Shadows of Desire Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Connor sighed, running a hand through his hair. He was ready to say to hell with all the questions and just order his wolves to attack but the elven Crown Prince would undoubtedly respond with equally deadly force and Connor couldn't afford to start a war with the elves. The wolves strength and claws, while powerful, were simply no match for elven magic.

"He wasn't doing anything." Connor answered with a snarl.

Brandyn cocked an eyebrow, demanding clarification.

Connor sighed. "He was traveling with a bog giant. They said they were headed to Rosegate, to join a caravan headed to Millbarrow."

Now this was interesting. Brandyn scratched the back of his neck as he considered this new information. A bog giant, escorting a vampire to Rosegate? Of all the scenario's that he could have come up with, that one had never crossed his mind. He realized in that moment that the situation bared some looking into.

"And, where is the bog giant?" Brandyn asked, a little too politely. His calm and cool demeanor irked Connor greatly.

"We have him." Connor grumbled.

"I see." Brandyn turned to his companions and waved a young blond elf over to him. The young elf dismounted and walked to his commander. "Daire." Brandyn addressed the young soldier. "Please accompany Alpha Connor back to where they are holding the bog giant. I want him brought to the palace for interrogation. As for the suspected vampire..." He turned his attention back to Connor. "My men and I will deal with him. Your request to hunt the fugitive down on our lands has been denied."

"Now just you wait a minute!" Connor growled.

Brandyn put his hand up to silence the wolf. "This is too important an issue not to be brought to the attention of the Crown Prince. If the vampires are planning something, we need to be made aware of it." It wasn't just the fact that a vampire had somehow found its way into Rosegate that concerned Brandyn. He wanted to also know what role the bog giant had in the vampires plan and why he was helping their enemy.

Connor scoffed at Brandyn, shaking his head. "You want to interrogate the vampire? Fine, be my guest. You'll have to catch him first though."

"That won't be a problem." Brandyn smirked. "Now, if you would kindly lead your wolves out of our territory, I'd greatly appreciate it."

"Right." Connor growled. "And I'll be sure to let your Prince know just how hospitable you've been, when he comes to me for help."

"You do that." Brandyn told him. "I'm sure he'll agree that I've been more than accommodating."

The Alpha wolf huffed then turned his back on Brandyn and ordered his wolves to return to Wolfhaven. When they were completely out of sight, Brandyn looked up into the tree to the cloaked figure perched on a branch above him and sighed. "Your friend is being brought to the Palace for questioning." He said. "I suggest you make things easy on yourself by surrendering now. If I have to come up there and get you, I'm not going to be very pleased."

Rowan looked down at the man, not sure what to do. If Bhalor was truly being taken to the elven palace, would he tell the Crown Prince about Rowan and their plan to escape to Millbarrow? He didn't think so but he was still worried. What if they tortured him? He really didn't want Bhalor to suffer anymore than he already had. If Rowan could save him, he would.

"If I surrender myself to you, will you let the bog giant go free?" Rowan asked.

Brandyn shook his head. "Probably not." He answered, truthfully.

"Then you can go to hell." Rowan growled.

Brandyn had to chuckle at that. The vampire had spunk. "Very well." He said with a slight shrug. "Have it your way." Brandyn turned back to his men and addressed them. "You had better call for Nasir." He said with a smirk. "Tell him we've chased a fox up a tree."

SURRENDER

The man, Brandyn, was still standing beneath the tree. Two of his companions, which Rowan assumed were more guards, sat on their horses, watching the trees for any sign of movement. Rowan was unsure if they could actually see him or just sense his presence. He knew that elves possessed magic so it was possible that they were using some form of it to sense him. It was also possible that, like him, they possessed a more keen perception of the world around them such as sharper eye sight, and more sensitive hearing.

Wolves, of course, had better hearing and a much better sense of smell but vampires were known for having the ability to see even the smallest of things at very great distances, especially at night as night was their natural time. He wondered, did elves possess such acute senses as well? Could the elf below see him in the tree when the wolves could not? If he could, it would make escaping now, nearly impossible. Rowan leaned back against the tree, a feeling of hopelessness washing over him as he had no idea what he was going to do now. He couldn't allow himself to be captured. Once they discovered who and what he was, he'd be killed for sure.

Less than an hour had passed when Nasir finally arrived at the edge of the forest with four other riders. He dismounted and walked to where Brandyn stood. Rowan looked down and shivered as Nasir glanced up at him and frowned. There was something about the man that had Rowan on edge. He was handsome enough and looked to be in his late twenties but of course, could have been much older. Elves, like vampires, aged slower than humans so there was no real way for Rowan to know how old the man was. He had straight, black, hair that just barely dusted the tops of his shoulders and cold, piercing, ice, blue eyes.

This elf, the one Brandyn greeted as Nasir, wasn't dressed the same as the rest of the guard. His clothing was expensively tailored to fit his lean frame perfectly and he had been fitted with a black leather belt that held a small dagger. His Breeches were of a dark brown and he wore a red doublet over a black tunic. The man definitely had the appearance of nobility and by the way he addressed Brandyn, Rowan suspected he was a man of great authority. It wasn't his overall look or commanding presence that frightened Rowan though. There was something else about him that made the hair on the back of Rowan's neck stand on end.

This man had a scowl on his face that rivaled the look of the most fearsome vampire Rowan could even imagine and, there was a depth to his eyes that was empty and cold. When the man looked up into the tree, Rowan felt nothing but pure hatred roll off the man in waves. Nasir threw back the side of the cloak he had pinned at his shoulders and raised a hand to one of the men who had arrived with him. He beckoned the man over and at once the man dismounted and joined Nasir in the wood. Rowan suddenly realized that this second man was holding a crossbow and now had it pointed directly at him.

"Come down now, demon." Nasir growled at Rowan. "Or we'll shoot you down."

"Please leave me be." Rowan spoke to the elf in his most innocent tone. "I mean you no harm. Truly, I was only passing through your lands. If you allow me safe passage, I'll leave and never return."

"Do you think me an imbecile?" Nasir scowled. "If I allow you to live, by nightfall you'll be snatching babies from their cradles and feasting on their blood."

Rowan nearly gagged at the thought. Is that what the elven people really think of vampires? He wondered. That we could do something so truly heinous? He couldn't even imagine doing such a thing. Especially to an innocent child.

"I do not know what abomination you think I am," Rowan said, "But what you are suggesting is appalling and, I'm a little offended that you would even think such a thing of me."

Nasir threw up his hands then, turning to the man with the bow, said, "I'm not going to stand here and argue with a monster, just shoot it down. Try not to kill it so we may question the beast later."

The elf with the bow nodded as he took aim. Rowan began to panic, unsure what to do. If he fled they would only chase him down and probably shoot him anyway but at least he'd have a chance. Staying where he was meant he'd be captured for sure, possibly even killed. He was about to jump into another, near-by tree, and head back towards the sirens lake when he heard another, unfamiliar voice shout out to the elf who was about to fire.

"Stop!" The Elf with the bow held his position, finger on the trigger, but he did not fire. Nasir, clearly annoyed, turned to look at the man who had just spoken.

"We have him in our sights." Nasir grumbled. "Why did you stop us?"

Rowan watched as this new man dismounted and then stepped into the woods. He was an elf, like the others, but there was something different about this one. He radiated such power that Rowan nearly found it hard to breathe in his mere presence. He was handsome as well. Much more so than the others. He was so enchanting that Rowan thought he was, dare he say it...beautiful? Yes, he was beautiful. Probably the most beautiful man that Rowan had ever laid eyes on. Beautiful but with a raw masculinity that oozed forth from every pore. Rowan couldn't tare his eyes away from this man. He took in every inch of him, from his auburn hair to his dark, brown eyes.

His eyes scanned over the mans slender frame, his muscular arms, and his firm, broad chest. He was charming and elegant, even down to the attire he wore which consisted of a light blue tunic over black slacks, and a brown and gold Doublet. A gilded sword hung from a white belt at his waist, his hand resting gently on the hilt as he approached Nasir. Brandyn and the others bowed as the man approached. Even the forest seemed to stand in reverence to this man. A strong gust of wind suddenly blew past the man, lifting his auburn locks off his shoulders and swirling around him before rising up to where Rowan sat, perched in the tree watching him.

Rowan gasped as the breeze encircled him and with it bringing an aroma that reminded him of his mother's precious garden. It was like the sent of rose and jasmine mixed with a touch of peppermint. Rowan inhaled the scent, letting it wrap around him like a warm, safe, blanket. The smell of the elven man caressed Rowan's senses, making him light headed. He nearly fell from the tree but managed to grasp the branch quick enough to steady himself. When he opened his eyes again, he saw that the beautiful man was staring right at him with a look on his face that resembled confusion and awe, and Rowan suddenly found himself wanting to leap into the man's arms.

***

Thaden placed his hand on Arlen's arm and ordered him to lower the crossbow. Nasir was giving him the evil eye but Thaden didn't care. He wasn't going to allow Nasir to shoot the vampire before they questioned him.

"Stand down." Thaden told Arlen. He nodded, lowering his bow and taking a step backwards.

"Thaden..." Nasir sighed. "What are you doing? One shot, that's all it would take. One shot and we have him."

Thaden narrowed his eyes and glared at his friend. "You would shoot him down before you even find out what he is or what he's doing here? Last I knew, trespassing on our land wasn't a crime punishable by death."

"Only for vampires." Nasir sneered. "The treaty says we have the right to kill any vampire who crosses our borders."

"And are you so sure that he is a vampire?"

Nasir pursed his lips, angrily. "Connor seems to think he is. That's good enough for me."

"Then you're a fool." Thaden snapped.

"I'm the fool?" Nasir was flabbergasted. He shook his head in disbelief. "I'm not the one that's willing to put our kind in jeopardy because of a meaningless little squabble with Connor."

"You wouldn't think it so meaningless if it was your mate who ran off with a wolf." Thaden scowled.

Nasir frowned. "If Nadine was truly your mate, Thaden, she wouldn't have ran off with Connor. Neither of them could help that they are mates. It happened. Move on already. It's been a year."

"I have moved on." Thaden told him. "Besides, it's not that I don't trust Connor's assessment, it's just..."

Nasir waited for Thaden to finish what he was saying but Thaden couldn't find the words. Wolves were usually spot on when sniffing out vamps and they were very adept hunters. Thaden would have been the first to trust a wolfs nose over his own senses but something was different this time. The vampire in the tree, if he was even a vampire, didn't seem all that dangerous. If anything, he appeared terrified. There was something else too though. Thaden didn't know why but he suddenly had the overwhelming desire to protect this creature. He just knew, in his heart, that he could not allow any harm to come to the boy.

Thaden sighed. "I don't really think he's a threat." Thaden said, finally. "The logical thing here is to find out who he is and why he risked his life to come on our lands. There has to be a good reason for it."

"He's a spy." Nasir growled. "That's the only thing that makes sense. The vampires are planning something. An invasion or something and they sent this youngster ahead to gather intel. If we just allow him to leave he'll run right back to them and report everything he's seen."

"I never intended to let him leave." Thaden said. "I want answers and since the bog giant isn't cooperating, then our treed little fox seems to be the only one left to interrogate." He looked up to the boy in the tree, catching a glimpse of green eyes peering out from behind the dark hood of his black cloak. Thaden held his breath when he saw those eyes. There was something...magical about those eyes. He half expected the vampire to make a run for it when he saw Thaden looking at him but the boy seemed as transfixed on Thaden as Thaden was on him.

"Will you come down and speak with me?" Thaden called up to the boy. "I promise that no one will harm you...for now. I just want to ask you some questions." When the boy didn't answer, Thaden added, "Coming down and speaking with me is the only way that you're going to save your friend. As it is, he's facing trial for treason. If found guilty, he'll be executed. Do you want his death to be on your head?"

"You fiend." Rowan growled at Thaden, suddenly over come with rage. "You and your elves are the real monsters here!" He hissed. "Bhalor is no traitor and he doesn't deserve to be executed as one! He's a good, kind, man!"

Thaden smirked, realizing he'd hit a nerve. Though the boys reaction puzzled him a bit. Since when did vampires care about the well being of Fae? And, why would a Fae be helping a vampire in the first place. What was their end game? These were all questions he planned to ask the boy, once he got him out of the tree that was.

"If he's such a good and kind man then surly you don't want him to be punished on your behalf, do you? Why not come down here and clear his name. I'm putting my trust in you that you won't attack me or my men so put your trust in me. If you give yourself over willingly, I won't hurt you."

Rowan sighed, considering the elf's words. What choice did he have really? Bhalor was innocent, no matter what these elves claimed, he had done nothing wrong and Rowan wasn't about to let him be executed because of him. Bhalor had a wife, probably children. People who care about him and would miss him dearly if he never returned home. Rowan had no one that would mourn him. Especially since everyone already thought he was dead. His life, what there was left of it, wasn't worth more than Bhalor's. Rowan knew what he had to do.

"Will you give me your word?" Rowan called down to the elven man below. "Give me your word that Bhalor will be set free, unharmed, and I'll come down."

"We don't make bargains with demons!" Nasir shouted suddenly, making Rowan flinch in fear.

"Shut up!" Thaden hissed at the man. "You're not helping."

Nasir huffed and threw up his arms in defeat. "You're making a mistake." He groaned. "Mark my words, Thaden. You're making a huge mistake."

"Then I'll take full responsibility for my mistake." Thaden told him. "But I see no other choice, short of shooting him."

Nasir raised an eyebrow,

"And I choose not to shoot a boy." Thaden sneered. He turned his face back towards the boy in the tree and let out a frustrated breath. "You have my word. Come down, surrender to me, and the bog giant goes free."

"Alright." Rowan nodded with a doleful expression. He was scared. Hell, he was terrified. But he was doing this for Bhalor. After all, the bog giant had tried to help him and would have if not for Connor and his wolves. He was so close to freedom only to have it ripped away so violently. At least, if the elf kept his word, one of them would be free. That had to count for something.

Sucking in a deep breath, Rowan let go of the tree branch and jumped. The branch he'd been perched on was around thirty feet in the air but Rowan landed on his feet with ease, his motions fluid, and as nimble as a cat. He'd landed in an almost kneeling position with his knees bent, hands out to brace himself against the forest floor, and his head down. When he looked up he saw the face of the handsome elf standing not two feet away from him.

Rowan realized, as he stood and faced the elf, that he was still holding his breath. Slowly, he exhaled. His body shook with fear but he did his best to compose himself. His face was still partially hidden by the hood he wore and he could see that the elven man was trying to get a better look at him but failing to see more than just the glow of his green eyes against the darkness of the hood. The man frowned, sighing, then crossed his arms over his chest.

"Remove your head covering." He commanded in an authoritative voice. Rowan wasn't sure why but he suddenly felt compelled to obey, whether he wanted to or not. Something just as simple as pulling back the hood and revealing himself felt like a huge betrayal. Folen and Bhalor had worked so hard to conceal Rowan's true identity yet he was helpless to stop himself from reaching up and pulling the thin fabric back over his head and exposing his face to his captor.

The elf's eyes met Rowans and for a moment they just stood there, staring at each other. It was as if the entire world had melted away around them and only they two existed now. Rowan pulled the cloak tight around his body, holding it in place as he tried to make himself smaller, as if he could simple fade away into the material. The elven man slowly leaned forward, his face so close to Rowan that Rowan could feel the heat of his breath on his skin. His eyes closed and he drew in a breath, inhaling Rowan's scent.

Suddenly, the man's eyes shot open and he drew back, a look of shock and anger on his noble face. "What the hell are you?" He growled low, making Rowan quiver in fear.

Tears sprang to Rowan's eyes and he lowered his gaze. He shook his head. "I-I don't know." He said softly, unsure how to answer the man. "I-I'm a vampire." He whimpered.

Thaden narrowed his eyes. "I may not be a wolf but my senses are keen enough to spot a vampire when one is in my presence and you, are no vampire. I will ask you again and, for your own sake, do not lie to me. What are you, and why have you come here?"

"Please." Rowan cried. "I don't know what else to tell you." He raised his hand to wipe the tears that had fallen down his cheek then lifted his eyes once more to meet the elf's eyes. He should have felt terrified standing before such an imposing man but looking into his eyes, all Rowan felt was peace, and safety. It made no sense. This man, this elf, was his enemy. Rowan should have lied. He should have made up something, anything, whatever would save him from being executed but something told him that this man would no sooner kill Rowan than he would slaughter an innocent child.

He stood there trying to come up with all the reasons to lie, every reason he had to fear this man but none would come to mind. The others stared at him with contempt and fear, some even hatred, but the one they called Thaden, his expression was different. He looked angry but Rowan didn't sense that anger nessasarily directed at him. He seemed more angry that he couldn't figure Rowan out. He looked at Rowan as though looking at an enigma, a puzzle that he desperately wanted to solve. He didn't know what Rowan was and that frustrated him. Rowan had every reason to lie but he couldn't.