Royal Gambit

Story Info
When the king dies, a prince is forced to marry the queen.
6.5k words
20.5k
77
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The king is dead."

Finn stared at the messenger standing outside his bedroom door, a look of pure awe and shock on his face. His bedroom was still dark, save for the small light on his nightstand. When he'd gone to sleep that night, his dad was perfectly fine, now he was hearing he was dead. It was like his whole world just collapsed in front of him.

Realizing the messenger was still standing there, he got his wits back about him and nodded, "Uh, thank you."

Finn shut the door and took a shaky breath. He had no idea what to do. His dad had never really run him through the whole process of transferring power, he honestly didn't even want him to be king in the first place.

Finn was by no means idiotic, he was certain someone in the royal court could tell him exactly what he needed to do, someone who didn't have an agenda. He was the prince after all and that title still held power in the halls of the palace. Everyone in the empire knew of his military campaigns in the south or how he prevented a famine from escalating into an even further crisis.

He sighed and walked over to his wardrobe, quickly changing from his blue robe to something a little more presentable. Just as he finished buttoning up his shirt, he heard someone knock on his door.

"Yeah?" He turned to the door.

"Prince, we need you in the throne room." A voice called back.

"I'll be there, just give me ten minutes."

The voice didn't respond but he knew they were still there. He reached into his wardrobe and grabbed his sword. Like all patriarchs in the royal family, he had a sword. However, his sword wasn't just cosmetic or ceremonial, he'd fought countless battles with it. He just wasn't sure if he could use it in the upcoming battle of figuring out what the hell he was supposed to do.

After opening his door, he found a familiar and friendly face standing in front of him.

"Chinny." He smiled.

"Finn." Chinny gave him a crooked grin, "I figured you'd want a friend in these trying times."

Finn never said it but he actually liked when Chinny addressed him by name and not by title. He considered him his best friend after all, despite the fact that Chinny was an outcast of his noble family. Somehow, he'd found his way into Finn's military unit and the rest became history. His family was surprised to learn of his status as an officer in the king's army, especially after they'd so cruelly casted him out.

"So, tell me what's going on?" Finn said as he started walking.

Chinny sighed, "Your father had a heart attack. No one saw this coming. The surgeons tried to revive him but they were too late, now everyone is worried about who will take his place."

Finn gave him a bewildered look, "Me obviously."

His friend bit his lip, "I wouldn't be so sure of that. You know Sir Delphin?"

"What about him?" Finn asked, not really worried about some lower nobleman.

"Well, rumors are he's planning on assuming the title of king and marrying your mother."

Finn gritted his teeth, he didn't really like Delphin. He was a bad leader, proven by the countless failed companies under his charge. He was also a horrible person, he had horrible working conditions for his workers and still advocated for slavery, despite slavery having been done away with decades ago for being a barbaric and cruel practice. The only reason he wasn't executed was because he owned a gold mine in the east, he practically bought his way out of death.

"So, what am I going to do?" He asked.

"I can run you through the process." Chinny offered.

"Please do."

"Alright," Chinny said, "First, we need to verify that you are physically capable of being the king. No defects, nothing."

"What about my battle scars?" He asked worriedly.

Chinny waved his hand, "Don't worry, those aren't considered defects. The generals would declare a civil war if they were." He continued, "Secondly, we'll need the queen to approve of you. That's the part that I think you will struggle with."

"What do you mean approve of me?" He asked, "She's my mom, of course she'd approve of me."

"That's not what I mean." Chinny said in a dark tone, "She'd need to approve of you becoming her husband. As king, you'd have to marry the queen. In this case, that would be your own mother."

It was times like this where Finn cursed the empire's stupid customs and traditions. He'd heard other monarchs around the world didn't have that rule in place. Sure, his mother was a beautiful woman but he didn't want to marry her for crying out loud. Then there was the age difference between them, his mother was about 33, he was just turning 19. He hadn't had a drop of experience when it came to marriage or love, war and leadership was all he'd ever known.

"Don't worry, I'm sure we can work something out." Chinny said as he opened the throne room doors for him.

Finn walked into the throne room, the guards and nobles bowing as he walked past. He looked straight ahead at the empty throne where his father used to sit and the throne next to it, where his mother sat with a troubled look on her face and her legs crossed, though it was hard to tell due to the long dress she wore.

Sir Delphin was already in front of the steps to the throne, on his knees.

"My queen, please consider my proposal." He said, "We must have a king by morning."

"There's no rule saying we need a king by morning." His mom shot him down, "now, behave yourself."

She gave Finn a look as he stood next to Delphin. He didn't kneel, customs and courtesies weren't really his thing. That's why the generals loved him, he didn't care for stupid acts such as kneeling, he was more practical.

"Finn." She said, her voice tight, "Kneel."

"Do I have to?" He groaned, much to the snickering of a few nobles.

"As your mother, yes." She said in a strict motherly tone.

"Fine." He knelt on one knee, giving Delphin a dirty look before standing again.

His mother sighed, she didn't look too happy about the whole situation, "As you've heard, your father is dead. That means we need to find a replacement for him and my husband. Delphin, you've made your intention of becoming king known, however, tradition states that only members of the royal family can assume roles of power."

"Yes, my queen, but tradition also states that nobles outside the royal family can assume the role if there is no viable successor." Delphin replied, "I'm not sure if Prince Finn is a viable successor."

His mom raised an eyebrow, "Explain."

"Well, for starters, he's left-handed." Delphin said, "Many of the peasants see left-handed people as evil. Many of them wouldn't hesitate to believe that Finn is the devil's first man. Especially after his military conquests."

"You say that because every campaign you went on ended in defeat?" Finn bit out.

A few of the generals in the back laughed loudly, much to Delphin's embarrassment.

"And his childish attitude is not to be desired." Delphin grumbled, "My queen, I am an experienced lover and leader, please. I'm sure you would not want to marry your own son?"

His mom gave him a look, "It's been done before. As a mother, I'm horrified by the idea but as a queen, I understand it." She stood up and walked down the steps, "Come, let's discuss this in my chambers."

"Mom." Finn protested.

His mother turned on him with a sharp look, "Not right now, Finn. Wait here."

Finn nearly gutted Delphin as he watched him leave with his mom. He sighed and walked over to the right side of the court, the side with all of the generals and admirals. He had more support there, a lot more nobles supported Delphin because he bought their support. The military supported Finn and he knew it, he'd earned their support and respect in war.

"My prince," General Raven whispered, "Just give us the command, we are prepared to execute a coup. You will be on that throne."

"No need." Finn waved his hand, "Clearly my mom has made her choice."

The generals looked conflicted. Some of them looked like they had something to say but the others just looked pissed.

"If you don't mind me saying, we'd rather not have that scoundrel in charge." A general grumbled, "He's a coward in the face of death."

"I know." Finn said, "Hopefully my mother isn't blinded by grief and realizes he's nothing but a scared man with gold."

"Hear, hear!"

Finn smiled, even if Delphin assumed the role of king, there was no guarantee the military would follow him willingly. If anything, he wouldn't be surprised if a soldier ended up killing him before he could even do anything.

That was also putting aside the fact that his mother could very well end up killing him, she'd killed people before. Finn was certain that his behavior would've earned him an execution by his mother's hand if it weren't for the fact that he was her son and she loved him. Even if she acted all stiff in front of the royal court, she actually loved him in private.

Chinny walked over, "I sent a guard to eavesdrop on Delphin. If he tries anything, he'll be cut down."

"Thank you." Finn nodded, "I'm just more worried about my mother marrying that imbecile."

He really didn't want to think about Delphin fucking his mom. Delphin's physical stature wasn't anything to be proud of. He was skinny, like a famine survivor. His face looked more evil than anything.

"Sir, if you don't mind us asking, why didn't you marry a maiden?" An admiral asked, "If you'd married, your mother could abdicate her throne."

"Who would I have married?" Finn asked, "Too many women in the empire want nothing more than the chance to steal power."

Finn hated the process of finding him a suitable wife, in fact, that was one of the biggest conflicts between him and his father. The women were either beautiful but in it for the title or ugly. There was only one woman who he found both beautiful and sincere and she'd died from disease. His father tried to get him to move on but he didn't, he just threw himself into the next military campaign and drowned his sorrows away with bloodshed.

"Don't worry, we'll figure this out." Chinny patted him on the shoulder, "Your mom is a smart woman, she knows who is right for the throne."

Finn sighed and sat down next to an admiral, he really wished this had happened during the day. It was still the dead of night and he was exhausted, he wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep. If he could do that, he'd be a happy man.

It was about five minutes later when the throne room burst open and a guard ran in, "Prince Finn, come quick, it's your mother!"

Finn shot out of his chair, if something had happened to his mom...

"Stay here." He ordered the generals, who'd gotten up to help him.

He ran towards the guard, who turned and started leading him towards his mother's room. The entire time, Finn had his hand clutched around his sword. He wouldn't hesitate to cut Delphin down if he found out he so much as even breathed a wrong breath around his mom. He'd make him sorry.

When they reached his mother's chambers, he was surprised to find Delphin on the ground, clutching his crotch and groaning in pain. His mother stood outside, her arms crossed and a firm look on her face. She glared down at the noble, her hair noticeably messy.

"Mom, what happened?" He asked.

"This disgusting parasite attempted to rape me." She glowered.

Delphin looked up, "Please, that wasn't my intention."

"Save it for the gallows."

Finn nearly unsheathed his sword when his mother said, "Don't you dare. I want him to suffer. First, he'll get to see this." His mom walked over and kissed him on the cheek before turning to Delphin, "You suggested I revoke my son's royal status, what kind of mother do you take me for? I value my son over you, I value him over my title!"

Finn smiled at his mom, who had a hand on his chest, mainly holding him back from tearing Delphin apart.

His mom continued, "I've encountered many scoundrels in my life but you are easily the worst. Guard, take him to the prison."

The guard that led Finn there smiled and leaned down to pick Delphin off the floor before dragging him away. Both royals smiled as they heard Delphin cry out for mercy.

"Uh, mom, what exactly did you do to him?" Finn asked, turning to his mother.

"I kicked him." She shrugged, "He was trying to get me to revoke your title, he said he wanted his son to assume the role of prince."

"But he doesn't have a son." Finn said in a confused tone.

"He wanted to make one." She said, a disgusted look on her face, "Either way, that's not why I called you here." She opened the door to her chambers and motioned for him to follow her, "I called you here because I want your opinion."

He followed her into the bedroom. Her bedroom was significantly nicer than his. His had a nice view but that was it. Other than that, it was a mess of maps and scrolls. Weapons were usually littered around his room, everything from grenades to swords. His mother's room was nice, decorated with rare and one-of-a-kind art pieces, like the diamond shark she'd gotten as a gift from the sea people. The carpet was nicer too, though he could've gone without the dove designs on the carpet.

His mom stripped out of her long dress, "These ceremonial garbs get annoying. I wish your father didn't love them so much."

Without the dress, his mom really showed off her beauty. She was only wearing a black lace bra and panties to cover herself up underneath her dress but she didn't look embarrassed at all, even as Finn looked away and angled his body so she didn't see the erection that was starting to form. Her breasts were perfectly large and round, all snug in her bra. Her round hips were perfect for holding onto.

She sat on her bed and sighed, "I really do not want to seek out another husband. A lot of men either want the title or my body, I want someone who I know loves me. I saw it in Delphin's eyes, he wants power and nothing more. He had no love for me, only lust."

Finn nodded, not really sure of what to say.

"I understand this will be rough for both of us but I'm heavily considering marrying you." She said at last, "Frankly, it's for selfish reasons. I'd rather not have some whore out there marrying you, just as I'd rather not have some scoundrel marry me."

Hearing his mother's mature voice say that was oddly arousing. He wasn't sure why, his mother's voice was always so smooth and mature, it sounded sultry pretty much all the time. Every time she talked, it sounded like she was trying to seduce someone.

"But I need to know that you'd be willing to do what needs to be done." She said firmly, "If not, then I will find someone else."

Finn sighed and kneeled, he didn't kneel on his own often so a surprised look took over his mother's face. He may have had some reservations about marrying the queen but as a prince, he had a duty to his empire.

"I'll do whatever you tell me to do." He said.

"Anything?" She cooed quietly, her eyes glinting dangerously.

He nodded.

"Good." She smiled, "Because mother's always right. Now, get up, let's go tell the council of our decision."

*

Telling the council about the decision to marry was much easier than Finn thought it would be. He really thought they would've made some big deal out it, that a son shouldn't be marrying his mother. He certainly would've made a big deal out of it. Yet nearly every hand went up in favor of their marriage, some of them didn't even seem phased, it was like they'd seen this happen before and they could've cared less.

Finn stood next to his mother, who addressed everyone.

"Now, I see we have all votes in favor." She said, looking out over everyone, "I presume everyone understands what this means?"

A chorus of 'aye' filled the throne room. Finn still wasn't sure what he was supposed to do, he'd sort of been standing right next to his mother like he had when he was young.

"Good." She sounded pleased, "Now if anyone—"

"Excuse me, my queen!" Chinny spoke up.

"Yes?" She gave him an expectant look.

"If you don't mind, can I explain how things will proceed to Finn? I'm sure he needs an explanation."

Finn watched as his mother sighed through her nose and nodded, "Very well, make it quick. I do not like to wait." She shifted her legs before sitting back down on her throne.

Finn followed Chinny outside the throne room, ignoring the looks from the nobles. A few of the nobles knew Chinny's story and never understood the prince's friendship with him.

"You got very lucky, Chinny." He said as the doors closed, "I'm surprised my mom didn't have you executed."

"Ha, very funny." Chinny mocked him, "Anyways, did your mom tell you what needs to happen next?"

"Not really, she mentioned she'd like to marry me and that's it. She said something about how she'd rather marry me than some random guy." He said.

"I thought so." Chinny sighed, "She's trying to destroy you."

"Huh?" Finn's eyes widened, "She's my mom. She wouldn't do that."

"No, not destroy you physically, she wants to destroy you in terms of the process. You know what that is, right?"

Finn shook his head.

Chinny sighed, "Man, they should've really dragged you into the royal academy rather than let you run off and invade random countries. Destroying someone means to completely blindside them in the marriage process. Basically, you'll be so shocked by what happens that she will have full reign over what to do with you. Trust me, queens are not as pleasant to their lovers like people think."

"What the fuck are you on about?" Finn asked.

"Do you know the three processes of marriage?" Chinny asked, "Pleasure, pain, creation?"

"No."

"Figures. Pleasure isn't bad, it's the first time you and your wife have sex together, though for royals it's different. In this case, since your mother chose to marry you and not the other way around, she gets to pick where this happens. Then there's pain. For ten minutes, she will have complete freedom to do whatever she wants to you, even if it hurts. She can whip you, cut you, even force you to kill for her. Again, since she chose to marry you, she gets the ten minutes to do what she wants."

"The fuck kind of process is that?"

"The pain part is to make sure you truly love your partner, that no matter what they put you through, you'll still love them. It's also a test for them, to see what they'd be willing to do to the one they love." Chinny said, "Then there's creation. Normally, peasants replace this with feasting, where they have a giant meal together. For royals, it's different. Since the positions must be filled, you and your wife, or in this case, your mother, have to have a baby together."

Now Finn was mind-fucked. His mom hadn't told him any of this. He'd observed marriages in other empires and they never did anything like this, it was always just a kiss and boom, they were married.

"Don't tell me we have to do this in front of people." He said.

"No, it's all private. Marriages are a private affair around here, you know that. Seriously, when was the last time you attended an actual marriage in this country?"

Now that Finn thought about it, he had never really attended one because he'd never been invited. Perhaps this was the reason why. That must've explained his birth then, he always wondered why most royals from other countries were so old and yet his parents were somewhat younger. If they had him as soon as they were married, it made all the sense in the world now.

"We should go back but don't forget, she may be your mother but she's still a woman." Chinny said, "Don't think she won't hesitate to break you. After tonight, she won't just be your mom anymore."

*

Shortly after returning to his mom, Finn found himself actually kind of scared of her. He'd faced countless armies on the battlefield, stared down a crocodile while wading through a river, survived a shipwreck on an island full of cannibals, and had even survived a sword to the gut. Yet his mother terrified him like no other.

12