Shadow Dagger Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Boltus looked up and took a deep breath. Tears gathered in the corner of his eyes. "We have lost Braxus Marridon to the Magi Victus." A low hum of anger began to build in the amphitheater. Daminus looked around and saw several Magi on their feet, shouting incomprehensible words and shaking their fists. He looked over at Evelyn and saw tears streaming down her cheeks. He squeezed her hand tight. Braxus was an old friend. Daminus would shed his tears in private, as always.

Boltus raised his hands again for silence. The crowd quieted but some murmurs of anger could still be heard. "My brothers and sisters, we have suffered much in this past month. I don't know what game the Magi Victus are playing but I intend to find out."

"It's time we eradicated them once and for all!" Daminus looked around and saw Morgana on her feet. He always thought she was hot-tempered and she was not disappointing him. What an idiot-. Evelyn grabbed his arm as he stood up to say something and shook her head. He sat back down with a huff.

Boltus bowed his head. "Morgana, that is not up for debate. You should know better. We would never survive a war with-"

"COWARD!" Morgana roared. "I am so tired of hearing that excuse! Whenever a limb becomes infected and can't be healed, you cut it off! No matter how much it weakens you!"

"Silence, Morgana of the 5th Tier! Do you dare question me? Here in the Hall of Magi?" Silver light poured out of Boltus' eyes and mouth. He no longer looked old or worn out. He looked very dangerous and every bit the Grand Master of the Order of Magi.

Evelyn grasped Daminus' arm in fear. Daminus looked over at Morgana and saw her face pale in the fury of the Grand Master. She sat down in a hurry. A not-so-subtle reminder of your place, Morgana. Heed it well.

The light faded from Boltus' eyes and mouth. He sighed and suddenly looked more worn out than he did when he first arrived. "Forgive me, my brothers and sisters. It has been a stressful week. This is not the time for anger or vengeance. Let us mourn Braxus Marridon as befitting the Master of the 7th Tier. The matter with the Magi Victus will be dealt with shortly, I promise you. Everyone is dismissed to make preparations for the funeral."

The noise in the amphitheater picked up again as everyone rose and began exiting. Daminus shared an ominous look with Evelyn as they rose to leave.

"Daminus, could I have a word with you please?" The Grand Master was addressing him from the podium. Several Magi gave him wondering looks but he ignored them.

He turned to his wife. "Go get ready for the funeral, my love. I will meet up with you then." She nodded and joined the crowd exiting the room.

Daminus made his way down to the floor and over to the Grand Master. He bowed low before addressing him. "Grand Master, how may I serve with you?"

"Walk with me," Boltus replied. They strode out the exit behind the crowd and turned down the opposite hallway. Daminus opened his mouth to speak but Boltus held up a finger. What is going on? I don't have a good feeling about this.

They continued walking until they came to a door at the end of the hallway. It was the office of the Grand Master. Boltus opened the door and Daminus followed him inside. Daminus once again opened his mouth to speak but Boltus held up his hand again. His eyes and mouth glowed silver for a moment as he uttered some words in the ancient language. Magical runes glowed all around the room. Daminus stared, open-mouthed with shock. It was a 10th Tier spell to prevent eavesdropping. The fact that the Grand Master cast the spell in his own office was...troubling.

"Please sit, Daminus," the Grand Master gestured toward the chair in front of his desk. Daminus sat down heavily. He couldn't get a grasp on what was happening. He was so lost in his thoughts that he barely realized that this was the first time he had ever seen the office of the Grand Master. It was big but very modest. It was a circular room with walls that were covered in bookshelves. In fact, the only area not covered by bookshelves was the part of the wall right behind the Grand Master's desk. Instead, that part of the wall was covered by a floor-to-ceiling window. The early morning sun reached into the room and fell upon the Grand Master's desk.

"Daminus, I am in need of your assistance." The Grand Master's voice broke through Daminus' thoughts.

Blushing in embarrassment, he replied, "I am at your disposal, Grand Master."

Boltus did not speak right away. He sat in his seat and stared at Daminus for so long that Daminus feared he had died with his eyes open. Finally, the Grand Master blinked and spoke slowly, as if he weighed every word. "I have come to the conclusion that these past three assassinations have not been for the usual reasons of petty jealously and greed. No, I very much fear that someone is playing an entirely different game this time."

"What game is that, Grand Master?" Daminus replied nervously.

"I don't know. That is why I need your help. I need to know what the Magi Victus are up to. The three Magi killed this month were of the 7th Tier and higher, and that includes your friend Braxus Marridon, the Master of the 7th Tier. That is very unusual. Normally, it's our lower-tier members who hire the Magi Victus to knock off the competition. To assassinate Magi of the higher ranks requires Jon Laurent. And he is not cheap." The Grand Master frowned at his desk and was silent for several minutes.

Daminus cut into his thoughts. "What exactly is it that you want me to do?"

"I need you to be my ferret. I want you to investigate these murders and find out who is responsible for them."

"Why me?" Daminus asked.

Boltus took a moment before answering. "Because you are the Master of the 9th Tier and I need a man of your caliber and experience. These assassinations were not cheap. I fear that this implicates a Magi of the upper-tiers. Thus, the protection from eavesdropping," he said as he gestured at the still-glowing runes surrounding the room. "I need someone who knows how to get something done quietly and efficiently. You have some of the best reasoning skills in the Order.

"And," he continued, giving Daminus a weary look, "I need someone more familiar with...offensive spells. You served the order admirably in the last war and I need that experience."

"I...see," Daminus said quietly. Then he smiled and said, "You will need to prepare yourself for a rather nasty visit from Evelyn."

Boltus chuckled. "I would rather face Jon Laurent." He winced at the sound of the name. "Daminus...if you aren't careful, if the Magi Victus or the mage who hired them learn of your investigation, they will send Jon Laurent after you. And I don't like your odds against that Shadow Dagger of his."

Daminus swallowed and felt sweat trickle down his back. "I will have to be very careful then. I will not disappoint you, Grand Master."

"Good luck, my friend." It was a dismissal. Daminus nodded and got up to leave. The Grand Master's voice stopped him at the door. "Braxus was a good mage...and a good friend. Find the person responsible, Damnius, and I promise you that we will punish him together."

Daminus turned around. He saw a fierce fire burning in the Grand Master's eyes. Too choked up to speak, he nodded his head at Boltus. He turned around and closed the door quietly behind him.

***

Raynolt Teryus, Master of the 10th Tier, second only to the Grand Master in power, stood outside the Grand Master's office. His eyes shone with silver as he studied the intricate runes carved into the door of the office.

A 10th Tier ward against eavesdropping, Boltus? You might as well shoot fireworks in the air to let your enemies know that you are plotting something. How we ever voted a dunce like you into power is beyond me.

The glow of the runes faded and disappeared as Daminus Ventus walked out of the office. Raynolt stepped back into the shadow of the hallway and watched as Daminus walked toward him. He was so preoccupied with his thoughts that he jumped in surprise when Raynolt stepped out in front of him.

What I wouldn't give to see one of my spells tear through your body Raynolt thought as he put on a friendly smile. Daminus had been very instrumental in passing several regulations that Raynolt fought very hard to have denied; like the power to kill an inferior Magi because you had to breathe the same air as him, for instance.

"Master Teryus, you startled me. Did you need to see the Grand Master? He is free now." Daminus clearly wanted to be on his way. So it gave Raynolt intense satisfaction to block his way.

"What did you and the Grand Master talk about, if you don't mind me asking?"

Daminus gave him a startled look and then looked down to buy some time. When he looked up again his face was under composure. He even looked a little angry. "What is discussed between the Grand Master and a Magi in the privacy of his office is always to be kept private. You know this. Now if will you excuse me..."

Daminus made to move around him, but Raynolt stepped in front of him again. "It's been a very trying month. Please forgive me for any offense I might have given you. We have lost too many brothers in this pointless dance with the Magi Victus and I find myself short-tempered and frustrated."

Daminus nodded his head. "No apology is needed, Master Teryus. Braxus Marridon was a very good friend of my wife and me. I share your frustration."

"Then stand with me!" Raynolt practically spat at him. A snarl twisted his fine-boned features into something animalistic. "I intend to convene a special council to discuss the current situation. As the Master of the 9th Tier, I expect you to stand with me. The Magi Victus need to be exterminated, once and for all!"

Daminus' eyes widen at the venom in Raynolt's voice. "Master Teryus, you are the head of the highest Tier in the Guild of Magi. Would you throw away so many Magi and cost Astuari her most precious resource? No, I will not see this country weakened and fall back into the hell it was before the Order of 12 saved the world from itself. As a descendant of that Order, you should protect this kingdom with everything you are!"

Raynolt sneered at Daminus with seething hatred. It is because of pathetic cowards like this that I have to resort to... The thought cheered him up and he smiled at the sweet taste of victory that would soon follow. He glanced at Daminus and saw that his abrupt mood swing had startled him. Raynolt walked up close and put his face inches away from Daminus'.

"One day soon, the old man will be gone and I will take his place," he whispered. He smiled at the look of shock on Daminus' face. "I promise many changes will be coming and you better decide soon where your loyalties will lie."

"You are a fool, Raynolt," Daminus replied. Raynolt noted the insult of withholding the honorific of 'Master.' He felt the sweet tingle of power in his fingertips. He longed to unleash it against this man.

No Raynolt, not yet. There is a time and place for everything. But before everything is finished, I swear I will see his lifeless body flung into the ocean to become crab food.

Raynolt stepped aside as Daminus pushed his way past. He watched his retreating back until a turn of the hallway took him from view. Raynolt turned back to look at the office door. And your day is coming too, old man. How I long to test my power against yours. You will be pleasantly surprised. But for now, there is one more piece of business I must take care of...

***

Daminus collapsed into his chair in front of the fireplace. He rubbed his eyes and tried to clear his mind. What is the connection between the three Magi murdered?

Evelyn sat down in the chair next to his. Even in black mourning robes, she was still a sight for sore eyes. Her eyes, though, were red-rimmed. "I hate these damn funerals," she whispered.

Daminus nodded wearily. "So do I, my love."

They sat in silence for several minutes and watched the fire consume the logs of wood. Daminus began nodding off; his constant thoughts on the murder mystery were dragging him down into sleep. He jerked his head up when his wife spoke.

"By the way, I never asked you what the Grand Master wanted. What did you two talk about?"

"Oh, nothing important," he said, waving his hand. He closed his eyes and tried to pretend the question was of no importance. He could feel his wife glaring at him. He opened one eye and saw his suspicions confirmed. He sighed. "First Raynolt and now my own wife..."

"What are you muttering about?" she asked. He could feel the heat rising in her voice.

"My love, you know private conversations with the Grand Master are supposed to remain private."

"And since when have we kept anything private from each other?"

"Evelyn..." He didn't know how he was going to get out of this one. He searched the fire for answers but knew his heart was already betraying him. "What I discussed with the Grand Master has put my life at risk. Do not ask me to put yours at risk either."

He knew that was the wrong thing to say. He could see her cheeks flush red with anger. "Am I some fragile doll that needs to be locked away and kept safe? Magi are dying! And whoever wants to hurt you will know that we are soul-mates and don't keep anything from each other. My life was put at risk the day I married you. So you might as well tell me."

She was right of course. She had waded gracefully through blood-soaked mud to protect him during the last war. She was his soul-mate, bonded to him in ways most people couldn't even imagine.

Normally, she could only cast a 5th Tier protection spell. But during battle, when she stood by his side as he unleashed fire and lightning, she would maintain a 10th Tier protection spell around them both. It was the power of the soul-bond which gave her the power to protect him during life-threatening battles. As far as anyone knew, there had never been a soul-bonded Magi couple in the history of the Guild. Soul-bonds were very rare, especially in the limited population of the Magi.

"This isn't a battlefield," he whispered. "I am dealing with the Magi Victus. They are the very shadows. There is no defense against them."

His wife lifted her chin up in defiance of this fact. "I would like to see the Magi Victus who could penetrate my 10th Tier protection spell."

He looked his wife in the eye. "They say Jon Laurent can."

His wife's face wilted a little but the defiance remained. "Regardless, I will always protect you, no matter what battlefield we find ourselves in. Nobody will ever harm you while I draw breath."

Tears stung the corner of his eyes. Her words were carried over the soul-bond and pierced his heart. "Damn you," he whispered.

She smiled in victory. "Well, now that we have taken care of that, what did the Grand Master have to say to you?"

"I am to investigate the murders. The Grand Master believes it was an upper-tier mage who hired the Magi Victus. He has a bad feeling about these murders. They don't appear to be for the usual reasons."

His wife sat down in her chair and nodded her head wearily. "Yes, I have had the same thoughts. These murders have to be connected in some way."

Daminus stood up, suddenly full of energy. He began pacing in front of his wife. "I have been thinking all night about what connects these murders. I am trying to remember everything I know about the other 2 mages who were killed."

Evelyn frowned in thought. "Let's see...Altus Moore was of the 8th Tier. I believe he was around 200 years old. He had no area of expertise that I can recall...I know he was a King's advisor for a time."

Daminus nodded. "That is about the extent of my knowledge, too. What about the other mage? Christiana Bowman?

"I remember her a little better," Evelyn replied. "I believe she was close to 200 years old as well. She had just reached the 7th Tier not too many years ago. She was exceptionally bright. Her main area of study was research and magical experimentation. I remember helping her with one experiment. She tried mixing an offensive spell with a protection spell. I had to put the flames out before she burned to a crisp." She smiled fondly.

"And that leaves Braxus," Daminus said sadly. "I can't believe I will never enjoy another cup of tea with him. He used to seat right here in front of the fireplace and tell the most fascinating tales. He had done so much with his life. He was a renowned warrior and ambassador. Kings and Queens would hang on his every word."

"I liked the stories of his childhood with the Prince, especially," Evelyn cut in. "The royal line is so far removed from us that it's nice to know that the King is human and not just a living legend."

Daminus nodded in agreement. He sat back in his chair and rested his chin on his hands. He was so lost in thought that he didn't hear his wife calling him at first. "Hmm?"

"I said, wasn't Braxus close to 200 years old?"

Daminus looked at his wife in surprise. "Yes he was. That makes all 3 of the Magi...but what does that mean? It can't just be coincidence."

"No, I think that's our connection," Evelyn said. Her eyes were shining with excitement. "Now we just have to figure out what that connection means."

"Well," Daminus replied slowly, "if they were the same age, then that means they grew up together."

"That's right!" his wife said, standing up out of her chair. "Most Magi are left to be raised in the Emporium. You and I were raised by our parents but that's very rare. After all, Magi parents are too busy to raise a child. That means there is a good chance that all 3 of the Magi murdered this past month grew up together. They were probably even friends"

Daminus stood up and smiled at his wife. She smiled back. "I need to go to the archives at the Emporium," he told her. "I need to research the files we have on the 3 Magi. I need you to go to the Grand Master and tell him everything we know. Maybe he will know what the connection means."

They wasted no time. They grabbed their cloaks from the hook by the door and were off toward the Emporium.

***

Jon stood on top of a local meat shop, annoyed. He had been summoned again to fulfill a contract. This would make 4 contracts in the past month. Jon's skills were rarely needed but once or twice a year. There was something going on and he intended to find out.

"Why was I summoned so soon?" Jon asked the night. A shadow shifted by the chimney and approached him.

"Your place is not to ask. Or have you forgotten that you are addressing your superior?"

"Do not wave empty titles in front of my face Sanje. You are only breathing because I don't want to waste the effort of cleaning your blood off of my dagger. Why have I been hired again so soon?"

If Sanje was annoyed, he did not show it. Instead he spoke in a pleasant voice. "It is not my place to ask. Somebody with a lot of gold wants Magi dead. Why more do we need to know?"

Jon spat at the shadow's feet. "I don't know how you clawed your way to the top of the Guild, but you are no more fit for that position than a turtle is fit to fly." Jon saw the shadow shift and then stand still once more. Sanje was getting better at controlling his anger. "We are the balance of power between the Magi and the rest of humanity. We do not tip the scales one way or the other."

Sanje laughed. Jon almost reached for his dagger. Almost. "Do you really believe that this Guild still carries on that mission? We are assassins, my friend. We are trained in particular to hunt one type of person. There is no balance of power. Why should we care about the balance in a world that shuns us? That would happily see our heads on top of pikes? And for what? For being born? We can't help that we are half-breeds. You see, the world created the Magi Victus. They left us no other role to play."