Second Chances

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rosie's parents were different. Her Dad had done a bunk, reported to have gone abroad. Did I want them to try tracing him abroad, it could get quite expensive! Her Mum was a registered alcoholic, living in Portsmouth, had turned to prostitution to earn money for the booze. He had spoken to her, but turned down her offer of 'a good time'. She was in no way going to be classed as a 'Fit Mother', and be able to take Rosie back. He thought for a reasonably small amount of cash she would be willing to waive her rights to Rosie. Although we wanted Rosie badly, I wasn't going to buy her like that. The money would just go on more alcohol and she would probably just drink herself to death. I asked him to speak to a couple of the local shops to see if I could pay for food and essentials for her, absolutely no alcohol though. He came back to me to say one local shopkeeper was willing to do it. I told him to provisionally arrange it - I would lodge a lump sum with the shop, and top up when it was running low. We would work out a total once all the arrangements had been made.

Rosie's Mum, when told of the arrangement in exchange for waiting any future rights to her child, swore she would get her back. My detective told her in no uncertain terms how unlikely it was, having worked cases like this before. She then demanded a stupid amount of money. He told her that going through the courts we could have Rosie made a ward of court then we could adopt her legally. By her agreeing to the adoption it would speed things up and get Rosie a safe and secure home, and she would never want for anything. Finally she agreed. I agreed to pay her utility bills for 2 years, and her food bills for the same amount of time. I'm sure she would still buy drink with the money she got turning tricks, but I couldn't stop that! She did say as a parting shot, I was told, that she was going to have another baby to replace Rosie. God help that child if it ever came to pass. Born into squalor with, most likely, Foetal Alcohol Syndrome. I shuddered at the thought.

Chapter 10

The following week was Ruth's 30th. It would also have been her 9th wedding anniversary. Emma took Rosie out shopping to get presents for 'Mummy', wouldn't tell me what they'd got. "A girl's got to have some secrets," she said with a giggle when I asked.

Thursday arrived and Ruth got cards from the girls before they went off to school and college. Ruth was at church midmorning to help with the Thursday lunch, as usual. I had tipped off Father Dave, and they embarrassed Ruth by singing 'Happy Birthday' to her. She got several small gifts from the other ladies helping with lunch. Ruth had become popular in the church. She wasn't that demonstrative, just quietly got on with things that needed to be done. Ruth picked up Rosie while I collected Emma from college, then we all assembled back home. I'd arranged for us to go out for dinner, all four of us, so booked a slightly earlier time than usual so we weren't back too late for Rosie. The girls proudly gave Ruth their presents. Rosie gave her some cosmetics and a new dress - Emma had developed a very good sense of fashion, and knew Ruth's size. Emma gave her a day at a local Spa, and suggested she use it the week after next, before the wedding, to have a great day's pampering. It was time for me - I had found an antique pearl choker with a ruby inset at the front, perfect as ruby was Ruth's birth stone. Tears ran down that beautiful face as I fixed it round her neck. "It's too much, too expensive" she whispered through the tears.

I lifted her hair and kissed the back of her neck. "No it's not. It suits you and enhances your beauty" I whispered back. "Nothing is too much for the lady I love". As I said it I realised it was the first time I had declared love for Ruth, it came out instinctively. And what's more I meant it. I whispered again, "I meant it Ruth, I believe I do love you."

She whirled into my arms and crushed me to her, dug her head into my shoulder and cried. After a couple of minutes I gently disentangled her and kissed her, not just a peck, longer and more sensuous, though not full blown tonsil tennis - we were both aware of the girls still in the room.

"I don't want you to cry again but I do have a couple of more presents for you, and I suspect they will make you even more emotional. Come with me a minute girls and help me. Ruth, just sit down and wait please."

I had hidden the canvas prints upstairs. I very briefly explained to Rosie that these were pictures for Mummy of her and her baby that died, and Mummy would probably cry, but cry because she was happy to have the pictures. Well we did cry, all four of us. Ruth wept with happiness and sadness, the girls cried because Ruth cried, and I cried in empathy with them all. It WAS all very emotional.

That night, after the girls went to bed, Ruth came and sat on my knee. We cuddled and talked. I explained how I had come by the photos, told her about the others on disc. We decided to hang the one of Ruth and Becca in the lounge and the one of Becca by herself in the bedroom. She asked if it could go in my bedroom, as after the wedding in 9 days it would be our bedroom. I liked the sound of that, our bedroom.

We kissed, exploring each other's mouths. Ruth tasted sweet, her tongue shy at first then became more demanding. I explored her breasts, through her clothing. She had worn her new dress from Rosie, and it didn't lend itself to slipping a hand inside!

We never heard Emma come downstairs for a drink of water until she stuck her head through the door and said "Teenagers!" With a giggle she was gone again. Fortunately the position of the chair prevented her seeing anything more than Ruth sitting on my lap with her arm round my neck. Ruth however sat up and smiled at me, "Bedtime, I think."

I had to adjust myself in my trousers when I got up. Up till now falling in love had been about romance, now there was a definite sexual undercurrent. Ruth's face was slightly flushed, colour spreading down her neck to below the top of her dress. Her nipples were prominent through the silky material - it wasn't just me that was feeling it then.

I took her in my arms and kissed her again. "Good night, my love. Go to bed before I drag you to mine."

"I'm tempted, but I promised myself to wait until we were married," she replied. "I'm also nervous. It's been a long time, and there are the scars you've never seen."

"It's been a long time for me too, love. And I don't care about scars. They're on the outside. What I love is in there," and I put my hand over her heart.

Chapter 11

I had spoken to both Sarah and Pete on the telephone at some length about my new circumstances. At first they were worried that I was being taken advantage of, but they had both gradually come round to accept that I knew my own mind. Funnily enough they both seemed more concerned about me, not about their inheritance.

I knew we had brought up some good kids. I told them that I had spoken to my financial advisor and intended to create trust funds for both of them, which would initially pay them dividends, but which they would have complete control over when they reached the age of 25. Both of them told me they were comfortable, and although more money never went amiss they didn't really need it. However I felt it was important - it was going to happen.

I sent them plane tickets so they could come to the wedding. On Wednesday first Pete, then two hours later Sarah and James arrived. Everyone was nervous about meeting, probably me most of all. Rosie broke the ice. A five year old, all excited, she couldn't contain herself. She wanted cuddles from everyone, especially Sarah. Another big sister, too good an opportunity to miss.

Emma had finished at college two weeks ago, and school had finished for Rosie last Friday. We did some moving around in the house. Ruth moved in with Emma, with Rosie sleeping on a blow-up mattress on the floor. That meant Sarah and James could have one spare room and Pete the other, smaller room.

The only down was Thursday, which was the anniversary of Simon and Becca's deaths. Father Dave had arranged a small service in church, a celebration of their lives. He felt it would be good for Ruth, a closure for her. I gave him pictures of Becca. He had them printed up and displayed. I hadn't been able to find any pictures of Simon, only a tiny, grainy, black and white one from a local paper in Manchester of Ruth and Simon together outside the registry office after their wedding. It didn't blow up well, but there were several small ones scattered around with the ones of Becca. My family were brilliant. Neither Pete or Sarah were church goers, but both came and joined in. It was sad, but strangely satisfying too.

Friday - one day to go. This morning, after Sarah realised that Ruth and I were not even sleeping together, she had taken me to one side to talk to me. She told me she liked Ruth and thought we would be good for each other. "I don't think I'll ever see her as my Mother even if she is married to you. Maybe more like a sister. I think I'll get to really like her. She's obviously been through a lot, I think she deserves a bit of good luck in her life. You're definitely lucky for her."

Pete was planning on meeting up with old friends on the Sunday for a couple of days, another day with me/us then head back to the States - the band had several gigs booked starting the following weekend. He was loyal and didn't want to miss out on the gigs and let the band down. The band had cut a couple of CDs which they sold when they played. Pete gave Emma a copy of each. She was chuffed. Sarah and Pete wanted to catch up with some old University friends too - they were going to London for 3 days where there was a small reunion planned. They had to leave the following weekend. Before we had announced the wedding they had arranged a family holiday with James' family. It left them with limited holiday time from work. Sarah had to beg a couple of extra days as she was actually over her allowance, but her bosses agreed when she explained she was flying back to the UK for my wedding.

Ruth and I were going away just for the weekend, Saturday and Sunday night. I'd booked a room at the London Ritz, plus I had got tickets for Miss Saigon for Sunday evening. Emma was going to look after Rosie for the two days we were away; Father Dave and his wife, Christine, said they would keep an eye out for us to make sure everything was OK. The following weekend Ruth, Emma, Rosie and I were all travelling to the South of France, where I had rented a villa for two weeks. We had been given permission by the local authority to take Rosie, as she was still technically under their care. I had fast-tracked passports for the other three, I had one already. Emma wasn't a problem. As she was sixteen she could apply in her own right, didn't need a parent to approve it. Father Dave countersigned the photos. After a family meal, organised by Ruth and Sarah, James, Pete and I went out to a local hotel for a couple of drinks. I'd had a stag night when I married Sue, I didn't need another. We chatted about various things men do, just catching up. James left at 10 to go back home. Pete, who I'd asked to be my Best Man, and I had booked in and were staying. I had told Ruth that I would see her at the Church for the wedding.

Chapter 12

Saturday turned out to be a lovely sunny summer's morning, with forecast for good weather for the next week. After a reasonable breakfast, I showered and trimmed my beard, dressed in my new suit, white dress shirt, dark blue bow tie with matching cummerbund. I went down for a coffee and Pete joined me, dressed to match. He looked good, very smart so I hoped I was OK. I wasn't nervous; actually I was looking forward to it. Once I made a decision I wasn't one to worry if I had made the right choice, I'd already done my thinking before, so just got on with it. We checked out the hotel and left at 11, were at the church by ten past. I had a chat with Father Dave, who was conducting the wedding. The organ was playing quietly in the background as the church started to fill. I expected there to be few, mainly family, but word had got out and people continued to drift in. Several of the shop workers who used to work for me had arranged an hour off to come to the ceremony. I was touched. I hadn't realised so many people wished us well. The ladies of the church were out in force on the bride's side of church. 11.30 arrived without Ruth, but it was fashionable to be late.

Five minutes later and the wedding march started. Maybe I broke tradition, but I turned to watch her entry. Rosie entered first scattering rose petals from a small wicker basket. She was dressed in a sky blue long dress. She looked enchanting. She was followed by Ruth, escorted by James who had agreed to give her away, and flanked by Emma and Sarah. Both Emma and Sarah were in matching full length blue halter neck gowns, a slightly darker shade of blue than Rosie's (I was told later it was Maya Blue). How they had managed to get Sarah a matching dress in such a short space of time I didn't know.

Ruth was in a strapless Empire Line Geek Style creation in cornflower blue, the high waist accentuating her small bust. An ivory lace shrug covered her shoulders and the top of her breasts, which I knew was to cover her scars. The lightly pleated skirts floated round her body, just giving a hint of the treasures lying underneath. 2 pearl hair combs, one either side, lifted her hair up on her head, with long floaty strands left loose to frame her face. The outfit was finished off with the pearl and ruby choker. She was beautiful. I felt proud to be marrying this lovely woman, though as I had told her before, she was beautiful on the inside too. She seemed to glide up the aisle until she was standing beside me.

I know I said the appropriate words in the right places, and when Pete handed over the ring for it to be blessed, I do remember slipping it onto Ruth's finger, but the memory does seem a bit blurred, I think I was a bit overwhelmed. I kissed the bride, we had rice and confetti throw over us and had pictures taken. Most of the pictures were taken by the trees in the churchyard, especially by an ancient yew tree, with others been taken at the Lychgate, which had been decorated by the ladies of the church. The wedding party plus Father Dave and Christine then made our way to Gino's where I had booked the wedding breakfast. Gino had set us up in the small back room for privacy. As usual the meal was excellent. We were surprised at the end by a wedding cake which Christine created. More pictures as we cut the cake! With such a small party I hadn't planned on speeches. Gino and his wife Danielle joined us when they brought the cake through, and provided champagne - their gift to us.

Pete said that he wasn't going to chicken out on giving a best mans speech, and as we didn't have a bride's father to give the first speech it was up to me. I was very brief, thanking everyone for joining us to celebrate our wedding, thanking my kids for welcoming our three new additions to the family, thanking Dave and Christine for their support, especially all their help for Ruth. Finally I thanked Ruth for having faith in me, and promised to ensure the rest of her life would be as good as I could make it.

Pete gave a short, quite amusing speech. He tended to talk to the audience between tracks at the band's gigs, so was comfortable with public speaking. He also proposed a toast to the bridesmaids, including the Maid of Honour (Sarah) and the flower girl.

Ruth surprised us all by then standing to say a few words. "I just want to say 'Thank You' to everyone. Sarah and Pete, for your understanding. It couldn't have been easy suddenly being told you had two new sisters and were going to get a stepmother. I'm not going to try and take your Mum's place, but I hope we can be friends. And I promise to look after your Dad to the best of my ability. Dave and Christine for your help and support. Gino and Danielle, for the wonderful meal and of course the champagne. James, for giving me away. Emma and Rosie, for being the family I needed. I love you both. Mark, for just being you. Kind, generous, thoughtful, supportive. You've dragged me back from the brink.

"When you found me I was at a very low point in my life. I needed someone to show me that I deserved something better than how I was living. Without even knowing me you did that. You showed me I could be a better person. Because you had belief in me, it allowed me to believe in myself again. You've shown your love for me in so many ways, I want to return that love. I intend to keep showing you how much I love you for the rest of our lives." She leaned down and kissed me. There were tears in my eyes, and I suspect in others too but I didn't see, I only had eyes for Ruth.

We changed into comfortable clothes, collected our cases from home and set off for London. The room at the Ritz was waiting. With a delay on the roads it was mid-evening when we arrived and checked in. Neither of us really wanted to eat a big meal as we had already had that wonderful meal earlier at Gino's.

I ordered a cheeseboard for two and a bottle of champagne from room service. We sat and relaxed, although there was an underlying tension to both of us. It had been a long time since I had been with a woman and I wanted to be good for Ruth. She was worried about me seeing her scars and being put off.

I went for a shower and came out in a bathrobe, complements of the hotel. Ruth asked me to go to bed and she would join me. I offered to run her a bath, and added in aromatic bath oil for her. I relaxed and listened to the radio while I waited. Eventually Ruth opened the bathroom door and walked towards the bed. She was wearing a long, satin nightgown in deep midnight blue. Her hair was loose and tumbled over her shoulders. She was shivering, not from cold but from worry. I pulled down the covers and invited her to join me.

I stroked her face, my thumb rubbing along her lips, and kissed her eyelids, first one then the other. "I love you, Ruth Mckay" I whispered, then our lips met and I captured her mouth. My tongue brushed her lips and she opened them to allow entry. I caressed down from her shoulder to her hand, then brought it up to my mouth and kissed her palm. "Trust me Ruth, have belief. I won't hurt you, it'll all be okay"

I moved her head gently towards me and licked her neck, capturing her earlobe with my teeth and softly nipping it. I kissed down her neck to the soft area between neck and shoulder and nibbled gently. Ruth groaned and tensed up. I licked down to the hollow at the base of her throat and sucked the skin, bringing heat to the surface. As I started to kiss down towards the top of Ruth's breasts, I slipped the nightdress straps down her shoulders, to expose more. Ruth moved her hands to cover herself but I caught them and firmly held them to the bed either side of her head.

"Mark" - almost piteously - I stopped any further speech but kissing her again. I dropped her hands and slipped the straps down to elbow level. I moved back and kissed the top of Ruth's left breast. I could feel the difference in texture where the scars were and carefully kissed each scar as I reached it. I lazily swiped my tongue down her cleavage and across to the right breast and repeated the process. I looked up and could see tears sliding down Ruth's cheeks. I kissed the tears and whispered " I don't care about the scars. They're part of you and I love you". She sobbed and dug her head into my neck.

She held me tight for a couple of minutes then started to kiss my neck. Her left hand slid from my shoulder to my bum, then round the front to grasp my rock hard dick. I don't think I'd ever been so hard before. Her fingers gently slid up and down the shaft for a few seconds, then she said "Please Mark, let me do this for you", slid down and before I realised what she had planned I was deep in her mouth. The warm, wet suction was devastating. There was no messing about, no licking, nibbling or blowing air on the end. Over half my rigid member was in her mouth with her head bobbing up and down rapidly as she sucked hard. There was no way I was going to last long. "Ruth, if you don't stop I won't be able to stop myself cumming."