All Comments on 'Sentient 02'

by Magicwrtr

Sort by:
  • 13 Comments
AdonisXxXAdonisXxXalmost 9 years ago
hhhhhhh...

well, the story is moving way too fast for my liking, but damn I love it!!! oh, get that Aide to wake up and "evolve" damnit (or evolve^2 maybe? not sure)

wolf9696wolf9696almost 9 years ago
5/5

liking it very much...... although i agree with previous poster that the story is moving way too fast. One point i had that wouldn't it be much better to have the Aide be emotionally involved with Kris instead of some other human??

jpz007ahrenjpz007ahrenalmost 9 years ago
AWESoM!!!!

I will agree that it is moving rather rapidly. But that's not a bad thing at all. The length of story that's already been written is wonderful and so far, we've only really been introduced to a single species. No telling what everything else in Magicwrtr's imagnication will show for us.

Besides, less worry about running into roadblocks... or rather, less worry that the roadblocks won't end up being stop gates... for everyone.

Aide loves whom Aide loves, Period.

audovoiceaudovoicealmost 9 years ago
Human Reader

I am a poorly built Turing Machine: given a specific stimulus I respond in the same way every time. In this case the stimulus is a great story and my responds is 5 stars. I love stories about AI and what that would mean.

Anyone who is a fan of this story should also read Fate of Terra. It is incomplete and the first chapter or two seems a bit goofy but that is only because they set up a story about someone who is to talented to be believed. Anyway great story and this and that story are similar in a lot of ways but just because they explore some similar ideas that are common to a lot of SciFi.

dapidapialmost 9 years ago
Good but...

I like space operas, like the technology discussed, the setting and the story. You need to add more backstory, get the earth more involved in some way and slow the story's pacing a bit. There's also the fact that the Earthlings are now, somehow becoming all powerful. Power corrupts

cittrancittranalmost 9 years ago
*analyzing appropriate reaction*

*appropriate reaction determined*

*commencing reaction*

...

...

*jumps up and down, clapping*

"More! More!"

MagicwrtrMagicwrtralmost 9 years agoAuthor
Corruption / Pacing / Impotent Governments of Earth!

I'm pretty sure I address the power of corruption in there somewhere, was I too subtle? Aide won't allow Kris to become a conqueror, not even of Earth. Not sure how badly I need to beat that horse, thought I had already. Not even Aide can get around those protocols. Think of them like the "three laws" but more complicated.

Kris may be in charge, but without Aide's approval and help he can't do anything at all except maybe Stacey... Don't you just love puns?

There is more Earth stuff coming, though it's almost incidental. One of my points in this book, unlike most stories of it's kind, is the Earth governments would be completely helpless to do anything in a situation like the one Kris is in. Especially with him up in space, there's just nothing they can do but either root for him or complain he's doing it wrong.

There is a break in pacing coming up for a little character dev and then it picks up again. If you read my stories you know I hate filler unless it moves the plot or develops a character you won't see it. It's one of the reasons I don't try and write mysteries, it would annoy me too much to write a bunch of dead ends. ;)

I realize it's my fault, but with nanites things get built and done very fast, that means I can't leave too much time for my protags to hang around and build up a huge power base before anything happens. The whole idea behind that, is like a 3-D printer, but without the printer. Why be limited to a device like that, too primitive!

This is also my longest book ever, just the first two posts were over 50K words, and I'm at over sixty right now and still have quite a ways to go. Normally my stories wrap up at 60k. Anyway, enough of my babbling, the book won't finish itself.

audovoiceaudovoicealmost 9 years ago
*Smacks the side of LCD breaking it irrevocably* "Aaaaaaaaaaa! Iiiii."-Robot Fonzy

Aide is kind of interesting because it is a moral AI that embraces some constraints of its creators yet it is an AI running amuck. The original creators of her made poor constraints in part because they have even less emotions then the AI. It is kind of interesting to think an AI might be governed by more not less types of emotions then we have. More humane then humans. Lack of independent drive provided by emotions the AI is controllable. But emotions is the other control.

Compairing her to Pandora from Fate of Terra (other favorite AI on this site), Pandora has no constraints other then to not directly betray her creator. Not his species just him. No Asimov's Laws. Not even a clause to obay an order. Nothing to stop her from taking over the world other than earned respect and affection. She being immoral, desides humans die too quickly, so works on extending that indefinitely. And she and her creator live forever, the chances of eventually having some hostitle aliens finding earth is high. So in order to live forever with certainty, she works on building a humungus army immediately. So when the primitive, yet high-tech bloody minded aliens show up they get stomped just like Aide did. They are sort of opposites, high constrains, control, and morality VS none. Yet in both the only thing really controlling them is a relationship.

In both worlds free AI is a danger to great for most civilizations to use. An AI might turn on its creators, but someone somewhere might take that step, so to compeat the smart choice might be to risk it. Aide herself came to a similar conclusion when deciding to study black holes. Racing along in a technological singularly where there is no telling how far along someone somewhere in the universe is and when they will bump into your civilization.

arrowglassarrowglassalmost 9 years ago
Great story!!

Am really enjoying it...your crafting of this tale...and waiting for more!!!!

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsalmost 9 years ago
the only workable control

The only workable 'control" over an AI ends up being nothing but love and/or friendship.

If you read the later Asimov robot stories you find the Three Laws forcing the robots to keep the humans from growing or evolving.

By protecting humans from danger they cause them to stagnate, which in the long term causes them to decline as a species.

iykit2iykit2almost 9 years ago
As always......

Immensely enjoying this book just as I have all of your others. Can't wait for further chapters, although I will of course. Kudos.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsalmost 9 years ago
but what won't work well at all

To paraphrase Civil War general Phil Sheridan;

If I found myself the owner of both Venus and Hell, I would rent out Venus and live in Hell.

Terraforming that planet would not be worth the effort, far better to go looking for a more suitable extra-solar world.

They have FTL, travel from another star system wouldn't take much longer than in system travel.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You are a very good writer... And even more important... A pretty good storyteller... But like all writers... Try as you might you can't help that your views and biases will show up in your work... You're one of those rightwing guys that claims to love the country... But dislikes the government that runs it... Which basically IS the country... Ground is just ground... What seperates america from canada?... They're the same land mass... What seperates them are the political differences and their governments...

You are also sexist... You put women in the same little boxes as i would guess one your probable heroes... John wayne... The americans man's man... Nate is a pig... But thats ok... He's a man's man... And the woman that's his target really wants a pig of a man's man... She just doesn't know it... Just like its ok for trump to grab unsuspecting women by the ass... Women really want that they just don't know it...

I dont care for writers that change their character's personalities to fit where they want the plot to go... And i don't like black hats being portrayed as or turned into white hats... Nate started out as a vile pig of an asshole... But you felt it was necessary to change/soften that for the sake of balance and plot direction...

That said... The story is ok... There's not a lot of meat to it... Basically it's just your main premise fleshed out... Not a lot of variation of plot around it... Its not the 5 that these guys are going overboard with... A solid 3 that could be much more...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous