Sandy and Brad Ch. 01

Story Info
Begining of the Story Series "Sandy and Brad".
15.3k words
4.64
14k
16
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers

"Sandy And Brad – Ch-01"
"Home Comes The Warrior"


Part 1
"On The Sidewalk"


The uniformed Marine who was wearing his Dress Uniform with Sargent stripes with several ribbons, was standing on the sidewalk beside the taxi cab, leaning on his cane. He was waiting for the driver to get his bags from the trunk. He took a deep breath and slowly breathed out in a long, slow, tired sigh.

There was no one here. He had called. They said they would be right down. Of ourse, he realized, he had only called when he got here. He was just so wrapped up with his Discharge and returning home. And he was feeling so tired from the long hours of traveling. But this was not his home. And he knew that his parents were not coming. They had died two months ago in a car accident, while he lay unconscious in a Military Hospital in Germany.

There had been a letter waiting for him when he had awoke in the hospital. It was from his Mom. Written when his Mom and Dad had last visited. There was also a small bundle of letters from his best friend. Since then he had read his Mom's letter every day. As well as the others. He now carried his Mother's letter with him in his pocket. With it was another letter from his best friend. The last one she had written. His Best Friend, the girl he dated in High School. It was just one of many he had received from her while in the hospital. And that friend who had also made the trip to visit him in Germany several times, even when he was unconscious.

Sandra Brooks, his long time friend from high school, had been there when he was awoken in Germany. He was so happy to see her. Then after a time she had the hard task of informing him of the death of his parents. And Sandy had stayed with him as he grieved. It had been so much to take in those first few hours he was awake. And Sandy had remained there holding his hand.

And she had insisted, that when he was released, he was to come back to live with her. She would not take no for an answer. And he could not think of any other place he wanted to be. And he finally realized just how much he cared for her. So he had readily agreed. And he knew, deep down, this was what he had wanted. After all those years, he was happy to be going home to her. That was what she had told when she left two weeks ago. He was to come home to her.

And at the time, back in the hospital, it was the single bright spot in his life. It was what kept him working hard those last two months he spent in the hospital. To go home to Sandy.

He glanced up at the apartment building. It looked to be about twenty five stories high. Again he looked at the number on the building. 1776 Liberty Ave. He smiled. He really liked the address. And this was where he was suppose to come and be met.

Taking another deep breath he blew it out as he began to feel how tired he was from the trip from Germany. The long overnight flight to New York and then there was the several hours of waiting for his connecting flight. And both of his legs still ached from his wounds, the numerous surgeries and the stiffness from being in bed for months recovering. And his back was sore from those hard as rock, plastic airport chairs. He snorted. He ached all over.

He yawned. Maybe, he thought I should have stayed over night in New York. Then he remembered all the connecting flights were booked solid for the next three days. So he endured the wait, thinking mostly of getting home to see his best friend. The girl he was in love with. His High School Sweetheart.

He then shook his head in disgust, again thinking of the asshole of a TSA Agent in New York, who did not believe he had all that metal in him from his surgical pins and metal plates in his left leg, holding the bones together and several more pins in both arms. The only questions the Agent kept asking were: What was he hiding? And why? But what really boiled him was when the Agent demanded he take off his artificial right leg for examination.

He remembered he was getting so irritated at the agent's stupidity, he had thought about stuffing him into a near-by trash bin. In pieces.

Fortunately, a TSA Supervisor showed up and had quickly got him on his way. Good thing too, he thought, taking a deep breath and blowing it out. He had walked away with both agents' names. He would be filing both a strongly worded complaint and a thank you.

He again shifted his stance to ease the pain in his left leg. He needed a nice long nap. And he knew it would help a lot to get his perspective back. He never was quick to anger, but that TSA Agent had almost pushed him too far.
He sighed again.

And he knew, that his stiffness and pain was also from his not being active while in the hospital. Due to his injuries he had been sedated for quite sometime. The doctors had stated that the pain would fade in time and for him to take it slow and easy. Until then he had the prescription for some pain pills. And a bottle with a bunch of them was in his duffel bag. He sighed. He hated taking them. His mind got fuzzy from them and they made him sleepy too. Something else he was going to have to deal with.

Sighing heavily he realized that he had spent far too long medically sedated as his brain slowly recovered and healed from the pounding it had taken when he had been injured.

Perhaps at bed time would be best.

His thoughts again drifted back to that last hazy day in Afghanistan.

And to the wounds he had received in Afghanistan. Wounds that had placed him in a Military Hospital in Germany for months. Wounds that got him discharged with a full medical. Wounds that got him a Purple Heart.

He sighed, shaking his head. Like he really wanted a medal. All he had wanted, was to get those in his squad through their tour and get them home, without loosing anyone. And there I was, he thought, on my third combat tour and I'm the one sent home. His Military Career finished after seven years. He looked down at the sidewalk. Down at his legs. Well, one leg, he again reminded himself bitterly. He had nothing left of his planned future.

He sighed heavily.

"Brad!!!" came an excited female voice from behind the Marine.

He turned. A smile filled his face. "Sandy!"

Sandy rushed up and stopped about two feet before him. She was at least four inches taller than the Marine. She had long auburn hair which she wore loose, her greenish eyes sparkled and she had a big beautiful smile. She reached out and gently touched his arms. Then she started crying looking at him. "You're home, Brad. You're home."

"Sandy, I won't break," stated Brad as he held out his left arm.

She looked down at his legs then slowly up his body then at his face. Then into his eyes. Her smile faded.

"I promise," stated Brad as he dropped the cane and took a slow step to her while wrapping his arms about her.

Sandy quickly joined him and hugged him, holding him tight against her. She rested her head against his. "Oh, Brad!" was all she could say before she started weeping again.

The Cab Driver closed the trunk and set a pair of green duffel bags down on the sidewalk. He then reached down and picked up the cane and waited.

Brad looked at the Cab Driver.

"When I got home from Nam," said the Driver, "my Mom cried for hours. Even my Dad cried." He shook his head. "I can wait, Marine. For a home coming. I'm in no rush."

Sandy finally stood back, still holding him at arm's length, looking at Brad. Tears still running down her cheeks. She took a deep breath and sighed as she smiled at him. "You must be tired."

"A bit," agreed Brad. "Had a seven hour delay in New York."

"You should have called me," pouted Sandy. "I would have come to New York to get you. Even to Germany."

He smiled. "Wanted to surprise you," returned Brad.

"You certainly did!" declared Sandy. "Was not expecting you until Friday."

"Got released early," replied Brad.

"Sargent Cassidy," said the Cab Driver.

Brad turned to look at the driver. "Yes?"

"Do you need help with your bags?" asked the driver.

Sandy smiled at him with tears still running down her face. "I can handle them."

"Wait!" said the Cab Driver, pointing at her. "You're Sandra Brooks the tennis player."

"The one and only," confirmed Brad.

"My grand daughter is a big fan," stated the Driver. "She watches all of your matches."

Sandy smiled. "Does she play?"

"She does," answered the Driver. "Still just starting. Been playing for a couple of years."

"I'm sponsoring a tennis camp this summer" said Sandy. "Actually two one week camps. Here in the city."

"We know," returned the driver. "But the cost is too much for us."

"Can I borrow a pen?" asked Sandy pointing at the pens in the driver's shirt pocket.

"Sure." He handed her one.

Sandy pulled out a small pile of elastic wrapped business cards from her pocket. She pulled one out from the elastic. "My card. This is the Bradford Returning Active Veterans Endeavor. Or as I like to call it The Brave Endeavor. Its sponsoring the Tennis Camps." She wrote a phone number on the back then signed it. "Have your grand daughter call me. Her name?"

"Kimberly."

"Kimberly," repeated Sandy as she again wrote on the back of the card.

"Bradford?" questioned Brad.

Sandy laughed and pointed at Brad. "BRAVE is named for him. Bradford!" She turned to Brad.

Brad shook his head, confused.

"I needed a name," chuckled Sandy. "And yes I got the idea sitting there watching you in the hospital. And while talking to the others and their families." She looked back at the Cab Driver. "The VA and the military do a lot. But sometimes the Veterans or their families need something they can't afford or something hard to find. Or help and they don't know who to turn to. Or they maybe need some type of medical equipment. The foundation is there for that."

"Big order," stated the Cab Driver.

Sandy handed her card and the pen to him. "Not really. Not when our Veterans are so Brave. If they can step up and do those hard things that need to be done. Then we should step up and support them when they need it. Usually its just us doing the research and connecting the two together. Its surprising how much help we do get." She looked at him. "Have Kimberly call me tomorrow. We have plans for tonight."

"Understood," replied the Driver. He shook his head. "Still can't afford it."

Sandy smiled. "Don't worry about the cost. I'll wave her fees."

The Driver stopped and just looked at Sandy for a moment. "Thank you. Thank you very much."

The driver then held out a card to Brad. "Sir, if you or Miss. Brooks ever need a ride. Call the company and ask for number 52 or use my name, Dave Tanner. I'm usually on days."

"Thanks," replied Brad taking the card. "What's the fare?"

The driver held out his hand.

Brad took the offered hand and shook it.

The driver said, "Marine, you already paid your fare."

"But..."

"Nam!" stated Tanner. "My reception when I got home was 'Hanoi Jane' and getting spit on by a bunch of war protesters. I vowed never to let that happen to another service man or woman. You all deserve better."

Still holding Tanner's hand, Brad gave him a firm handshake. "Thank you."

Tanner looked at Sandy. "Take real good care of him."

"I plan to," replied Sandy. "Thanks."

Tanner held out the cane. "Yours, Marine."

Brad took his cane, nodding his thanks.

"Remember my card. My cell number is on the back. I know all the places that are Vet friendly. So give me a call." He looked at the young Marine for a moment. "Or even if you just need to talk to someone who knows what you've been through."

"Thank you," said Brad.

"I'll remember," added Sandy.

"Actually," stated Tanner, "I think the protesters should have gone to Washington and spit on a few of our Congressmen."

Brad chuckled and nodded.

Sandy covered her mouth as she snickered.

Dave Tanner looked at Sandy. "And I'll have Kimberly call you tomorrow." Tanner got back into his cab and drove off leaving Sandy and Brad standing on the sidewalk in front of the apartment building.

Brad looked up at the apartment building. "Top floor?"

"Brad, you should have called," pouted Sandy.

"Turn about is fair play, Sandy. You sitting there by the bed when I woke up."

Sandy moved to stand in front of him. She shook her head. "Only the fourth floor. Three bedrooms." She gazed into his eyes for a long moment. "What am I ever going to do with you?" She then reached up with her hands and held his face and leaned close, closed her eyes and kissed him.

After several long moments Brad broke the kiss and smiled at her. "Maybe we should go inside."

Sandy nodded. She smiled and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "I'll get your duffel bags." She handed Brad a key ring. "Your keys. The silver one is for the front door. The brass one is for the apartment's deadbolt and the one with the rubber thing on it is for the regular lock."

"Three keys," stated Brad. "I think I can do that."

"We're in Apartment 4 D." She then hefted up the two green bags. "Don't worry. There's a pair of elevators. And only one step up at the front door. There's also a wheelchair ramp on the left side."


End Part 1

"Sandy And Brad – Ch-01"
"Home Comes The Warrior"
Part 2
"Welcome Home"


As they exited the elevator, Sandy stated, "To the right. Second door on the left. That's ours. This door," continued Sandy as they walked by a door on the right with a small sign labeled 'Emergency Exit,' "is the fire stairway. With your legs I thought the fourth floor was high enough."

"Thanks," replied Brad. "Maybe in a year or so I'll do all 25 or more."

Behind him Sandy chuckled. "I bet you will, Brad. Bet you will. While I'll huff and puff my way behind you."

Brad snorted. "Some tennis player you are."

Behind him Sandy continued to chuckle. "Brass key for the dead bolt," directed Sandy. "The one with rubber thing is for the regular lock."

Brad unlocked the apartment door then stepped in and held the door for Sandy. Then closed the door.

Sandy set the duffel bags down against the cabinets next to the refrigerator. She gestured back towards the door. "Double bolt it."

Brad gave the deadbolt another twist.

Sandy stepped over to him. "Then we put the security bar up." She picked up a heavy square bar that was leaning by the door and dropped it into a set of 'U' shaped clamps on each side of the door frame. There was another set of clamps mounted on the door that the bar sat in.

"There was a break in on the second floor just over a month ago," explained Sandy. "They kicked in the apartment door. So I requested the additional security. And now our PCs are wired up to the building's internal video camera system. When we order delivery we can see them at the front door to buzz them in. And track them in either elevator and every hallway." She touched the door. "That way we can see and know who's knocking on the door."

"Nice," stated Brad.

Sandy then rapped the door with her knuckles. It gave off a heavy sound. "Heavy duty steel door. It cost me a bit. But it will hold off your average criminal."

"Nice security," agreed Brad.

Sandy pointed at door. "When we


we can take it with us unless the owners pay for it. Got it in writing."

"Is there a back door?"

"This is the back door." She pointed through an arched opening. "The front door is in the living room. Same set up."

Brad moved to the opening and looked. "Same keys?"

"Yep!" replied Sandy. "And in the city the delivery guys have to have a photo ID from the restaurant," continued Sandy. "Ask them to flash their ID."

"No ID," stated Brad, "No entry." He looked around. "I know this furniture."

"You should. Most is from your house. The rest is in storage. As is the rest of the furniture and stuff from your house, its all in storage," explained Sandy gesturing towards the living-room. "So you can sort through it later. And the house is currently rented out. A six month continuing lease. In case we decide to move there. Otherwise you have some income coming in. Oh, Brad, all of your books are here."

She stepped over to him. "Come. Sit down. We need to talk."

"Your parents still in Bolton?"

"For another couple of months," responded Sandy. "Then out to 'Big Sky' Montana. Or they were."

"Sandy? Were?"

"Yeah, they're going out there but just to scout out a place. Then they'll be coming back."

"Why?" asked Brad. "They were looking forward to moving out there for years."

"They want to make sure that we're okay."

"Sandy," began Brad.

"Brad, please," she said, pointing at the sofa. "Sit down."

Brad looked at her then moved over to the sofa. Then he slowly eased himself down on to the sofa at the left end. He laid the cane on the floor behind his feet.

Sandy sat down next to him, on his right. She then wrapped her arms about him and held him tight. She laid her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. "Brad," she whispered. She began crying again.

Brad wrapped his arms about her and just held her. He closed his eyes just feeling thankful that Sandy had waited for him. His thoughts went back to high school. He remembered the first time he saw her. All the guys in the science class had watched her come in. Even many of the girls. Back when they were Freshman and his being assigned with Sandra as her lab partner. He was nearly tongue tied into speechlessness. Him with one of the prettiest girls in the school. They both soon discovered they had many interests in common. And slowly a friendship developed and grew.

While Brad was into wrestling, Sandra enjoyed tennis. Later Sandra liked going to watch Brad during his meets. Brad loved to watch Sandy on the court playing tennis. She was so graceful in her moves, while Brad displayed his skill and strength during his matches. Then they made study trips to the library with burgers later and a ride home from one of their parents. Then he had asked her out to go see a movie. By that time one of their parents would always drive taking them to whatever the match was then drive the other home. Until they each got their drivers license. Sandy first then a few months later Brad got his.

Brad's memories skipped forward to when he stood at attention as a new Marine after boot camp. He was so surprised when Sandy ran up to him. He had not expected to see her. She had made the trip with his parents. And his Dad had saluted him, telling him he was very proud of him. And he remembered his Mom had hugged and told him to do his duty but to be careful.

He suddenly snorted at a memory.

"What?" whispered Sandy, still hugging him.

"Just remembered something."

"What, Brad?"

"My first over seas assignment. To our Embassy at Melbourne, Australia," replied Brad.

"I remember," said Sandy. "Your Mom was so relieved about it. As were my parents."

"I can imagine," muttered Brad.

"And me," said Sandy softly.

Brad tightened his hug.

"So what about Australia?"

"The guys making fun of me cause I watched your matches," said Brad.

Sandy snickered. "I can imagine that."

"I told them I knew you from high school," stated Brad. "They didn't believe me."

"So..." began Sandy, "you never told them we dated."

"Only once," replied Brad with a chuckle. "It took a while for them to stop laughing. Think it took about three days for the ribbing to stop."

She lifted her head to look at him. "So that's why they all dropped their jaws when I kissed you."

"Yeah," said Brad slowly. "They stopped laughing at me after that."

Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers