Shadows of Desire Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I understand." Rowan sad, a little sadly. "I won't try to escape. I promise."

Thaden nodded. "Good." Thaden looked around the room as he tried to think of anything else he needed to tell the boy. "I think everything is in order then." He said, turning to look at Rowan. "If you need anything you can ask one of the servants."

"Thank you." Rowan said softly.

"Well then, I suppose I'll take my leave." Thaden rubbed his hands nervously against the outside of his thighs. He gave Rowan a quick nod then turned to leave.

"May I ask a question?" Rowan spoke up suddenly causing Thaden to stop and turn back around to face him.

"If you wish."

"What's going to happen to me?" Rowan asked. The look in his eyes was sincere and full of worry. This was made evident by the way he wrung his hands in front of him. He looked so small just then, so fragile, and scared. It broke Thaden's heart to see the boy that way. He suddenly wanted to run up to him, scoop him up into his arms and promise him that everything was going to be fine, but he couldn't.

Honestly, Thaden didn't know what was going to happen. He hadn't planned that far ahead yet. All he knew was that he had to get Rowan someplace safe. Someplace he could watch over him. Someplace he could be close to him. The next step obviously was to speak to Lierin. After that, he didn't know. This was all so new to him. Ordinarily he would have no problem killing a rouge vamp that was caught on their land. Rowan was different though. He wasn't a rouge and Thaden didn't really think he was a danger either but, he had to be careful. Until he spoke to Lierin and explained the situation to him, it was best to keep Rowan under lock and key.

"I'll have to speak with my brother, the Crown Prince." Thaden told him. "But, after that, I don't really know. I suppose, if my brother believes your story, he'll agree to transport you to Millbarrow as was your original plan." Thaden cringed at the very thought of that though. He didn't want Rowan to leave but he couldn't force the boy to stay if he really wanted to go.

"Oh, Alright." Rowan said, sounding almost disappointed.

The look of defeat on Rowan's face nearly broke Thaden. Again he wanted nothing more than to go to the boy, crush him against his body, and comfort him. He had to get out of that room before he did something completely stupid. "Was there anything else?" Thaden asked.

"Well..." Rowan looked up with a slight smirk on his face and then held his bound hands out.

Thaden's eyes went wide and he felt his face flush with embarrassment. "Oh, right. I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm normally not this scatterbrained." He walked to Rowan and began to untie his wrists. Rowan glanced up at him and smiled. "Thank you." He said again, his emerald eyes sparkling with something like adoration as he looked up at Thaden.

As Thaden removed the rope binding Rowan's wrists, his fingers brushed over the soft skin of his hand. His skin was silken and smooth, flawless, and his eyes, Goddess those eyes. Thaden thought. I could get lost in those eyes. The rope dropped to the floor but Thaden didn't move to pick it up or even step away from Rowan. He couldn't. He was frozen in place, staring into those emerald pools, his hands cupped Rowan's hands and again that pulse of energy passed between them.

Before Thaden even realized what he was doing, he had leaned forward, inhaling Rowan's alluring scent. Rowan tilted his head back and closed his eyes and that was when Thaden noticed his lips. His full, red, and inviting lips. He drew closer, their lips nearly touching. Thaden could feel his heart pounding and he felt a sense of excitement rush through him as his lips lightly brushed against Rowan's full lips then, he stopped, suddenly realizing what he was about to do, and pulled back.

Rowan opened his eyes and looked at Thaden, the disappointment clear on his young face. Goddess what's wrong with me? Thaden thought. I almost kissed him.

"I-I have to go." Thaden stammered as he backed away. "I'll return when I have some news." He didn't wait for a reply. Thaden turned and hurriedly made his way out of the room, through the ante chamber, and back into the hall. He closed the main door and locked it then, when he was sure the door was secure, he leaned back against it and took in a deep breath, trying to calm himself down.

"What the hell is going on?" He whispered into the empty hall. "This can't be happening."

He ran a hand through his thick hair and closed his eyes, sighing heavily. What he was feeling wasn't right. The emotions he felt when he looked at Rowan, when he touched him, the energy between them..none of it was real. It couldn't be. He knew what it meant, what he was feeling, but it had to be a mistake. It just had to be. The mother Goddess wouldn't do something so cruel but, the facts were there, as clear as day. "How can this be?" He whispered as tears filled his eyes. "How can he, a vampire, be my mate?"