Sabella & Malcolm Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I can't believe your father allowed you to live with a man you weren't married to," Malcolm said still amazed at the notion.

"Whether or not I moved in with Edward or not wasn't my father's decision to make," Sabella said trying to keep a hold on her temper. "My father accepted my decision the same way he accepted my decision to move out on my own, because I'm a grown woman, capable of making my own decisions and totally responsible for the consequences of those decisions. In my time, I don't need to seek my parents' approval for anything I want to do. Especially when I'm supporting myself."

"But didn't you want your parents' approval?" Malcolm asked.

"In this instance no," Sabella replied, "since the whole point was to shock everyone."

"Why?"

"Growing up my parents, friends, relatives, everyone saw me as the good child," Sabella said her voice a little tense, "the little angel."

"Isn't that the way all parents see their little girl?" Malcolm asked.

"Yes," Sabella said. "I was the symbol of what every parent wanted their daughter to be. I carried this title all through my school years. I was so good at it that my parents' friends wanted their daughters to hand out with me, be around me hoping that some of my goodness would rub off on their daughters. The week decided to shock my parents I had just found out what they had done. I found out that the rest of the kids found out what the other parents were doing, and they thought it was so funny that I became known as Sabella Jamison the headmistress of Sabella's School of Goody-two Shoes. I was so angry with my parents when I found what was going on that I decided I should do something to show everyone that I could be bad. Edward had been after me for weeks to move in with him, so when he asked me again that week to move in with him, I said yes. But, I didn't say yes because I wanted to be with him. I said it with images of the looks on my family's and friends' faces when I told them, or they found out what I was about to do."

"And how did you feel when you got the reaction you wanted?" Malcolm asked.

"It wasn't what I expected," Sabella said, "and I found myself living with a man, I cared nothing about, causing both of us to waste four months of our lives neither of us will ever get back. I also caused my parents a lot of pain and worry, but I wasn't sorry for doing it. I was so angry with my parents for not protecting me, I didn't care about the pain, I caused them."

"Not, protecting you?"

"Yes, I could've developed some of the other girls bad habits."

"You are kidding," Malcolm said as he started laughing.

"It's not funny," Sabella said hitting Malcolm on the shoulder and pushing him away from her.

"You make it sound as if the girls could've infected you with their bad habits," Malcolm said.

"I'm saying they might've swayed me to go in a different direction," Sabella said.

"I don't think anyone could have swayed you into doing anything," Malcolm said arching an eyebrow at her. "Am I right."

"No," Sabella said.

The tone in which she answered Malcolm's question told Malcolm, Sabella didn't want to talk about her parents' deaths, so he didn't ask how they died or how long they had been dead.

They both were trying to think of something else to talk about when Sabella's cell phone rung. It was Mark and he wanted to talk to Malcolm, Sabella passed the phone to Malcolm.

"Hello," Malcolm said after putting the phone up to his ear.

Sabella watched Malcolm's face as he spoke with her brother. She was trying to figure out what they were talking about by pretending not to listen to Malcolm's end of the conversation, but the only thing Malcolm was saying was yeah, okay, or what in response to whatever Mark was saying to him.

A worried, concerned look appeared on Malcolm's face then a smile.

"I'll handle it tomorrow," Malcolm said. "Sure. Your brother wants to talk to you," he said passing the phone back to Sabella.

"What's going on?" Sabella asked Malcolm taking the phone from him.

"Just, something I need to take care of," Malcolm said heading towards the house.

"What's going on?" Sabella asked her brother.

"Nothing you need to be concerned about," Mark replied. "I discovered something I thought Malcolm should know about."

"What is it?" Sabella asked her tone demanding an answer.

"It's nothing for you to worry about," Mark stressed again.

"It is something for me to worry about," Sabella said. "I'm like a fish out of water, swimming with sharks, in my current situation."

"Would I play with your safety?" Mark asked his tone letting Sabella know that he was offended that she would think such a thing.

"No," Sabella replied her answer immediate and without having to think about it. "I know you would tell me if it was something I needed to know."

"So, it's safe for you to assume that if I don't tell you that..."

"it's something I could get by without knowing," Sabella said.

"Thank you," Mark said his voice showing just a hint of sarcasm. "I wanted to say good night, and I love you before I hung up."

"Good night and I love you too," Sabella said.

"And, Sabella," Mark said.

"Yes."

"It won't do you any good to go searching online," Malcolm said, "because what I found out, I found in the library."

"Damn," Sabella said.

"Good night, sister dear," Mark sing-song as he hung up the phone.

Sabella hung up the phone and went to join Malcolm inside the house. She found him on the telephone telling someone he would be in their office tomorrow and for them to have all his paperwork ready for him to take with him.

The person must've asked what was wrong because Malcolm said he would discuss it when they met tomorrow then he ended the phone call.

After he hung up the phone Malcolm turned and leaned against the table where the phone sat, folded his arms across his chest and looked down at the floor.

Feeling Sabella's eyes on him, he looked up at her.

"That was my attorney, Daniel Parker," Malcolm said answering the unasked question he knew she wanted to ask.

"Sounds like you're going to fire him," Sabella remarked.

"I am," Malcolm said. "I have to."

Sabella could tell, by the way, Malcolm was biting on his lips, there was more he wanted to say but his eyes seemed to beg her not to question him further.

"I'm going to bed," Sabella said heading to the stairs.

"Wait," Malcolm said.

"What?" Sabella asked as he got closer to her.

"I want to give you a proper good night," Malcolm said putting his arms around her waist.

Sabella smiled as she put her arms around his waist, "And what do you consider a proper good night?" she asked.

"This," Malcolm replied as she pulled her into his arms and kissed her gently on the lips at first, then deepening the kiss when she parted her lips welcoming his tongue inside.

"That was a proper goodnight," Sabella said after the kiss ended.

"Good night," Malcolm said giving her another kiss on the lips.

After Sabella was upstairs and he heard the door to her room open and close Malcolm went back over to his phone and dialed Mabel's number.

"Hello," Mabel said answering the phone.

"Hello, Mabel," Malcolm said. "I know it's late but I need to ask you a favor."

"And what would the, favor be?" Mabel asked.

"I need to go into town tomorrow, and I was wondering if you would come over and keep Sabella company?"

"You're worried about the Sheriff coming over while you're gone aren't you?" Mabel asked.

"Yes," Malcolm replied. "I wouldn't feel right leaving her alone even with Frank and the other ranch hands being here."

"I'll be there," Mabel said wondering how Malcolm expected her to stop the Sheriff if he came over. Especially since the man was determined to get into the Malcolm's house.

"Thank you," Malcolm said, "and I'm going to get you some help to keep the Sheriff in line."

"Thank you," Mabel said breathing a sigh of relief.

After talking to Mabel, Malcolm hung up the phone and dialed another number.

"Hello," said the gruff voice that answered the phone.

"Hello," Malcolm said imagining the look on the face of the other man upon hearing his voice on the other end of the phone.

"What do you want?" Mayor Jones said not hiding his hatred of Malcolm and the power he had over him.

"Now, Mayor Jones why do you sound as if you dislike me when I've done nothing for you to dislike me for, yet?" Malcolm asked.

"What do you want?" Mayor Jones asked again his voice gruffer than it was when he first answered the phone.

"I want your assurance that you're going to keep your nephew in line," Malcolm said his voice holding no hint of the teasing it had before. "I need to know that he will keep his nose out my business and his ass off my property, because if you can't I can see to having it done myself but, if I have to do it, I'm not going to only handle your nephew, I'm going to handle you and some of your friends also."

"I'm tired of you threatening me," Mayor Jones said. "What would you say if I said I didn't care what you did with the information you have?"

"Why don't you say it?" Malcolm dared him. "Go ahead Jonsey tell me you don't care what I do with the information I have." Silence.

"Tell me, you, coward!" Malcolm almost screamed. "Tell me you're not afraid of what I would do and what would happen to you afterwards if I let others know about the information I have."

"You won't have to worry about my nephew," Mayor Jones said. "I promise you, he won't interfere in your business nor will he stop on your property. I give you my word."

"Thank you," Malcolm said, "that's all I wanted to hear."

Mayor Jones hung up the phone without saying goodbye.

"Who was that," a voice asked from behind him.

"Malcolm," Mayor Jones replied. "He was calling to make sure, I keep that stupid nephew of mine away from his house and out of his business."

"Why are you getting angry with Malcolm?" the voice asked. "He has had the information to put us all away for years, and he hasn't even attempted to threaten us with it. Not until the Sheriff, your nephew became obsessed with some woman staying on Malcolm's ranch."

"Yeah," said another voice. "It seems that all the trouble is being caused by your sister's boy and Ed's daughter."

"Carolyn is in this mess because she expects Malcolm to ask her to marry her," Ed said standing up for his daughter.

"Malcolm has shown no romantic interest in Carolyn," a new voice said joining the conversation, "so how can she expect to marry him?"

"I think you and the Mayor need to find a way to control your relatives," the first voice said. "If you don't you're going to force us to find a way to do it."

"Nobody threatens my daughter," Ed said getting into the face of the man who spoke.

"I won't let your daughter destroy everything I've worked for because she has the hots for a man who obviously doesn't want her," the man said. "Now if you're willing to give up your freedom for your daughter that is up to you, but you had better do it in a way that doesn't involve me or threatens my family."

The man's tone of voice was cold and deadly letting Ed know that the man was serious and he would do whatever it took to keep himself out of jail.

"Fighting among ourselves isn't going to solve this problem," Mayor Jones said stepping between Ed and the man. "I think we should all come together and keep an eye on my nephew and Ed's daughter and make sure, they leave Malcolm alone." Everyone in the group except Ed nodded their head in agreement.

"I'll handle my daughter," Ed said his tone letting everyone else in the room know that Carolyn was off limits.

"You better hope she listens to you," one member of the group said, "because if she doesn't we'll have to handle her ourselves."

"Anyone in this room touches my daughter is going to have to go through me," Ed said.

"Going through you won't be a problem, Ed," one of the other men said, "and will be done if you don't control your daughter."

Ed left the room without saying another word. He had to get to Carolyn and talk to her.

The next morning Malcolm rose early, bathe, got dressed, had breakfast and was ready to stop out of the door about eight that morning.

Sabella stayed in the kitchen not expecting him to let Mabel know what was happening between them. So, she was surprised when he came into the kitchen, took her by the hand, pulled her out of the kitchen into the living room. Malcolm took the keys to his garage off his key chain and placed them in Sabella's hand.

"I took steps to make sure the Sheriff doesn't come around while I'm gone," Malcolm said, "but if he does I want you to go into the garage, get into your baby and drive like hell away from here. Follow these instructions" he said putting a piece paper into her hand, "and you'll find your way to Mabel's house stay there. If I come home and something's wrong I'll go over there and find you."

"You don't think the Sheriff is going to be a problem do you?" Sabella asked.

"I don't expect him to be," Malcolm said, "but I don't know what he'll do if he sees me in town, or he finds out, I'm not here. I just want you to have a way out if the need should arrive. Promise me you'll stay in the house until I get back."

"Alright," Sabella said.

"I should be back her by noon," Malcolm said. "We'll have lunch."

"Alright," Sabella said.

"Let Mabel answer the doors and the phone," Malcolm said looking into her amber eyes and getting closer so that he could kiss her goodbye.

"Alright," Sabella said looking into his blue eyes.

Malcolm leaned down and kissed her on the lips. Sabella kissed him back.

"I'm going to miss you," Sabella said. "Promise me, you'll be careful."

"I'll be back before you know it," Malcolm said heading towards the door, "and I promise I'll be careful."

Malcolm opened the front door and stepped onto his front porch, surprised to find Carolyn's father sitting in one of the rocking chairs.

"I'm going to assume you're here to keep the Sheriff away," Malcolm said.

"And Carolyn," Ed replied.

"Thank you," Malcolm said.

"Don't thank me," Ed said, not when you know I have no choice."

"You've only got yourself to blame for that," Malcolm said heading towards his truck.

"Arrogant bastard," Ed muttered under his breath as he watched Malcolm back out of the driveway and head to town.

Malcolm reached town and headed directly over to his attorney Daniel Parker's office.

He felt eyes on him as he exited his care. He looked up and saw some of the locals with their heads together and their eyes on him.

'So word has gotten out about my visitor,' Malcolm thought to himself.

"Hello, Malcolm.'

Malcolm turned to see Dr. Benson heading in his direction.

"Hello, Dr. Benson," Malcolm said

"I went over to Mabel's when I heard about her hand," Dr. Benson said. "I was amazed at the professional job your friend did on her hand. The sutures she used, I've never seen before and the stitches, she used to close the wound were also new to me."

"Hmmmm," Malcolm said.

"I would like to meet your friend if it's possible," Dr. Benson said his eyes almost pleading and brimming with excitement at the possibility of meeting Sabella.

"I'm afraid that won't be possible," Malcolm said, "she came down here to relax, and she's not in the mood to see people."

"Is she a doctor?" Dr. Benson asked.

"No," Malcolm replied, "she's a doctor's assistant."

"Well," Dr. Benson said astonished at what he'd just heard, "if she's seeking employment, please send her to see me."

"I'll let her know," Malcolm said. "Although I don't think she's looking for work. I don't mean to be rude Doc," Malcolm said moving around him, "but I've got business to attend to."

"I'm sorry," Dr. Benson said. "I didn't mean to hold you up."

"It's good to see you," Malcolm said heading to his attorney's office.

Daniel Parker greeted him, his hand extended ready to shake Malcolm's hand.

"Hello," Daniel said greeting his best client.

"Hi, Daniel," Malcolm said looking pass Daniel Sr., to his son Daniel Jr. who came into the room behind his father.

"I have all your paperwork and files put together as you requested," Daniel Sr. said. "I'm sorry to lose you as a client. I wish you could tell what's happened to make you want to end your relationship with us."

"Nothing has changed between us, Daniel," Malcolm said his eyes still trained on Daniel Jr. "I just think it's time for a change."

"If you'll tell us who your new attorney is going to be we can send everything to him", D.J. said trying to shake the uneasiness, he felt under Malcolm's scrutiny.

"I haven't made up my mind who my new attorney is going to be," Malcolm lied, "but I've found someone to temporarily handle my legal affairs. I'm going to talk to him today so I want to take my papers and my files with me."

"Could you please tell me what happened?" Daniel Sr. asked almost pleading with Malcolm. "You're my best client Malcolm if you just up and leave me, people are going to talk."

"I suggest you talk to your son," Malcolm said his eyes still trained on D.J.

"What does D.J. have to do with his?" Daniel asked.

"He's been abusing my power of attorney," Malcolm said.

"What do you mean?" Daniel asked. "Tell, him D.J." Malcolm said.

"I don't see what you're so upset about," D.J. said. "I've made you more money than you started out with."

"That's not the point," Malcolm said grateful he'd gotten D.J. to confess. "My power of attorney was meant to be used on my approval, or if I wasn't able to speak for myself, not behind my back."

"I told you, I would handle all of Malcolm's business affairs," Daniel Sr. said to his son.

"I just wanted to show you that I could do," D.J. said. "I wanted to show you that I could make things better even for your best client."

"But, you broke the law to prove it," Daniel said, "you broke a client's trust, and you may have ruined the reputation of a law practice that I spent over thirty years of my life building. Just to prove your point."

"I'm sorry, I have to do this Daniel," Malcolm said, "but I can't do business with someone I can't trust to follow my instructions."

"I understand," Daniel said, "and I'm sorry it had to come to this."

Malcolm took the box containing his files and headed for the door leading out of the law offices of Parker & Parker Attorneys of Law.

"I'll refund your retainer," Daniel Sr. said as Malcolm was about to close the door.

"You don't have to do that," Malcolm said. "You earned that retainer and more."

"No," Daniel Sr. said. "I can't keep it my conscience wouldn't allow me to, so I'm going to refund it to you."

"As you wish," Malcolm said as he left their office.

Daniel Sr. turned to his son and slowly walked towards him. D.J. stilled himself for the words and questions he knew his father was going to throw his way and ask.

The elder Parker surprised the younger Parker when he didn't question him or throw angry words at him, but drew his hand back and slapped the younger Parker across the face.

D.J. stunned by what his father did, it took the younger Parker a minute or two to react but his reaction wasn't what his father expected. D.J. drew back his hand and slapped his father across the face.

"Don't you ever put your hands on me again old man," D.J. told his father.

Daniel Sr. drew his hand back, balled it into a fist, brought if forward smashing D.J. in the face. D.J. looked at his father as blood streamed from his nose.

"I want you to pack your things," his father said, "and you're not to take one scrap of paper, one paper clip, one staple from this office. You're going to leave here, the same way you came in with nothing. Then I want you to go home and remove anything that you think will remind me of you, and I want you gone, out of my house before I close the office for the day and come home."