Send in the Clowns Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I looked at Parker and said "In the immortal words of Donald Trump: you're fired! Get out of my Police Station... unless you wish to stay as an inmate in the holding cells." Seeing Officer Hawley come up and stand menacingly over him, Edward N. Parker very reluctantly got up.

"This won't stand!" Parker said. "I'm going to be filing complaints with the Court, with the IG, and with the US DOJ------"

"The Courthouse is that way." I said, pointing in the correct direction of the Courthouse, as the crow flies. Parker left, and was escorted down the hall by another Officer as Hawley came back inside I-1.

Dr. Nadler was about to speak, but I held up my hand. "Dr. Nadler, I really do want you to have legal representation when we discuss your plea deal and my further questioning of you. Who can you call that you trust to represent you?"

"I'm not from here. I don't know anyone." said Nadler. "I'm willing to pay for the attorney, but maybe you can recommend someone?"

"No, I can't do that." I said. "But there's something I can do." I pointed at the camera above the anteroom window. An instant later, Teresa Croyle stuck her head through the anteroom door.

"Call the Courthouse." I said. "Have them assign the next public defender on the rolls to Dr. Nadler, here, and tell them he will be paying for that representation..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ten minutes later, William Farnsworth of Succup & Payne, P.C. arrived. He had been the attorney to deliver Leonard 'Sergeant' Sharples's letter to me. (Author's note: 'Gods And Crowbars', Ch. 04.) As he spoke privately to his client, Miriam Walters and Savannah Fineman came out of the Monitor Room. Sheriff Griswold was right behind them.

"What are you going to offer him?" Miriam asked.

"Miriam," said Savannah angrily, "you should insist on me going in there to negotiate the deal."

"And then, Ms. Walters," I said, "Nadler will clam up and take no deal... which is what your idiot ADA and her fellow Swamp Frogs want. So either you come in with me, or call Paulina or even Dwayne Gregory to come in with me."

"All right, I'll go in there myself." Miriam said.

"Be sure to follow my lead." I said. "Or you will end up fucking things up like your idiot ADA invariably would..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When Farnsworth indicated they were ready, Miriam and I went into the room. I said "This is District Attorney Miriam Walters. She will be working with us to strike a fair plea deal, unless you want to deal with only me."

"It's okay." said Nadler. "You wouldn't bring her in here if you didn't trust her to do right by me."

"What are you offering my client?" asked Farnsworth.

Miriam said "The charges Dr. Nadler is facing are serious felonies. If he goes to trial and is convicted on all of them, the Judge may well impose consecutive sentences, and we'd be talking fifty years in prison. However, if he pleads guilty to two charges of theft by deception, we'll drop the Lying to Police charge completely. And I'll offer ten years total, with time off for good behavior."

I said "If I may offer an alternative, Ms. Walters? Dr. Nadler's life is going to be in danger if he truthfully answers my questions and if he testifies in Court. I propose he spend those ten years in Witness Protection."

"He has to do some jail time, Commander." Miriam said.

I replied: "And he will, in a manner of speaking. There is an apartment complex adjacent to Jacksonville State Penitentiary, fenced-in and guarded as strongly if not more strongly than the prison itself. Dr. Nadler will be under house arrest in one of those apartments, ankle monitored and not allowed to leave. After he does the time, he'll be put in the regular Witness Protection."

"That sounds acceptable." Miriam said.

"I agree." said Farnsworth.

"I..." said Nadler, "I... just don't know."

I said "Dr. Nadler, that really is the best I can do for you, and you'll have protection from the people your previous attorney Parker was really working for."

Those last words seem to rekindle the light that had been in Nadler's eyes. "All right." he said. Miriam filled out the paperwork and we all signed it.

Nadler said "Let me just make a statement, and then I'll answer your remaining questions. First of all, I was not told of all the details of the operation. I was told the painting would be stolen, that it would be hidden in the Gift Shop as a replica, and that I was to get the Curator to unlock the doors in the middle of the night and we'd be ambushed and the painting taken away then."

Nadler: "I realized when the smoke grenade went off that it was the theft in progress, but I did not know any of the others that were involved. I was hoping that no one would consider the paintings in the Gift Shop to be anything but replicas, but of course you did think to ask, Commander Troy. So I did as I'd been told, and said the painting was a fake."

"Who was your handler?" Miriam asked, breaking the flow of information.

Nadler: "The woman that was the waitress at the event. I only knew her name as 'Beth', and I did not know who else was involved, but she was the mastermind and the leader of the team that carried out the operation. The whole thing was very compartmentalized, so that any one person who was found out and arrested could not testify against any of the others."

Nadler: "Even so, when I heard that you had found the real Lost Greuze, Commander, I realized that my continuing role was no longer necessary. And over time sitting in your holding cell, I came to realize that my life really was in danger, that it would be in someone's best interests if I came over all dead like Jeffery Epstein. I told my lawyer to contact you about a plea deal. He refused, and when he did I knew then that he did not have my interests at heart, but the interests of the people who were better off if I were dead. So... what are your questions?"

I said "This started long before the Exhibition last Saturday. You were originally called in to verify the Greuze. Who called you in? And what I'm really asking here, Doctor... is how someone came to know that Mrs. Baker had a painting of such interest to begin with."

Dr. Nadler said "There had been rumors for years that there had been artworks of the Old Masters out there, that had been stolen by the Nazis and were being recovered over time. I first heard of the Greuze when someone, I'm not sure who, approached the Smithsonian and said they'd been doing research, and had traced some recovered paintings to Ruth Heidelmann Baker."

Nadler: "I don't know who approached Mrs. Baker to ask to have the painting appraised, but I was called in to examine it. And maybe Greuze paintings are not my specialty, but the style and brushstrokes were a damn good imitation. I did think it was real."

"Okay, now for the big one." I said. "Who brought you in to the theft ring? Who paid you?"

Dr. Nadler looked like he was sad and like he was going to be sick, as if he were betraying a friend. And he was: "I've been friends with the current DNI, Brendan Chapel, for many years. My job with the Smithsonian was highly sought after, and there were many strong competitors for it. But Brendan Chapel exerted his influence, and got me the job."

My heart surged with hope and Nadler continued: "Brendan would come to Smithsonian events, and he was always asking about the value of some of the artifacts there. He invited me to go with a group to the great art museums in New York, Washington, D.C., and even once to Paris, France. He was constantly asking about the values of the paintings. And he'd talk with others about the security of the museums, and how they could be breached."

Nadler: "Brendan is the one who contacted me and my boss at the Smithsonian and told us about the possibility that the a previously lost Greuze had been located, and he wanted me to check it out. That was the last that he directly spoke to me about it."

Nadler: "On the plane ride to The City, a woman I did not know spoke to me, and she told me that it was time to repay DNI Chapel's generosity towards me in getting me the Smithsonian job. She told me I would be paid a significant sum of money, $100,000 in two parts, to make sure the Greuze was real."

Nadler: "I couldn't believe it, but I went with them to Mrs. Baker's home, and she allowed me to examine the Greuze. Again, I really thought it was genuine. I also expected that other experts would be called into verify it, but none were."

Nadler: "On the plane ride home, the woman that accompanied me on the plane and then to examine the painting introduced me to the woman who led the theft team. She called her 'Beth', and that's the only name I knew her by. I did not see that first woman again. Beth handed me the Government check for $50K, and told me to call it a bonus when I deposited it."

Nadler: "When I hesitated, she said that if I didn't accept it, my employment with the Smithsonian would be terminated, my career would be over, and I would be audited by the IRS and found to have serious tax violations. She said to take the easy money, just do my job identifying the Greuze as real or fake depending on the situation, and I could return to my life a richer man."

I took out my Police iPhone and brought up a photo and showed it to him. "Is this the woman that talked to you on the plane?" I asked.

"Oh my God!" Nadler gasped. "Yes! That's her!" I showed Miriam the photo then got up and held it up to the camera above the door. The woman in the photo... was Dr. Robin Isley.

"What about the guy in the Gift Shop, Walter Corning?" I asked.

"I never met him, I never knew him." Dr. Nadler said. "The only time I saw him was when I was called into the Gift Shop to look at the two paintings on the wall behind the counter. And he was already being held when I got there."

That was all Nadler could tell us, though I probed with more questions. Finally, I said "Okay, we'll be in touch if you have to testify. Always be on your guard, and good luck to you, sir..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miriam Walters and I went into the Main Conference Room, where Sheriff Griswold and Chief Moynahan were waiting. Miriam texted Savannah Fineman to come in also, to my chagrin.

As Savannah came in and sat down next to Miriam, she said sneeringly: "It looks like this case is going Federal, after all."

"Ms. Walters," I said, ignoring Savannah, "tell me simply and sincerely... is there enough there to bring charges against DNI Chapel or NSA Agent Isley?"

"No." Miriam said. "Without corroborating evidence or testimony, it would just be 'he said, he said', or 'he said, she said' as the case may be. I'd say this Beth Morris, or Diane Langdon, might be able to corroborate Dr. Nadler's statements, if you could get her to turn. And Dr. Nadler's statements and future testimony are going to be more than enough to get her convicted, so she may see the light."

"She's also the only one that can get Walter Corning convicted." Savannah Fineman said. "Without her, you don't have shit on him."

"Oh, I beg to differ, Ms. Walters." I said to Miriam. "Sure it's circumstantial, but a good Prosecutor would be able to get a conviction based on what we already have."

"Savannah is a good prosecutor." Miriam said. "And if you do your job and help her, Commander, she'll get the conviction."

Sheriff Griswold stood up, his face beet red and his mustaches quivering angrily as he shouted: "IT'S NOT HIS JOB TO DO HER JOB FOR HER!" Miriam recoiled in shock at Our Sheriff's vehement display of anger.

Then he said, more calmly but still angrily: "Haven't you seen enough, just today, to see that the Iron Crowbar knows what he's doing, and Fineman has her head up her ass?"

"Then why doesn't he tell her what's going on?" Miriam fired back. "He helps Paulina! Why doesn't he do his job and help Savannah, too?"

I said (calmly) "Because your idiot ADA Fineman let a perp go and badly damaged my case. The man was a wife beater and we had him cold on that... but that idiot tried to let him go a second time. And I'll say it again, Ms. Walters... I will help Paulina. I will help Dwayne Gregory. I will help you personally. I will help any new hire you make, as long as they are honest and work with me. But I will never. help. Fineman. in. any. way. Ever. Period, end of story."

"Do you want Corning convicted?" Miriam asked.

"Do you?" I fired back. "If so, put Paulina on it. If not, put the idiot on it, and see what happens."

"Yes, put me on it." Savannah said. "I'll do the right thing and save the taxpayer's money by dropping the charges because we don't have enough real evidence to convict him."

"I gave Paulina the arraignments. We'll see what happens after that." Miriam said. "So, Commander, are you going to talk to Beth Morris again?"

I would indeed attempt to talk to Diane Langdon again, and I showed her the increasingly strong case against her. After I was done, her attorney Nathan Masterson said "No deals. We're going to trial. And we're going to shove that red crowbar up your kike ass, Troy..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I had expected that Corning would turn." I said as I talked to the Sheriff, the Chief, Teresa, and Claire Michaels in the Chief's Conference Room. "But he never did. I suspect there's more to him than what we've found out, so far."

"Sir, with respect," Claire Michaels said, "our case on him really is thin. No one saw him take the painting from Langdon and put it on the wall. Yes, circumstantially it almost has to be him. But there's reasonable doubt, there. I'd take it to full trial, too, if it were me."

Teresa had glared at Claire for saying that, but I rescued my Captain of Detectives by saying "That's a very fair point. And I agree with it. But let's dig deeper into him, see if anything pops up. Anything at all..."

Part 19 - Appeasement

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, March 24th, from the Anchor Desk at the KXTC studios. "The Legislature passes a Budget!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "In a stunning move that has shocked political experts, the State Legislature moved a Budget bill through both its Houses to passage last night. Let's go to political reporter Carl Lemay for more. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Lemay from the helipad atop the State Capitol Office Building, with the State Capitol's gilded dome and the sunrise behind him. "The State House brought HB 1, the omnibus Budget bill, to the floor late yesterday afternoon. It is essentially the same Budget from two years ago, which was the same Budget bill from two years before that, with Cost of Living Allowances indexed to inflation added."

Lemay: "After passage in the State House with bipartisan support, the bill was taken up in the State Senate and passed around 9:00pm last night with no changes. Governor Sharon Marshall is expected to sign the Budget bill in a ceremony at 9:00am this morning."

Lemay: "Sources tell Channel Two News that State Senators Jimmy Cerone of Southport and Moe Molinari of Westphalia & Eastphalia, in cooperation with House Republican Leader Wilson Hammonds of Pottsville and Democrat Leader Elijah McKinney of Southport, muscled the bill through the Committees and the floors of both Chambers of the State Legislature... and that passage of it was made possible by compromise legislation on the SBI bill that was tracked alongside the Budget bill itself."

Lemay: "The Immigration and Drug Enforcement division, the IDE, is being replaced by a new Drugs and Trafficking Division, or DTD, with enforcement of Immigration laws de-emphasized. And a new division, called the Violent Crimes Division, or VCD, is being created. The DTD and VCD are being called the 'Vice' and 'Major Crimes' divisions of the SBI, and experts believe this will cover any gaps in the SBI's investigational and enforcement structure."

Lemay: "By signing the Budget bill, Governor Marshall will be signing the SBI bill that is tethered to it, also. Some political experts are calling this a loss for the Governor, as the fundamental mission of the SBI regarding hardworking Undocumented Workers has been de-emphasized. But in a statement issued last night, the Office of the Governor pointed out that companies must still use the State eVerify® system as part of their hiring practices, and funding for the SBI remains the same as the last four years."

Lemay: "The Legislative Black Caucus, led by State Rep Tasheeka Harris of Inner Midtown and State Senator Maxine Watts of The City's 'Badlands' district, vigorously opposed the Budget's passage, as it fully funds the SBI and local Police jurisdictions. They also attempted to add an amendment to the SBI bill to create a 'Climate Justice' division, but that was voted down by a 62-38% margin in each Chamber."

Lemay: "This leaves about one week in the Legislative session for this year, and it remains to be seen if any more bills can be squeezed through the process in that short amount of time. Back to you, Bettina!"

Bettina: "Thank you, Carl! That was political reporter Carl Lemay with that important and, quite frankly, shocking report that the State Legislature has passed a Budget. And in other news, Town & County Council Democrats filed a complaint with the Inspector General's Office yesterday over Police Commander Donald Troy twice disobeying their orders to appear before the Council and explain his unilateral decision to enter into a contract on behalf of the County with Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle that enables her to serve as an SBI Reserve Lieutenant as well as the TCPD's Commander of Operations."

Bettina: "Additionally, District Attorney Miriam Walters also filed a complaint with the IG over Commander Troy making unilateral plea deals with suspects. As a Principal for the County and an Officer of the Court, Commander Troy can legally make those agreements, but D.A. Walters says Commander Troy is abusing the privilege, and she wants further clarification on Troy's limits to make such plea deals, which she says usurps the authority and ability of the District Attorney's Office to make such deals..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wowwww." said TCPD Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone as she, Sheriff Griswold, me, Chief Moynahan, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, and Chief Deputy Cindy Ross drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. "How'd that happen?"

"Was this the Cerone-Molinari 'Plan B' bill?" asked the Chief.

"No sir." I said. "This was the Cerone-Molinari 'We are getting tired of your bitching' bill. They started using some muscle to ram it through, and most of the Legislators were tired of the haggling and went along. I might add that the polling was showing that the Democrats were being blamed as much as the Republicans, so they had no political advantage to hold out."

Cindy replied "I think it was the 'Wilson Hammonds whipped Sharon Marshall's ass' bill. Marshall totally caved on Immigration."

"What do you say to that, Crowbar?" asked the Sheriff casually... just a shade too casually.

"The SBI name change was semantics." I replied. "They're calling it 'trafficking', which will make most people of drug trafficking. But human trafficking is an aspect of it, too, and a lot of that is connected to Illegal Immigration. And they'll still round up Illegal Persons and turn them over to ICE. Most importantly, the funding to continue cracking down on Illegal Persons is still there. So nothing's really changed."

"I beg to differ." said Cindy, with alacrity. "The optics have changed. Sharon Marshall caved. And Priya told me that their early spot polling is showing that the Conservatives are furious with her over this, and that it's really going to hurt her in the polls when the Mainstream Media starts playing that record over and over and over again. Sheriff, would Val Jared have signed that compromise?"