Seven Falls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Greg nodded and moved off with the others.

The way up wasn't too bad, but once they reached the trail that led around the canyon wall things got trickier. As Marcus had said, there were spots where the path was just wide enough for one person to walk it and places where even that person would have to turn their body to hug the wall and inch forward. Greg felt his heart palpitating in his chest as he edged along one such tight spot. He nearly froze at one point, but Marcus was right there as he had promised to encourage him along.

"You got this, Pal. It's a walk in the park. Am I right?"

"Yeah...If the park featured hundred-foot drops to your death..." panted Greg.

It was with a massive sense of relief that he finally saw the end of the trail coming up as it descended to the bottom of the back of the canyon.

Greg jumped off a low ledge and came around the end of a large boulder as big as a small house to find the rest of his companions lost in the splendor of Seven Falls.

"Is it everything I said it would be or what?" said Marcus.

"This is spectacular!" offered Wendy slipping closer to Marcus who put his arm around her as she beamed up at him.

The scenery was impressive, the water cascading from the top of the canyon and hitting multiple ledges on the way down forming large pools of icy water. The bottom three such shelves were reasonably accessible by climbing on the fallen rocks and boulders that were strewn around the edges of the canyon, but you would have needed climbing equipment to reach the uppermost pools.

John had his arm around Kendra's waist and was pointing out some piece of scenery as Greg walked past them feeling a momentary flash of jealousy that he just as quickly quashed. He had been around the two of them for so long now you would have thought he would have been immune to it, but it never got any easier seeing them together.

The group made camp at the edge of the last, and largest of the pools. As big as an Olympic swimming venue the water was as clear as glass, but deceptive in that it looked almost of equal depth all the way to the back where the waterfall came crashing down into it, but Marcus warned them that it dropped off at a certain point half-way out.

"It's also colder than a witches tit so be warned!" said Marcus.

Greg unrolled his sleeping bag choosing a spot that offered a beautiful view of the falls, and was also close to where Kendra was looking to bed down. The girls after setting down their gear had, to Greg's dismay, begun to strip off their shorts and t-shirts revealing that they were wearing bikini's underneath. It was apparent that they intended to lay out and get some sun on the rocks by the pool. He tried hard not to stare, but this was the first time he had seen Kendra in a bathing suit, and it was almost impossible not to look.

If she looked hot ordinarily, Kendra Hawkins was far more than that in her skin tight blue bikini. Her skin was almost flawless and tan enough that it was clear this was not her first time laying out. The big, round shapes of her breasts were barely contained in her suit top, and Greg thought he was going to have a heart attack when she started to rub oil all over them making the twin peaks glisten in the late afternoon sun.

Wendy Delphy looked only slightly less spectacular than her roommate with smaller, more perky breasts but long sexy looking legs.

"Put your eyes back in your head, Pal," said Marcus out of the corner of his mouth as he passed.

Greg turned red in embarrassment and went back to unpacking his stuff.

The girls picked a spot on a flat rock about ten yards away spreading towels to lay on. Marcus led Mitch and Craig up through a small gap between two fallen boulders showing them how they could reach the next ledge above them from the west side of the canyon. John accompanied them still sipping away at his spiked water bottle. The sounds of his weak attempts at whistling echoed back to Greg's tortured ears as he rose up to inspect the creek that formed from the runoff of the last pool following a trail into the trees that dotted the canyon floor. He returned a short while later cradling something in his arms.

"What do you have there?" asked Kendra sitting up.

"Horny Toad. You don't see them out and about much they usually hide under rocks and what not. This little guy was sunning himself. I thought you guys might want a peek before I turn him loose."

"That is disgusting!" said Wendy wrinkling her nose.

"Ah! I think he is kind of cute," replied Kendra coming closer for a look.

"Don't touch that thing, Kendra it probably bites! Give you some rabies or something."

"I don't think that's possible, Wendy," said Greg but he declined to explain figuring he would be wasting his time.

"Well, Skeleman! Did you find yourself a date for tonight?"

Despite his size, John Hardwick still had the lithe reflexes of an athlete and could move quietly when he wished. His sudden appearance startled Greg who lost hold of the toad and watched it fly into the underbrush.

"Too bad! I guess it's Rosy Palm for you, my friend," said John smacking him playfully, but a bit too hard on the back making Greg stumble forward a step. He could smell the alcohol on the bigger man, and it was clear he had enjoyed his water bottle a little too much.

"I'm getting hot! Time to hit the pool!" shouted John shedding his shirt to display his muscular, well-chiseled chest.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," said Greg calmly.

"What?"

"That water is barely above freezing, and you've been exerting yourself while imbibing a fair amount of alcohol. There is an excellent chance you'll cramp up before you get twenty feet."

"Are you saying I can't handle my liquor, Skele?" slurred John.

"I'm just stating facts, but you're welcome to do what you want," said Greg with a shrug.

"Maybe Greg's right. Why don't we have a bite to eat," offered Kendra.

"Don't worry, Babe! I was on the swim team at my high school. I own every record they had worth breaking. I can handle some cold water."

"Be my guest..." said Greg.

John threw a wink at Kendra and took off at a dead run hitting the water and plowing forward sending a small wave before him. He made it about to the middle before he hit the drop off, and just like that he vanished momentarily from sight only to come bobbing up a second later sputtering.

"Mother Fucker! This is some cold shit!" yelled John.

"Hope you freeze your balls off," said Greg too quietly for anyone else to hear.

"Hey! Kendra! Get a photo of this!" shouted John as he flipped over on his head kicking his legs in the air. Kendra went to fetch her phone, but John lost his balance and splashed back into the water. This time there was an even longer pause before he reappeared, and it was clear that something was wrong as he broke the surface trying to choke out a warning before vanishing beneath the water again.

"Cram..." was all they heard before John dropped out of sight.

"Oh! Shit!" shouted Wendy.

Greg shook his head in disgust.

"I told him he would cramp."

Kendra had run to the edge of the water looking around wildly, but not sure what to do to help.

"Greg!" she yelled looking desperate.

A much as he hated John Hardwick he knew he couldn't stand by and just let him drown tempting though it was to contemplate. Greg joined Kendra after grabbing a fallen branch from the ground at the edge of the tree line. He waded out quickly feeling for the drop off with his toes. The water was even colder than he had expected and felt like a million tiny knives pricking at his skin. John had come up again flailing his arms.

"John! Reach out toward me!" shouted Greg as he leaned forward and held the limb away from him.

It took a couple of swipes but John eventually got one hand on the broken tree limb, and Greg was able to pull him to the shallows. He leaned on Greg limping up onto the flat rocky surface at the edge of the pool before dropping on to his knees and spitting water onto the ground.

"Shit..." grumbled John still coughing.

"I did try to warn you," said Greg.

John shot the smaller man a menacing look before Kendra arrived to pat him on the back.

"Are you o.k.?"

"Fine...I just swallowed a little ice water..."

"That was a silly thing to do. You should have listened to Greg."

John looked sheepishly at the ground.

"Yeah...Um...Thanks," he managed not able to make himself look directly at Greg.

"Don't mention it..."

Kendra helped her boyfriend to his feet leading him over into the sun to dry off while Marcus and the others returned from examining the next pool up.

"What happened?" asked Marcus.

"John decided his water bottle wasn't enough and he tried to drink the pool too," said Greg.

"Very Funny, Skele..." said John from where he sat on Kendra's towel.

"O.K. I'm almost sorry I missed that. Anyway, we need to gather some firewood for tonight, so let's get cracking."

Marcus led the rest of the boys, minus the recovering John, out into the trees where they picked up dead limbs of various sizes to burn. Upon their return, they built a fire ring out of loose stones placing the limbs in the middle with smaller sticks for kindling.

The sun dropped below the lip of the canyon a few hours later plunging their surroundings into deep shadow. Marcus got a fire going while everyone gathered round sharpening stakes for a good old fashioned hot dog roast.

"I hope we've got ketchup and relish, a hot dog is nothing without them," said John as he speared a thick tube of meat.

"I got your back," said Kendra laying out a ketchup bottle while fishing in her backpack for a jar of relish.

The gang enjoyed their food as the night closed in around them, without the lights of the city to blind their eyes the night sky filled with stars. It was a gorgeous show that made them feel very small.

"Look at all that up there. Hard to imagine starring at it there isn't a good chance we aren't alone in the universe," said Mitch.

"You believe in little green men, Mitch? I thought you were smarter than that," laughed John.

"It's not so crazy. The size of the known universe is so unfathomable it would be a mistake to think we understand it well enough to dismiss the idea," said Greg defensively.

"I would expect that from you, Skeleman. You would probably be the first one they would pick up in their spaceship. Be careful they don't anal probe you!"

"I can see where they would avoid picking you up, John. They would be looking for intelligent life,"

"Oooohhh!" said Craig throwing a look at John whose face had gone red.

"Who wants to roast some marshmallows?" offered Marcus trying to change the subject before things got ugly.

"I'm all for that!" said Wendy, "even though I should be careful. I have to watch my figure."

"I'll watch your figure for you," said Marcus with a leer.

Wendy laughed, playfully pushing Marcus back from the fire while Mitch added, "Get a room!", making everyone else join in.

They sat around enjoying their snacks and listening to the music on Craig's phone through a pair of small, but powerful Bluetooth speakers he had brought with him while the moon rose up into the sky. The day had been exhausting with the long hike, and most everyone decided to turn in early so they could enjoy the falls in the morning. Greg settled into his sleeping bag listening to the sounds of the water, and the distant call of some predatory animal, probably an owl. He heard some whispering nearby as well, and he could see two shadowy figures sitting in the semi-darkness.

Their voices were pitched low, but he could make them out, it was John and Kendra.

"Don't be mad at me, Babe. I know I get a little crazy sometimes, but that's who I am. I like to have a good time."

"We've talked about this before, John. You're a different person when you drink. I'm not asking you to stop. I am just saying you need to get it under control."

"I hear what you're saying. You know I care about you I wouldn't do anything to hurt you," he said reaching a hand out to touch her cheek.

"I know, but I would rather you cared about yourself too."

They started kissing a short time later, and Greg rolled away not interested in watching that spectacle.

He waited until it was clear everyone was sleeping, and then slipped out of his bag, reaching into his backpack to take out his binoculars.

The climb up to the next ledge was fairly easy, and the moon was bright enough to light his way without a flashlight. When he reached the flat ground, he walked around the slightly smaller waterfall-fed pool and took a position on top of a long, flat-topped boulder it's once rounded surface pounded down by years of erosion. His legs dangled off one side as he craned his neck up to look at the splendor laid out before him. The city ruined what would otherwise be a panorama of epic proportions set out for everyone to see.

Greg brought his binoculars up to his eyes sighting them on a distant cluster of stars. The magnified view allowed him to appreciate the individual beauty and color of each far away sun glowing in pinpoints of orange, yellow, red, and blue, marking out the temperature of the nuclear furnace that burned inside each one. He was just about to adjust his gaze to a different grouping when the sounds of rocks hitting the ground signaled to him that someone else was climbing the trail that he had just followed.

A shape moved toward him out of the darkness, and to his surprise, Kendra Hawkins hoisted herself up next to him on the rock.

"What are you doing out of bed young man? I told you no more milk and cookies!" she joked wagging a finger at him.

Greg smiled, "Sorry, Mom. Actually, I just wanted to take in the view, and I didn't feel like being teased about it by John."

"You two don't get along do you?"

"He doesn't like me very much, and I have to say the feeling is mutual."

"You know he's not such a bad guy...It's just when he drinks."

"I know what you are going to say already," said Greg cutting her off, "I heard this refrain from my Mom for years. Your Dad is a good man. It's just when he drinks...Blah...Blah...Blah. If drinking makes you hurt the people you care about here's a thought. Don't fucking drink!"

"I didn't realize that your Dad..."

"It's not something I advertise. Hey! Want to hear stories about how my alcoholic father used to beat me when he had a bad day at work? I'm guessing most people would pass."

"Greg, I'm so sorry."

"It's o.k."

"No, it really isn't."

He felt something warm against his hand where it rested on the rock and realized a second later that Kendra had placed hers on top of his. The feel of her fingertips on the back of his hand made him feel tingly all over.

"John's not that way. He just gets a little obnoxious."

"He's never...hit you or anything?"

"God No! I would never put up with that shit."

"I'm glad to hear it, but once a man starts depending on what's floating in a shot glass to get them through the day you never know where it will end."

"So, the moon sure is beautiful tonight," said Kendra clearly trying to change the subject.

"Would you like to see it better?" replied Greg offering her his binoculars.

"The lenses on these are huge," she said hefting them in her hands.

"I bet you say that to all the boys," said Greg making her chuckle.

"What's this button on top?"

"This model is image stabilizing. Once you get what you want to look at in view press that button with your finger and it will correct for the wobble of your hands. It makes it much easier to look at stuff for more than a few seconds."

Kendra raised the eyepieces to her face and sighted on the moon.

"Oh! Wow! It's so beautiful! I can see all kind of craters and cracks."

"Rilles. The cracks are called rilles, their collapsed lava tubes that carried molten material to the Moon's surface long ago when it was still being formed."

"I bet it looks even cooler when it's full."

"Actually the Moon is best viewed when it's only half or less. It looks all washed out in the light of the sun when it's full, but at half, you get the contrast of the shadows to bring out the details on the surface."

"This is why I asked you for help in Astronomy. You're so smart about this stuff."

"I try."

"What's that over there?" she asked pointing at the horizon.

A bright orangish-red ball was starting to climb into the night sky.

"That would be the planet Mars. It's making its closest approach to Earth in quite some time, so it looks way bigger in the sky than normal. I was planning on taking a drive outside the city next month with my telescope to try and film it."

"You can do that?"

"I have a rig that can if the conditions are right."

"You will have to show me the photos when you get back."

"I'll print some out for you if they turn out."

"It sure is peaceful out here," commented Kendra.

Her face was silhouetted against the light of the moon, and Greg felt himself longing to kiss her sweet, full lips.

"I should get back to bed," she said pulling herself up.

"I'll be along in a few minutes. Pleasant dreams, Kendra."

Kendra handed the binoculars back smiling, "Don't stay up too late young man!"

She hesitated and then leaned over brushing her soft lips across Greg's cheek. He felt his heart skip a beat, and a slow flush spread through his body.

"Thanks for what you did for John today. I know it was probably tempting just to let him drown."

"You have no idea how right you are," thought Greg as she moved off into the darkness.

"You're a good man, Greg Palmer," she said over her shoulder.

He wished she had added, "Better than John," but the compliment still made his heart flutter.

The night sky turned above his head, and he lay back on the rock watching it spin for a while, but mostly thinking about the beautiful girl snoring in a sleeping back beneath his feet.

THE WRONG WAY HOME -

The following day had been a blast for everyone, and even John had managed to keep his sarcasm to a minimum while the group frolicked in the freezing waters and took photos around the rocks. When it came time to clean up their campsite, Marcus was like a mother hen running around trying to keep everyone on task.

"We are going to leave nature better than we found it!" he yelled.

John quickly grew bored and pulled one of his special water bottles out sipping at the strong liquid inside.

"You know, it would probably be better to lay off that stuff until we get out of the canyon," suggested Marcus.

"I'm just having a few sips to take the edge off, Marcus. Why don't you finish sweeping the canyon floor so we can get out of here before it gets dark."

Kendra came over to him a minute later, and Greg thought it looked like the discussion got heated, but he couldn't hear anything from where he was working.

They were eventually able to satisfy Marcus's need for an orderly retreat, and they set off to take the trail back out. Craig and Mitch took the lead this time with John and Kendra following, and the trio of Marcus, Wendy, and Greg bringing up the rear.

The sun was even hotter than the day before making the hike more of a chore, and soon everyone was sweating and irritable. The group passed one of the more narrow areas and stopped to rest on a wider part of the path where they could stand almost three abreast.

"I think someone should go get the van and bring it back," huffed Mitch from where he sat on the ground.

"Yeah, Marcus. Why don't you drive it around and pick us up?" said Craig chuckling.

"If that van could fly we wouldn't be on this trail to begin with, guys. Ya bunch of smart asses," shot back Marcus with a smile.

"You all bitch like old women! I've been on worse hikes than this. Kendra and I will take point and show you how it's done," blustered John.