Second Chance

Story Info
Fate sometimes can intervene for you.
7k words
4.44
11.6k
11
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Second Chance

© Copyright 2020. All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All characters depicted are 18 years and over.

I first met her when I was in the ninth grade. She was everything a boy could want in a girl. She was also everything I was not. Where I was shy, she was outgoing. Where she was cute as could be, I was average. She was a majorette, I was a nobody. I could go on, but you get the point. I had zero chances of making any impression on her at all. So I stood by and just tried to wait. For what, I did not know, but waiting was what I did back in those days.

She continued to be in my orbit all throughout high school. In the tenth grade she started going with an ROTC guy. I thought she could do better but what did I know? In any case I thought he was wrong for her, but I did not know her well enough to say anything. And it was not my place to butt in where I would be unwanted.

She dated the guy all through high school and I heard they got married soon after they graduated. That was where I lost track of her.

Her name was Ariel and by the time she graduated she was a real beauty. Her cuteness had transformed her into a beauty. She had shoulder length brunette hair that curled at the ends, a pug nose, a smile that could melt butter, good breasts, and nice legs. And I was in love, or at least in lust, for her. And she slipped away from me.

Many years passed before I met her again. I went to our high school reunions hoping to see her, but she never showed up to any of them. In the meantime, I went to college and met my wife. We were married halfway through college, mostly to escape our parents. But we made it last, and I was in love with her. She meant more to me than anyone I had ever met. After both of us graduated we had wonderful careers, both of us moving up in our chosen fields. We made the choice after graduation that we would not have children because we both wanted careers. During this time we had the chance to travel and we made trips to Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean, Hawaii, Alaska, Peru, and all over the US. We had a tremendous amount of fun.

Sadly, when we were both 45 she came down with intestinal cancer. When it was discovered it was advanced and operating to remove it was just out of the question. She lasted about six months before succumbing to the cancer.

She had enough life insurance that I could keep our house. But it was a big place and I soon knew I needed to downsize. I bought a smaller house with a nice fenced in yard and good sized trees on the lot. It fit me perfectly and after giving away most of my wife's clothes and other items it was able to contain all my stuff. It had a two car garage so I made one side into a small shop area where I kept all my yard tools. I kept myself busy after work planting gardens on the lot and keeping up with the yard.

Soon I realized that I needed to get back on the dating horse again before I forgot how. I missed talking to someone, the companionship, and a warm body in bed next to me. I checked out dating sites but nothing grabbed my attention. This was about the same time that a new web site came online for former high school students, so I decided to see if any of my old school friends were available. I browsed around the site and found that most of them had moved away. And then I found Ariel. She was a member of the site as well and it was possible to send her an email, although what was listed was not here true email address, it was a forwarding address sponsored by the web site. I decided to send her one anyway.

I typed up a short note explaining who I was and asked if she remembered me. Then I sent it off.

I waited, and then waited some more. After two weeks I decided that she was not going to answer me. So I brushed it off and made other plans. About a week later, I received a reply from her. Basically, she was flabbergasted. Of course she remembered me. Her note was filled with excitement and it brightened my mood tremendously. She explained that the email address that was on web site was an old one that she no longer used so she rarely checked it. She gave me a new email address and said she wanted to hear from me.

I read her note twice before I typed up my reply. I gave her some history, after all, it had been over twenty five years since I last saw her. It included information about college and my wife, now deceased. I added that I would like to get together with her if she was up for it.

I only waited two days for a reply. She had just lost her husband of ten years and was trying to put her life back together just like me. She had been married three times, the first two were a disaster, the only thing good about them was her daughter from the second marriage. But the third marriage was wonderful and full of love and good times. He died in a car crash involving a drunk driver. He was on his way home from work when it happened. She was devastated. Lastly, she did want to get together. She asked me to suggest something. We were within easy driving distance, so that was not a problem.

I wrote back sympathizing with her plight. I suggested that we meet at a restaurant for dinner on a Friday night. I picked something that had a wide variety of choices, not too expensive, and in between the two of us.

She replied that was fine and she was looking forward to seeing me again.

So the time and place were set up. Now I just had to wait a few days until I could see her again.

When Friday night came I went to the restaurant and decided to wait in the lobby for her. When she walked in the door, I was not sure if it was Ariel or not. She had to be two inches taller than what I remembered. But she remembered me. Her smile told me that.

"Tom! Oh my God, it is so good to see you again!"

"Hello, Ariel."

And then she came up to me and hugged me. I had never been that close to her before. She was a good armful. She broke the hug and stood back.

She said, "Let me look at you. Why, you have hardly changed at all."

"You have changed a little. I don't remember you being this tall."

"I always was a little short. And then after I graduated I suddenly had a growth spurt. I grew almost two inches in six months. It surprised even me. I had to buy all new clothes."

"It looks good on you."

"Thanks. I want to know all about you, but let's get seated first."

We let the waitress seat us at a table for two. She gave us menus and left while we made our choices.

"I was sorry to hear about your husband."

"Yeah, it just happened out of the blue. And I feel bad for you. That must have been an awful experience."

"Yeah, I guess we both share the same feelings about our tragedies. But I am trying to move on."

"So where do you work, Tom?"

"I work for a software company that does systems for electrical providers. It's challenging work."

"Do you travel much?"

"I used to, but I kind of put that behind me after my wife's death. My employer understood completely and was very accommodating. What about you? What do you do?"

"I work for a small wireless company that will probably be bought out one of these days by a larger company. We are just not growing fast enough."

The waitress came back and took our order. When she left we continued to catch each other up. She talked about her three marriages and her daughter, who was in college now.

"So where do you live, Tom?"

"I have a little house about two miles from here. I sold the house my wife and I bought because it was big and held too many memories for me."

"I know what you mean. I sold our house and moved into an apartment for the same reasons."

"So how are you holding up?"

She sighed. "About like what you would expect. I am getting along, but it is lonely. At least I have my job to keep me busy during the day. It's the nights that get to me. But your email cheered me up when I got it."

"Same here. I try to stay busy around the house at night, but there is only so much to take up your time."

Eventually the waitress returned with our order. Neither of us was eating very heavy. She had a salad and some chicken with vegetables. I had a small steak with vegetables.

We continued talking through our meal. I was enjoying her company immensely.

As we were finishing our meal, Ariel asked me a surprising question.

"Tom, why didn't you ask me out in high school?"

"Well, I was pretty shy in those days. Besides, you were already going with Mr. ROTC."

She blushed at that. "You should have asked me anyway. The answer might have surprised you."

"Well I figured it was not my place to butt in. It's not like we had anything but a casual relationship."

"True, but you were always more polite than you needed to be. It's the one thing I remember most about you."

We continued to talk. She was easy to talk to and I was surprised at how easy it was. I guess I had changed since high school.

When it came time to pay the bill she wanted to split it, but I put her off. I told her it was my treat since I had contacted her first. She insisted that she would pay next time. And that was a surprise, she wanted to do this again!

So I paid the bill and we went to the parking lot.

"My car is over there."

She said, "Mine is that way. Would you mind if we did this again?"

"That would be really nice. When do you want to get together, again?"

"What about next Friday here at the same time?"

"That's fine with me. I will look forward to it."

"Me, too. So until then."

Then she leaned forward and kissed me on the cheek. I just stood there like a statue while she walked back to here car. I watched her get in and then went to my car.

**********

That started a pattern of seeing Ariel every Friday night. We always met at the same restaurant at the same time. Each meeting was better than the last. We got more and more comfortable with each other as time went on and I looked forward to each Friday night.

About five weeks into out meetings I had a Friday night that I could not make it. I had to be downtown that day and was taken out to dinner by the client. I phoned Ariel and let her know about the conflict and asked her if she want to do a Saturday lunch this time. She said yes and we made arrangements to meet at a different restaurant at noon.

I got up early the Saturday morning and mowed and edged the lawn. Then I did some touch up pruning to a few of the bushes. Then I gave everything a good drink of water.

After I was done I went inside and showered and shaved. I put on some nice casual clothes and when the time was right I left for the restaurant. We had picked a more casual place for lunch that served burgers and fries. Ariel arrived right after I did and we went in. The waiter seated us an gave us menus.

"So how was your dinner last night?"

"It was good. We went to a nice Italian place and the food was actually pretty good."

"What have you been doing this week?"

I had planted a new garden in the back yard and put in some flowers and a creeping vine on a trellis. I gave her the details and she truly seemed interested.

"That sounds really nice. I would like to see that some time."

"How about today? I have nothing happening this afternoon. You could follow me home and have a look."

She smiled and said, "I would like that."

We talked more throughout out meal. When we finished up we proceeded to our cars and she followed me home. When we got there I pulled into the garage and she pulled in to the driveway behind me. We both got out and she looked around.

"Well I am impressed. You did all this yourself?"

"All except the shrubs over there. The rest I have done over the last two months."

"I love the flowers along the walkway. Everything is so green and bright."

"Come on inside and I will show you around."

I opened the front door to let her in.

"Wow, this is pretty nice."

"This way to the back yard." I led her through the kitchen and out the back sliding glass door.

"Oh my God, look at this! It's fabulous."

I had planted three row gardens with a grass path between them. Each row contained different kinds of flowers and plants.

Ariel went up and down each row asking what each plant was. Some were obvious like the roses, but others were not. There were lots of native plants from around the area that bloomed at different times of the year, and some that bloomed all summer long. There were Salvia, flowering bushes, just a wide variety of plants and flowers. She was excited by all of them.

"You did all this just since you moved in?"

"Yeah, it gave me something to occupy my time on the weekends and evenings. It has been a lot of fun and work, but I have enjoyed every minute."

"Well the result is fantastic. You really have a green thumb."

"Not really. I'm what you call a 'ruthless' gardener. If it curls up its nose at me I pull it out and try something different."

She smiled at me. "That sounds just like you. Your patience always had a limit. But in this case it got wonderful results."

"Want to go back in and get something to drink?"

"Yeah."

We went back into the kitchen and I got a pitcher of iced tea out of the fridge. Then I got two glasses out of the cabinet, filled them with ice, and then filled them with the tea. After returning the pitcher to the fridge I handed Ariel one of the glasses.

"Mumm, that's good." she said. "Will you show me the rest of the house?"

"Sure. Follow me."

I showed her the living room, the master bedroom and the three bedrooms. When we got to the third bedroom she was overwhelmed by all the book shelves and books against two walls.

"Oh my God! Look at all these books! Did you read all these?"

"Maybe about a third. The rest were my wife's collection. She was a voracious reader. I got rid of a lot of her stuff but I could not bring myself to part with her books."

Ariel moved closer to the book shelves and began to peruse the books. She seemed really fascinated.

"She sure had an eclectic taste. I see all different kinds of topics."

"Yes, she did. She liked murder mysteries most of all, but she just read anything that struck her fancy. I was a big science fiction reader, plus I like spy novels as well."

"I could spend all afternoon in here. It's like being in a public library."

"So you like to read as well?"

"Oh yes. Although my appetite is not as large as your wife's. I've never read any science fiction. What is it that you like about it?"

I thought for a moment. "Good science fiction tackles some of the biggest questions that we as a human race have ever asked. A good author can wrap a very good story around one or more of those questions. Humans sometimes do not like to discuss the hard questions because they usually have no good answers and that's uncomfortable."

"Yeah. I can see that. Wrapping it in fiction would make it easier to tackle hard questions."

There was a love seat in the library and I sat down on it.

"Feel free to borrow some books if you want."

"Thanks, I might take you up on that."

She turned around and noticed I had sat down, so she came and sat beside me.

"I like this room. Books make me happy."

"I'm glad you like it. There is a kind of feeling that books evoke that I like. And my wife's books are a good memory."

We sat there for a moment without speaking. Having her so close was a nice feeling.

"Tom, what made you get in touch with me? Don't get me wrong, I am very glad you did, but I am just curious."

That was completely unexpected. I had to think before I could answer.

"To be truthful, I always had a thing for you in high school. So when I was looking through web site and I saw you, I just had to get back in touch with you."

"Now I guess it's my turn to be truthful. I always hoped you would ask me out, but you never did. And then I got involved and you got pushed to the back burner. I'm sorry."

"Don't say that. It was my fault that I was not brave enough to ask you out. I'm just glad that I found you again. It sort of gives me a second chance with you."

"Are you really hoping for a second chance with me?"

"Absolutely. I try to never make the same mistake twice."

She took my free hand in her's and held it.

"Good. Maybe we can make a new beginning for both of us."

"I would like that more than you know. These last few weeks made me realize that I have missed you. I know that sounds weird after twenty years, but I have missed you."

"Thanks. I realized that having you back in my life has been really good for me. I have felt so much better these last weeks, you have really lifted my spirits."

I put my free hand on top of her's. "I'm glad. I have looked forward to all of our meetings. It has been the bright spot in the week for me."

We looked into each others eyes and smiled. Her's was the same smile that I loved from so many years ago. It filled me with happiness because it was now directed at me. And then she leaned into me with her head on my shoulder. I put my arm around her and held her lightly. She felt so good next to me.

She said, "I am so glad that you are in my life at this time. You feel so good to me and you have not changed from all those years ago. You are still kind and gentle, just what I need."

"And you are warm and open to me. You are what I need right now."

We sat like that for a few moments, almost afraid to break the embrace. We were at a crossroads, and we both would have to make a decision when the time came. And that was very soon.

Ariel was the one who made the decision first. She turned slightly and laid back on my legs with her face turned up towards mine. I knew what she wanted so I leaned down and kissed her. Her lips were warm and inviting, opening slightly so that our tongues could meet for the first time. Her hand came up and held my head pulling me into her, maintaining the kiss for as long as she could. It was pure delight.

When we broke the kiss she said, "Wow, I have been wanting to do that for a while now. It was worth the wait."

"I'm glad you liked it."

I leaned back down and kissed her again. This time there was passion in the kiss, as well as a little bit of need in it. I was having a little trouble figuring out what I should do with my hands. I wanted to touch her but I was a little reluctant. She settled that internal debate by taking my hand and placing it on her breast. When I squeezed it a little she moaned into my mouth.

Her breast, although covered by shirt and bra, were full and ripe. Her nipple was responding to my touch and becoming erect. Soon it was hard and pressing into my palm even through the bra and shirt.

We finally broke the second kiss and looked into each others eyes.

"I've needed this. I'm glad it's with you. But I need more. Will you make love to me? Please?"

"You have no idea how much I want you. So of course, I will be happy to make love to you."

She sat up and moved to sit in my lap facing me. She put her arms around my neck and leaned in so that we touched forehead to forehead. I put my hand around her. We sat like that, silent, for a few minutes, not sure how to proceed. She finally leaned back and slowly began to unbutton her blouse. I watched in fascination as her breasts began to appear. Her bra was barely able to contain the mounds of flesh beneath them.

When she finished unbuttoning her blouse she removed it and tossed it to the side. Then she reached behind her and unfastened her bra.

"You can take it off if you want."

I reached up to her shoulders and took the bra straps and slowly moved them down her arms revealing the most beautiful breasts I have ever seen. Even with in mid-life they were firm and her nipples just slightly upturned. They were quite large but not pendulous. I tossed the bra over to her blouse on the floor.

"Do you like?"

"Oh my God, yes! They are beautiful. You are beautiful."

12