All Comments on 'Salting The Earth'

by Bebop3

Sort by:
  • 88 Comments
richg780richg780over 4 years ago
Done it again

Fabulous story

LenardSpencerLenardSpencerover 4 years ago
At least try to be realistic

I read this story the first time it was posted but I can't remember if I posted a comment. From a legal perspective, 90% of his actions were "illegal" as they were dealing with matramonial assets. The business possibly was an existing family business and, if dealt with correctly, could have been separate. BUT... when he sold it he made the financial proceeds matramonial. His wife could have blocked his actions from the time he she filed for divorce and had the assets frozen. By her not doing anything, yes, he could carry on doing what he was doing. Even the payments of matrimonial assets into the trusts could have been undone as IT WASN'T HIS MONEY. The way you described it, the final purchase of that Veterans home was also done with matramonial monies and, if she had filed, she could claim 50 %.

The idea that someone married 25 years has 100% total control over all assets is ridiculous. However, putting that aside... I loved the story!!! Cheers. Yes, I've dealt with Trust Busting and Estate Planning and Divorce options. Not in USA though so there are SMALL differences.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
To answer your question...

...apparently not!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Outstanding!

This is a powerful story with great characters, it should have been put in LW to be seen faster but I predict that it will be number 1 quickly, hard to believe Molly didn't appreciate a man who was so loved and was sensitive to others. I understand his desire to punish Molly for her infidelity and her treatment of her family. In the end , he was punishing himself as much as Molly.

It can be a blessing to be able to say goodbye before one's death. This is a very thoughtful story. Thanks for your work. 5 stars

reasonable man

happymuffinhappymuffinover 4 years ago
This was just perfect

I can not say what i liked most about this, so i focus on the one point i read that maid this special.

The part about the wife, i loved how you dealt with it, hate dose not just go away.

Thank you

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 4 years ago
I have to say

I very much enjoyed this story. Well written and plotted. Imagine that. Great job. Hope this posting helps lift your spirits after anonymous revealed your secret identity. Thanks for the hard work for us readers, Top marks from me.

stev2244stev2244over 4 years ago

Definitely awesome.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Dark but.....

What gives strength in weakness, gives light in darkness, purpose in aimlessness(?l), make that your reason for everything even if it would be the last thing you need to do. Could have done things differently but whatever......

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Should have bought some weed from Mookie

Of course, then the ending would be all jacked up. Another excellent story. Thank you.

rmeyerhormeyerhoover 4 years ago
Once again

For some reason I keep finding a tear jerker story that I just can't stop reading. It was a great story and well thought through. My first thoutht was "on literotica" but why not. Loved it.

tizwickytizwickyover 4 years ago
Excellent Doesn't Really Convey How Good This Was!

In real life, really bad things can and do happen to really good people. Your story captures the very essence of this theme. Thank you for sharing this with us! Brilliant work.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 4 years ago
Game over

Retire the trophy. Best story on here.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
WOW

This was a tear jerker for me. My father passed away this last June from brain cancer, so that part of the story I could really feel. It's hard enough without all of the other drama that was in this story.

A really good read, BeBop.

Woodsloafer

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 4 years ago
A very nice story.

Thank you, Bebop. Well done.

If you enjoyed this story from Bebop, he has given me permission to say that he will post another as part of the "Wine and Old Lace" writing event on December 2. Great writers from across the categories will post historical romance stories. Tune in if you like a good romance!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Mike Drop.

Powerful. A genuine candidate for best story of 2019.

5*

john1946john1946over 4 years ago
Well Done.

You got tears on that one and thats not as easy as it used to be. Very well written and follows the plot very well. Thanks for the veterans.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 4 years ago
No question! 5***** all the way!

That was powerful. I often wonder how many cheating spouses feel guilt and regret when it's done. I think your story hit the nail on the head. I'm not at all certain that cutting her out of the will is as hard as you made it sound, but it did make for great story telling.

And the bit about the billboards was inspired!

Wonderman1Wonderman1over 4 years ago
Extraordinary Story

I am not even competent enough to give a proper comment, but it was an amazing story. It brought tears to my eyes because I have lost a number of relatives to cancer. Also, as I get older I can see what I could be facing myself sometime. Thanks for posting. I was awestruck.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 4 years ago
Excellently Done

I have used the term "excellent" to describe a few stories before. I wish there was another term I could accurately use so as to set this one apart. I can't. So, this is an excellently done story about flawed, complex people.

chytownchytownover 4 years ago
Good Read****

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Can't have it both ways

The narrator is mawkish, self-pitying, and cruel to his children. He spares them pain by burning down their mother? Then that's the way they'll remember him, as a heartless, unforgiving, and vindictive man who attempted to manipulate his children and future grandchildren from beyond the grave.

He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool shall be servant to the wise of heart.

JimBob44 has been using that "swollen day" closer for years. The author should acknowledge that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Lots of great technical logistical and emotional information about his dying body and marriage, . . .

and almost nothing about the thinking, the morals values and ethics of the people involved, and their thoughts and reactions.

So, like the marriage you portrayed, this story was very emotional, but also very shallow, distant, and cheap. He did a great job of taking away her wealth and family and friends. Taking away her dignity, her self respect, her standing in the community? Can't take what Molly never had. So she will be poorer and sadder, but she will be no wiser. And soon enough all the regret and guilt and sorrow will morph into anger and resentment and self pity. Why not? Molly has no character, no ethics, no scruples.

And there is no indication that Molly is any different than the person he married, and the wife he enabled or at least allowed to become the selfish entitled asshole she is revealed to be. Yeah, in end both he and Molly got what they deserved. As always its the children who really got fucked. What pieces of shit for parents.

She's been a shitty wife and mother for years? Then why is he just now confronting that reality, when its too late? Bet he wouldn't let that sort of problem fester in his business world. Both Molly's and his priorities are obvious by their actions, and their inactions. If he hadn't caught Molly when he did and wasn't dying, they both would have continued to live their shallow distant selfish lives, until some other issue forced them to confront their dead marriage.

A decent but shallow story about flawed and shallow people. Fucked up people tend to live fucked up lives. Thanks for an engaging portrayal of what that looks like.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
So so Sad

Cheating discovery after the cancer discovery was like a lens magnifying his pain. The resultant burn was laser hot. His refusal to listen to one word of excuses implied she will self internalize the pain she caused forever. Magnification.

Bebop3Bebop3over 4 years agoAuthor
"Can't have it both ways"

Regarding the JimBob44 line - you may have considered that since the story was signed off as BeBob44, it was an acknowledgement.

You may also have inquired as to what my relationship with JimBob is. Seeing as how we're friends, it was a clear tip of the hat to JimBob and it was obvious to the only two people that mattered in this situation.

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110over 4 years ago
Powerful

‘Nuff said

norafaresnorafaresover 4 years ago
Five Stars

A heart-wrenching tale. This story will stay with me.

Ignore Anon, they don't know wtf they're talking about. Acting as if the wife played no part in destroying the family and this man's last few months on earth. Grieving, sick people are allowed to retaliate however they please. And signing off as Bebob44 when your username is Bebop3, is an obvious nod at JimBob44. Anon is an idiot and they know it; otherwise, there is no explanation for why they couldn't have signed off with some sort of identity. They are not proud of who they are, nor are they proud of their nonsensical opinion.

Anyway, loved the story. Five stars from me.

Nora

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

sooooo ITS a story, fiction, but bad comune between ? partners. LOVE slap hapypapy #9

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyover 4 years ago
Actually got through it

Makes such a good story when the plot is straightforward and characters can be eased into the story rather than all at the start.

Enjoyable but sad. Hitting the heartstrings always works if written as well as this was.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Nice Story--thanks

Nice development of characters and good versatility of range of emotions in this one. I also like the vague tie-in to the Mooky character in Todd172's world and was wondering if the pot was going to be life saving or not. Enjoy your writing and thank you for sharing.

Rockyderek_caRockyderek_caover 4 years ago
5

I imagine that if he forgives Molly on his death bed or after, he then is faced with trying to reconcile with having left her destitute and crushed. She gave more good than bad... counts for something even in face of middle age aging baaad decisions .

ewray321ewray321about 4 years ago
Wow

I found a story written by you this week as I had never read any of youre stories before. Every thing I have read so far has been excellent.

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 4 years ago
Good Lord.

You are quite the writer.

If you have it in you, I would love to know what the fuck was going on with Molly.

You have built a cozy world here and I'm hooked.

Really good work.

PickFictionPickFictionalmost 4 years ago
Not surprised

(XXXX) Those are adjectives to describe the story. Made an old guy, like all of the characters at one time, teary eyed. Great job as always.

calgarycamperscalgarycampersalmost 4 years ago
Wow

Very well written. It was a joy to read.

richg780richg780almost 4 years ago
What a story

Wow

I've grown to love your work and this is the best of it!

management91399management91399almost 4 years ago

Boom! Wow! Even though this is posted in Non Erotic I guess this is pretty much a LW story but so incredibly sad. And to touch on earlier comments about marital assets, yes I guess that may be an issue but were only seeing things from his perspective, what happens with the money, the donations etc well we don't know. Maybe the family spends the next 50 years fighting over it, although in a perfect world I imagine Molly would have honored his final wishes as I'm sure she would have landed on her feet somehow. Reading so much here on this site I can't help but wonder if there is going to be another version of this from Molly's POV. I'm not 100% sure that's a good thing but I imagine once the hammer dropped and those billboards went up there was quite some drama happening in the fancy home of Molly. It would be also interesting to read how this family grew and how this mother became cold and distant. But I'm just thinking here, this is a great read and stands well on it's own. You know how it is here, popular authors and popular characters and storyline also get asked to do a second act.

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyalmost 4 years ago
Well worth reading!!!

Wow! The title really says it about the story. Very well written. The characters are really well fleshed out. Really well done. 5 stars and a favorite.

I can only give it my highest praise of a story ‘I will read again’.

Please keep writing and I will keep reading.

carindenniscarindennisalmost 4 years ago

MOTHER OF GOD! 5* AND MORE!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Very well written

But depressing as hell. When the hero dies in the end of a story, he's the ultimate loser. Sorry, but this isn't the way to entertain.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
that hurt

i wish he could have but i still haven't and i'm not dying and it's been over 20 years... so i get it. i wish someone could teach me how, but it seems like porn isn't the best place to be looking for that heh

Lector77Lector77over 3 years ago
Integrity

The protagonist kept his.

The only thing this story was missing was a soundtrack of Dexter Gordon playing ballads. That will be remedied on the next reading.

Thank you, Bebop3

49greg49gregover 3 years ago

Wow. One heck of a ride. I'm trying to tear up so everything's blurry, but this is one heck of a story. I usually comment from my non-writer alternate ID, but seem to have forgotten to change over. C'est la vie. Great story, real gut wrencher. Don't know if you have, since you're not an author I usually follow or read, but a story from Molly's perspective would be something interesting. Great Story.

Driven2ReadDriven2Readover 3 years ago
Hard to type -- eye keep going out of focus.

Only thing is I kept waiting for Moukie's G13 strain to cure his cancer .... I have to admit when it comes to BTB, this is a classic.

Somethings a story just makes up for all the crap in LW ... today was one of those days and I don't know how I missed this one originally.

YvesmiYvesmiover 3 years ago
Not my kind

Not a very nice guy. Story is well written. But all he has is self pity ( death happens to all of us), unforgiving even when confronted with his last moments. And he is supposed to be a good christian. But then I am not BTB.

GoesGruntGoesGruntover 3 years ago

We forgive, not for others, but for ourselves. People who selfishly deceive or betray a major trust don't deserve forgiveness. He didn't have time to forgive, to let go of his well justified hate. On the day he discovered he was going to die soon he also discovered his marriage was a lie. The person he should have been able to turn to for support turned out to be someone he couldn't trust.

"But all he has is self pity..." - Yvesmi

I think he was entitled to pity himself. Who wouldn't feel sorrow and compassion for him?

GriscomGriscomalmost 3 years ago

I like the BTB. The spending-the-money down plan was overly complicated, though. I'm pretty sure he could have put all the money in a trust with instructions to get rid of it in various ways on some kind of schedule, both before and after his death. He had enough lawyers and accountants around to manage it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Everything is tell-tell-tell: What the fuck is your hurry? This is like reading an article in a news paper. Slow the fuck down. Give me character interaction. Build some rapport between your primary character and secondary/tertiary characters so that I can FEEL something of the guy's personality.

For fucks sake: Show me something I can touch.

My reviews: The story isn't worth my time.

orestes08orestes08almost 3 years ago

@Anon. While your criticism does have some merit (everyone seems to get 1 introduction with actual dialog, then nothing but recaps), where the fuck does your sense of entitlement come from? You got a story that you paid no money for, and weren't forced to read. If it didn't tickle your fancy, you were free to stop reading at any time, lord knows I've done that with many stories on this site. The person who donated their time and skill to make this story for which they received no compensation probably welcomes feedback, but you have no right to be a dick about it.

orestes08orestes08almost 3 years ago

@Griscom, sure he could have changed his will and cut her out, but practically it's no real guarantee. She would 100% have retained a legal team to claim that he was not of sound enough mind to change his will because of the terminal diagnosis. Even if he succeeded, he would have been setting up his kids for a long and ugly court battle.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Second time reading this story. Not sure which time I shed more tears. You have a great gift thanks for sharing it with us.

GriscomGriscomover 2 years ago

"Sorry, abducted by aliens. Still being probed. Next Monday good?" For the win.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Oh my!!! Wow just wow...you have a gift...you had me on my toes...thank you...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

why have money left? Donate to any charity you like and problem solved.

I would like to have learned what she had left and what happened to her. Did she go back to the Dr? Had she ever stopped with the Dr.?

Leejeff5456Leejeff5456over 2 years ago
An awe inspiring story

A truly magnificent story

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 2 years ago

I read this excellent work again. It is superb.

patilliepatillieover 2 years ago

Wow, that was tremendous! That was LW Hall of Fame worthy but i understand why folks may not want to post there. 56 comments in this section is unheard of. Tremendous, you touched me emotionally with this tale. I do think the MC was bit petty to run his wife around to various meeting points, and then no show. But the hurt ran deep.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I like this story but I also like several others that don't seem to be here anymore, where is Hop on the bus, Gus, the peasants are revolting, and the one about the 2 kids on the bus from California to Colorado? They were 3 of my favorites. Thanks, N.M. Desert Rat

RanDog025RanDog025over 2 years ago

My God you are a fucking genius! What a story! You killed off the main character. When you going to stop doing that? lol Damn what a story. You and Soul71 Authors the most outrageous stories I've ever read. Never stop, please? I guess you know that this story deserves another 25 to 50 stars, right? Well, you have to settle for 5 but they are like the one that guided the three rich kings/ wise men to the manger where Jesus was born. Never stop writing Sir, EVER!

Ocker53Ocker53about 2 years ago

Great story, very well written⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefabout 2 years ago

The five stars says "Love It", but it goes way beyond loving a story that makes a grown man cry while trying to finish reading it. This story is so well written that it just sucked me into it completely. Lots of emotions rolled up into this one story. Felt so sorry for the kids that got the double whammy of a cheating mom and a dying father.

Thanks for another great story.

MasterKoteMasterKoteabout 2 years ago

Truly a masterpiece and wondering what story Bebop3 was referring to at the end b4 his story came out.

MwestohioMwestohioabout 2 years ago

You are a powerful writer

bobareenobobareenoabout 2 years ago

Very good work. I liked the premise. My only critique is that as the reader I wanted a more involved conversation with the betraying spouse. I appreciated, at the same time, the brevity. So I’m conflicted, but that conversation was at the heart of the tale, and it seemed short changed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Last months spent focused on bitterness.

No peace in his soul, he condemned himself to a hell of his own design.

No redemption for him or her.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraabout 2 years ago

Well-written. There are people carrying that much uncontained hate and bitterness. Painful. 5/5.

Barst0hBoyBarst0hBoyalmost 2 years ago

I was sorry that it had to come to an end...but everything does, doesn't it.

nixroxnixroxalmost 2 years ago

5 stars - really heartfelt story.

There but for the grace of Mother Earth go I.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

So amazing…

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Could have been loving wives.

Incredibly moving story.

Simon_ Masters

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Five

Captcha

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69about 1 year ago

Would write more but too many tears.

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 1 year ago

Aside from any awards on Lit this story may have won, it gets my award for the most “Burn the Bitch” story I’ve read on here, plus as someone who has lost family to cancer, it was pretty much on the button as far as the illness goes, brought back some rough memories too.

Many thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz. 5⭐️

jmmj5jmmj5about 1 year ago

I so get this.

Surprised I haven't commented on it before since this is at least the 3rd time I've read it. I'm trying to do better in that regards.

Nice of the author to help us, the readers, feel the nuclear meltdown that the MC was feeling - the pain, the hurt, the rage, the helplessness. I feel for the kids. Good real friends are an unappreciated treasure.

Well done and I look forward to your next one.

ironman1017ironman1017about 1 year ago

I really wish the conversation with the wife would’ve been a little more in depth than that. But oh well.

dmallorddmallordabout 1 year ago

I can't write about this. The tears are causing my eyes to go blurry. 5*

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Extremely great story. Better to disperse your wealth to good people who never betrayed you.

MasterKoteMasterKote10 months ago

Read this a bunch of times and still think its probably the best story on here

WisquejacWisquejac10 months ago

Reread. Always powerful.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

This story is brilliant, thank you.

AnotherChapterAnotherChapter6 months ago

The first, second, or third time? It just hits very hard, and that is what great writing does.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Best story that I have read on this site.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman4 months ago

well written, very powerful, sad too.

LAJ23LAJ233 months ago

Stunning work. Thank you!

chasbo38chasbo383 months ago

Very well done.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

At 76 years of age this hit me like a ton of bricks. So well written. So much emotion. Very well crafted story. Thank you. 5s

mariverzmariverzabout 2 months ago

Te odio, bastardo sin corazón

Cómo escribes esto, piel de gallina y algunas lágrimas tras leer tu obra

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBebop3@Bebop3
I'm about 55,000 words into Secondhand Hearts, a new story in the Hop on the Bus series. If I can figure out a way to post it here without it being stolen and posted on Amazon, I should have it ready in about a week or so. There's someone who has stolen about eight of my stor...

SIMILAR Stories