Sadie Outlaw Ep. 006: GRINGO STAR

Story Info
"Grennon... Barrett... still cracks me up."
6.1k words
4.89
2.7k
2
0

Part 6 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/14/2022
Created 02/10/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SZENSEI
SZENSEI
1,875 Followers

SADIE OUTLAW Episode 006: GRINGO STAR

________________________________________

May 1876, West Texas... High Noon and clear skies... borderline of Hell.

Sheriff Tom Barrett was a rugged man of large stature. Standing tall at 6'3, 280 he could easily intimidate most people. Although a friendly soul even his deep voice was enough to make women swoon and men feel very small. To some, namely lawbreakers his tone often was referred to as the Grim Reaper. A crack shot with pistol or rifle he was well-respected by the neighboring towns. While not a God faring man he did look to the sky quite often and talk to himself. Primarily out of boredom. Rations running low he had recently stopped by a pond and caught a couple of nice size bass to keep him sustained, using only fishing line and a hook with bits of lizard he had wrangled from an unexpected denizen of the rocky terrain. He was a survivalist at heart. Good thing once he realized he had a puma stalking him. Eyes and ears constantly open he mounted his faithful horse Ezra, belched then proceeded on the journey back to Sugar Plum. To play it safe concerning the big kitty he left one of his fish as a peace offering. Nice fella that he was.

Ten miles out he just wanted to get back home and avoid any unexpected encounters with Indians or Comancheros. Having left El Paso prior to the Dillsby Gang being arrested he had no idea what he was walking into. A telegram sent by his Deputy went to the wind by six hours which back then might as well have been a day by horseback. No one from El Paso was expected to give chase and warn Barrett. If anything, there would be treachery in the making. That telegram had made its way into the hands of some greedy folks. Yes, Tom Barrett had a penchant for making enemies even amongst the so-called long arm of the law. That would become evident soon enough. Even without a rearview mirror, Barrett knew he was being followed by more than any puma. So close to home he simply hoped he could beat the dust cloud on the horizon behind him. Ezra did his best to say eat his dust. He wanted to make his owner proud.

"If that was any Comanche they wouldn't cluster together and show their hand in any dust bowl. I'm being tracked by more than a couple hooligans. At least the terrain doesn't have any real ambush points all the way back to Sugar Plum." Tom eyed his situation, "No place for me to hide none neither. It's just us Ezra, put some distance between us Big Feller." Three miles further Tom felt as if they were gaining on him then oddly the cloud faded away. "Huh! They must be separating. There's maybe three more miles to the school and Father Rodrigo's church. I hate holing up around kids and putting them in harm's way, but I do need shelter in case those cloud runners are hunting me." Trust was simply not there; his intuition was tense. "Got me no choice. Had to head to the school anyways and pick up my son. At least Clara Beth is able to use a shotgun all proper in defending her wards. Rodrigo's not so bad neither. Worst case I know my boy can handle a Colt." Another fifteen minutes the country school and existing church that stood side by side of one another was in sight. A mile further was Sugar Plum but with his 12-year-old son Willy left with Clara to care for him during the El Paso trip, he had to stop there first. Responsibility and concern for the kids, mainly orphans, there was that top priority.

"Almost there Ezra. You can relax in a bit." He pushed his steed to his limits. For his best friend, Ezra would run until he dropped, it was just how he was. Four years together and well taken care of, the Palamino and his owner's bond was unbreakable. Bearing down on the church side Tom heard a bell ringing, signaling a rider approach. That was a good thing that Father Rodrigo always had a watchful eye up in the bell tower. He like Tom had a very good set of practices to safeguard his tight knit community.

"Music to my ears Rodrigo. Good man!" A few older students stepped out of the school to view the arrival. Even in the distance Tom was recognized, a young man darting for the school to let Clara Beth Jenkins know of Tom's energetic return. Learning of the zest in Ezra's stride the elegant blonde sent her students into hiding beneath the floor in a safehouse until it could be determined if there was any trouble. Protocol between she and Rodrigo to protect their flock. Willy Barrett stood back knowing it was his Pa and clung to Clara's skirt as if protecting her. It would have been honorable if his hand wasn't on her butt. She chalked that up to nerves. Still, Clara was ever the lady. Most days!

Rodrigo himself stepped from within his church and stood on the porch to witness Tom within less than 300 yards from the property. Rifle on his shoulder just in case, he stepped down prepared to meet with the Sheriff. The gap closed Tom and Ezra came to a halt up alongside the shepherd of the Lord. "Is everything alright my son?" The fifty-year-old Rodrigo spoke, his palm holding Ezra's bridle to calm the feverish beast. Climbing down he removed his rifle from its saddle sheath then motioned Rodrigo to release the rein before patting Ezra on the shank.

"Grab a drink, Ezra." The horse trotted over toward a water trough beside a barn where other horses were in residence. Rifle in hand Tom led Rodrigo back to his church. "Let's not spook the younguns. I've been followed by a posse of some sort for miles. They faded back but I'm guessing they divided up and might be trying to surround us. Who you got up in the steeple?"

"Miguel. He has a gun if necessary."

"Good! Where's Clara Beth?"

"Here Tom!" The blonde scurried up, William dogging her tail.

"Pa! You're home!" The boy bolted around the beauty and jumped at his father's attentions. A standing hug Tom was glad to see his son as much as his son was rejoicing in the fact he would get to go home soon. "How was El Paso? Did you bring me anything?"

"I did! There're some licorice sticks in my saddle bag. Why don't you go tell Ezra welcome back and grab those." A hearty charm led the boy into running for the barn. A stable boy stood in the doorway also manning a Winchester. Safety in numbers! Once Willy was gone Tom hugged Clara Beth who adored her former brother-in-law. Her sister Dorothy had passed during childbirth with William, so Clara Beth had stepped up to help raise William. "Clara Beth, I need you to man a gun but stay hidden. I'm not totally positive but I'm thinking troubles coming."

"Is it allies of the Dillsby Gang?"

"Dillsby Gang? Why would... " Tom looked perplexed then shifted a glance toward the direction of Sugar Plum.

"You don't know then. A lady bounty hunter captured all six members of the gang. Could there be more members coming to rescue them?"

"Good question. No, I didn't know the Dillsby's were brought in. A woman bounty hunter you say. Fancy that!"

"We are capable Tom." She frowned at his chivalrous attitude. "Not every woman stays home and bares babies." She winced at her reference then gnashed her teeth knowing that was exactly who her sister was. Clara Beth was by far a tougher breed of beauty. Feminine most definitely but she had a strength within her that challenged most ladies. If there was a bra in her wardrobe it would have been burnt. Corset still waiting!

"Talk tough later. Go get ready for whatever comes. My gut says it's an ambush."

"Should we send a rider to Sugar Plum to warn Ira?" Rodrigo asked.

"I'll send Ezra by himself. Soon as Ira sees him, he'll know. Write a note and I'll tack it to my saddle telling Ira I'm out here. If he has the Dillsby's locked up he needs to get ready for a possible breakout."

"Done! I will find paper." Rodrigo steps away into the church. Eying Willy with Ezra, Tom steps out into the open and walks the perimeter. Still no dust clouds. Tom was not convinced he was imagining things. He was too smart for most folks. Looking up at Miguel, the boy's bird's eye view looked out over the hills. He didn't appear to be noticing anyone approaching, so maybe his adversaries were just as smart. Interesting!

"Willy?" Tom approached his greedy son; devouring licorice sticks as if they were his last meal. "I need you to go inside until I come get you. Share that there candy with the kids to keep them quiet."

"Is there trouble Pa?"

"Could be. Until I say it's safe you stay hidden."

"I can go get help."

"You will do as I tell you Boy."

"Yes sir!" Tom patted his back and sent the boy running for the school. A few minutes later Rodrigo returned with a handwritten note and Tom assisted it carefully stashing it under the saddle where it could still be noticeable but not lost to the breeze. Once prepped Tom took Ezra by his reins and looked him in the eye.

"One more short run Ezra. Only a mile or so. I need you to go find Deputy Grennen. Let him know where to find me." A notable whiney and seeming nod of understanding his mission the horse began trotting toward Sugar Plum. A short distance later the Palomino bolted into a run. "Good boy! Listens better than William does most days." Proud of both equally! "Keep your eyes open Father. Spread the word."

"Of God and vision my son."

"Yup!"

********

Hidden in the distance a posse of six men kept watch. Experience in hunting trips each of them were gifted in stealth. Any eyes at the church were unable to catch a glimpse, staying with the sun at their backs as camouflage. It was time to meet the enemy. A big man with red hair and a beard seemed to be the man in charge. Four of them laying low with a single lens telescope watched the church and school. At first it seemed as if Tom and the others were innocent enough until the leader spotted Ezra running off on his own. "Who in the hell slaps his horse and sends him packin'?"

Redmont Butler grumbled at his crew. "Barrett knows we're here somewhere. Must have seen our trail dust."

"Probably thinks we're Injun's Red." Jubal Fawcett chimed in with a logical guess.

"Barrett's too smart for that. We need to part ways Boys. Bacon? You and Remis take a slow trip around the church there and look innocent and all. Head into Sugar Plum and get a good bead on what it's like in us stealin' the Dillsby's. I want that reward money for ourselves. If'n we can spring those boys and haul them back to El Paso we can take the credit and reap the benefits."

"Might mean we take out the Sheriff. Y'all know he's not gonna just give the gang up without a tussle." Bacon Johansson hissed. "We shootin' down the law?"

"Scarfs up! No one sees our faces if it comes to that. Get to movin'! If'n you see a chance to spring the Dillsby's make sure they're cuffed and ready to ride. Act as if yer on their side until we all get back together. Jubal, Nip, and Porky can help me keep the Sheriff busy. Go on and get!" The two left to gather their horses as restrained by Nip and Porky on the flank side of the hill. A few minutes later they made their appearance known but steered clear of the church and simply acted like solemn riders with a calm collected attitude.

Miguel up in the belltower warned Tom of their entering his field of vision but told him they looked harmless. Tom was still not buying it. No way were just two riders kicking up as much trail dust as he noted earlier.

"Keep on bird watchin' Miguel."

"Si!" Yes, he would!

Like a hawk!

********

Sugar Plum city limits, Millie's Saloon... technically her husband Alfred's but she was a cold-hearted wife.

"Where have you been?" Millie approached her hired whore Carlotta Dean for taking forever getting back. One girl short on her shift meant a loss of revenue. "Did you deliver the muffins to Miss L'Amour?"

"As you instructed Mistress Millie. Miss L'Amour said thank you then asked me... well, Deputy Grennen asked me to share them with the Dillsby Gang. I took them there just as I was told to. He is the law."

"NO! IN MY KITCHEN, I AM THE LAW!" Millie swept in and slapped the girl. "Take that basket in back then get out there and find a pecker with your name on it."

"Yes, Mistress Millie." Carlotta felt more respect out of the Dillsby Boys than she did here. They at least were shockingly cordial and thanking her for a hearty snack. "Before I forget... Miss L'Amour wanted me to tell you that she and Edward Pike would be in for lunch and to have two thick steaks ready for them."

"Oh, she did, did she? She acts like she owns the place."

"I'm sorry Millie. I'm only telling you what she said." The girl hurried in back where a young man named Dwight was cooking over a wood burning stove. Fresh meat brought in smelled delicious. "Hello Dwight."

"Hey, Miss Carlotta." The boy cut off a tiny piece of freshly fried steak and snuck it into her mouth. She sucked on his fingertip for a brief moment as a thank you for the tantalizer. If he could afford Carlotta, he would, but this was as good as it got on his pay scale. At least she made him feel good about himself. He was a good friend when they had a chance to talk, but being a whore meant isolation when not sleeping or in use, that way the girls didn't get too closely attached to any one man. Millie knew her girls might bolt and leave her with no income if not under constant watch. Chewing her bite, she scurried away with a wink and hit the tables to mingle. She knew that wonderful piece of meat was likely all Millie would let her have, even if Sadie L'Amour spoke up in her defense. Carlotta could not go against her Madame's wishes or she would be disciplined. For now, she had a job to do. From one piece of meat to being one.

Millie stepped behind the bar with her hubby Alfred who had just brought up a new case of whiskey to stock up the shelf for when things got busier. "That L'Amour woman might be more trouble than I anticipated."

"I told you no women! You never listen to me."

"Can you imagine how much money we could make off of that woman. Alfred, stop thinking small. We need to cater to her and keep her around. Just in the short time of her being allowed in here last night, did you not see how many patrons showed up? It was certainly not to see Dooley Finn win at arm wrestling like he does every other night. Our saloon needs a new attraction. It must be Miss L'Amour."

"She's trouble. You just said it yourself."

"I know I did. But so am I. I know I can outwit her. Carlotta just told me Miss L'Amour is joining us at lunch sometime and to have two steaks ready. Go out back and dig up some potatoes to add to the fixings. I'll have Dwight put on a pot of water."

"She best be payin' for the food and drink."

"I'll handle that. You just... go dig. I'll watch the bar."

"I'm thinkin' I should keep diggin'. One foot in the grave Millicent."

"You worry too much."

She too little!

********

Sadie Outlaw aka L'Amour took a walk and tried her best to behave. Needing time to sort things out now that in some crazy twist of fate she was reunited with her Uncle Brandon she didn't feel so alone. Yet again, her uncle had groomed her in a regiment of peak perfection to end up here without her even knowing. She should hate the guy, but he did give her some of the best memories of her childhood, camping, fishing, hunting, shooting, tracking skills, defense, even advice in joining the military. Everything she was now, was due to him molding her into the warrior she was. All while working for Wyndham Explorations. She thought it was a pharmaceutical company, but it was far more than that. Time Travel labs deep under the Kansas soil was well, biding their time. Their goal was to send someone back to this era who didn't end up a vegetable by doing it. Every male candidate including Uncle Brandon came back mindless, a slobbering mess. Women seemed to be less at risk. The problem with some of those former Time Cunts was that they were weak and more of a spy than anyone strong enough to actually thrive in this time period. So much to ponder.

"You there, Tilly Ford?"

"I will never intentionally abandon you, Sadie. How can I help?" Her onboard implants sharing a Psybernetics computer source of knowledge spoke out. Matilda Ford, the persona who was daily connected in the future to be of service to their time travelers had deeper ties than to the others, she was her Uncle Brandon's lover until she lost him.

"So, if Uncle Brandon's spirit is inside Tarnation... where is his body? Did Brandon make it back to 2020?"

"2019 actually. Yes, he has been quarantined like all of our other failed attempts. There have been twenty-two before you. They are in a hospital that even I am not privy to. I could not begin to tell you were. Asking too many questions risks my own life I'm afraid. Just know this, I do care."

"I believe ya. Maybe once I spend more time with Tarnation, Brandon can give me a clue or three. I'm gonna check in on this tailor you mentioned. See if I can get me some time period duds to call my own."

"You do know that there are wardrobe choices back on the mesa. You should have packed more."

"I know! I'm a stubborn cuss. I'll head back up there before I ride over to Next of Kin and see where my family took root. I can't stay here in Sugar Plum too long. I figure I have time to do some sight seein' until Grampa Jessup shows up here. It's the least you folks can do to keep me sane. Besides, the longer I'm here with ole' Edward, he is gonna propose." She laughed, citizens on the boardwalk wondering why. "Breakin' hearts is not much fun if they're good people Tilly."

"I understand. You must know my heart was broken in losing Brandon as well. I can very much relate."

"I get it! I'll try'n be a lil' nicer with ya."

"Be yourself Sadie. I'll adapt."

"Ditto! What was that tailors name again?"

"Mortimer Cromwell."

"Any info I should know about him?"

"In December of 1876 he will be arrested for perversion. Right there in Sugar Plum."

"Bet I set him on that course ahead of time." She giggled. "What exactly he do?"

"Masturbated in front of... oh my! This is interesting. It is in front of a one Clara Beth Jenkins. School teacher and... sister-in-law to the Sheriff."

"No shit!"

"Yes! It seems Cromwell marries a dress maker from Dallas by the name of Greta Watson who moves there to Sugar Plum. When Miss Jenkins gets fitted for a dress, he just... shows himself. Greta would leave him shortly after and return to Dallas. Cromwell dies from heartbreak three months later."

"Newspapers say all that? Anythin' due to me? I mean I ain't done nothin' to change much yet, I've only been around for a few days."

"Sadie... you've slept with men that would never have ever met you before you came along. That in itself alters history."

"True! So, at this very second... where does Edward Pike end up?"

"Edward survives until 1901. He marries in July of 1876... oh my, again. Carlotta Dean the girl who delivered muffins. She outlives Mister Pike by two years, remarrying to avoid loneliness. Carlotta kept a diary it seems which resides in an El Paso museum."

"Aww! I think I set those two up. Wait! We're all havin' lunch here in a few. Hmm!"

"You truly should not interfere Sadie. It is obvious that their nuptials had nothing to do with you. This is based on the history up until this pinpoint in your existence there. Should you intervene now things might deviate."

"Ed and Carlotta need love Tilly. Cupid over stupid! I'm gonna leave Ed a happy man. He's been great to me so far. No one should be lonely."

"You were before Wyndham sent you back in time."

"Naaa! I had any dick or twat I ever wanted. If I was lonely, it was for a day or two at best."

"Tramp!"

"Why yes I am. Alright I'm at Mort... " She hears a horse running through the street behind her and automatically assumes it to be Tarnation breaking free again. Turning in step she realizes it wasn't. "Horse with no rider. It's headed for the jail. Maybe I better wait on teasin' ole' Mortimer." She leaves the boardwalk and takes to the street. Running as she spots Grennen step out of the jail and calm the steed she meets up with Ira when he pulls the piece of paper out from under Tom's saddle. "What's goin' on Grennen?"

SZENSEI
SZENSEI
1,875 Followers
12