't SPEAK of such a thing."

"My point exactly."

"Well if by some hex the queen actually did-" Korb looked around nervously now, "signal to mate with me I would not have refused. Even though I no longer serve her, and she is older true, but a formidable woman of course."

"Well, it's not like Valessa's given off any 'scent'," Roderick said, wanting to move on from the topic and hoping he had made Korb uncomfortable enough to do the same.

"Yes she has," Korb said with a confused obviousness.

Roderick spun his head towards him and nearly lost his balance on his horse. "...what?"

"She has. I could smell it. That's what I was saying. I thought you understood."

"Well I didn't. ...but even then I was never the only man around."

"I don't think I'm wrong. Human's are never as straight forward as orcs and it was almost overshadowed by her nervousness and fear, but it was there I would swear it."

"Fear?"

"Oh yes, she's been deathly afraid since we set out. ...Do you have a cold?"

Roderick sniffed, "I... don't like relying on my nose, and the scent's more subconscious for me than anything, and if there's a lot of people around things get jumbled. I'm..." He looked around again, sure that no one was listening, "...only an eighth after all."

Korboq shook his head, "I don't know how any of you noseblind humans end up mating by any other way than by accident. I assumed if you couldn't share scent that you would simply speak of these things openly, but you do that even less than us."

Roderick shrugged, "We're less blunt. Though sometimes I wonder if things would run smoother in Andralia if we all had your noses. I... didn't realize she was that scared. I guess I should have suspected. She hides it well."

"She is far out of her homeland. I felt the same in Andrapolis," Korboq admitted.

Roderick sighed, "I suppose I could try to be more understanding."

"That would be an excellent idea, for more reasons than one," Korboq agreed with a wink and a toothy grin.

...

"No you don't understand," Valessa sighed patronizingly.

Roderick stiffened his hands on the reigns forcing patience on himself and gently asked, "You said yourself they were rivals, why would they ally in the house?"

"Because House Firtund and Belamis are both primarily agricultural, so even though they compete, they have similar interests politically, when it comes to tariffs and laws."

"I don't know why this is so important."

"In your perfect world perhaps it wouldn't be, but like it or not you cannot escape politics and thus you cannot escape the nobles and their needs and desires," Valessa explained.

"They sound more ridiculous than I even imagined."

"Oh and you have no needs and desires?" she asked.

"Mine are more practical."

"Is that so?"

"Yes."

"Not petty or selfish at all?"

"...Not generally no," he replied stubbornly.

"Well look at you, suddenly sounding so much like a noble. Everyone else's needs are petty and selfish and only my own are for the good of the realm," she teased with a giggle.

Roderick turned red but smirked back at her and replied, "Fine, you win."

"Get used to it," she said with an amused smile.

Roderick set his jaw and replied, "So what other houses must I know about,"

"All of them. So let's see, house Laxindae then, an old line, well established mainly through smelting and coinage."

"Ah. Should've guessed that man literally makes money."

"Hmm?"

"You know, the jaw with the human hanging off of it. From after the ceremony."

Valessa's half smile tightened slightly, "Insulting the more superior nobles behind their backs. I'm impressed. It's like you're genuinely trying to fit in with them."

He ignored the quip, "So he's a powerful man then?"

"Chasdon? Yes, in that his family is. His father is still alive though and the keys to their mint will be torn from his cold dead hands. He leaves his son to do all the managerial work for them, and he's more than up to the task. They are a pompous lot, but very competent and I would dissuade you from making an enemy of them."

"You spend a lot of time with him then?"

"Of course," she said nonchalantly. "How could I not?"

Roderick was silent for a moment, then against his better judgment asked, "I couldn't be sure whether your relationship with him was merely professional or... more."

"That is a rather improper topic to be discussing with your princess, General," she said, almost interrupting him.

"I... apologize, your highness,"

"Oh, you can call me Valessa. Just don't get too familiar. I don't know what rumours you heard, but the princess-heir is not currently courting and that is that. Chasdon is a skilled man, especially in his words and wit, and convincing others to tow the line. He is a valuable ally and though I share some of your irritation with him, I by no means mind making use of his deft tongue."

Roderick wanted to reply but found his mind stuck for a moment.

"Speaking of courting. It was a shame you left that throne room so quickly that day," Valessa continued. "There were a few of the ladies who were eager to have you kiss their hands."

"How are you so sure I have no one else?" Roderick said, feeling irritated.

"I have been able to glean a fair amount of information about you General," Valessa said, then faltered slightly when he made no reply, "Well... I at least am sure you're not married."

"I'm focused on the war. It wouldn't be fair to leave a woman at home while I'm off fighting and liable to be killed," he said stiffly. He looked away from her, the curves of her body still distracting under the armour as she rocked in the saddle.