Searching for Amarillo Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The leader announced that a full moon was rising, and that the house lights would be dimmed during the finale. He said ancient people did not have electric lights, and instead worshipped the power of the full moon. To honor them, the finale would be played under moonlight, as nature intended.

As the house lights were dimmed, the amphitheater was bathed in a silver-blue light. The dim lighting enhanced and brightened the colors of the ice instruments. The final song was called 'Moonlight in Norway'. The finale began with a montage of highlights from earlier songs, and then the new song in tribute to the moon.

When the music ended, the leader thanked everyone for coming, and hoped they would return again next year. He said the entire amphitheater and all of the instruments will now be allowed to melt and return to the Earth. I was sad that it was over, but what better way could it have ended? Then, somehow, it got better.

The blonde singer spoke, "Attention everyone. An Old Norse wedding tradition is a torchlight procession back to the newlywed's bed. If anyone wants to join in, grab a glass of Aquavit outside the amphitheater, and pick up one of the torches outside. Then follow the bride and groom back to the Dansende Fe Hotel!"

As the audience made their way out, Texas and I went up to the guitar player and thanked him for the opportunity. He congratulated us on our engagement, asked us to wait for a moment, then went over to the hanging chimes and removed one. He handed it to me and told me it was made from a piece of glacial ice, thousands of years old. I thanked him, removed my scarf, and wrapped the ice within it.

**********

Chapter 2-14 - Aquavit

**********

We stepped outside the amphitheater and found several people holding trays of Aquavit. Texas and I both picked up a glass, and he downed his quickly.

"No Texas, we do not drink Aquavit that way in Norway. We look into the eyes of our partner, take a small sip, and say skål. We always maintain eye contact with each other. Let's try it together."

Texas picked up another glass and did as I asked, then said, "I can taste a hint of caraway, almost like rye bread in spirit form, mixed with some vanilla and cumin. I use cumin when I make my Texas Red Chili. This is pretty good stuff."

We each took another sip and then joined the procession as everyone walked back to town in the moonlight. As the bride and groom entered the hotel, Texas and I met up with Eyja and her husband.

Eyja asked, "Well, when are you two tying the knot?"

I looked at Texas and said, "How about tonight?"

He looked at me skeptically, and said, "I doubt we can find a minister or get all the paperwork done tonight."

Eyja said, "Huldras are ancient woodland creatures, and we follow the laws and traditions of the old Norse. I can perform a handfast ceremony right here if you want."

Texas said, "That would be fine with me."

"I know a better place," I replied.

**********

Chapter 2-15 - The Handfast

**********

The four of us walked over to the small park and I visited again with the Tuntre. I looked at the leaf I had made earlier, and it was still green.

The Tuntre spoke silently to me, "Two Huldras! To what do I owe this honor?"

I replied silently, "I am going to marry this man, and I could not think of any place better than to be wed under your limbs."

Eyja spoke, "I will say everything three times. Once in Old Norse, once in modern Norwegian, and once in English."

Eyja looked at me and asked, "Would you mind if I used your scarf?"

I unwrapped the glacial ice and set it down, then handed her my scarf. Texas and I turned to face each other, and we joined hands, right to left and left to right, creating an infinity symbol if viewed from above. She picked up the scarf and began slowly wrapping it around our hands.

"This cloth is a symbol of your love and commitment, and the bond between you. As your hands are bound together, so shall your lives be bound as one. May you forever be one, sharing all things, for all time to come. These hands will build your future together. These hands will comfort you. These hands will wipe the tears of sorrow and joy from your eyes. These hands will give you strength and support for you to pursue your dreams. Do you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever?"

Texas said, "I do."

I replied, "I do."

Eyja continued, "If you look closely at this scarf, you will see that it is not a single color, but has small flecks of many colors. It has the binding of blue to symbolize water. The binding of green to symbolize the earth. The binding of red to symbolize fire. The binding of yellow to symbolize air. But the largest color is white, to symbolize the purity and unity of your bond."

"You may now remove your hands from the knot. Would you like to exchange rings?"

I looked at Texas, and he was as puzzled, as I. I did not have any ring to give him, and I doubted he had brought one for me.

Texas looked down at his left hand and removed a pinky ring. "I had this ring made from the belt buckle I won on my first bull ride. It means the world to me. But not as much as you do, Amarillo. I want you to have it. This ring represents a starting point in my life, but today my life has become a circle, without beginning or end. Take this ring as a symbol of my love for you."

He slipped the ring onto my finger, and it fit perfectly. I looked down at the musical chime made from glacial ice and had an idea. I summoned energy from nature and broke off a piece, then wrapped my hands around it. I felt heat within my hands, then cold, as nature melted away some of the ice, like a sculptor. I opened my hands and revealed a clear ring made of ice. I slipped it onto Texas' finger.

"I take you, Texas, as my husband. I pledge to you my heart until our lives are completed. Accept this ring from me. It is a symbol of my love for you, crafted from ancient glacial ice, and like my love for you, it has never melted and never will."

Eyja announced, "I pronounce you husband and wife, by the ancient laws given to us by the Norse gods. You may kiss the bride."

Texas and I kissed and I have never felt happier.

The Tuntre spoke silently, "Congratulations, Huldra."

I turned to face the tree, and replied aloud so all could hear, "I have news for you, Tuntre. I spoke with a man from the Norwegian Ministry today. The Ministry has purchased several farms on the outskirts of town, and will be planting new trees this spring, where the original forest once was."

The Tuntre replied silently, "That is good news, Huldra. But they will be young trees, and I am so old."

I replied, "The young trees will need the guidance of one with wisdom and experience to watch over them."

"Perhaps you are right, Huldra. I look forward to sensing the new trees, and helping them grow."

"I have other news, Tuntre. I asked the man from the Ministry if he could refresh your small park, with a new bench, a pedestrian crosswalk, and a sign to let people know what a Tuntre is."

"I am honored, Huldra, and thank you."

"We will be leaving you now, Tuntre. I will try to visit you again in the spring."

Texas and I spoke with Eyja and her husband, and we agreed to meet for breakfast. Since they had been through this before, they offered to help me get an official identity and a marriage certificate acceptable to the Norwegian government.

**********

CHAPTER 2-16 - Return to Dansende Fe

**********

Texas and I returned to our hotel. It was quite late, and we were both very tired. We removed our clothes and laid down on the bed.

Texas said, "Norway is such a beautiful country and I really do want to see more of it. The people here are so warm and friendly. But, Amarillo, I want to take you to Texas, and show you my home. Would you be willing to go?"

I replied, "Marriage is about putting the other person first and doing things together. So, yes, once we get the necessary paperwork, I will go with you to see Texas."

Texas smiled, "It would almost be like we are living between two countries."

"Yes," I replied, "We can spend the rest of our lives living in a tween place."

I reached over and turned off the light.

**********

Chapter 2-17 - One Week Later

**********

Texas and I returned to the cabin the day after the ice concert, and have been waiting for news on the identity papers that Eyja was getting for me.

Yesterday, I went into the oldest section of my forest, thanked the trees, and let them know that I would no longer be able to serve as a warden of the forest. It was a sad day for me, until the forest let me know that life would go on for both of us. There was no great ripple or disturbance within the energy forces of the forest, as this was a natural process of renewal.

To pass time in the evening, Texas played his guitar, and we sang songs together. Then, one night, we heard a noise outside the cabin. Texas went outside to investigate.

He called to me from outside the cabin, "Hey, Amarillo! There's a young blonde woman in a white dress dancing on our fence rails."

I knew immediately who this was, and rushed outside. Looking up at the dancing forest spirit, I waved my hands and yelled, "SHOOOO!"

The new Huldra looked down at me, swished her cow's tail, and jumped off the fence railings in a huff. I smiled as she ran off into the night, knowing that my forest would be well cared for.

THE END

**********

AUTHOR'S NOTES

**********

If you enjoyed this story, please consider voting or leaving a comment. Those two things are the food for a writer's imagination.

Ice Music festivals are real events, and can be found in Norway, Sweden, Colorado, and a few other places. Terje Isungset is a well-known ice musician in Norway, and Tim Linhart shares time between Sweden and Colorado. Some venues even build concert halls from large igloos with seating inside to help control the temperature. You can hear ice instruments and learn more about them on Youtube videos. The ice concert portrayed in this story is an amalgamation of many such concerts, is not intended to represent any single venue or person or event.

There is an interesting video on Youtube called "Cloudberries" by Ste van Holm. Sung in English, it shows a Huldra walking through the forest in the different seasons. One of the scenes has the Huldra breathing on a tree bud and turning it into a leaf, just like in my story.

This concludes the story of Amarillo and Texas. I have never been to Texas, and considered writing "A Huldra in Texas", but don't really have enough details to flesh out a full story about what Amarillo would encounter, so I will stop here. If you want to learn more about Huldras, just come to Norway and search for one!