Sex in Tahiti: Cook Voyage Journal

Story Info
How does Joseph Banks' journal suggest these steamy letters?
4.6k words
4.5
2.8k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
1fastguy
1fastguy
301 Followers

Explorers usually kept trip journals. Often a short entry would only hint at a much more detailed experience. Here five actual journal entries from the botanist on Captain James Cook's first southern oceans voyage are expanded into fictional letters detailing his sexual adventures. It ends by considering some implications of such cultural contact.

1. Scientist Joseph Banks' Journal: April 14, 1769

"I spied among the common crowd a very pretty girl with a fire in her eyes that I hadn't seen in the country.... [Then] I loaded my pretty girl with beads and every present I could think pleasing to her."

Historical fiction: Joseph Banks to a confidant

"My Dear Friend:

.... I must say, she was beautiful, probably about eighteen years old, with big, dark almond-shaped eyes. They were incredibly expressive, filled with a passion that promised so much more if I could just get her into my tent. She wore only a small necklace of shells above her waist, leaving her full breasts displayed proudly, each capped with a pleasing dark peak. Her smooth, coffee skin tapered down to a tuft of dark hair that hid her treasure.

How I coveted that place, probably available to me in exchange for a few colourful baubles. A handful of glass beads could be exchanged for an hour of pleasure with this lovely, wild creature. I had only to win her favour to make her mine for the taking- that's the way it is in this tropical Eden. Already she was eagerly grasping my little gifts, flashing those riveting eyes and that shy smile at me.

Suddenly a pistol flashed, quickly followed by a sharp blast. One of the officer's pockets had been picked in the crowd, and he fired at the running thief. The gunfire startled everyone, that idiot! They'd never heard such a loud report before. Suddenly, all the islanders who were crowded nearby rushed away in every direction. I looked beside me and saw that the pretty girl laden with my beads was gone too.

Damn it! Opportunity lost!

KEEP THIS LETTER SECRET

Sincerely

Joseph Banks"

Based on what he wrote in his best-selling published trip journal, could young botanist Banks have had sexual adventures like those described in my fictitious letters to a trusted friend? Consider this question as you read and we'll return to it later.

****

It was a cold, rainy May afternoon. Having just arrived in Oxford, we wanted to get out of the weather. Our host suggested the Pitt-Rivers Museum, on the fringe of the sprawling network of colleges surrounding the core of the famous university. Twenty minutes later we were inside, totally unsure what to expect.

Pitt-Rivers has thousands of anthropological items gathered from cultures around the world. Many originated from early contact between explorers and Indigenous peoples. Most are under glass, and after a while we felt numbed by their sheer magnitude. Our necks ached from bending down to look, while our brains simply couldn't hold any more information.

Finally in late afternoon after a coffee break, we reached the back of the upper level. Then came something different: 'The Cook Voyage Collection', about twenty metres of floor-to-ceiling glass, enclosing hundreds of artifacts gathered during his three Pacific voyages between 1768 and 1775. I was interested in what Cook had gathered: ceremonial items, paddles, and there... an authentic grass skirt.

Every Australian and English schoolboy (and some Canadians too) learned that Captain James Cook sailed the southern oceans and landed on Tahiti- then called St. George's Islands- in 1769. They were among the first Europeans to see the isolated island cluster and remained for three months refitting the ship, Endeavour.

Attitudes about sex were very loose in this tropical paradise, unlike the rigid beliefs of European society. Cook's crewmen were amazed to be warmly welcomed by naked women, and they just couldn't get enough of it! Indeed, it was as though they had stepped into another world!

"By god!" I thought, "If that's all the women were wearing, no wonder the crew jumped ship as soon as they could! There are more open gaps than grass strands. It would have given scant coverage."

There were also the shell necklaces that completed the outfit- nothing else. I had come face-to-face with the welcoming society these English sailors met when they first came ashore. Little wonder they wanted to stay. No surprise that the captain had to send out search parties to track down the missing crewmen. A few went to ground with Tahitian wives.

After Pitt-Rivers, I had an image of grizzled sailors who hadn't been with a woman in months or years. What must it have been like to suddenly be embraced by beautiful near-naked beauties? Would the men ever have imagined sexual relations with full knowledge by the young woman's family? Could they really enter a world where intercourse with a friendly stranger bearing gifts was as normal as a satisfying meal?

While the deckhands enjoyed Tahiti's sexual pleasures, but they were not the ones who told the tale. Most were illiterate, and besides that, had neither the time nor the materials with which to keep a journal. But the officers and scientists on voyages did, often in hopes of publishing and selling their commentaries afterward.

The middle and upper classes in England ate up this exploration stuff- none of it more voraciously than the racy journal prepared by 25-year-old botanist Joseph Banks detailing his time on James Cook's ship. As his contact with Tahitian women grew, his journal included less information about plant life, and more about his own life with the island women.

That's where my five letters of historical fiction begin, created from Tahitian episodes briefly described in Mr. Banks' journal- veiled and not-so-veiled entries about sex. Many of the details in each letter come from further information in Banks' book. The original edition quickly made him the toast of English society- though stuffy Victorian editors sanitized later editions to match with tightening moral standards of the day.

This is how I think Banks' Tahiti experiences actually played out. Of course, such letters could never have been delivered when he was at sea. Imagine that he is writing to a friend AFTER returning to London, bragging about the fuller extent of experiences only hinted at in his published trip journal.

****

Journal and Letters

2. Joseph Banks' Journal: May 2, 1769

"The foremost of the women quickly unveiling all her charms, gave me a most convenient opportunity of admiring them by turning herself gradually round. She then once more displayed her naked beauties. I took her by the hand and led her to the tents accompanied by another woman, her friend."

Historical fiction: Banks to a confidant

"My Friend in Secrecy

YOU MUST KEEP MY LETTERS UNDER LOCK AND KEY

Happily, my fortune is turning for the better. I continue plying attractive Tahitian women with little gifts from England, mere baubles that bring great thanks. This particular day, I found myself offering presents to a small group of attractive, naked islanders. They are delighted with the things we offer, so much wanted in exchange for their 'hospitality'.

I remind myself that this isn't prostitution. I quickly learned that the exchange of sexual favours for gifts, even a single iron nail (the standard 'currency' used on Tahiti by our deckhands), is the island way. It is friendliness in a culture not ruled by our European morality. Sex here isn't reserved for exclusive monogamous relationships. It is readily available in friendship or in desire.

These women around me were about my age, with shapely bodies and coquettish ways. In exchange for a gift of cloth, one of them publicly displayed herself to me. She felt no shame as she ensured that I could see her mounded breasts from every angle. Turning slowly in a circle, she wanted me to appreciate the curve of her hips and the large exotic designs tattooed on each buttock.

Then I was sitting, my legs drawn together, looking up at the nude woman's turning nude body close above. I could see her pubic curls, and a glimpse of her sex. Next, her full-bodied friend came forward to show off her charms in exchange for a gift too. Of course, I had brought plenty of things to offer.

The women on Tahiti are the most appealing that I've seen on this entire South Sea voyage. With their dark, curly hair, coffee-coloured skin, and large eyes, they rival our English girls. These young women are naked and readily available for our pleasure. I held up some cloth for the second woman, and then she also began turn, displaying her naked body to my gaze.

Apart from such common nudity, I had not witnessed actual public sex during my first few weeks on Tahiti. I was sure that these two were mine for the taking, but not right there. However, my tent was very close by, and I knew that it would be unoccupied. This would afford me a perfect place to satisfy the rising tide of lust that, at that moment, was choking out any other thought.

Taking the first woman's hand and nodding invitingly to the other, I led them off to this private place. There was no hesitancy as they strolled away from their men. They came eagerly simply because I'd given them gifts. And they were probably curious to see inside the strange, white-fabric dwellings which we had erected on arrival.

Once inside, I tied the tent entrance to ensure privacy, then motioned to the visitors to help pull off my clothing. Soon I was as naked as they were, my white skin- so seldom exposed to sunlight- a sharp contrast to their smooth, brownish tones. I was as hard as a rock, ready for either one of them.

Then the first woman dropped to her hands and knees, offering herself from behind. Happily, English missionaries haven't yet found Tahiti and dictated face-to-face as the only acceptable way to do this!

I eagerly slid my stiff member between her legs and was a bit surprised at how tightly her sex gripped me. Another push though, and I was buried to her depths. Grasping her firm, rounded hips, I began a slow and deliberate thrusting while she pushed back to meet me each time. Before long we established a rhythm and gradually picked up the pace. Sex has a universal language, so I understood the meaning of her moans as she moved.

All the while, her friend sat beside us, keeping up a steady chatter that I didn't understand. Was she commenting on my performance or offering my partner more encouragement? After a time, I decided that I'd like to have a go with her too, so I motioned for the second woman to come alongside us in the same position.

Now I gave a slap to the buttocks of the first one, pulled out, and drove my cock into the other. She was looser but squealed with pleasure as I pressed hard into her body. I gripped one hip and at the same time, used an arm to hold her friend in place. Then I worked quickly with the new woman because there was no telling how much longer I could last.

After just a few minutes, I realized that I preferred her friend. Like changing horses on a hard ride, I quickly slid from one directly to the other. And that's how I rode the first, holding her hips tightly while leaning into her hard and fast. She was young and strong, matching my pace and ready for more.

Suddenly my body lurched forward like I was about to explode. But would I impregnate her? Just in time I grabbed my swollen member and brought it above her back. Long streams shot across her tawny skin, so much in fact, that the woman's friend giggled with delight.

The women had been with me in the tent for what seemed like an hour. Now it was time for them to go back to their families, happy with the gifts they'd received, and the hospitality they'd shown to me in return. Hopefully there will be many more such satisfying engagements in this tropical paradise.

I must apologize for the great length of this letter, intended to show a good friend the full extent of these amazing experiences about which I can only hint in my journal.

With my regards

Joseph Banks"

3. Journal: May 28, 1769

"We went to bed early as is the custom: I stripped myself for the better convenience of sleeping as the night was hot. Oborea insisted that my clothes be put in her custody. I readily submitted and laid down to sleep with all imaginable tranquility."

"My Good Friend,

.... Though my journal speaks only of sleep, that was far from my mind after sex with the two women in my tent a few weeks ago. My friend, Oborea, is married, and a few years older than me, perhaps thirty; however, in Tahiti that is no obstacle to sexual relations. In fact, her husband is fully aware of the intimacies I describe below. In England I would have to keep my pistol loaded in such circumstances, but not here.

I was visiting with them one hot evening and we had gone together to the shoreline for the soft moderating breeze. They had a large canoe beached there, and Oborea indicated that we should sleep in it that night. Her husband remained for a time then returned to their home beyond the sands. He didn't come back.

Without a word, my friend removed what little she wore- a tiny bit of cloth which I had given her. She motioned that I was to undress before we got into the canoe. I stripped eagerly while she brought some palm fronds from the edge of the beach and put them into the craft.

I understood that we were to lay on them, but first she took all my clothing, including my boots, and hid them beneath the canoe. She strongly insisted, and I eventually understood that she was worried that my things would be stolen.

We were both naked now in the moonlight. I could see the swell of her full breasts and the appealing curve of her hips. She knew I was admiring her body and responded as women often do here, by turning slowly to show it from every side. Then Oborea clambered into the canoe, and came to her knees, her arse up to me. I knew this was an invitation to sex.

These Tahitian women are absolutely delightful, completely uninhibited about sharing their charms! They look especially favourably upon the officers in their uniforms, but any crewman with some small gift usually gets their thanks too. My friend wanted some 'hospitality' with me before we would sleep together under the stars.

Orborea and I copulated with complete abandon in the canoe. The evening was hot, and I think we made it hotter with our energy. She was rather vocal, and though I have no idea what she was saying, it was certainly enthusiastic! After some time, I was on the verge of filling the woman with my seed before I remembered to withdraw.

Then we curled up together in the bottom of the canoe and drifted off to sleep.

I trust that you will hold this information in strictest confidence.

With my highest regards,

Joseph"

4. Journal: June 3, 1769

"Soon after my arrival at the tent three handsome girls came off a canoe to see us; they had been at the tent in the morning, and with very little persuasion agreed to sleep in the tent with us, a proof of confidence which I have not before met with upon so short an acquaintance."

"My friend Mitchell,

My luck is steadily improving and yesterday marked a highlight which I must relay to you. Imagine the prospect of enjoying relations with three nubile beauties in one night! Never in my life did I expect this, except perhaps during some drunken spree in an English whorehouse. But on Tahiti, as I'm learning, all things sexual are possible!

All three young women, probably about twenty years old, were quite attractive. Of course, they came from their large canoe fully naked, and apart from their shell necklaces, wore only a smile. Their copper skin and long black hair highlighted 4their full figures, breasts bouncing as they ran up the beach. They'd visited in the morning and left, but their return at this advanced hour suggested more.

My tent-mate, fellow scientist, Daniel Solander, heard them calling and ducked out of the tent to welcome them. Using hand motions and the limited vocabulary we'd acquired after six weeks here, we invited them to join us in the tent. We knew by now that our tents were a great curiosity, and they readily consented. Dusk would soon be falling, and we hoped to convince them to stay on.

Though we hardly knew the girls, we suggested they sleep with us for the night. Can you even imagine such a thing in England? The girls' fathers or brothers would have hunted us down and forced a marriage with them. Instead, we dug out a store of beads and other trinkets with which to pave the way to an evening of sexual delights.

And what an evening! Plied with our little presents, all three were willing and eager to take us into them. There being but Solander and me with cocks, we took turns with these beauties, one of them patiently waiting while we enjoyed the other two. All of them were clearly experienced in this art, and we made the most of it, moving greedily from one to the next until all had been sampled.

Favourites emerged, of course. I couldn't get enough of the girl with the fully tattooed buttocks, a wild thing who stretched herself out in such a way that her sex gripped my throbbing cock like a vice. Daniel preferred the quieter woman, whom he rode gently while I pounded my gasping steed. The third chattered away to the others- about what I don't know- seemingly content and grinning the whole time.

Eventually we shot our bolts, then brought all three to bed with us. That night we were warmed by a nubile naked woman curled up on each side. I tell you Mitchell, this place is paradise on Earth!

Sincerely

Joseph"

5. Journal: June 10, 1769

"I was next prepared by stripping off my European clothes and putting a small strip of cloth round my waist, the only garment I was allowed to have, but I made no pretentions to be ashamed of my nakedness, for neither of the women were a bit more covered than myself. [Later] we went into the river and scrubbed one another till it was dark."

"Mitchell, my good friend,

.... Lest you think that I am exaggerating, I assure you that everything I relay to you here is the truth. I hardly believe it myself, after all the delights I've already enjoyed on this fair island!

My Tahitian friends, including Orborea, whose charms I'd sampled several times in recent days, were excited yesterday. Limited words and hand-motions told me that a big party was taking place that evening and I must join them.

I readily agreed and when I returned to them later, I learned that I must 'go native'. They readied me by taking my clothes and then used some sort of black substance to paint my naked body with their swirling designs. When they were finished, I could see that, apart from skin colour, I much resembled my hosts. They gave me a ceremonial weapon to carry, and then we were off to the festivities!

Picture me as Adam's child, naked as the day I was born, cavorting wildly with heathen friends. Orborea was almost nude, of course, one of many bare-breasted beauties close by me. Their shapely bodies shone in the moonlight as they danced vigorously in a large circle. I swear that my member was stiff the whole time, stimulated by the sight of their bouncing chests and jiggling arses.

After a while, I lost track of time, and of Orborea's husband in the throng. I found myself jammed tight against my friend, her fine body rubbing against mine as we moved. She laughed at my hard cock, and playfully grabbed at it from time-to-time. I could think of nothing else but having her again, as she looked up submissively into my face.

Suddenly, it seemed that the party was breaking up as small groups of dancers ran off in different directions. I didn't understand until later that we were spirits of some sort using our magic to frighten others who hadn't attended the gathering. Orborea grabbed my hand and led me running through the jungle. Screaming loudly, we continued sport this until we were dog tired.

1fastguy
1fastguy
301 Followers
12