Schools and the Second Ch. 04

Story Info
Conclusion; a joyful family reunion; questions and answers.
8.3k words
4.81
8.3k
5

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/21/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 19 - Underground

*ZZZZZZT!*

"Arrrgh!" the perp grunted as the TASER delivered its charge to his back, courtesy of the Iron Wolf, Teresa Croyle. As he collapsed, I quickly moved to stuff a cloth into his mouth. Then Laura injected him with a drug that put him to sleep immediately.

"We'll take him to the subterranean rooms." Laura said as Dr. Cordell came in to check on Molly.

University Hospital is between an "H" and an "I" in shape. The middle part/crossbar goes NNW to SSW, with the wings going forward and backward on the side in an ENE-WSW direction. The Hospice wing is the back wing on the southeastern end, and closest to the mountain finger behind the Hospital, whereupon The Cabin in perched.

Nurses did not take particular notice of Dr. Laura Fredricson walking down the hallway, though the two orderlies in scrubs, paper OR hats, and driving an unconscious man on a gurney should've been observed. We followed Laura down the Hospice wing to nearly the end. She pulled back what looked like a wall panel, to reveal an elevator. She inserted a key in a lock to activate it, and we took the 'patient' aboard.

Once inside, Laura put the key into the lock on the panel, and turned it clockwise 90 degrees. The elevator began moving... down. I estimated we went three or four floors worth of distance. When the elevator opened, we saw a hallway rather crudely built into the bedrock. Getting out, the only direction to go was to our left, which would be roughly ENE... into the mountain itself!

Laura led us down the long hallway, which was eerily lit by a string of LED lights. Finally, she directed us to bring our prisoner into what looked like an operating room.

"I've got to get back upstairs to close the wall panel." said Laura, handing me a key on a lanyard, a duplicate of the one she'd used. "This guy should wake up in about ten minutes. Don't kill him; when you bring him back up, there will be two CIA Officers that will want to speak with him more extensively." She took a blood sample from the guy, telling us she was hoping to find what he was amped up with.

After Laura left the room, I put the key around my neck. "I'm sure there's a second way out of here," I said, "but I don't want to have to search for it. Okay, let's check for cyanide."

I put on latex gloves, then forced open the perp's mouth, and shined a light inside. "Yep." I said, reaching inside and extracting a glass capsule. Then I looked again. "Oh my, I don't recommend his dentist." I got some tweezers and extracted another capsule covering a back tooth, held in place by a play-dough-'ish' substance.

"Like the Consultant of Crime's standing army of mercenaries." Teresa said.

"But worse." I said as I injected a yellowish liquid into the perp's shoulder. "I'm thinking this bozo was brainwashed, for lack of a better term, to commit suicide if captured. That's why we TASERed him and I put that cloth into his mouth so quickly; he had no chance to stop it..."

"How did you know he was going to attack Molly tonight?" asked Teresa...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Earlier...

After Edward Steele left and Selena went to bed, Laura and I sat up and talked about our respective days as we watched the SNN broadcast of their continuing, non-stop blast reporting of the NCHS shooting incident.

"You must be exhausted." Laura said. "Ready to go to bed?"

"I'm too keyed up." I said. "Something's not right."

"Getting a Carole vibe?" Laura asked, and I did not fail to detect a bit of acidity.

"As a matter of fact, I am." I said. "And it looks like I'm not alone." I heard the soft padding of footsteps in the hallway above, then coming down the stairs. The redoubtable Bowser was accompanying his five-year-old owner.

"Carole, what are you doing up?" Laura asked.

"Daddy," Carole said as she came up to me, almost whispering, "something's wrong. Somebody wants to hurt Aunt Molly."

"Did you dream this?" I asked.

"Maybe." Carole said. "But something is wrong."

"I agree." I said. "Okay, you get back upstairs to bed. I'll go to the Hospital and check it out?"

"I'll come with you." Laura said.

"You believe me, Mommy?" Carole asked, her voice connoting shocked surprise.

"Of course I believe you, honey." Laura said. "Come on, I'll take you back to bed while Daddy puts on his uniform." That really meant me putting on my armor and weapons. I also called Teresa and asked her to meet us at the Hospital's Emergency Room entrance, where Police vehicles could park.

As we drove to the Hospital, I said "So you believed Carole, eh?"

Laura replied "You think something is wrong, too. And saying that to her helped healed the wound from the other night..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back in real time: Teresa was looking around. "What is this place?" she asked.

"Did you keep a good sense of direction about where we were going?" I asked.

"I tried." Teresa said. "The hallway seemed straight, so that means we're under the mountain itself."

"Yes, we are." I said, then sat down next to her as we waited for the perp to wake up. I continued: "They built the north wing on the Hospital years ago, and it was shaped like a 'T'. Then they decided to put in the Hospice wing, and more long-term care rooms, so they built the south wing. When they built the wing, they burrowed a tunnel into the mountain, then hollowed out this place. This is an OR, and there's another one on the other side of the hall, and further down the hall are some large rooms to hold patients."

"So they built it in case of nuclear war?" Teresa asked. "That would've been good to know a few weeks ago, when you were handcuffed to that nuke."

"It's actually more recent than the Cold War preparations made decades ago." I said. "It was created to withstand a direct nuclear hit, which the University would've received in those days. But there's not that much space down here. This room was created by the Federal Government, as a place the President or other important persons could be brought, and even secretly operated on if need be. Now the President would be aboard Air Force One and would have it's excellent operating room on the plane, so it's more likely this would be used for others... like that Deputy A.G. that's visiting now."

"How long have you known about this?" Teresa asked.

"Officially, about fifteen minutes, just like you." I said with a grin. "In reality, a couple of years. Sheriff Griswold... then retired Chief Griswold... told me about it when the Swamp Frogs were starting up trouble. He was worried that they might capture one of us and subject us to what I was subjected to by Casey B. Walker in the City." (Author's note: 'Dream Weaver'.) "If something like that happened, this would be a place to look for the kidnapping victim. Laura's always known, of course."

"Speaking of that," Laura said, "there's something I wanted to ask you about---"

"Oh, look." I said, interrupting her. "Our patient is coming to. Make sure you keep your mask on over your face, since we can't kill him."

I got up and went over to the perp. I slapped his cheeks a couple of times, saying "Wake up, bonehead!"

"Wha, where am I?" he groggily asked.

"In Hell." I said. He woke fully up, and saw that his wrists were handcuffed to the gurney.

"Who are you?" the guy asked.

"Your worst nightmare." Teresa said, having come up on the perps other side. "I almost feel sorry for what's about to happen to you."

I saw the guy moving his tongue around in his mouth. "Looking for these?" I asked, holding up the bagged cyanide capsules. "Sorry guy, you'll die the way I decide... and only after you've told me everything I want to know."

"I want a lawyer!" the guy tried.

"I'm sure you do." I said. "But this is not a Courtroom. Nobody knows where you are. Tell me what I want to know, and we'll take you to the Police... alive. Don't tell me, and we'll leave you down here... to starve to death... well, you'll die of dehydration without water first. And from what I hear, that's an awful, slow, painful way to go."

"You might as well kill me." said the perp. "I'm not telling you anything."

"Okay, then." I said. I looked up at Teresa and said "Let's go." We left the room, ignoring the shrieks of the perp begging us to come back.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We explored the cavern, seeing the four large rooms that could handle about fifty casualties each. I found where the foodstuffs were stored, seeing them to be military MREs; there were facilities to clean and sterilize medical implements, but no kitchen for food preparation. "The MRE's are just one year old, too." I said. "They're maintaining this place pretty well."

"I wouldn't expect a lot of dust to accumulate," Teresa said, "but it's been cleaned recently. Maybe they came down and prepped it during the EMPTY QUIVER event?"

"That's Iron Wolf thinking, there." I said. "But it's obvious they've been maintaining this place for some time. It's a perfect place; under the mountain, protected from a nuclear attack; under a Hospital, with doctors on location and ready; near transportation of every kind, but generally in a place nobody would suspect."

"I wonder how many other places there are like this?" Teresa mused.

"More than people realize, I'm sure." I said. "I am curious why they chose here, this Town & County."

"A lot of students at the University," said Teresa, "just ready to become young agitators for the Socialist movement. A lot of secret programs at the University, as well as places like BigPharmaCorp. BigAgraFoods was here for a long time. Why not here?"

"Someone has become a very astute analyst of the local political situation." I said.

"Someone needs to be aware of the threats," Teresa replied, "in order to have your back, Mr. Iron Crowbar."

"And I'm grateful." I said sincerely. "Okay, let's see if our boy is ready to talk..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

He was ready. The yellowish drug I had injected him with was a mild amphetamine to wake him up, and it contained a fear-inducing agent. This guy had been lying here with his own thoughts, realizing the implications of being left alone here to die.

"Ah," I said, coming in, "I think he's ready to cooperate." To the perp, I said "Wow, all alone just for a few minutes, not knowing if we'd come back or not. And next time, bonehead, I won't come back. So... why were you trying to kill that patient in the Hospital, hmm?"

"I was hired to." said the perp.

"By whom?" I asked nicely.

"I don't know." he said. Seeing my eyes get angry, he said "No, really! I don't know!"

"So people just know your phone number and what to hire you for out of the blue?" I growled. "You really want me to believe that?"

"Look, I'm an ex-con." said the perp. "Yeah, I get called by people who know people, and I do jobs for them. I'm usually a drug mule, but---"

"You're lying!" I all but yelled. "Stop treating me like I'm stupid!"

"I swear to God, I'm not lying!" said the perp, about to cry.

"So why were you trying to use the cyanide tablet in your mouth?" I asked harshly.

"Because I---" he started, then stopped, as if he couldn't remember something. "Wait... what tablet?"

"Were you in the military?" asked Teresa.

"Yeah." said the perp.

"Army? Navy?" Teresa asked, and I knew where she was going.

"Army. 75th Rangers." said the perp.

"Nice try." I said. "Were you a Green Beret or a Navy SEAL?"

"Uh..." said the perp, whose eyes glazed again. "I... I... Army... 75th Rangers..."

I had an insight. I said "Why did Trent Ridge and Quint Starr want you to kill that patient in ICU?"

"Trent said..." started the perp, then he glazed over again. "I... I... I don't know any Trent Ridge or Quint Starr..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We pushed the gurney carrying the perp down the hallway to the elevator. I used the key to call for the elevator car, and heard the motors whirring as it descended. Then we got in the elevator and I used the key to get us back topside. When the doors opened, Laura was there waiting, with two young men in suits and ties.

"Take him out the back door." Laura said, referring to the nearby fire door at the end of the hallway. The two men took the perp out that door, and I knew it was more than likely I'd never see him again.

"What did you find out?" Laura asked as we went into an empty room, and Teresa and I took off the scrubs over our clothes.

"He's been very effectively brainwashed." I said. "I'd ask him something, and it'd come to him but then he couldn't keep remembering it. The big thing was when we asked about Trent and Quint. He remembered Trent, just for a second, until the brainwashing kicked in."

"He had some programmed answers, too." Teresa noted. "We asked if he was in the military, and he said '75th Rangers' over and over. It was like a feedback loop."

"And I'd say whoever worked him over probably programmed Adam Nikolas Eagan." I said. Laura nodded vigorously in agreement.

"But why try to kill Molly?" Laura asked.

"I have a hunch," I said, "that she would've been reported to have died of her wounds at the school, and the chants of gun confiscation would've grown louder. Just one student dead has not moved the needle for the anti-gun-rights people; they needed something more."

"Geez..." Teresa muttered, shaking her head in disbelief at the lengths the Enemy would go to...

Part 20 - The Final Goodbye

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette from a position that had Nextdoor County High School in the background, at 7:00am, Thursday, May 9th. "Channel Two News has learned that student groups are demanding a meeting with deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared to discuss sensible gun control measures!"

Bettina began: "The student groups, led by spokesperson Darryl Smogg, met with the U.S. Deputy Attorney General last night. The Deputy Attorney General agreed with the students's call for gun control legislation, and encouraged the students to keep taking action in the form of protests and demands, to get what they want."

Bettina: "Governor Jared has said he has not decided on whether or not to convene the State Legislature in Special Session, saying that he wants to hear proposals by the State Senate and State House. He also states that he wants to wait until after Tom Usagi's funeral, to allow emotions to cool down and rhetoric by what he called 'hi-strung' people to reach a more civil level. Democrats blasted the Governor. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Maxine Watts yelling "And this mentally ill Governor is doing nothing, nothing!, to protect our children and Police Officers from murderous guns!"

State House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Elijah McKinney said "Every minute the Governor delays in calling a Special Session to outlaw 'assault rifles' is another minute our children and Police are in danger!"

Back to Bettina live: "I have with me State Senator Katherine Woodburn of the 1st District." The camera panned out to show Katherine Woodburn, wearing a tasteful black dress. "Senator, what do you think of Governor Jared's lack of action?"

"It's inexcusable, Bettina." Katherine said. "Assault rifles are killing schoolchildren, and they're also killing Police Officers. Nextdoor County Police Chief Molly Evans is still in critical condition at University Hospital, and she could still die. For Governor Jared to do nothing to protect our State's Citizens from dangerous 'assault rifles' is a betrayal that in itself justifies Jared's impeachment and removal from office..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At the morning coffee klatch in the Chief's Conference Room was Sheriff Griswold, Your Iron Crowbar, Captain Croyle, Captain Perlman, FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone (who brought doughnuts; smart man!)... and Lieutenant Colonel (Ret.) Sean Moynahan, dressed in his Army blue uniform.

"The family moved the time of the funeral up to 10:00am." said Chief Moynahan. "They've also requested a private service, followed by interment with full military honors. Everyone in Nextdoor County and our County that is entitled to wear a military uniform, such as myself as a retiree, and Detective Warner as an Army Reservist, has been invited to the graveside ceremony. Commander Troy, Commander Ross, and Captain Croyle were also specifically invited to attend, along with Captain Price and the NCPD."

"And we will be there." I said.

"Anyone care to explain to me," asked Jack Muscone, "why Katherine Woodburn and others aren't just talking about 'the children', but now it's 'the children and the Police'?"

"I thought Molly was getting better." said Tanya. "Why are they suddenly talking about her as if she's going to die?---- Oh shit, they may attack her! Teresa, we've got to get some protection around her!"

"Already taken care of." Teresa said. "I've got four SWAT Team people guarding ICU, two outside the hallway entrance, two inside in front of the 'clean room' entrance."

"Yezzz, I talked to them last night." said Chief Moynahan. "Had a good chat with Daniel Patrick and Robert Kalsu of the SWAT team. Impressive young men."

"Yes sir." said Teresa. "We're monitoring both of them for leadership opportunities, especially if we put Lt. Hewitt in a Precinct Captain position.

"Say whaa?" growled the Sheriff.

I said "Yes, Sheriff, we are strongly considering Hewitt for Precinct Lieutenant or even Precinct Captain."

"Even after..." the Sheriff said, then stopped. He did not want to mention any incidents involving Angela Harlan, the Black Widow, who had murdered Tanya Perlman's fiancé Pete Feeley and almost murdered Hugh Hewitt after he failed to follow orders. (Author's note: 'Case of the Black Widow'.)

Seeing that I was being Teresa's firewall, the Sheriff just muttered "We'll talk later, Crowbar."

"So you're anticipating an attack on Molly?" Tanya asked, a bit loudly. I could see there was a reason she was my Captain of Detectives.

"Anticipating? No." I said. "Erring on the side of massive caution? Yes."

"It's not 'anticipating' if it's already happened, is it?" asked Jack.

"An excellent observation of the proper use of the English language, Mr. Muscone." I said, then innocently sipped my coffee.

"Spill it, Iron Crowbar." Tanya said, not really worrying about the insubordination of the words.

"Someone tried to get into ICU last night." I said. "We stopped him well in advance. He's in Federal custody now, but don't ask me where because I have no idea."

"What can I bribe you with to get the details of this?" asked Muscone. "Lunch at the Cop Bar?"

"NOW you're talking!" I said mischievously. "But it'll have to wait until after the funeral today."

"So you're saying that they expected Molly to be dead this morning?" Tanya asked, aghast at the full implications of that.

"And modeled their talking points upon it." I replied. What I was more than implying was hitting everyone, and their shock was the same as Teresa's the night before...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The interment was a moving last tribute to Tom Usagi. A Buddhist priest and Chaplain Alberto Romano, wearing his formal Police uniform, presided over it, with Chaplain Romano using the term 'Infinite', which was acceptable to both Faiths.