Sail Ho

Story Info
His only job was to protect her, but it became much more.
19.4k words
4.82
20.2k
33
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ronde
ronde
2,381 Followers

The barque Rislane's bow split the low swell of the azure Caribbean as she tacked with the sou'westerly tradewinds toward St. Kitts. She was homeward bound from Jamaica with a cargo of molasses, cotton, and cocoa. Once she breasted St. Kitts, she'd turn north to put the tradewinds at her stern and sail for home - Weymouth on the south coast of England.

The sun had just risen over the low swell of the sea when from his watch station a hundred and fifty six feet above the deck, the lookout on the main mast shouted, "Sail Ho, off the starboard beam." The third watch crowded against the starboard rail to look. They were quickly dispersed back to their various tasks by the First Mate. He looked through the telescope he carried and then went below to the captain's quarters. He knew Captain Knowles would be having his breakfast by then.

His knock was answered by the command, "Enter". The mate opened the door and walked into the small room at the very stern of the ship.

"Captain, a sail has been sighted off our starboard beam. She looks to be a schooner rig and rides high in the water. She is paralleling our course."

Captain Knowles stopped his knife in mid stroke through the dish of butter.

"What flag does she fly?"

"She is too far away to tell, Sir."

He scooped up a generous glob of butter and smeared it on the piece of bread in his other hand.

"Most likely a slaver that has unloaded and is sailing under ballast to pick up her return cargo. Nothing to worry about."

Captain stopped the travel of the bread to his mouth and thought for a moment, then looked up at the mate.

"Still, 'tis a foolish man who ignores a squall line on the horizon. Put the men to readying the guns and watch the schooner to see what course she sails."

By the change of the watch at noon, the schooner was still abeam and had halved her distance from the Rislane. Captain Knowles watched her through his long telescope for several minutes, then turned to his first mate.

"She flies no colors and she's tacking with us with all her sails set save the headsails. I would bet my dinner her crew is the rotten scum of the sea and they plan to take the ship. We could out-run her were she loaded, but she will be a close match as high as she rides. Set the royals and if she still closes in an hour, the stun'sls on all spars."

At Mr. Wainwrights's order, half the watch climbed like monkeys up the ratlines on the shrouds until they were at the royal yard on each mast. They worked their way out on the yard by standing on the footropes and then loosed the royal sails. As the white canvas caught the wind and billowed from their hands, the remaining crew manned the clew lines and pulled them tight through their blocks until the mate was satisfied.

The Rislane picked up speed. The mate watched through his telescope as the schooner added a headsail to keep pace.

After an hour had passed, the mate ordered the stunls set. All hands turned out to join the current watch. Some climbed out onto the yards, worked their way to the ends, then attached the stu'nsails to their booms and ran the booms out. Others of the crew took up the lines, hauled them taut and secured them with belaying pins on the fife rails.

An hour later the schooner had added another headsail and closed half the distance again. The cargo in the hold of the Rislane made her sit low and her wide beam slowed her progress even under the cloud of canvas that seemed to brush the true clouds that scudded through the bright blue sky.

Captain Knowles was concerned. His primary cargo of molasses, cotton, and cocoa would fetch a good price should the pirates be able to seize it. The other cargo he carried would be worth a fortune more than all the molasses, cotton and cocoa in the West Indies. She was the daughter of Neville Bonner, the most wealthy plantation owner in Jamaica.

Marie Eleana Bonner was eighteen, and her father had purchased her a passage on the Rislane to visit her grandmother in England. Mr. Bonner had spoken to Captain Knowles before the Rislane slipped her cables and left port. He had wanted assurances that Captain Knowles would do all things within his power to guarantee his daughter safe passage to Weymouth. There, she would be met by a coach that would take her to the family estate in Oxfordshire and his responsibility for her would cease.

Captain Knowles had assured Mr. Bonner the journey was a common one and not particularly fraught with danger, the way being well charted and much traveled. Mr. Knowles had asked about pirates, to which Captain Knowles replied the British Navy had mostly eliminated that threat and that the Rislane was equipped with ten guns of twelve pound bore and her crew was trained in their use. Mr. Bonner had seemed satisfied. He shook Captain Knowles' hand and promised a reward should his daughter reach England well in health and in good spirits.

Now, with the threat of pirates looming ever closer on the horizon, Captain Knowles worried that he may have spoken too confidently. Should the young girl and her escort, an older woman by the name of Madeline Mayes, be taken captive, it would be better he died fighting than live to face Mr. Bonner. That pirates would hold her for ransom was a certainty. The thought they would use both women to satisfy their immoral urges was a possibility he wished were not in his head.

The schooner was still closing, but more slowly now. The sun was low on the horizon, and it was probable she would only keep pace with the Rislane until morning. Then, she would attack. Perhaps the delay held the answer. Captain Knowles consulted his chart and then tapped his finger on a small, irregular shaped island he knew to be only a few leagues from their current position. Taking up a charting pencil and piece of thin, nearly transparent paper and placing it upon the chart, he quickly drew the coastline and features of the small island, and then the outlines of Hispaniola and Jamaica. He added an arrow for north and a rough scale at the bottom, then turned and left his cabin.

Captain Knowles walked down the steps to the First Mate. The mate was frowning.

"Captain Knowles, they close more slowly now, but they still close. What trick do they intend to play upon us?"

"No trick, Mr. Wainwright, just prudence. Their captain knows there is not enough daylight left to press an attack. They will pace us, staying just out of range of our guns until morning. We must be ready to fight to the last man then."

"The men are ready. The guns have been charged and need only primed and a match. I have issued muskets, ball and powder to fifteen of the crew. The other fifteen will man the deck guns."

"Good. Set half a watch tonight so most of the men can rest. Have the ship's carpenter and cook rig the galley as an aid station. We will send any wounded there. Be certain the carpenter has a sharp saw and the cook has a fire with several irons in the coals."

"As good as done, Sir. I will have them ready. All you need do is give me the order to fire."

"Come to my cabin that we may further discuss our course of action."

Once inside his cabin, Captain Knowles put his hand on the first mate's shoulder.

"Mr. Wainwright, you have served me well on this voyage, and I am certain you would serve me equally as well in command of my small force in battle, however, our circumstance requires I must ask you to serve me in another way."

"I am yours to order, Sir."

"Your orders are to take Miss Bonner and her escort off the Rislane and take them to a place of safety until the battle is decided. Should the pirates take the Rislane, Miss Bonner and her escort would suffer greatly. I can not allow that to happen.

"You will place the jollyboat on the davits but still sitting upon the deck. You will then load the jollyboat with provisions for three months. Do this only when we tack towards the schooner. She will be watching us just as we watch her and will not see the activity as the sails and heel of the ship will mask it. Put powder, ball, and two muskets on board and two casks of water and such other tools and items you will require for building a shelter and maintaining some sort of reasonable comfort for them.

"When the sun sets, see to it the men light several lamps. I want the schooner to know our course. She will be sure to follow if she can see our lamps.

Captain Knowles spread his hand drawn chart on the desk and pointed to the small island.

"There will be no moon tonight. I will extend our northerly tack as long as I can without alerting the schooner to our plan. By midnight, we will be within a league of Isla Alto Velo. It is uninhabited as of last reckoning by the Royal Navy, but it is sometimes used by their ships to fill their water casks.

"At midnight, you will place Miss Bonner and her escort in the jollyboat along with yourself. I will then tack towards the schooner that you may lower the jollyboat to the water unseen. Once you are free of the davit lines, do nothing for half an hour. That will allow the Rislane to lead the schooner away. Then, set sail for Isla Alto Velo.

"You will have to reckon your course by the stars lest the schooner see a light, but you're a sailor through and through. You should be able to make the westerly side of the island in about two hours. According to my charts there is a small river there deep enough for the jollyboat. Sail up the river until you can not see the coast. Then seek a refuge where you may build a shelter.

"If we win the day, I will come about and fetch you from Isla Alto Velo. If not..."

Captain Knowles squeezed the mate's shoulder tightly.

"If we lose the Rislane, you will have to trust in your judgement to steer the best course. The jollyboat is large enough to make Port Royal should you decide to leave the island. Take the small compass and binnacle from the longboat to assist you in navigation to that end. Keep to shallow water as much as possible. The jollyboat would not weather a heavy sea well.

"If you stay to wait for another ship, beware. The Spaniards are none too friendly in these waters. They yet bear a grudge against the French and trust the English less.

"It is by my faith in your courage and judgement that I entrust the safe-keeping of Miss Bonner and her escort to you. I would trust no other of my crew with such a task. Go now and make your preparations. I will inform Miss Bonner and Mrs. Mayes of what shall transpire tonight."

Marie was shocked at Captain Knowles' explanation of their plight and the course of action he believed necessary to provide for her safety.

"We are to be set ashore on an island? Will there not be natives on the island? I have heard some are cannibals, and others practice the rites of the Devil."

Captain Knowles shook his head.

"No, there are no natives. The Royal Navy put in on Isla Alto Velo some months ago for the purpose of determining just that. They found no natives nor evidence of recent habitation other than by various nesting sea birds."

"Where will we live? What will we eat?"

"Mr. Wainwright shall construct a shelter to protect you from the rains and any creatures that might be about. I have ordered him to take provisions for three months, and there are fish to be caught in the sea. Turtles also visit those shores. Mr. Wainwright is fully capable of providing for your meals."

Madeline had remained mute during this discussion but now spoke.

"Captain Knowles, I fully appreciate your concern and efforts, but is there no other way -- perhaps sailing for a nearby port that we may stay among civilized people?"

"Alas, Mrs. Mayes, we have not the time. There be no ports closer than two days sailing, and I fear the attack will commence at first light."

Madeline held Marie's hand.

"'Tis best we follow the captain's instructions, Marie. He is experienced in these matters, and he is a gentleman. He would not place us in way of greater harm than we risk by staying on board. Hurry now, and pack a small bag with things you must absolutely have and I shall do the same."

Captain Knowles caught Madeline by the shoulder as she passed him.

"Mrs. Mayes, I fear you must take all your possessions along. Should the pirates board the Rislane and discover women's effects, they will suspect your escape and also the only destination available in so short a time. I will have the mate see to it your things are transferred to the jollyboat.

At midnight Marie, Madeline, and Mr. Wainwright took seats in the jollyboat amongst their two trunks, the supplies and weapons. He gave the sign with a wave of his hand, and the crew swung the davits to move the jollyboat from the deck to over the water, and then slowly lowered the boat to the bubbling wake of the Rislane. When the lines went slack, Mr. Wainwright freed the hooks. The three watched as the Rislane slowly sailed away.

Mr. Wainwright waited half an hour by the watch in his vest, then scanned the horizon. He could just barely make out the lamps of the Rislane.

Off to her starboard, he could see a single light from the aft portion of the schooner, no doubt the lamp over her binnacle. She was making way at the same pace as the Rislane. She would be doing that for no other reason than to attack in the morning. He blew out his breath and stepped the mast of the jollyboat as quietly as possible. When the stays were tight, he rigged the sail, and after looking at the stars to establish a bearing, turned the jollyboat in the direction of Isla Alto Velo.

Mr. Wainwright watched carefully for the dark mass that would block out the stars. An hour after setting sail, he perceived a looming black that could only be the island he sought. Half an hour later, the beach became visible as the white sand reflected the dim starlight. He steered for that beach.

He did not know if the river of which Captain Knowles had spoken was to their north or south. His intention was to sail north, and if he had not found the river before the shore turned to the east, to reverse course and follow the shore south. As luck would have it, he soon saw a gap in the white sand. Upon steering the jollyboat toward it, the passage of leaves and other small bits of flotsam into the sea indicated a gentle current flowing from that gap.

The jollyboat made way up the river under the overhanging canopy of the trees, though slowly, for Mr. Wainwright was required to tack back and forth and the river was not wide. Once the narrowing width made tacking useless, he lowered the sail and used the oars to row them up the river. It was a difficult task, but became easier when Madeline asked if she might assist. Mr. Wainwright set a pair of oars in the thole pins on either side of her seat and briefly instructed her in their use. Though Madeline was not so strong as Mr. Wainwright and her strokes were shorter, the added thrust of the second pair of oars made rowing easier.

The jollyboat was well out of sight of the beach when Mr. Wainwright began rowing with only one oar to steer closer to the shore. The sky was just turning gray when he spied a spot where the bank seemed to slope gradually into the water. He rowed to that spot, and when the keel of the jollyboat scraped bottom, dropped his oars, took up the bow line, and jumped into the water.

He was able to pull the jollyboat onto the sloping shore enough the women would only wet their feet when they disembarked. He tied off the bow line to a stout tree, and then went back to the women huddled together on the center seat.

"Miss Bonner, Mrs. Mayes, I have tied us off and we will not drift back out to sea. I believe it prudent to wait here in the boat until daylight is upon us. Then we will seek out a suitable location for a shelter. You should try to sleep if you can, for this day will be an exhausting one before it is over. I will stand watch to guard against anything that may befall us."

So saying, Mr. Wainwright loaded and primed both muskets, leaned them against the rail of the jollyboat, and sat down on his seat.

Marie tried to close her eyes and did fall into slumber for a while, but was soon awakened by the sounds of the night. All had been quiet as they made their way up the river as if the creatures of the night were waiting for them to pass before continuing their lives. Now, they were going about their business. She knew not what those creatures might be, but her skin crawled at each sound, be it the quiet "swoosh" of something flying over the river or the splash of a fish.

There was an opening in the canopy above the jollyboat and the multitude of glittering stars cast a half-light down upon them. She looked to the bow of the jollyboat. There sat Mr. Wainwright in silhouette, his eyes scanning up the river, then down, then over the shore to which they were moored. She studied him for a moment.

She knew him only from dining with him and Captain Knowles. He was a little older than she, or so she thought. At dinner, he had been polite, though lacking in some of the social graces to which she was accustomed. He did not use his napkin before drinking from his cup, and sometimes used his knife where it would have been more appropriate to use his fork. He had seldom spoken at dinner, leaving the duties of conversation to Captain Knowles, but when he did speak, his deep voice had reverberated in Marie's chest and caused her to breathe a little faster.

He was tall; that she knew. She'd seen him stoop to avoid hitting his head on the deck beams in the ceiling of Captain Knowles' cabin. His eyes were particularly striking. Set wide apart in his rugged face, they seemed to be as blue as the sky over the Caribbean and flashed with an inner fire that caused an unfamiliar stirring in her mind when he was in her presence.

Marie knew he must be tired from the exertions of the day. Though Captain Knowles had forbidden her and Madeline from venturing out of their cabins lest they be seen by the pirates, she had heard his voice ordering the men about all day and then as night fell, ordering them to load the jollyboat. Tired though he might be, he continued his watch without pause, and his strength made Marie feel somewhat safer.

Marie was still awake when the first rays of the tropical sun sliced down through the canopy of leaves overhead and painted the openings between those leaves with splotches of gold light. She looked up in awe at the trees. At her home in Jamaica, all the trees of the plantation had been cut to make fields for sugar cane. Only in the dense jungle that remained were such trees, and she was forbidden to venture into them.

Here, the trees warmed her heart with their beauty and cooled her face with their shading branches of leaves. Vines climbed to the heavens on some of those trees, their embrace on the trunk holding them fast no matter the wind. She was sitting on the boat seat with her mouth hanging open when Mr. Wainwright chuckled.

"Have you not seen the jungle before?"

"No, Father would not allow me to go there on the plantation. He said there were wild boars there that would attack me."

Mr. Wainwright looked up and smiled.

"The same could be true of this island, for the Spaniards set many pigs and goats on these islands to prosper and provide meat for the ships that followed. Even so, it is a beautiful sight, is it not?"

Madeline had awaked, rubbed her eyes, and sat up.

"I would much rather have the river and trees than the ship. All that rocking about made my innards queasy. I found it difficult to eat lest my stomach decided to evict my food."

"It is a feeling that goes quickly once at sea", said Mr. Wainwright. It is arriving on land that upsets a sailor. The land does not move about but he still does so."

"Well, you may be upset, but I am hungry. What do we have that I might cook for us?"

"I brought but simple seaman's fare, I'm afraid. There is salt pork, some hard biscuits, and some onions and potatoes."

ronde
ronde
2,381 Followers