Satisfied With Love Ch. 02

Story Info
The saga at Packard Records continues.
11.2k words
4.63
4.2k
4
0

Part 2 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/24/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MDSW
MDSW
520 Followers

Satisfied With Love Ch. 02

by MDSW©

Author's Notes: It will behoove the reader to begin with 'Satisfied With Love Ch. 01' to get all the background information and the beginning of this novel.

Keep the comments coming. I read each one. I do hope you enjoy the novel.

MDSW

********

Larry focuses on Brad and continues, saying, "Brad, I would like to ask you a personal question, maybe two, and give you right of refusal if you choose not to answer."

"Sure, Larry, ask away."

"After Little assaulted you, you made sure everyone was okay and I commend you for doing that. Then, you went to your staff and gave them a hug. I know you said something to them, but I was not able to hear."

"I just asked them if they felt better Larry," Brad replies.

"Okay. I just wondered.... To me, your behavior was a little.... unorthodox. I have never seen anyone hug anyone in a professional environment, especially in upper management. So, my question to you is -- why did you give your staff a hug, of all things?" Larry asks.

"Good question Larry," Brad said smiling and sat straight up in his chair. "It's also a loaded question. The short answer is because they needed a pick-me-up to help rid them of some of the fear they felt, but it goes beyond that. For the long answer, I'll try to be as brief as I can and my staff will help me explain."

"The three owners are in the process of establishing an understanding with all current staff assistants. First and foremost, our desire is for them to be happy working for us and the Packard Empire."

"For obvious reasons, we don't want our staff to be scared at work. The previous incident scared them so my natural reaction, both as their friend and as their leader, is to help them feel better. Because of our current relationship, that process begins with a hug and that is only one tool in the arsenal I can use to help throw scared out the window and collect happy employees in return. A hi-five, or any variant thereof, is another. It is not a final solution, but it is a good start. I want them to know I support them because of the massive amount of support they have given us."

"My two staff members and myself make up a three person mini team we have unofficially titled Team Brad. I volunteered to be the leader of that team. I am an owner.... after all, and.... as such, I thought.... it appropriate for me.... maybe.... to assume that role, even though.... I've never done it before," Brad said, hesitating several times.

Kristi and Jeni giggle. So did Larry and Helen.

"Well, it's true, so you two stop giggling...." he said, smiling at his staff as they straighten up.

They know he is playing with them. Larry and Helen are also smirking. They also understand Brad is playing with them.

"If any one member of my team is hurt, the team is hurt. As their leader, that is the way I want to lead my team. I have a great deal of respect for them and I want them to continue to serve on my staff, so I treat them accordingly."

"I have a good relationship with them and they have a good relationship with me, however, it's very young and still evolving. We help each other and talk about everything. We get along very well and cover each other's back. We laugh and joke together, sometimes at my expense, and I'm okay with that. It's a small price to pay to maintain a happy staff."

"Performance and attitude are two very important factors I use to evaluate them. Because of all this, I have the best team in the world and I'm seriously proud of them. They are the Packard Empire's best asset and its most secret weapon."

"We, as owners, try to protect the staff as best we can and we want them to feel at ease working with us and for us, as well as trust us, as each owner should. If things don't work out the way we expect, we start searching for answers. My bottom line is, I want the people that work for myself and my sisters to be happy, plain and simple. Ms Miner, do you have anything you wish to add?" Brad asks as he looks at her.

Jeni and Kristi are emotionally touched by how Brad perceives them. Kristi pauses a second to formulate an answer, then looks at him.

"No, Mr Weber. I believe you have stated our position very accurately and I agree with you."

"Nothing to add?"

"Nothing, Mr Weber."

"So, what did I do wrong?" he asks, smiling.

Kristi smiles and lowers her head, saying, "Busted."

She looks back at Brad as they all laugh. He gave Kristi a hi-five and she feels much better.

"Ms Gilbert?"

"I can only agree with you and Ms Miner," she said.

Brad gave Jeni a hi-five, then turns back to Larry and Helen.

"That's the reason and we're sticking to it," Brad said.

"I can emphasize my point as well.... Allow me to ask a series of questions to both of you, but don't answer them please.... Do you think giving my staff a hug made them feel bad? Do you think the hug made them feel guilty about being scared? Do you think they do not appreciate my effort to help ease their tension? Do you think they hate me because I gave them a hug? The obvious answer is yes."

Kristi and Jeni react instantly with expressions of shock on their faces.

"That is not true and you know it Brad, sorry, Mr Weber," Kristi said immediately.

"I agree. Why are you being so mean as to say something like that. It's not true and you know it," Jeni said.

Jeni playfully hit him several times as they vocally disagree with his conclusion. They told Larry and Helen the opposite is true as they pout.

"Okay, okay, I sit corrected. I owe my team an apology because I made them feel bad. Stand up please," he told them as he stands and faces them.

Jeni asks, "Can we hug you this time?"

Brad looks up, folds his arms across his chest, then lifts one hand up to his chin.

"Good question. Let me think about that," Brad replies, smiling.

Jeni and Kristi immediately laugh as they stand up. They both know the answer.

As the girls are about to hug him, Brad turns around, facing away from them. Another smile broke out on their faces as they move around to his front, holding on to him so he cannot turn again.

Jeni said, "Mr Weber, if you don't behave, we're going to throw you in the pool!"

As the fun turns serious, they group hug and it's a tight one. When they finally broke the hug, they sit down with happiness and smiles written on their faces. Larry and Helen took notice.

Brad said, directing his comments to his staff, "I wanted Larry and Helen to hear you speak your mind and I'm sorry I did that to you. I should have asked first, but if I did, you may not have responded from your heart, as you just did," he explains as he looks at them.

Then he turns back to Larry and Helen.

"Okay, the obvious answer to my questions is no, but notice how my actions affected my staff. Yes, they feel good inside and appreciate what I have done to help them ease their tension and feel better. Yes, much of the fear they were feeling is gone. Yes, it makes them happy to know their leader appreciates them, because he does. Yes, they are happy to work for the Packard Empire and you just saw the proof. What makes me happy, is getting hugs...."

Kristi and Jeni laugh and nod.

"Seriously, what makes me happy is knowing they are happy. It all comes down to a win-win situation. Don't you want to be happy working for the Packard Empire? Deep down, doesn't every employee want to feel just as happy at work as they do at home?"

"Yes, and I agree with you Brad, but that was one tight hug," Larry said inquisitively.

"The tighter the hug, the happier the staff, as you just witnessed. I have two happy staffers which makes me happy so it's a win-win situation. That makes us a happy team. It would not be fair for you to read anything else into this. If all you see is the tightness of the hug, you are not seeing the reason for the hug and its effect on people."

"I treat my staff like they are important to me for one reason, and one reason only.... Because they are important to me. Why are they important to me you ask? You are a smart man, Larry. Knowing I've been in this job for all of thirteen days now, you can figure out why. There is no way I can walk into this job without their support."

"My bottom line is -- I have two happy staffers and that makes me happy. It's a win-win scenario," Brad explains with a grin. "Just look at them! Don't they look happier now than they did a couple minutes ago?" Brad asks as he gave Jeni and Kristi a hi-five.

"All of you do, Brad," Helen admits.

"I did four things to make that happen. What were they?"

Helen answers quickly saying, "You had a little fun with them, gave them a group hug, apologized and explained why you did what you did, all of which relieved most of the tension they were feeling," Helen said.

"Right you are Helen. That was very observant of you. Which one helped the most?" Brad asks.

She pondered that question for a second, then said, "The fun because it temporarily took them completely away from the tension they were feeling."

"Outstanding!" he said giving her a hi-five. "I could have just apologized and been done with it. Adding the humor, the hug and the explanation really changed what they were feeling. Once again, the happier they are, the happier I am," Brad said.

"Why did you tell them the reason you are doing these things?" Larry asks. "Shouldn't you keep that a secret?"

Brad replies, "If you think your employees are not smart enough to figure these things out behind your back, you're sadly mistaking. When you have secrets between you and your team, ill feelings will eventually surface and your team will go downhill because they may think they are being used, or worse, lied to. Those two things alone can destroy a team."

"I have no problem telling them why I do things if they ask, and most of the time, they ask. Sometimes, I just tell them, like I just did, but I will not lie to them nor keep secrets from them. If they need or want to know, they ask and I tell them. To me, having a great team is more important than keeping secrets. The relationship I have with this team far exceeds any other I've ever had at any other place I worked or endured. It even exceeds any other team I have observed. End of story," he said, smiling.

"We can go on and on about this subject, Larry. You are curious enough to ask the question. Why?" Brad asks.

"Brad, I don't want to answer that question in front of my direct employee."

"Why is that Larry?" Will something going go seriously wrong if Helen knows?"

"Not that I know of. I just don't want her to know my answer to that question."

"I understand Larry. You want secrets between you and your team and now Helen knows it. What do you expect her to think of her leader now?"

Larry pauses to think, then answers.

"I see your point Brad, so I will answer your question.... I want this company to be a happy place to work. I can see the relationship you have with your team is far superior to any other team relationship I have ever had, or witnessed in others, and I've seen lots of teams. My bottom line -- I would like to achieve that here, with my team because my employees deserve it."

Larry continues, "The questions you answered struck a chord within me. This is something I have wanted to do for many years and you seem to have figured out how to do it already, and in a short period of time. I'm interested in tapping your brain so I may replicate it here, even if you are just a 23 year old kid," he said and laughs.

"Helen now knows something private about you Larry. Do you think she hates you now?"

Larry looks at Helen and she has a blank expression on her face.

"Helen, do you hate me because of my answer?"

"No Mr Strait.... I have a deeper respect for you because you are willing to tell me things that I may not need to know, but help me understand where my boss is coming from."

"Thank you for that Helen.... And thank you for that Brad."

"You feel a lot better now, don't you?" Brad asks.

"Yes I do Brad."

Helen smiles and spoke up saying, "I also feel better as well."

Brad smiles and said, "Back on subject guys.... We need to schedule some time to spend with you, which is why I asked you to call me after you replace your VP."

"You knew then?"

"I did, Larry."

"But.... how?"

"It was mostly a hunch because you apologized to each one of us, not to all of us as a group. You seem to be as concerned about individuals as you are about the company. That indicated to me you may be interested.... Allow me to ask a few more questions, if I may, hopefully to prove my theory," Brad said.

Larry nods.

"Helen, if you do not wish to answer the following questions, just say so please. There is no requirement that you have to answer them and nobody will fire you or hold it against you. The term 'boss' will be a generic term and not specifically relating to any one person, but to a job. I will also assume your boss is the male of the species, for whatever reason. Okay?"

Helen nods her desire to answer his questions.

"First question -- does the act of giving or receiving a hug offend or insult you?"

"No, of course not."

"Would you appreciate your boss giving you an accolade for work well done?"

"Yes, Mr Weber, absolutely."

"Call me Brad, please."

"Brad, I would prefer to call you Mr Weber, if that is okay with you."

"Oh? Tell me why you feel that way please."

"Because I want to give you the respect you deserve. I want to be personable too, but it is more important to me to be respectful of our new owner. I believe you have earned it based solely on your performance here this morning."

"Okay,.... as you wish Helen.... My staff has made that perfectly clear so I will respect your wish as well. It's just weird, to me, to be called Mr Weber since I am just a 23 year old kid," Brad said as he smiles.

The rest of them laugh. Now Brad has a deeper understanding as to why his staff desires to call him Mr Weber in public and business situations, and continues with the questions.

"Would you like to know your boss appreciates the work you do on his behalf?"

"Yes, of course."

"If something scares you at work, would you appreciate it if your boss helps calm your nerves or ease your tension?"

"Yes, I believe I would, but no boss has ever done that."

"Would you feel better about yourself and better about your boss if he gave you a hug or any other form of affection as a thank you for work well done?"

"Yes, Mr Weber, I would," Helen said.

"Would you feel better about your job and the company as a result?"

"I believe I would."

"The big question is -- why don't we do that? I believe it's because we have been indoctrinated not to be that way in a professional environment and I don't agree with it. I believe people should be treated the same way, whether it's at work or home. It is the right way to treat people and I also believe they will be happier people as a result."

"Do you wish Larry would do that for you Helen?"

Helen lowers her head and blushes.

Hesitating and feeling embarrassed and in a low voice, she eventually said, "Yes, I would appreciate it."

Brad gave her a hi-five to make her feel better and she smirks.

"That is proof positive. I'm beginning to believe you are right Brad. I find myself agreeing with everything you said," Larry responds.

Then Larry gave his attention to his secretary.

"Helen, will you give me permission to give you hugs and hi-fives as Brad just explained?" Larry asks.

"Yes, Mr Strait, I will give you that permission, as long as I can do the same."

"You have that permission. Thank you, Helen," Larry said giving her a hi-five.

"Stand up please," he said as he stands and walks around the coffee table.

She stands, met him half way and they exchange a long hug. The Packard team can see a visible change in Helen. They can't see Larry's face because it is hidden behind Helen's head. Then Larry broke the hug, smiling.

"That sure was a long hug Larry."

They all laugh as Brad made his point.

"Point well made Brad," Larry acknowledges, with a smile.

"What about me and my staff, Helen and Larry?" Brad asks.

"Yes, Mr Weber, of course all of you have my permission as well," Helen said.

"Me too," Larry said.

"Ms Miner and Ms Gilbert, do you give permissions as I do?"

They nod and hi-fives are given to everyone in the office.

"Larry, why did I ask my staff for their permission instead of me telling you on their behalf?"

"I can only assume that you want them to respond instead of you."

"That is true, but, for me as their leader, it's because I am not their boss. I don't boss them around or take liberties with them that are not mine to take. It is not my place to answer for them, nor assume they want to do something just because I want them to. They are smart enough to make their own decisions. I want them to feel good about working for me. I do this because I respect them not only as an employee, but also as a person."

"Good point Brad. That is something I will remember."

"I also must apologize for forcing my philosophy on you guys," Brad admits.

Helen and Larry look at each other, then back to Brad, and said in unison, "You did not force anything on me Mr Weber/Brad," they said, then look at each other and laugh.

"I was hoping to hear that answer,...." he said, laughing with them. "Great! I knew there is a reason why I like this job."

They laugh together.

"I give hugs because it makes people feel good. It is by far the best part of my day. It makes me happy and it creates a happy environment to work in. I also get as many hugs as I give. After all, leaders need hugs too."

Brad's staff chuckles.

"But, I also expect professionalism in their performance, a great attitude as staff assistants and, I want them to be happy. In fact, based on our agreement, I pay them to be happy, but work comes first. As long as those things happen, I'm a happy Brad and you can believe me when I say it. I rest my case," Brad said smiling, along with his staff.

"You have made an impressive and interesting case Brad. Thank you for that. May I ask your staff a question?" Larry asks.

"Now you're really pushing it Larry...." Brad said, snickering as Larry laughs. "Okay, sure, as long as they have right of refusal."

"Of course, they have it. Ms Miner and Ms Gilbert, would you be honest with me and answer this question -- what would it take for you to leave your current position and work for me, or someone else?"

Both of them shook their head at the same time.

Kristi spoke first, "First of all, Mr Strait, please understand, this is not personal. It's all about the job."

"My answer is -- I will not leave this job. I have the best job with the best leader, and, it's the best leader that makes it the best job. I do agree with Mr Weber's assessment of having the best relationship with us and it goes both ways. Do I always agree with the team? No, but our professional relationship allows us to be real and flexible about these discussions and this business."

"Each of us has an opinion and if I disagree, I say what I have to say and move on without holding grudges. Each of us knows our place and we do not overstep established boundaries. The final decision about any disagreement rests with our team leader, Mr Weber."

"Because we, as a team, talk about anything and everything, our relationship continues to grow, new boundaries are added and job satisfaction reigns. Mr Weber's personal goal is to maintain a happy work environment so each of us is happy to work for the Packard Empire. Where else can that attitude be found? So, absolutely not. Neither one of us will give up this job for any reason."

Jeni nods her agreement saying, "I would say the same Ms Miner."

MDSW
MDSW
520 Followers