Semper Invictus Ch. 01 - Drawn

Story Info
Can true love stand the test of time?
8.9k words
4.72
54.5k
85
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

WARNING! WARNING! This story contains elements of Sci-Fi and Mature. If that bothers you to the point of distraction, please move on. You have been warned.

This story has actually been in the works for just over a year. After writing and rewriting many parts of it, I finally decided to set aside the minutiae and get it done. The title was inspired by the lyrics of "Ferrum Noricum" by Celtica -- Pipes Rock! Steve Iverson, the main character in this story, first appeared in "Wife and the Beast."

I would like to thank QuantumMechanic1957 and Kalimaxos for giving this a beta read, as well as those who have offered comments and constructive criticism on my previous stories.

For those who want to say this or that would never happen, remember this is my universe, a place where nearly anything can, and often does, happen. At least on paper...

And now, the disclaimers:

For those who want to say this or that would never happen, remember this is my universe, a place where nearly anything can, and often does, happen. At least on paper... In addition:

  1. Characters in this story may participate in one or more of the following: Smoking, consumption of adult (meaning, alcoholic) beverages, utterance of profanities.
  2. All sexual activity is between consenting adults 18 years of age or older.
  3. Statements or views uttered by the fictional characters in this story do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the author.

Please refer to my profile for more on my personal policy regarding comments, feedback, follows, etc. (Yes, I DO moderate comments) And please remember, this is a work of fiction, not a docu-drama...

...

After more than 2,100 years, you'd think I'd have a clue when it comes to women. But I guess you'd be wrong. The woman sitting across from me said she wanted to hear my story and know all about me. After what she had just witnessed, I thought she'd be open to what I had to tell her. But now, I'm not so sure.

I just met this woman yesterday -- last night, as a matter of fact. I was nursing a drink at a club when she came up to me. I almost did a double-take, as she reminded me very much of someone very dear to me.

"I know we've never met, but I somehow feel drawn to you," she said. "Almost as if we've known each other all our lives. I'm Noemi Schlager," she added, holding out her hand.

"Steve Iverson," I said. "It's a pleasure meeting you, Ms. Schlager," I told her, seeing no indication of a ring on her finger.

"Please call me Noemi," she said with a smile. "Listen, I have to run to the ladies' room, but would you mind ordering me a drink when I get back? I'd like to get to know you a bit."

"Of course," I said. When she got back, I immediately saw it -- there was a subtle change in her eyes and in her mannerisms. I knew right away that she had been occupied by the creature I had been tracking for the last two months.

I knew the thing had come to this club, which is why I was there, but I kept calm and ordered her drink. We talked and danced for a bit before inviting me back to her place. I watched the creature for any indication it would attack the whole time.

I accepted her invitation and went to her condo. She immediately turned and attacked me when we got inside, howling like a banshee. I knew it was the creature that had occupied her body, so I whipped out my sword and made short work of the thing, hoping I didn't inflict any damage on Noemi.

I put her on the couch and considered her carefully. Something about this woman intrigued me, so I pulled a cotton swab from one of my coat pockets and took a sample from inside her cheek while she was still unconscious. Shortly afterward, she came to. She watched, shocked, as I crushed the last vestige of the beast lying on the floor.

"What was that thing?" she asked.

"It occupied your body, Noemi. It attacked me when we got here. Don't worry, it's gone now. It won't bother you again," I said.

"Occupied my body? You mean, like a demon or something?" she asked, shocked.

"Something," I said.

"You didn't answer my question," she said. "What was it? Why did it occupy me?" I knew the answer, but I wasn't sure how to tell this woman that the thing I just killed was related to a 2,100-year-old story.

"It's a long story that goes back many years," I said. Over two thousand years, to be exact, but I didn't tell her that.

"Well, I want to hear that story," she said. "I don't care how long or how far back it goes." I pulled out a card and wrote my address down before handing it to her.

"Be at my place tomorrow evening, and I'll tell you all about it," I said.

"I'll be there," she responded, taking my card. Very well, I thought. If she wants to hear a 2,100-year-old story, so be it.

And yes, you read that right -- 2,100 years. Before I get too deep into my story, let me explain a little bit. According to the modern calendar, I was born on March 15, 101 BC, in the ancient Celtic kingdom of Noricum, located in the area currently known as Austria.

These days, I'm known as Steve Iverson. My given name no longer matters as that person ceased to exist a long time ago. Nothing remains from that time, not even the language I spoke as a child. My father was a sword maker, like his father before him. My brother and I worked with our father, and together, we made some of, if not THE best, swords in the region.

Not only did we make the swords, but we also knew how to use them. We were damn good at what we did. The three of us also mined much of the ore we used to make swords. That sometimes meant long trips to the southern regions of the kingdom. I hated being away from my young bride and our two sons, but it was necessary. Noricum ore, also known as chalybs Noricus, was quite superior to the Greco-Roman wrought iron and produced excellent blades, which were highly sought after by the Romans.

It was on one such trip that my current story began. My father and brother had already left the area for home, their carts loaded with ore. I thought I would stay and try looking in a different location that hadn't been mined very much, so I went further into the mountains. Sure enough, I found a vein that looked quite promising, so I collected what I could.

While collecting the ore, I spotted a flash of green light between two rocks and went to investigate. I saw a strange orb about 15 feet above the ground, emanating the green light when I got there. I was mesmerized, not knowing what this thing was. My entire body was wrapped in green light the next thing I knew, and I felt an odd tingling sensation.

The light quickly went out, and I fell, face down, on the dirt, unable to move. When I awoke, I noticed the grass was much taller, and the sky was clear. The orb was gone, and I had no idea how long I had been asleep. My head hurt a bit, but not too bad. I wiped my eyes and took inventory.

My horse and cart were no longer there, and I saw no tracks to indicate where they might have gone. I still had my clothing and the bag I carried. I checked and found I still had everything I had brought with me. At least I hadn't been robbed. I stood and realized it was pretty early in the day. If I started now, I could be back in the village in two days, maximum.

I knew the way well, as I had traveled there often with my father and brother, and fortunately, most of the return trip was downhill. I headed out as fast as I could and got back to the village in a little less than two full days. But when I arrived, I got the shock of my life.

The village was destroyed. Much of it was simply gone. What remained were piles of burned lumber covered with moss. It looked like no one had been here for quite some time. I searched but found no sign of life whatsoever.

I found a slag pile near where we used to forge our swords, but it looked like no one had been here for years. I called out for my father, brother, and wife, Noei. But I received no answer. Frantic, I ran from one pile of lumber to another but found nothing. Then I heard a man's voice calling out to me.

"Who goes there?" the man called out in the language of the Romans. Surprised, I turned and looked to see a somewhat older man with a walking stick looking in my direction.

"What happened here? Where is everyone?" I asked. He snickered and held his arms out.

"What does it look like?" he asked. "Everyone is obviously gone. Who are you, anyway?" I told him my name, and he looked at me, funny, almost as if he couldn't make out my name.

"Are you Noric?" he asked.

"Yes," I said. He nodded his head and motioned for me to follow him. I did as he suggested, and we ended up at a small, rock building full of trinkets and swords laid out on wooden tables. I recognized the swords, as they were ones we had forged. But they looked old, worn, dirty, with signs of rust on the blades. How was this possible?

"By all means, call me Maximo. You look tired and hungry, young Celt," he said. "Would you like something to eat and drink?"

"Yes, I would like that very much," I said. "How much?"

"Hmm?" he asked, looking back at me, his eyebrows raised. "Oh, no, think nothing of it. The household gods would not be happy if I took advantage of a lost, hungry traveler. Please, accept my offering."

"Thank you, sir," I said, hoping my somewhat limited knowledge of his language didn't show. "Do you know what happened here?"

"Barbarians from the north and the west came through and leveled the place," Maximo said. "They raided several other villages before they were chased off."

"How long ago did this happen?" I asked.

"I guess about 35 years ago or thereabouts," Maximo said.

"That can't be," I said, shocked. "I was born in this village not more than 25 years ago." He looked at me funny, then chuckled as he pointed a finger at me.

"Ah, you are trying to make old Maximo laugh," he said with a smile. "I'm sorry, young Celt. But no one has been born in this place for 35 years."

"But my wife, my two boys... My father and brother. All my friends... Where did they go? What happened to them?" I asked, panicked. He came to me and put a hand on me to settle me down.

"Shh, calm down," he said. "Drink this," he added, handing me a cup of wine. I took a sip and let the liquid calm me down. "I heard that some of the women and children escaped and made their way to Noreia. The men bought them time with their lives."

That made sense to me. We had discussed what we would do if the village was ever attacked and overrun. And I knew my father and brother would stay with the men and defend the village while the women took the children away.

"Then I need to go to Noreia and find my wife and boys," I said.

"Perhaps tomorrow, after you have rested and regained your strength. You are welcome to stay with Maximo if you wish," he said. "Tomorrow, you can select a horse and pack for the trip. First, we eat."

He placed a wooden bowl filled with savory soup in front of me. It was delicious, filled with tiny bits of meat and vegetables and bits of what he called pasta. I don't remember what he called the soup, but it was tasty and quite filling.

"So, what do you do here, Maximo?" I asked as we ate.

"I collect what I can, clean it up, and sell it to travelers," he said. "I have been visited by all kinds of people -- soldiers, diplomats, couples looking for trinkets. You name it."

"These swords. Where did you find them?" I asked. "They look rather old."

"I found them in the dirt throughout the village," he said. "I cleaned them up as best as I could and offered them for sale. There is one sword, though, that I have not been able to get anyone interested in."

"Oh?" I asked. "And why is that?"

"It is much longer than anything used by the Romans. And heavier," he said. "Plus, the markings on it appear to be those of royalty. I'll show you." He went to a table and brought the large sword back to me.

I instantly recognized this sword. My father designed it specifically for the King, a powerful, large man who preferred to fight on horseback. The blade was meant to be used by a man on horseback and could rend a man in two with a single swipe if swung with enough power. My father hoped to present it as a gift to the King. It seems, though, that he never got the chance.

"I see you recognize it," Maximo said.

"Yes," I said. "My father designed it. He wanted to give it to the King."

"King? That explains the markings. But haven't you heard? Noricum is now a Roman province," Maximo said.

"I hadn't heard," I said.

"You say your father made that?" Maximo asked.

"Yes, he did," I said.

"Then you should keep it. To honor the memory of your father," the older man said.

"Thank you again, Maximo," I said, fighting tears. "That means a great deal to me."

"The shadows are getting long. It is nearly time to start the evening fire. Why don't we relax and get some sleep? Tomorrow, I will help you prepare for your journey," Maximo said. He started the fire after I helped bring wood into the house, and I watched in silence as he paid homage to his household gods. We then drank another cup of wine and fell asleep in front of the fire.

The next day, he took me out to a pen behind his house, where he kept a couple of horses. Both looked like strong, healthy animals, so I picked one out as Maximo put together a bedroll and a pouch filled with provisions. I offered to pay when we finished, but he refused, citing his gods.

"Please, Maximo," I said. "You fed me, gave me a place to sleep, and now this," I added, pointing to the horse and provisions. "At least let me give you a silver piece. To appease my gods." He thought for a moment, then nodded his head.

"If it appeases your gods, then so be it," he said. I handed him a silver piece from my pouch, and he looked at it, his brows furrowed.

"This looks to be fairly old," he said.

"It's still good, though, isn't it?" I asked.

"It is silver," he said with a smile. "Silver is always good." He stopped me before I could climb on the horse. "Remember Maximo in your thoughts, young Celt," he said.

"I will never forget you," I said. He smiled and nodded his head.

"I hope you find what it is you are looking for," he said.

"I hope so, too, Maximo," I said. "Thank you again. For everything." I climbed on the horse and headed out. It took me two full days to reach Noreia. Fortunately, the provisions Maximo gave me held out.

I sat on my horse and looked at the city walls in disbelief. I had been here once before when I visited the city with my father and brother. At that time, it was a bustling community, the fortress walls standing high above the manicured fields below. But now, it looked to be falling into disrepair. The fields weren't as carefully cultivated as before, and the walls appeared to be crumbling.

I rode into the city and looked around, hoping to catch a glimpse of my former life. Maybe my sons were still here, I thought. I rode around, paying particular attention to the open-air shops. But I saw nothing. Then it happened.

I was just outside a small market selling vegetables. That's where I saw her, a large wooden bowl in her arms filled with vegetables. She looked somewhat older than I remembered, but I could still make out her beautiful round face even through the wrinkles and crow's feet.

Her long beautiful blonde hair had turned gray, but it was still thick and luxurious, and she tied it behind her ears. I saw the family mark on her cheek and knew she had not taken another. It was then that our eyes locked. And I knew without a doubt this was my wife, my Noei.

Her eyes grew wide, and she dropped her bowl, the vegetables rolling hither and yon. I climbed off the horse, tied it to a nearby post, and ran to her. We held each other for dear life, tears streaming down our faces.

It would appear as though a mother was reunited with her long-lost son to the others who watched. But in reality, it was the embrace of two lovers, two soul mates who pledged each other their lives, their love, and their sacred honor.

"Noei, is that really you?" I asked. She looked at me and nodded her head, hot tears pouring down her face.

"Yes, my husband, it is really me," she said. "I've missed you so much. No one knew what happened to you. You just... disappeared. Your father and brother looked for you for days but couldn't find you. They returned, and half the men from the village went back. They looked and looked, but there was no sign of you anywhere. What happened?"

"I don't know," I said. "I was looking for ore when I saw a strange green light. The next thing I know, I'm... here. I went to the village, but it was gone. What happened to you? Where are the boys? Are my father and brother still alive?"

"About five years after you vanished, barbarians attacked the village. They had been raiding villages all along the river for a while. When they came, the women took the children out as we had planned, and the men stayed behind to fight and give cover," she said.

That wasn't because the women were wallflowers who needed protection -- far from it. Only a fool would scoff at a fully-armed and pissed off Celtic woman. It was simply the logical choice, given their cunning and fighting skills combined with their stealth and maternal instincts.

"They were all killed," she said quietly. "They bought us time with their lives."

"I should've been there," I said. She shook her head.

"No. You would've been killed with the rest. There were simply too many of them. One more blade wouldn't have made any difference," she said, tears running down her face.

"What then?" I asked.

"We came here as we planned. The King took pity on us and let us stay in the palace. I started working in the kitchen, and I still work there," she said. "I go out every day to buy food, and that's why I'm here."

"The boys? Where are they?" I asked.

"They're in the Roman Army," she said. "The last I heard, they went to Carthage and are heading east from there." I shook my head in disbelief.

"I see you're still wearing my mark," I said.

"That's right," she said. "A couple years after you disappeared, your father suggested I take another. I refused. I told him I would not until I saw your dead body. I knew in my heart you were still alive. And I was right. You are the only man I have ever been with. But you don't look like you've changed at all. You look the way you did the last time I saw you."

"And you're just as beautiful as the day we married," I told her. She smiled and shook her head.

"No, I'm not," she said. "I'm old and wrinkled. But you... You still look young."

"I can't explain it," I said. "I don't know what happened. I wish I did, but I don't."

"We have to be careful, though. The prince is on his way here now. I'll tell him you're my sister's child, and he'll probably let you stay with me," she said.

"Are you sure that's wise? Lying to the prince?" I asked.

"Just... trust me, please," she said. I nodded my head. I heard a group of horses coming up from behind us and looked. The prince climbed off his horse and walked toward us.

"Noei, are you alright?" he asked. "Is this man bothering you?"

"No, My Prince," she said. "This is my sister's son. He heard I was here and came to visit. With your permission, I'd like him to stay with me." The prince looked at me, and I thought I recognized him. But he was much younger when I saw him last.

"Of course, Noei. You look somewhat familiar to me," he said as he looked at me.

"I visited Noreia with my father when I was much younger, Excellency," I said. "Perhaps you may have seen me then."

"Perhaps," he said. "That is an interesting blade," he added, looking at the sword now hanging on my horse. "May I?"