All Comments on 'Sex Club for Nerds and Geeks Ch. 14'

by Peterspeter

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Constructive Criticism

Hey, Peterspeter. I apologize in advance for this lengthy comment. I debated whether to send this privately as feedback but ultimately I decided that I want to post it publicly so others can give their 2¢ as well. I want you to know that I've enjoyed your ongoing story so please take this comment as some constructive criticism.

First off, the part about STDs was a turn off. When I'm reading something like this, I really don't want to think about the possibility of the characters contracting AIDS, herpes, gonorrhea, or anything else. I realize that in the real world we all should be very careful when it comes to sexual encounters with anybody; but it really brings a story to a screeching halt due to the imagery those words invoke. Gonorrhea.... gross and not sexy at all. AIDS... well, I don't wan to think of any characters here on Lit having such a horrible affliction.

Secondly, I am aware that this is a fantasy situation, but the characters (especially Carl) are becoming unbelievable. All Carl seems to do is go to work, have sex and revel in self doubt and depreciation. He's clearly a good guy who thinks his partners are more than sperm receptacles, but his actions do not reflect this. By continuing to sleep around without any thought of dating any of the girls or even an attraction to some of them, he’s shying away from the true reason he joined the club in the first place: To gain more self-esteem and find a girlfriend. I want to like Carl. In fact, I did like him. But the choices he’s been making lately are making me wonder whether he’s growing as a person or simply becoming a womanizer. For instance, he and Janice obviously are not a good match for any sort of relationship, and yet I get the feeling that he and she would still have sex with one another regardless.

Please don’t misunderstand me. As I said at the beginning, I enjoy your story! It’s fun, imaginative and erotic. This current situation, however, is becoming tedious. I feel like this summer session is taking far too long to play out. We had 6 chapters of his entire Sophomore year and have had 8 chapters of this summer with more to come. I get it… He has a boring summer job in a boring college town. There aren’t many people around b/c they’ve all gone home for the summer break. Maybe it’s time to wrap up this summer break and get back to the real story: Carl’s involvement in the Club during the school year.

Please keep in mind that I really do enjoy your story. I want to keep reading it! And I want to root for Carl again! I hope you’ll take some of this to heart. Please keep up the great work, I’m eagerly awaiting to find out what the future holds for Carl and his friends!

PeterspeterPeterspeteralmost 13 years agoAuthor
Constructive comment very much appreciated.

Hey Anon,

You have done me a real favor with this comment. I take no offense at all in fact, I wish I got more comments, public or private.

I wish Id begun knowing Sex Club for Nerds and Geeks would become a series. I was inspired by Penelope Streets story T.F.W.B.C. to write my own version. When it got good ratings, I realized it could be a series. Then RaleighBoy did me the honor of doing his take on my story. I wish he would continue (and lend me some of his sky-high ratings and comments!).

Its true, the series has rambled. Chalk it up to not doing an overall outline for a series that has no seeming end. What Ive been doing is creating situations where Mrs. McGowens charge (that its going to take a girl, or a couple of girls, to convince you that you, just like you are, are attractive and desirable) is so vital. I have a preachy streak, I guess.

Remember the dinner conversation between Carl and Margery, about the future of the club? The ostensible point of the club is to get its members laid. But the larger goal is to launch them into the world.

Volunteer, goal-oriented organizations can easily fall apart as they mature. And thats whats happening to the club. Mrs. McGowens away, for some reason, and she has been the vital center. Carls roommate Pete, whod been a club leader, is going off with his live-in girlfriend. Some of the women leaders graduated, leaving Margery. So suddenly Carl, a raw recruit, has been thrust into a leadership role. The clubs fragility is exposed: will it survive?

When Ive let Carl get obsessed over STDs, the story has dragged. Thats been an unfortunate detour and Ill stop it. The same thing, by the way, happens when he fumbles into self doubt, like the impotence chapter. In both cases, the result has been dismal ratings.

While his job may be boring, it is the constant of Carls life. Imagine what hed be doing without it. Ive tried to use Anna, the graduate student, to push him into new areas, but that hasnt worked. The job will provide some fireworks two chapters from now, and the town will show some spark as well.

The summer-time lovers sure are a varied lot. Janis doesnt seem like recurring material, but she could be a malevolent presence in the future. Kate? Kim, or one of her buddies? Carrie and Lisa? Both will be around in the fall. And there are others.

The whole things been an adventure. Ive only written journalism in my life, so I really appreciate getting the kind of feedback you have provided here. I hope this excursion into the innards of the series has been worthwhile for you to read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
brilliant

I have to say this is a brilliant series so far and I can't wait to read the coming chapters, I really think the story is starting to twist a bit put of line from its seeming direction at the start but as a reader I will follow where it leads. As said before I can't wait to see where this all goes to, brilliant writing keep up the good work

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userPeterspeter@Peterspeter
249 Followers
My series "Sex Club for Nerds and Geeks" has a new chapter which begins the backstory of one of Lit's most treasured stories, "Nothing Between Us." This is the first of 3 episodes. Enjoy!

story TAGS