Send in the Clowns Ch. 04

Story Info
Conclusion; new enemies and problems for the Iron Crowbar.
13.6k words
4.87
5k
4

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 05/29/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 17 - Seeds

10:00am, March 22d. Gasps could be heard throughout the Committee chamber as State Representative Tasheeka Harris had broken the agreement for SBI Director Masters's appearance by demanding he be sworn in and under oath.

"Objection!" Masters's attorney Mike G. Todd (yes, my attorney, too) yelled as he stood up. "Director Masters agreed to testify here only if he were not under oath------"

"What are you trying to hide?" hissed Tasheeka Harris. "Why won't you agree to be sworn in? And I'm asking you, Mr. Masters, not your attorney."

Wes Masters said "Because you agreed to host me here without me being sworn in."

"That is true." said Katherine Woodburn. "Let's move on------"

State Senator Maxine Watts (D - The City) yelled "Point of order! Will the witness volunteer to be sworn in and testify under oath? Otherwise, what's the point of listening to him at all?"

Mike G. Todd said "That was not the agreement, and my client will not testify under oath. Particularly now, since you have been dishonest in breaching the agreement by even asking him to testify under oath." He then bent over and whispered to Masters: "If you want to get up and leave, and I think you should, let's go now."

Masters whispered "Let's put the onus on them." He then said loudly: "I fully expect this Committee to honor its binding agreement, Madam Chair. If not, I'll just leave now."

Katherine Woodburn said "We will honor the agreement. The witness is not under oath, and will not be subject to perjury charges, especially for any forward-looking statements or opinions someone might disagree with. Mr. Masters, you may make your opening statement."

"Thank you, Madam Chair." said Masters. "I am honored to have been selected by Governor Marshall to be the Director of the State Bureau of Investigation, and I pledge to make the SBI the most competent and trustworthy State-level law enforcement entity in the nation. Much of the SBI is very good, and I will work tirelessly to make it even better."

Masters: "I will outline what I think the SBI is and should be going forward, and then make one suggestion that I believe will substantially improve the SBI and its ability to be of service to the Citizens of our State."

Masters: "First, I agree with Governor Marshall that the SBI's primary mission is to be an organization in support of the 96 counties of the State and the independent jurisdiction of The City. Our role is to be available to assist them with information and resources to solve crimes in their jurisdictions, such as making available the resources of our State and Regional Intelligence Center, the SRIC."

Masters: "We are also there to assist multiple jurisdictions where lines on a politically drawn map are crossed, helping to coordinate the flow of information between jurisdictions and assisting in apprehending the perpetrators and returning them to the correct jurisdiction for trial. My vision and goal for this is that we work with the local jurisdictions, not over them."

Masters: "Second, the State Inspector General is also the SBI's Office of Ethics and Review Inspector. It is the mission of SBI Inspector General Britt Maxwell to be the oversight of local and State Government malfeasance issues, and it is the SBI's role to support her in that mission. The State Inspector General is independent and not under the SBI Director's control, and should not be, but it is my mission to support Inspector Maxwell in her work."

Masters: "I will add here that this State is extremely fortunate to have someone of Inspector Maxwell's integrity and abilities in that role. She and her outstanding team in the SBI-OER are some of the very best LEOs in the world, much less the State, and we are very much the better for having her and them."

There was some applause in the audience, and then Masters continued: "Again, our mission is not to take over cases from local jurisdictions, but to support them. In that capacity, we have over time determined weaknesses in the organizational structure of the SBI, and I have submitted a proposal to mitigate them."

Masters named the current divisions within the SBI, then said "First, let me give this example of the problem: the Black Velvet Killer, George Aurus, was recently in the news. His serial crimes several years ago covered jurisdictions from Nextdoor County to The City. One of his victims found in Nextdoor County was a resident of the Town & County and worked there. Two material witnesses in the case fled from Nextdoor County to The City. And then crime scenes were found in other jurisdictions."

Masters: "That particular case was solved by the Iron Crowbar, Donald Troy, who is currently the SBI Reserve Inspector. In his SBI role, Inspector Troy was able to work in the multiple jurisdictions, and he worked with the local jurisdictions to apprehend the fleeing material witnesses, gather evidence, and ultimately capture the Black Velvet Killer."

Masters: "Another example is the cases of using moving vans to steal people's belongings and selling them on the black market. This was happening all over the State, including Midtown and the Town & County, and then there was a murder involved, again in the Town & County. The local jurisdictions worked well together to solve them, again under Donald Troy's example of cooperative leadership." (Author's note: 'Shipping And Handling'.)

Masters: "The problem is that while Commander Troy is an outstanding leader and the very best Detective I've ever seen, he can't be everywhere at once. And in those particular cases I mentioned, he was bridging a gap that the SBI structure itself has. We can pull and stretch the blanket, so to speak, to cover some things, but none of the SBI divisions explicitly cover murder and crimes of violence."

Masters: "Therefore, I propose a new division, a 'Crimes of Violence' division, whose Agents will be able to, and be responsible for, assisting local jurisdictions with investigations that don't quite fit into the other categories..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hey, that's a good idea." I said as the Sheriff, Cindy, and I watched in the Sheriff's office. "The only thing wrong with it is that I didn't think of it first."

"What?" Cindy said, stunned. "It wasn't you that suggested it to him?" I shook my head...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Director Masters," said State Senator Cain Mitchell (Establishment Republican - Rocktown), "will you direct the SBI to continue the racist policies of the previous Governor to persecute hardworking Undocumented Workers by rounding them up like cattle and turning them over to ICE?"

Masters: "Thank you for that question, Senator. Immigration is largely a Federal issue, but the SBI will follow the law, and we will assist local jurisdictions in arresting perps that break the law in those jurisdictions. And if those perps are Illegal Persons, we will assist ICE in arresting them for deportation or to face Federal charges as the situation warrants."

Mitchell: "So do you or don't you consider rounding up hardworking Undocumented Workers... and I find your use of the term 'Illegal Persons' to be offensive... do you consider that to be the primary mission of the IDE division?"

Masters: "Rounding up Illegal Persons is one of the missions of the SBI and the IDE branch in particular, but it is not the exclusive nor primary mission of the unit. I am far more interested in getting filthy drugs off our streets. But people who are here illegally are by definition 'Illegal Persons', and I really don't care if you and your U.S. Chamber of Commerce and Club For Growth donors don't like it."

There was much rustling and muttering in the chamber when that was said. Katherine Woodburn tapped her gavel to get order.

When it was Katherine Woodburn's time, she asked: "Director Masters, you gave examples of multi-jurisdictional crimes, and it seemed that the common thread was that Commander Donald Troy took over those cases. While I agree with you that the Iron Crowbar is an exceptional leader and a great Detective, a once-in-a-generation talent in those capacities, don't you agree that it would be proper for your SBI Agents to take the lead in those types of cases?"

"No, Madam Chair." Masters said clearly. "It might happen, and if the local jurisdictions request it we can do that. But it shouldn't be considered to be automatic nor proper to take over cases and be ordering local jurisdictions around. That's been a huge problem with the SBI in the past, running roughshod over local jurisdictions."

Masters: "The City Police actually had standing orders once to shoot on sight and kill SBI Agents in The City's jurisdiction, and other local jurisdictions refused to help or support investigations the SBI took over in overbearing fashion. And I'll add that in this State, and generally around the whole country, the local Sheriff is the supreme law enforcement entity of the jurisdiction, not the SBI."

Katherine Woodburn did not show anything on her face, but she responded by saying "Director Masters, Commander Donald Troy attempted to put together a unit called the SBI-SIS. It utterly failed, partly because local jurisdictions simply refused to call in the SBI. The same thing happened to the SBI Reserve program." (Author's note: 'Chef's Special', Ch. 01 for the creation of the SBI-SIS; 'The French Connection', Ch. 03 for the end of the SIS and SBI Reserve.)

Woodburn: "My point is that unless the SBI has jurisdictional authority over the counties and local LEO jurisdictions, they won't call in the SBI nor work with them. So what do you intend to do when that issue comes up?"

Masters: "If they don't call us in, or refuse our help, then it is what it is, Madam Chair. The SBI is a support organization, not an overbearing Gestapo unit like the Feds and U.S. Attorney General Derrick B. Harland are trying to turn the FBI into."

There were more gasps at that truth-bomb by Masters. Katherine tapped her gavel, then called upon the next Legislator.

Some moments later, it was Tasheeka Harris's turn. And that's when the fight started.

Harris: "Mister Masters, the SBI did nothing while the Town & County's Police exercised Police brutality against peacefully protesting People of Color last summer, including murdering civil rights leader Jacquez Wilson and reporter Lester Holder." (Author's note: 'Consequences', particularly Ch. 04.)

Harris: "Can you assure this Committee that the SBI will investigate these racially-motivated crimes, especially those committed by white racist Commander Donald Troy, and bring whites that commit race-based crimes to justice? And in the future will you intervene and oppose the violence of white cops led by Troy, and do to them what they do to peaceful Persons of Color?"

None of the other Legislators stood up to protest the dishonest premises of those statements. The Democrats heartily agreed with the presumptions, and the Republicans were for the most part too gutless, too cowardly to make a stand for the Truth.

But Wes Masters handled it well as he replied: "I'll answer that with three points. First, as I stated before, oversight of local jurisdictions as well as unethical State Legislators is the purview and mission of the State Inspector General. She is independent of me, and while the SBI will assist her when she requests it, that is her lane, her playground, so to speak. The SBI-OER would be the entity to investigate the alleged crimes you brought up."

"Second," continued Masters, "we are named the State Bureau of Investigation. We investigate crimes. The State Patrol enforces laws, working with local jurisdictions, and they have some specialized SWAT-type teams for dangerous situations. The SBI's IDE also has some specialized teams, but they're for rounding up Illegal Persons and turning them over to ICE, as well as to interdict drug operations, not for opposing local law enforcement entities that are enforcing the law."

Masters: "And that segues to my third point: I object to the premises of your question, Representative Harris. Commander Troy and the TCPD did not exercise Police brutality against peaceful protesters, but stopped violent criminals that were harming people and damaging property. The TCPD did not murder anyone; Jacquez Wilson illegally had explosives in his building, and they detonated. Lester Holder was aiding and abetting the wanted fugitive Jacquez Wilson, and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. That was his problem, not Commander Troy's." (Author's note: 'Consequences', Ch. 04.)

Masters: "And Commander Troy does not discriminate against Blacks. He arrests perpetrators of any and every ethnicity that commits them. George Aurus is white; Commander Troy arrested him without a peep from you. Commander Troy and the TCPD have taken down Latino drug and prostitution rings, without a peep from you." (Author's note: 'Town & County Confidential', Ch. 01.)

Masters: "And furthermore to this point: if a black person is arrested by Police, it doesn't matter to you that he or she was arrested because he or she committed a crime; you're just going to say it's because he or she is Black. Right now, the biggest threat for organized violence is not Blacks, but Environmentalists, who are mostly white. And Commander Troy will arrest them if they commit violence, just as he arrested violent agitators last year without regard to ethnicity. And just because you keep repeating the lie doesn't mean it will ever be true. It's not------"

"You're a racist!" Tasheeka Harris yelled. "Madam Chair, THIS is why that white racist should be under oath! So that he can be thrown in jail for perjury and his racism!"


*tap* *tap* *tap* *tap*

So went Katherine Woodburn's gavel. "The Representative will suspend... the Representative will suspend!"

"You're a racist too!" yelled Tasheeka Harris. "And you're just enablers of Troy's white Police violence against People of Color! And the SBI under this racist cop Masters, who did nothing to white City Police cops that beat down People of Color on the City streets, is just as bad!------"

*WHAM!* *WHAM!* *WHAM!* *WHAM!*

"Enough!" yelled Woodburn as she slammed the gavel harder and harder. "Sergeant-At-Arms, remove Representative Harris from the chamber."

The Sergeant-At-Arms, who was black, came up with four State Capitol Police, two of whom were women. When those women grabbed Harris, she fought them... and lost. Her face and chest were slammed to the bench in front of her, handcuffs affixed behind her, and she was roughly half-walked, half-dragged out of the room, screaming racist epithets all the way.

And wouldn't you know it... next was State Senator Maxine Watts (D - The Badlands of The City). "Madam Chair, I simply want to respond to that last exchange between the SBI Director and the State Representative from Inner Midtown. Mister Masters, many of her points are valid. You can repeat the denial all you want, but you will never, ever, convince People of Color that Commander Troy's brutality was anything but racially motivated. You will never, ever, convince People of Color that Breonna Bryant's show trial and unjust incarceration was anything but racially motivated oppression of People of Color." (Author's note: 'Big In Japan', Ch. 03-04 for the Bryant trial.)

Blacks in the gallery and audience had applauded, and Watts paused. But as the applause died down, the silence became awkward. Wes Masters didn't speak. Maxine Watts finally said "Do you have anything to say about that?"

Masters: "If the Black Community won't see the truth of those cases, it's because you won't let them, since you use racial violence as a tool to increase your political power. I'll finish my response to you with this question: do you think what Jacquez Wilson did to a white female Police Officer, abducting her, beating her, raping her, and almost murdering her, was justified? Was that okay in any way at all?"

Maxine Watts was filled with furious anger and hatred as she yelled "That Cracker cop got what she deserved! She got what was coming to her!"

As gasps filled the room, Katherine Woodburn tapped her gavel and said "The Senator will suspend."

"I yield back the balance of my time." Maxine Watts said smugly...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You did talk to Coldiron." Cindy said to me. "It had to be you that talked about the Environmentalists you hate so much."

"Well, yeah." I replied. "But I called them 'Environmentalist Wackos', the name the great Rush Limbaugh gave them. Coldiron was much nicer and more reserved in his description of them. And yes, Cindy, I do believe our next confrontation with violent agitators will be with the Environmentalist Wackos."

"If you'll excuse me, Sheriff, I'll go back to my office." Cindy said, getting up. The Sheriff nodded and Cindy got up and left.

"You really shouldn't goad her like that." growled Griswold. "I know you and she are on opposite sides of the political spectrum, but there's no reason to rile her up."

"Yes sir." I said. "But I wasn't kidding, nor trying to goad her, when I say that I think the Green Shirts will be the next group to gin up trouble... in complete collusion and cooperation with the biased, dishonest, and corrupt Mainstream Media..."

Part 18 - Something In The Way

1:15pm, Monday, March 22d. The Sheriff and I were eating a late lunch at the Cop Bar after watching the hearing.

"I thought Masters did very well." the Sheriff said. "Of course he said everything most of those Legislators didn't want to hear. But someone has to tell the truth, and out loud, and I'm glad Masters did."

I said "Yes sir, and I agree. But after Tasheeka Harris's rant and Maxine Watts's pure racist hatred, everyone else pretty much backed off getting controversial with anything."

"Why do they keep ginning up that stuff?" the Sheriff asked.

I knew he was asking rhetorically, but I still answered: "At this point, Sheriff, it's nothing more than Leftwing politicians using race to enhance their political power, just like Masters said to Maxine Watts."

"I think it's more, Crowbar." growled the Sheriff. "The far Left has incrementally but consistently become more and more violent. It used to be political rhetoric, but now they demonstrate at the drop of a hat...and those demonstrations turn violent at the drop of a hat------"

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my cellphone, and it was Captain Claire Michaels.

"Sir," she said, "Nadine Hall is here. She says she was hired by Vanessa Bright, and she wants to talk to you about a plea deal."

"Okay, I'll be there in a few minutes------"

"Sir, there's more." Claire said, "D.A. Walters and ADA Fineman are also here..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

1:25pm. Sheriff Griswold and I practically hurtled into Police Headquarters. Claire Michaels met us as were walking down the hallway.

"The suspect and her attorney are in I-1." Claire said. "Fineman tried to go in there, but Commander Croyle stopped her. D.A. Walters started screaming at her, and the SWAT Team came pouring out of their room to see what was going on, so Walters shut up------"