Sam Spade 18: Case of the Girl with the Golden Eyes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Heather thought for a second, "Samantha, you know I have never tried to tell you what to do or speak when it is not my place. However, I know that I must speak now. Go to her and heal the wound between you two."

I was surprised to say the least. Just as she said, Heather had never given advice in all the time I had known her. "You may be right. Everything else has failed." I looked down and asked, "Will you go with me to see her? I could use someone level headed if we start butting heads." Looking up at her I said, "Please Heather, I need you."

She was going to beg off in favor of Lilith. But hearing Samantha beg shocked her and her co wives to their core. She wondered how bad Samantha would take hearing what Angela and Sue Ann found out about the case. "Of course Samantha," Heather said.

Standing I took her hand and went to Dark Desires in Nevada. Walking up to the front door of the large brothel, I knocked. Jason opened the door and looked at us in surprise. He stepped forward and hugged Heather tightly, "Heather, how are you?" He looked at me and said, "Goddess," in a deadpan voice.

I sighed, looked at Heather and said, "Any more enthusiastic and I would be overwhelmed." Turning my attention to Jason I added, "So what did I do this time to get a burr under your saddle Jason? I know mother is madder than hell at me but I thought I could count on you as someone to talk to." I turned and went to sit in the steps facing away.

Heather, she is in the office if you want to visit with her," Jason said from behind me. He looked at Samantha and realized Lilith had understated Samantha's state. She looked as if she hadn't relaxed in a lifetime or fed in any way. Gone was the spunk and left only profound sadness. He walked forward and sat down next to her. "I'm sorry Sam that was uncalled for."

Not looking at him I said, "Jason, this goddess crap is getting old. I wanted to help man find love when I realized I had to step forward. Instead, my first act was to kill nearly a billion in destroying the hive. To make matters worse, the woman I think of as my mother, hates me. But the final straw is that I lost you as a friend."

"You didn't lose me Samantha, you just misplaced me." He replied softly. Regardless of his own feelings on her supposed godhood, Samantha needed him. "That and gave me a tiny bat that keeps laughing at me."

I had to look at him, "A laughing bat?" I turned my attention to the tiny bat flying around him and nearby. "Have you been laughing at Jason?" I asked it. I heard its reply and frowned. "No, you are supposed to be helpful, not playful. Now tell him you're sorry for teasing him."

Jason's eyes got large when he heard the bat's voice in his mind saying it was sorry. He smiled, "It's okay little one." He looked at Samantha and said, "Give Maradith time Samantha. She will come around once she realizes that she needs you as much as you need her."

"I would if it were just me. But I want her to teach her granddaughter properly. Neither Angela or I are good role models for a young woman."

You two have a daughter?" Jason was stunned. The last he heard it was impossible for them to have children. "Oh you mean you turned a girl and adopted her."

"No I meant Angela and I had a daughter, a girl who was nameless without a past. We gave her a past and someone to love as her parents." I replied looking at him. "Without us, she was an empty shell." I paused and looked down, "Before Maradith a part of me was missing. She gave me her love and mothered me. Angela and I have tried to do the same with our daughter. I am too moody and Angela is well... Angela. We can't teach her about her heritage properly."

"I'll talk to her Sam, though it may have to be here instead of at your place." Jason said softly.

"Here is fine, it will give mother a chance to get to know Marie better," I replied. Standing I said, "I guess I should be going. I have a dead body to find."

That's dark even for you," Jason said standing. The look of profound sadness that Samantha gave him almost dropped him to his knees. He watched helplessly as Samantha disappeared.

Returning home I found Sue Ann kneeling before my desk. She was holding a folder with her head lowered and didn't look up when I appeared. "Somehow I bet that is what I am looking for," I said going and sitting down.

"Yes Samantha," Sue Ann said not looking up.

"Would it be better if I read it alone love?" I asked softly. Usually Sue Ann gives me a short version of what she found out and then I can read her report at my leisure. She didn't reply so I added, "Just set it on my desk and I'll read the report in a few minutes." She stood and put the report on my desk and started to go with her head still lowered.

Stopping at the door, Sue Ann didn't look at Samantha and said, "We're sorry for setting you up to take this case. None of us knew it would be like this." All of them knew this case would hurt Samantha but didn't know how to make it any better.

Opening the folder, I started reading. For the most part it was conjuncture but I was willing to bet Sue Ann's feelings were right. It seemed Barbra Samson was engaged to a Jim Brown. They were to be married in a double ceremony with his sister Amy, and John Davis. She broke it off in a letter and he committed suicide by standing up in a firefight after reading it. According to one of the other soldiers, John and Amy had talked about a mutual friend. The friend was going to visit Barbra and giving her a special hello from John.

I laid my head in my crossed arms on the desk and whispered, "Shit..." Barbra had broken off engagements several times before. Each time she waited until the man was far away before breaking up. The question is why but I bet anything she was dead and Amy did it with John's blessing. Sitting back up I saw Cindy and Lilith had entered and was sitting across from me. "You two don't have to go face it with me," I said looking from one to the other.

"It can't be any worse than the Spanish inquisition," Lilith said simply.

A moment later Cindy said, "Nothing is worse than death Samantha. Where you go, we go."

Sighing I got up and with one last look at the address took a step in that direction. Materializing before the front door I looked at the pair who followed me, "Don't do anything rash."

"That's like the pot calling the kettle black," Cindy said to Lilith.

The young woman who answered the door when I knocked looked like she hadn't slept in a week. She looked at us and unspeaking turned away and walked to the living room where she sat down.

Following her I sat next to her and said tenderly, "Do you want to talk about it Amy?"

She turned her head slowly and looked at me, "I knew someone would come for me. I didn't expect it would be you though."

Her reply gave me a pause. "Who better to still a troubled spirit than me?" I reached out and rested my hand on her thigh, "Talk to me child," I said softly. Mentally I added to my wives, "Search the house quietly."

"I couldn't stop her. I didn't want to stop her," Amy sobbed softly. "Barbra took my brother away and deserved to be punished." She looked up at me with haunted eyes as she added, "You see that don't you?"

"Yes child I do. Sometimes a part of us does something that needs to be done and hurts the other, the caring woman, inside. May I speak to her?" The change in Amy was remarkable. The worn down look faded and a look of barely checked rage took its place. "How does it feel to have your revenge?"

Amy's evil twin smiled at me, "Good goddess... it felt good to make her pay."

"Yes it does feel good. Just like when I destroyed the Quarm hive." I smiled back. My smile faded, "But I didn't realize the cost."

"Cost?" a look of confusion crossed her face.

"Yes the cost. In taking revenge, you destroyed not one but two lives, possibly three." I said tenderly, my hand still on her leg. Looking away from her, I said almost to myself, "At least your sin was a little one. I destroyed countless lives including those who loved me."

"I didn't think..." the girl said. "What happens now to her, to us?"

Mentally I said, "Clean everything up. I can't let this child go to jail for what I would have done in her place. Can any of you?" There was no answer from my wives so I said aloud, "Amy, you must make peace with your other side. You can do that here alone or return to my home. When John comes you both will be wed and Barbra will become nothing more than a memory, a bad memory."

Her eyes cleared and Amy looked up at the goddess, "I'm not damned for all eternity?"

Cindy came, knelt before Amy and took her hands in hers, "Amy, we all have made terrible mistakes and paid the price. You will be damned for all time if you don't come home with us. Please little sister, let us help you heal." She looked up at Samantha and said tenderly, "We can heal you if you allow it." She returned her attention to Amy, "But the first step must be yours."

Lilith looked at Samantha and said softly, "The first step is yours my love."

"Little one go with Cindy, have a healing soak in my essence and I will be along shortly."

You're not coming?" Amy asked in a child like voice.

"No. I must see John so he will know where to find you when he returns home," I answered. I reached out and touched her cheek, "But I will be back just as fast as I can."

"Okay..." Amy replied. She looked at the one called Cindy and added, "I'm ready sister."

In an instant, they were gone. I looked up at Lilith and said, "Let's go see John."

Closing my eyes, I relaxed my mind and felt for him. Opening them once more I saw him crouched behind a little stubble of a fallen wall. Shots were falling all around us and one finally hit me. Looking down at my chest I mentally yelled. "STOP! Kill each other to your heart's content but no one shoots at me." Turning my head slightly, I said simply, "Make an example out of him." With a laugh I didn't think Lilith had inside her, she ran forward. The screams were long, drawn out and ended with a sickening gurgle.

Pushing with my mind to control them I continued, "Drop your weapons and act like adults instead of spoiled children." I could see a golden bubble expanding until it encompassed the whole battlefield. All those within it laid down their weapons and stood. Bending down I lifted John with one hand and tossed him out into the street. Following him I said, "Do you have any idea what you have done? You ruined four lives with your revenge; Barbra's, her parents but most of all your fiancé's."

I pointed down at him as I looked around at the other humans, "Her parents knew she would end up hurt because what she did repeatedly. Barbra deserved to be hurt and given a chance to change her ways." I looked down at him, "But this useless excuse for a human, used his fiancé's psychotic split personality to kill Barbra slowly. He all but commanded her to do the act slowly." I paused and asked, "If the one you loved with all your heart and soul told you who killed your family and set you out to take revenge could you refuse?" Looking down at him I said, "You saw how much it was destroying Amy but instead of stopping her you egged her on you selfish bastard!"

Closing my eyes, I used my essence to create a golden dagger. "Who here would use my golden dagger and strike the first blow for a poor broken girl's mind." I expected a human to take the dagger. Instead it was Lilith who took it from my hand.

She spread her golden wings and looked around as she held the dagger up over her head. "My name is Lilith, first born a human, the first female." Lilith looked down at the man as she continued, "I have seen all manner of human cruelty but yours is the worst I have ever seen." She looked at Samantha and saw only the goddess there. There was no compassion for this human in her goddess's mind. Launching herself at him she drove the dagger with both hands into his chest and into the ground below.

"I sentence you to life," I said coldly. "No matter how bad you are hurt, death will not find you. Only I can release you of your curse." Looking around at the humans I commanded, "Let no hand help this human. If you must fight, take out your anger for one another on him. Join together in punishing him in my name." I returned my gaze to John and said, "Welcome to hell."

Returning home, I walked to the atrium. I saw everyone other than Lilith, Frankie and I, were already in the pool with Amy. Even Kitten and Tigress were sitting on the edge of it unspeaking and waiting for my return. "Frankie, do you wish to return fully just as your sister, Cindy has done?" I asked her ghostly form.

"If it pleases you goddess," Frankie spoke with lowered head. "I would like to come back as Jade, I miss my sister's comforting mind in mine." She raised her head, "But I am needed to control the central computer system. Without me, it is nothing more than inert metal."

The world shifted to the right as she shimmered and became flesh and looking as if she were Jasmine's twin. "Welcome home love," I said tenderly. Mentally I added to her and Jasmine, "Both of you are now tied into the computer network and one person with two bodies just like you were before."

Jade stepped forward and hugged Samantha tightly. She kissed her lover and mistress tenderly and said, "I am yours in all ways"

"Yes you are, now join your sisters and become my wife," I said just as tenderly back. In all the mess of the day, this was my one bright point. As Jade got in I sat down on the ground next to the pool. I looked at Amy and said, "Little one, if you wish, I can take both of your sides and make you whole. However, the girl you are now will no longer exist nor will the angry one be alive. You will be both the good and the bad." I paused and then said, "The choice is yours."

"Will I... I mean we be able to stay here with you?" Amy managed to say. Her older sisters had already talked to her about what was going to happen and that the choice was hers.

"If that is what you wish Amy. Or you can return to the man who used you as his tool for revenge." I said simply.

"Please heal us goddess and allow us to stay here in your loving embrace." Amy said finally.

"Then dunk under and let two become one." I said as my hand touched the golden water.

Amy looked towards Cindy who nodded before taking a breath. She slid under the water and waited for a change. When she could not hold her breath any longer she came up and said, "I don't feel any different. Didn't it work?"

"Didn't it?" I asked with a small smile.

Amy looked towards Cindy, "I don't understand."

"It worked little sister, our Samantha likes to have a big build up so you don't realize it happened just after you got in." Cindy replied. She smiled, "You were one before she asked."

"What would you have done if I said no," Amy asked her goddess.

"If you really wanted to stay unhappy I would have changed you back. But I knew you would rather have peace than a fractured mind," I replied with a little smile. Standing I walked out and out the front door. Sitting down on the steps, I wondered what I was going to tell Barbra's parents. I knew one of the girls, Lilith or Angela would come out to talk to me so I was surprised when I heard Jason's voice say, "So Sam, what's on your mind?"

"I have resolved every case I have ever taken. Sometimes the ending was not what they wanted but it was solved nonetheless." I didn't look at him as I continued, "How do I tell my clients that their daughter is dead and that the girl who killed her is under my protection."

"You forgot the part about the guy who put her up to it is in a living hell now." Jason said softly.

"The minute I do and explain how he got there, Sam Spade is dead and I will be the goddess and nothing more." I looked at him, "I'm not sure I can handle that role 24/7." I sighed and looked out over the yard, "I knew all hell would break loose when I took over the mob. But this other shit is getting out of control." I paused again and then looked back towards the house, "What's Maradith doing? Surely she is not having a long soak."

"She was getting to know your daughter. Now she is ripping Angela and her mother a new one over your mental state." Jason sighed, "I always wondered why god kept apart from us. After looking at you, I understand now." He paused and then asked, "When was the last time you had fun or even relaxed?"

I was going to give a flip answer but something in Jason's face stopped me, "I can't remember," I finally said looking down. "It's sad really. A house full of women who would love nothing more than to have a friendly frolic and I can't join in."

"Why Sam?" Jason prodded.

"Because I am the mistress, their mistress. No one will suggest it because of the role I play. I cannot say let's have fun because they are pleasing their mistress. I thought I could side step the issue by taking wives. But they are doing anything I ask because of what I am and not who I am." I looked Jason and said softly, "In short I'm fucked."

"I think you are selling them short Samantha." Jason said. "Why do you think we came? Because the goddess was in trouble? We are here because Samantha needs us. You need us. You need your mother to cling and cry to and I'm here because you need a friend." He paused and then added, "If you think I am going to grovel and worship you, you are mistaken."

"I think I would lose it if you did," I replied. "So what do I do?"

Jason thought a long time before answering, "First, tell the girl's parents the truth. If you do anything less, you will not be true to yourself. Next look into the hearts and minds of those you love and see how they really feel. If their love is to the goddess role, then so be it. I expect you will find they love you and not a role you play. Most importantly, have fun. You have to learn to relax."

I was wondering how to respond when Marie showed up with a drink for me and a beer for Jason. "Saved by the bell," I said to myself. Aloud I said, "Jason, may I present my daughter Marie. Marie, this is Jason."

Marie handed him a beer and then smiled, "It's a pleasure to meet you Jason." She moved to sit on the step below her mother and rest her back against her legs. Looking at Samantha she said, "You should listen in to your mother and Lilith going at it. Their command of the language of the elders is remarkable." She looked at Jason and added, "Maradith is holding her own."

"She would," Jason replied. He looked at Samantha and added, "Four thousand years of issues between the two have finally boiled over." He paused and then looked down, "I'm sorry Sam.'

"For what?" I asked. "It will do them good to have it out." I paused and then added, 'But what is the language of the elders? That's a new one for me."

"Mom, it's their native tongue," Marie replied. She was surprised her mother didn't know it. Even Angela her other mother knew all about it and had taught it to her.

"See she proves my point," I replied running my fingers through Marie's hair. "There is too much I don't know." I was about to continue when the fight inside took on a higher pitch and I could feel the anger all the way outside. Handing Marie my drink I said, "I'll be right back, you two get to know each other." I smiled and added, "Marie, ask Jason how we met."

I went to my mesa and looked around. Reaching out I pulled Lilith and Maradith to me. Looking at them I said, "I don't care how much you two fight but you are disrupting our home with your anger." I paused and then said, "Both of you will stay here until you have made your peace be it a minute, hour, day, year or eternity."

"Samantha you can't hold..." Maradith started.

I stopped her and said, "I have mother. I returned to the steps and took my glass back from Marie. "Well that takes care of that." I took a deep drink of the bourbon.