All Comments on 'Sail Ho'

by ronde

Sort by:
  • 29 Comments
A_BierceA_Bierce10 months ago

Gobsmacked! Is there anything you can't master?

Cracker270Cracker27010 months ago

First of all. Very well written. I have no idea if the sailing descriptions were accurate but it made me think of the Hornblower novels or Master and Commander.

You are indeed a very talented writer

Comentarista82Comentarista8210 months ago

What a shame I can't post the opening video that introduces the Miz, just so you could hear it exclaim "AWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEE!!!!"

I spot-checked the nautical vocabulary you used, which placed the story between 1800-1850; once you listed the historical milestone of England abolishing slavery, that placed this story firmly before 1833. It's curious, as one of my favorite books is "Carry on, Mr. Bowditch," so I was roughly familiar with some of the terms. You researched this well, and portrayed Mr. Wainwright and all his companions as gentlemen--something I argue is far harder to genuinely "sell" than the normal scoundrels most incline themselves to describe.

I laughed at how you made Todd follow Madeline and Marie to their wading pool, so he could discover how they looked--but you also equalized things by Madeline and Marie following him to the beach so they could see him naked. Fair is fair! You created great tension and anticipation by causing the storm to snap the mast and hit Marie on the head, making me exclaim, "oh HELL NO," and while I didn't think you'd make the amnesia permanent--I couldn't be sure if you'd throw us that curve. You did not, and you reasonably prepared us for Mr. Wainwright to assume the overseer position due to his farming and sailing experience, and for even Madeline to find a worthy mate in Mr. Bonner. You paced the story well, developed all parts fully, and left no hanging threads while giving everyone a future. You may have written it so well that I could imagine future posters clamoring for follow-ups, something I would also favor from this story. 5!!

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Unlike most sea stories here, this shows knowledge of boats and sailing. I know enough to appreciate a well framed yarn, I know less about deflowering 18th century virgins and have no comment,

BuzzCzarBuzzCzar10 months ago

An interesting, well researched tale. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 5*

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy10 months ago

You have the magical touch! I'm so glad you started posting stories after an extended hiatus.

5

wapentakewapentake10 months ago

This is one of the best stories that I have had the pleasure of reading on this site. I know nothing of sailing, but your 18th century plot seemed very plausible to this 21st century landsman.

A very well deserved five stars.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

you seem to think that historically speaking, women were totally clueless about sex. Really off-putting.

des911des91110 months ago

Another lovely story. Well done and thank you

Smiffy69Smiffy6910 months ago

Great story. Ignore anonymous comments, they could not do better themselves.

Comentarista82Comentarista8210 months ago

Madeline prepared Marie for what she could expect sexually. No ignorance there.

PrfsrPrfsr10 months ago

I am not sure that first names were often used between men and women even between married couples. A five star tale, none the less.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A beautifully turned period romance! 5 stars

RalphpatchRalphpatch10 months ago

i do believe you have surpassed Dream Cloud as the best author on Literotica

J6480J648010 months ago

Exceptional. Its amazing that you're able to master the language, processes and quirks of each story line you create. Opportunity for a 2nd chapter if you have more to the tale although its sits well in isolation. 5*s keep em coming

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Great story. Thank you for time and talent.

IC_Thru_UIC_Thru_U10 months ago

Very good story. If I could make a suggestion, it would be to use something to break the transition in time periods. A few times you went from one time period at the end of a paragraph to weeks or months later in the next. I understand the affect you were going for, like going to sleep after consummating the marriage to waking and having a baby to nurse. But I still had to back and reread those paragraphs to make sure I wasn't missing something. Messed with the flow a bit. Even if it was a couple of asterisks or dashes I feel that would help. Again great read. Marking you as a favorite author so I can watch for your future works.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Hmmm…”She rove the jib clew line through another block on the rail and then stood by to raise and set the jib.” Clearly the author has trouble with the English language, because that sentence makes no sense at all! 😀 An interesting romance, though the nautical terms were well beyond this landlubber. Oh, and it’s “lightning” and not “lightening.” Thanks for another well-told tale!

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Great romance, rich likeable characters, thoughtful plot! Great Read 5

SequoiaSempervirensSequoiaSempervirens10 months ago

A great read! Five stars!

Crusader235Crusader23510 months ago

Wonderful story, five stars plus thank you for it.

PurplefizzPurplefizz10 months ago

Good story Ronde, but I have to take issue with the comment from anon about the Author having trouble using the English language when it was obviously nautical terminology, the Anon then goes on to say they don’t have a clue about said nautical terminology! I sailed competitively for 15yrs, the disputed sentence made perfect sense to me, as it would to anyone familiar with boats and sailing. I’m not an accountant, a pilot or even a lawyer, so I have no idea if stories containing technical details about those fields are correct or not, what I don’t do is bray about how something doesn’t make sense if I don’t understand it, because as sure as eggs is eggs, someone does know those details and will be along directly to correct any poorly judged comments.

Many thanks for writing a most enjoyable story Ronde, I loved it! 5⭐️ best wishes, Ppfzz.

LowcountryLowcountry10 months ago

I doubt you have been a pirate, a detective, a farmer, an engineer or whatever role you have chosen to write about, but so far I have had no trouble believing what I read of your stories. I enjoy the way you develope your characters and the plot. I’d be fine if your stories were a little longer!

WilCox49WilCox499 months ago

Another excellent story! A few typos of one sort or another mostly don't get in the way.

.

I would second todle357's point that SOME kind of typographical break is needed at major scene breaks, particularly at the point where wakes Madeline wakes her up to feed the baby. That one does get in the way. (And as a point to keep in mind: being a nursing mother has a good degree of contraceptive effect, a matter of hormones if I recall correctly.)

.

Excellently done historical setting. Thank you1

Slainte_mhaithSlainte_mhaith9 months ago

Have to say the sailing sentence made sense to me to. However, roving a line through a cleat would be more appropriate for tying off a line, thus a meandering wandering, route through the cleat, not a simple loop to raise a sail. So using rove in that archaic sense, say, "He looped it through the cleat ready to rove it tight, once the sail was raised"?

Not something I would complain about, and using the word in its archaic sense to anchor us in the time period, was by far the most important reason for using the word, not conveying precise instructions on seamanship.

LeFrog08LeFrog087 months ago

Thank you, Ronde for this wonderful tale.

rbloch66rbloch665 months ago

This was quite the treat to read. Very wholesome. Engaing story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userronde@ronde
Women tend to be the central characters in my stories, because I find their complex personalities to be fascinating. My stories come from my life experiences or the thoughts inspired by people I have met. I am an avid fan of history and especially the history of the America...