All Comments on 'Second Life'

by desecration

Sort by:
  • 194 Comments
lujon2019lujon2019over 2 years ago

"Out fell what women call lingerie"

My god, the pretention - it burns

So tell us good sir, what do men call lingere?

/

Also if it if normal of men to barf why do you feel the need to reiterate this common thing we are all aware of 47,000 times?

/

I will give you props. This is literally the only story I've read where the MC goes 'eureka, my wife fucking other men PROVES god exists'

jesterhjesterhover 2 years ago

Very thoughtful and provocative. I hope you enjoy the writing; clearly you work at it. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The way I understood it, this "story" may have been written by a conservative pastor as a parable for what "good ... people" should be. It is so obvious and naive that it hurts. The author might also want to reconsider the simplistic concept about upbringing children in his/her introduction... it is just nonsense!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Well done.

TajfaTajfaover 2 years ago

Had to skip through this one as just too much fluff. At least in the end she got some sort of payback for her lifestyle.

PencarrowPencarrowover 2 years ago
WELL, THAT WAS MORE CEREBRAL THAN MOST

I liked it. Gave it 5. Not sure why because it didn't make me rage as some stories do but it did make me think, which is equally good.

~

I didn't really care if it was believable or not because I just let the story carry me along, and it was a pleasant journey. I particularly liked the thoughts that went through the protagonists mind, and it reminded me a great deal of JayDiver's "Just a Glimpse" in that regard.

~

Thanks from me.

tangledweedtangledweedover 2 years ago

If I had to capture the closest feelings this rigorously philosophical tale evokes at its conclusion, it would a wet fart that shouldn't have been trusted..

WetheNorthWetheNorthover 2 years ago
I persevered through the first two pages

and I am glad that I did because the last two were a gem

vhasstvhasstover 2 years ago

I really enjoyed this. The quiet relentless steps of a man moving forward with his life being true to himself.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Fuck…this a truely a Nobel prize winning effort I feel….only problem..I ahve no clue what the writer was trying to write!…it was too meandering …too verbose and too full of verbal diahorrea for me to truly comprehend what must ahve been a superlative effort by the writer to write this magnum opus! Anyway best of luck to you and your social projects….

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing...

Bravo! It’s very rare talent you possess.

The ability to reflect, converse & execute at this level of understanding is very rare. I’m impressed. 5* ( I would have given you Ten if it was possible ;)

Looking forward to your next posting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Yeah... Nahhh shite like this belongs in fetish, where the cum slurping perverts, that want to watch there better's Enjoy life, whilst they wallow in self pity, live.

swedishreader1swedishreader1over 2 years ago

Where to start.

Normally I would score something like this 1 or 2 stars and leave a very short comment.

It was a 1 page story with 3 pages of absolutely irrelevant information that added nothing.

I will give a couple of quick examples

Timothy.....what his family did or did not do after world war 2 is irrelevant and added nothing to the story.

That kind of example is repeated endlessly.

Martian "zombie" slut ray.

The fact that you felt the need to add the word zombie is a prime example of it.

If you cut out the irrelevant stuff you would have a decent story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Awesome. Simply awesome. Only a person who knows a thing or two about the human mind can write the way you do. 5+

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 2 years ago

some really good views, but bad story. to bad would have made a good "the grass is greener" story if it was polished up quite a bit

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Well done. But Jack Daniels is not THAT bad. Don't drag politics or brands of Bourbon into it ;)

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Was this a story or an editorial? Way to long and extremely boring.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The author is a very good writer. However, the story was boring as hell. Couldn't read it. Skimmed a little then read the end. Sorry not for me. 0 emotion, snoozer.

Wh00sherWh00sherover 2 years ago

I've never skipped through a story as much as this. Far too much waffle.

Just awful

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good one. Needs a follow on too.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

was hard for me to get through. I think non erotic would be a better location even though there is a cheating wife here.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I see several harsh criticisms below, but I think if one grades this on simply the challenging position it takes, and the thought it provokes, it deserves high marks. Some of these observations hit close to home (ouch!)... and I think will drive some change in me.

Sometimes I like fast 'n' furious, straight-up sex stories. And then I also appreciate ones like this. Thanks to the author.

DaruneAlbaneDaruneAlbaneover 2 years ago

The sad truth of this story .. (imo) almost all of the people who want to help (in a big known way) are only doing it for looks .. not caring if the help they gave did anything

MwestohioMwestohioover 2 years ago

Interesting archetypes but still a lot of navel gazing

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Children! Sit up and pay attention. Now that was a well written short story. Other would do well to emulate.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Too wordy. More dialog would have been welcome.

luciocsilaluciocsilaover 2 years ago

Original. Muy bueno.

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 2 years ago

Some strange style. Too much psychobabble that the author thinks too highly of, but it is nothing worth wasting time on. If he could cut on that and develop a more realistic plot (without Indonesia/Sweden/full second life fairy tales) without miracle heroes saving people from disasters the story would be better. Something like explaining how "Agnes" and "Travis" connected into such an "ideal couple."

It seems the author is more enamored into his own psychobabble than into developing story.

Not a bad plot just full of holes with random sideways.

justbobkcjustbobkcover 2 years ago

I often debate hardcore liberals online. People just like the wife depicted here. Bitter people who are SURE Utopia could happen if everyone just followed their idealism, totally. This seems to be a form of mental problem like a "Messiah Complex." Except they aren't God and won't ever be. Not even close.

Very well done story telling here. The only slightly questionable thing was the wife's success as a liberal Principle of a "failing" school. The ONLY way liberal ideals actually succeed in school is if cheating happens - like lowering standards or even just changing grades.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Nothing Candace felt is as irrelevant and pointless as this steaming pile of pretentious nonsense. You’re a fucking idiot.

As just one example, there’s the smug, condescending bit about civil suits not having a statute of limitations. But civil actions do have statutes of limitations, typically a couple of years for torts or six on a contract. If you try to be a condescending asshole but don’t know what you’re talking about you’re just an asshole.

kirei8kirei8over 2 years ago

Writing like this is what is needed to "wake" the "woke". Also, it's one of the best "BTB's" on this site. Great job!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I like your stuff. Please keep up the fine work!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Whilst I enjoyed the story, it could do with a bit of pruning, quite verbose in places.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I liked it and its hint of the vapidness of todays culture. Thank you, 5 stars!

Frank66Frank66over 2 years ago

Wow, 4 pages of psychological meanderings about why a marriage has gone bad with not one tear shed. Amazing, and while trying to explain life much of the reality of it was left out. BUT, the story was full of good little tidbits of knowledge and very entertaining. You can't please everybody, and shouldn't try. Well done, anyway.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 2 years ago

I often debate hardcore RIGHT wing assholes like JUSTBOBKC online. People just like the justbobkc who complain about how awful liberals are and that they should all in concentration camps. People like justbobkc think Trump is God and therefore we do not need to use science or facts or reason and data

.

People like justbobkc --That is to say the modern Trump conservative-- are not just stupid. They are PROUD that they are stupid and they are PROUD that they are ignorant. As they march to their Death Beds believing that the coronavirus is fake and the vaccines don't work and die in droves … they still insist that they don't have the virus. Because good damn it some eye doctor told them them on youtube it was all fake

.

The only reason that you have medicine and food that you can take that doesn't kill you is not because of pharmaceuticals. It's because of government intervention.

.

The only reason the air is clean so you don't suffer from Smog and other asthma related diseases is because of government intervention. Retarded dumbfucks like justbobkc think is because coal companies and other companies that produce air pollution are really concerned about your well-being as a consumer. They are not.

.

The reason why you survived the car crash --or somebody in your family did ---is because of seat belts and safety laws and airbags. Which car companies and conservatives fought against for 25 years or more.

.

Scumbag conservatives like justbobkc railed against America being armed to fight World War as they supported pacifism non-intervention and Nazi Germany.

.

They were against the GI bill when it was introduced after World War II.

.

Conservatives and scumbags like justbobkc fought extremely hard against Medicare and Medicaid….. against having clean air and clean water.

.

They are against people getting a college education if you don't have $1000000 in the bank

.

And they certainly do not want people who are not white to vote. They know that the demographics of a country are changing and they are furiously angry because they believe it is going to destroy their privileged life--- that is what they fear

.

And here is the joke boys and girls --it doesn't matter how much assholes like justbobkc Vote for Trump and go to white supremacist rallies and tell everybody that they're not bigots even though they don't want anybody who is not white to have any political power….

.

Those things are going to happen and it's just a matter of time. Sorry justbobkc -- You are a loser and is nothing you can do to change it

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 2 years ago

There is another aspect of this story (besides overwhelming psychobabble) that I do not like, and that is hypocrisy.

The author (through the main character) pretends that he has "understanding" of the female character straying (as it is her inevitable failure) yet he spends quite a lot of time in portraying her as negative as possible. Anybody who reads this story will feel that she is entitled selfish conniving bitch and the main character is doing his best to strip her of the finances. The story even ends with a passive aggressive burn of the "bitch."

Why do you need to be hypocritical? Is that what you think lifts you and your character to a high moral plain?

I keep on pointing to stories of papatoad, he is not making judgmental crap, just actions and a plot. That is what good writer does. Makes characters, makes plot impressive and the reader will decide, that is good writing.

Instead of wanna-be intellectual tracts and psychobabble.

phill1cphill1cover 2 years ago

"The ONLY way liberal ideals actually succeed in school is if cheating happens - like lowering standards or even just changing grades..."

Except the best schools are in liberal districts, where liberal ideals flourish.

go figure: Facts interrupt conservative rhetoric, again...

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 2 years ago

The premise of the story is quite interesting and unique. Using the wife's long-term Affair as a cover to develop your own separate life because she is so detached from yours and from her own kids.

.

But making the argument that this kind of detachment and delusion ONLY happens with progressives/super woke people and it does NOT happen with those who are super religious and end up having long-term affairs with their priests and ministers deacons etc …. is really quite absurd. This story smacks of somebody who tries way too hard to push a political agenda instead of making a good story.

.

SECOND These stories are filled with these ridiculous pretentious assertions and Buddha like affirmations, "I don't 'do' pity, generally. It's a nasty form of condescension.

.

and this ….”I would never pity anyone, since it is a way of suggesting that they cannot rise again."

.

THIRD here we have yet ANOTHER stereotypical engineer type of middle-aged man supposedly smart highly insightful analytical suddenly believes in God because his wife's cheating on HIM? ?

.

LOL I mean come on folks.

.

If you go back and read the story again and you really follow how methodical and analytical the husband/ Travis appears to be there is no possible way he would come to the conclusion that there is a God and that God the creator of the entire universe actually cares about whether or not this particular insignificant Blue Planet at the far end of a insignificant Galaxy actually gives a shit about earth and humans.

.

Engineering is an applied science but it IS a science. What most people don't get about people of science is that it is part of our lives on a daily basis. Science is VERB -- it is a way of looking at the universe that says Supernatural forces don't exist or if they do require an extremely high level of proof and evidence. Real people of Science don't have half their brain about Science and the other half about religion

.

What stupid and religious conservative people don't understand is that atheism is not a belief -- it is a conclusion.

.

Is it LIKELY … is it probable that the Supreme Being if it exists for the entire universe actually is obsessed with Humanity given our position in the universe and in the galaxy?

.

OR ... given the nature of human existence ….how we are all obsessed with our own self-worth ….our own image ….how we are consumed by our own daily minutiae of everyday life ….how small minded and self-obsessed humans are with their own existence on a regular basis…. that we would invent a Supreme Being who of course is obsessed with us and only us in the universe?

.

which is more likely? and why would an engineer… one depicted in this story come to the conclusion that there is a God?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Brilliant. Again. Another five. Two fives out of two tries. As I noted in my comments about "Trojan Horse," desecration writes on a high level about deep things. Sure, there are others on this site who also display real depth, names which come to mind at the moment are carvohi, dtiverson, javmor79, rheinquist, RichardGerald. Certainly they are not alone. As to the politics of this, I'm not sure that some of the commentators who've jumped in to assign desecration to their side of things have gotten it right. His implied critique of Dana's (and Tim's) wokeness seems to me more about them as people than about them as political ideologues. But maybe I'm wrong about that. But from the two stories so far, it seems to me that desecration is more about individual integrity than ideological identity.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Love your writing. Multi-dimensional, introspective, layered characters, interesting story lines. I look forward to more of your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Pure crap

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is a wonderful story and very well told. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

It almost never happens that someone submits a story with such a creative, interesting plot that is poorly written. In this case, the concepts behind the characters are far too directly written into the characters, so that they become cardboard stereotypes, and the prose becomes all too often wooden. I'll take this over the fluently written, but badly conceived and plotted, crap served up by writers like GA. Nevertheless, go read todd172 and other writers who make their stories flow, and then think about how you can improve the expression of your creativity. You have far more potential than most writers here.

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 2 years ago

Whenever I see long paragraphs in a story it always means the author cannot help but ramble unnecessarily.

Yep.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuover 2 years ago

Good read.

The story flowed quite well for although since there were no fireworks some parts were bland. Travis' plan on how he managed to get one over the cheaters was done well by the author. All in all a pleasant read. Dana deserved the bed she made and now faced the future lying on it...alone and lonely til probably her dying days. No man would shack up with a past 50 year old

selfish feminist.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 2 years ago

Deep but good. justbobkc, the term you are looking for is Social Justice Warrior. SJWs pretend to care but never help anyone, ever. It is always about them and their self righteousness. Dana will end up alone and no one will care. But at least she broke free of the patriarchy, family bonds and common sense. She can wrap herself up in how good a person she is for the rest of her solitary life.

onlythelonelyloveonlythelonelyloveover 2 years ago

Another Randist hero. I had to laugh at the influential college professor… a deep dive into a Shrugging Galtian mind—alien and impressive; ultimately cold but that is your style.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 2 years ago

Not much editing and this is literature. Amazing when you consider the plot is conservative marries a liberal lefty. One of the best on here. Maybe the best.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Written like a sophomore trying to impress his professors, and drier than the Atacama desert. I understand that the MC is a virtually an automaton by his own description, but it would appear that all the other characters are as well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

That weird. Interesting. Convoluted. Difficult to internalize. But good.

.

At the end of the day, Travis was fulfilled and Dana was empty. Good.

.

The lack of any interaction involving THEIR kids (was there more than Candace? ) detracted from the story.

.

So…..4 **** …… 3 for the story and writing, and 1 for the originality.

demanderdemanderover 2 years ago

Passionless, just like the MC. D

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Saddened by the realization , way too late , that only true love possesses tangible qualities ! Very well written with a powerful message !

ibuguseribuguserover 2 years ago

Nice. You're a good story teller.

Thanks for sharing.

KittyCampbellKittyCampbellover 2 years ago

I hope you will just delete the comment that 'Anon Nothing Candace' placed here. What a steaming pile of nothing he is. That said, I really liked this story but it needed a good editor to smooth the transitions out. It seemed to get lost at times with all the mental gymnastics. Otherwise I gave you full marks.

Wonderman1Wonderman1over 2 years ago

damn fine writing. love your stories.

firedog451firedog451over 2 years ago

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

PeelercrabPeelercrabover 2 years ago

Not many writers here are so inciteful. Keep it up. I like reading things that make you think! This was the most simplistic but covered now and history then show what history really is and what will be important and what just a footnote.

"Things only matter if they endure a century or more, otherwise they are footnotes, and over time will be omitted from future editions of the history books. We will remember Charlemagne, Beethoven, Keats, and Newton for all time, but will The Beatles and Picasso make it past a century? Time will tell. Nothing matters except that which endures, and this means that it takes decades, centuries, and even millennia to see what was important. Only in their afterlife do things reveal their true value."

ribnitinribnitinover 2 years ago

Anonymous: Jack Daniels is Tennessee whiskey, not bourbon. And it's a great drink.

To the author; this could have been a much better story, if you have been easier on the lecturing. I like the character, I believe what he was saying, but you hit us over the head with it for too long.

The story was also missing essential elements of what would make the plot operational.

Nonetheless I look forward to more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

@justbobkc - if you believe that the characters in this story represent anything remotely like the typical left-of-center, well, go right ahead. Tighten up that MAGA hat, crank up that AM radio and let the conmen fill up your head with more idiocy, and backslap your buddies for "owning them libz!!!!!" in your online "debates".

.

In the meantime, I'll be laughing. At, not with.

PowersworderPowersworderover 2 years ago

It was a great idea for a story, but there was too much narration and philosophising. This needed more dialogue between Travis and the two women in his life to add a bit of emotion and drama.

For example: Travis' stunt with the empty condom packets. What was that supposed to achieve? Why didn't Dana even mention it?

Also the relationship with Agnes went from them telling each other they weren't "their type", to her becoming his mistress and having three kids with him. I liked the ending, it just felt strangely unsatisfying.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithover 2 years ago

Way to much mental gymnastics. I felt like as I was watching a show on the history channel where they take five minutes of content, repeat it over and over like you’re a moron and did get the point the first time it was made. How many different times and ways do you have to point out she lost respect for him, only to point out later the characters had different definitions for the word? It’s a shame because you have skill as a writer, you need to learn to be more concise. Make your point and move on. Great story, but you dragged it out into torture.

PencarrowPencarrowover 2 years ago
@ Harryin VA

Harry, I've often surmised from your many comments that you almost have two personalities, or rather, two modes of commenting.

~

One mode is thoughtful, very intelligent, insightful, and well-written with few, if any, spelling or grammatical mistakes. The other is rambling, derogatory, and full of errors which make the comment almost unreadable. In fact, I've often wondered if you have a drinking problem or some sort of split personality.

~

Whatever it is, you have just recently added two comments to this story that are impressive, and I thank you for them. I liked reading them both and wish more of them were in a similar style. Cheers, and thanks, from me.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraover 2 years ago

This story has a moral that is summed up in the last paragraph. Like people who awoke from a life of lies and delusion the day the Soviet Union collapsed, the most devastating feeling on earth is to realize your life has been a life. In Dana's case, it was at her own hand.

.

Here's one of the many money-shots in this fine piece: "Men like that had a substitute goodness, the symbolic act of "doing good" that substituted for having a good heart, sane mind, healthy soul, and a desire to improve oneself. Guys like Flannigan thought they were perfect, little gods among men, and turned their criticism outward, as well as their hopes." Dana and Timothy are perfect examples of the modern 'woke' creature, all of whom are so shallow as to be all surface.

.

This writer not only tells a story but creates a whole, multi-level experience. Those who whine about 'lecturing' or 'moralizing' need to step back and read a little deeper, consider what's being said. Every writer imparts part of himself or herself, often persuasively, into their work. It's part of the tone, the setting, the context, and if it offends, just read past it. Or, just read it, consider his/her viewpoint and either consider it or reject it out of hand.

.

This writer is already one of the best to post on this site. Easily another top-50 story! 5++++++/5!!

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69over 2 years ago

Great story told with a LOT of words.

amygdalaamygdalaover 2 years ago

Going straight to my fav list. Thanks for the great story author.

WargamerWargamerover 2 years ago

What a cunt Dana was, l’m glad she ended up alone, she finally got what she fully deserved.

A bit long in parts but a quite enjoyable read.

4/5

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Another original twist on the "cheaper to keep her, for the time being". Ultimately his 'woke" wife has no understanding of how good she has it. Yet, to her credit, she finds the man that she deserves. They can be woke together while he sleeps with others and then bails, becasue life is too short not to sleep with multiple women.

No doubt she will go Lesbian for companionship. Meanwhile he get the book seller, has another go at a family, gets his kids love and support and true love and commitment from his second wife.

Nice analogies and some good philosophy here. Better, another story to make the Cucks terribly unhappy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

ROFL!!!!! You should send this to every liberal in academia and wish them the best in the fruits of their labors. This will tell them that the people that really matter will never be affected by their stupid PC bullshit. They are just like turds rolling down a sewer pipe. They only become useful when they are fertilizer.

FireFox59FireFox59over 2 years ago

Damn!! There might be a great story here somewhere but this is about as dry, unemotional, and clinical as any cheating wife story I've ever read. Guess I'm just too stupid to get it. Whatever it was.

ImNotanAnonImNotanAnonover 2 years ago

Dear fucking god, this was boring beyond belief. I must have dozed off a half dozen times. Basically, a cuckold story........what a waste of almost talent.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Awful, pretentious writing. The author is always trying to impress the audience with his erudition, dropping names and spouting naive philosophy. There is no hint of emotion in the tale; in his view, apparently, people could be replaced by robots and no one would notice. And as a bit of info to the author, many of Picasso's paintings have been around well over a century and judging by their prices at auction, they are still highly regarded.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Dude I've read more exciting technical manuals than this mess. It was a lot like watching paint dry reading this and I stopped at chapter 2 but I doubt I missed anything.

MVarroMVarroover 2 years ago

Thank you for a story that is not the usual if amusing btb, but a variant of the rare “the best revenge is living well” type. I liked your writing. Please keep posting new stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Amen

skruff101skruff101over 2 years ago

Internal monologue is great, it helps the reader understand a characters motivation and actions, but there was just too god damned much of it.

The delivery was as bland as unflavoured tofu, there seemed to be a measured insouciance that belied the circumstances.

There are those that will point to the first few paragraphs to explain the MC’s attitude to the unfolding situation, it does not.

Even someone with such a laissez-faire predilection would feel a mite pissed off, instead we have him giving us chapter and verse concerning the steps he’s taking, foregoing some of that and inserting a little angst in his thoughts might make him sound marginally more human and not the automaton we are presented with here.

But this is the character you’ve created, it is the character we are stuck with, only getting to see a little more humanity at the end when he turns out to be a hero. His fifteen years in an alternate life we are not privy to, that might have made a difference, but who’s to say.

katibkatibover 2 years ago

So much detain and information (perhaps interesting in itself) that clog the pores of what otherwise would be a good story. Leads to ennui rather than enjoyment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Congratulations on writing a very significant and intellectually arousing story. It is a good plot, and obviously consumed a great deal of energy and imagination. Of course it is overwritten, which reflects the author's investment. But I think experience and mellowing will dial back the quantity of superfluous or irrelevant words written and intellectual issues proferred. At least I hope so.

But let me point out a few aspects of reality and justice that the story omits or contradicts. First, Dana doesn't give a fuck what ANYONE thinks who disagrees with her. Not because she is so independent of mind, but because she is entirely a creature of the HIVE. Dana doesn't need to think about what she thinks, she just needs to listen to the buzz and adhere. So Dana will never be alone because she has no existence outside of her social/political village, tribe, community, world. It is all the same. Dana is a Leftist Ideologue, so she doesn't have to think, just comply. Apparently she helped write the book. Also, Dana has no morals, no ethics, no self respect, essentially no soul. But she does have a decent body and a functioning vagina, so she will hardly be lacking for company. She will be just another Socialist hag boinking whatever young drunk campaign worker or intern she can capture with the right combination of inebriation and sexual deprivation. After being Tim's fall back pussy for years, Dana won't even care if they respect her in the morning. Self respect is a bourgeois artifact . . . etc. etc. etc.

The failure of Justice is the same you committed with Steve in your previous story: The clear all time winner in this story is Tim, the predator asshole. He ended up having all the fun, fucked over everybody, and escaped with his spoils and his future looking bright. Why? Especially now that Tim lives in a South American country retribution would be a piece of cake. I would prefer an ending where after some time Dana receives a package from South America containing Tim's penis in a jar, showing a tattoo of another woman's name, with a note: "Tim sends the only part of his being and substance that you lived for, and miss. When we told him his punishment was for his gross mistreatment of a married woman, he asked, Who?"

So overall a labored and needlessly complicated story about some stupid cuck who married poorly, stay married for too long, and ended up grasping for some redemption with a second woman who made the best of his compromised choices and lifestyle. I'm glad Agnes was glad for what she got. She deserved more. The story ended with Dana STILL married to Travis; what the fuck?

You still did OK. I hope you do better with future work. Thanks for the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Loved the story, but the one thing that will never be erased from my mind is, the image of "bats on meth". Thank you for that!

silentsoundsilentsoundover 2 years ago

Hmmm. Thought provoking.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I have to agree with several of the comments, this has been a good story that at times does not fit the catagory you chose,. I am normally not a naysayer of the stories I read ,so take my compliments and critique with an open mind. Keep up your writing since loving wives is a strong category. THANKS

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterover 2 years ago

It started out with promise and then got tedious. If you tried to imply that engineers have no concepts beyond cold logic I suppose you achieved that, but if got so bogged down with moralistic tedium. Couldn’t really appreciate the drawn out “Lessons” on endurance.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

You sure love your words. But this isn't the literature club. To much posturing and lecturing. Who would stay married to a cheater for 15 plus years? If nothing else, his stress level would have killed him. And a polygamous relationship? Please. Are you a Mormon???

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I was bored by the end of the second paragraph, so skimmed to find out the story really didn't start til page 3 if that, too much lecturing, too many ridiculous sentences like, 'what women call lingerie', EVERYONE calls it that, writer is too busy trying to sound intelligent and clever only to come across as a condisending, arrogant writer who thinks he's clever.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Are you as anal in life also???

LOVE. Slap*hapy*papy. #9

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitover 2 years ago

That was just about perfect. I loved the manipulation of the system to just leave his first wife to fill herself with meaningless crap in lieu of real connection and depth in life. Thanks for writing. Loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

"Only in their afterlife do things reveal their true value." True, but each generation lops some people off the list of those to be remembered. I kind of doubt Keats will survive for too long; Charlemagne might make it in France, but sooner or later people are going to get upset about all those wars killing people to force conversion to Christianity (some called him the Great, but others the Saxon Slayer); Beethoven's greatness is clear, but the expensive people and places needed to preserve classical music will have trouble surviving as the world turns away from traditional Western culture; some scientists will remember Newton, but gravity is not really exciting any more, so the majority of people, who know only the Apple story, will forget.

Shakespeare may make it, but sadly not his language.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

That was really boring

iameaseliameaselover 2 years ago

Well written but far to drawn out. Its hard to stay interested even in a good story when it feels like reading quicksand.

Highly improbable to the Nth degree but still a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The author would like have done well to remember it is better for characters to show rather than tell.

invisible_bridgesinvisible_bridgesover 2 years ago

The beginning especially, but really the entire story, felt too exposition-heavy. The characters are presented through analysis, rather than as vividly realized, living breathing figures. But I suspect that this was the effect you were aiming for, as your MC was himself engaged with the world analytically. At times the writing seemed as if Umberto Eco, Jorge Luis Borges, or Italo Calvino were attempting a LW tale. I don't know whether that's a good thing.

.

Anyway, I have to give this effort another 5 stars on ambition and thoughtfulness alone. That, and I thought I'd never see a Barbara Pym reference dropped in a Ltterotica story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Why are so many of the husbands engineers?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I think you see yourself as a philosopher. Your writing is pretentious and arcane. Know your audience before you try a poor attempt at formal prose. In other words, "what a load of bull crap!"

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

There's definitely something here. DEFINITELY! But I'm not sure what it is...

I think its partly because the author doesn't know what that is either. Its only there second story. So I guess what I'm saying is keep writing, but cool it with the preaching. Everybody knows all this stuff. We know its better to build a life than to chase someone else's fantasy. We know its wrong to cheat, no need to flog that dead horse.

RedWRX2019RedWRX2019over 2 years ago

The story, although completely unbelievable, was good fun. I am so looking forward to more. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good stuff. I LOVE the "lecturing". It gives me a very rare opportunity to compare the running assumptions that I have wrested from the universe with those of someone who pays attention. The bits about "oil under pressure in the layers of rock" and marriage as a partnership are right on. I don't do pity either...I studiously avoid it. Makes it easier to deal with those who come here to reinforce their hardened positions.

Really glad that you are writing the way that you are. It's the lecturing that can make the difference. The rest is just a vehicle.

LWlurker

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Brilliant

Thank you.

Cheers

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous