Shadows of Desire Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Unfortunately, there wasn't much that Rowan could do about the girl's dress. He obviously didn't carry children's clothing around with him and he had no time nor needle and thread to sew her anything proper to wear. That was another thing he planned to remedy once they made it to Ansonia.

Even before Thaden had hoisted Tallulah up onto the horse, Rowan had so many plans of how he was going to spoil the child once they made it to the Fae Kingdom. He imagined the warm greeting they would receive and then the feast that would follow. At night, they would sleep in an actual bed with silk sheets and a down comforter. In the morning, Thaden could scout out a cottage for them to set up house keeping. Maybe they would even find one big enough that they could keep Tallulah with them.

Rowan wasn't sure how Thaden would feel about that but Rowan was going to bring it up to him. If no one else wanted the child, Rowan saw no reason why they couldn't keep her and raise her as their own. It would certainly be better than letting her fend for herself in the wild. By the time Rowan had climbed up on the horse behind the child, he'd already made up his mind to keep her. It was as if his instincts to mother the child had taken over and he wasn't about to let go of her now. He just hoped that Thaden wouldn't object.

Tallulah was nervous getting up on Shadow dancer at first but once Rowan was seated securely behind her, she seemed to ease up a bit more. Thaden squeezed in behind them, scooting closer to Rowan than he had before. Rowan couldn't say that he minded but it was a tight squeeze. Luckily Shadow was a large horse, able to easily take the extra weight. Not that Tallulah weighed that much at all. She was tiny. Tiny, and quiet. The girl hardly spoke at all. She was hyper vigilant though, her eyes darting around as they rode down the dirt road. Any little sound made her tense and more than once she pressed herself in, against Rowan, as if trying to hide against him.

"What's wrong?" Rowan asked her, growing a bit concerned. Tallulah peered up at him, her expression worrisome. She was scared. When he pressed further, she put her finger to her lips to quiet him. "They're watching." She said in a barely audible whisper.

Rowan looked to Thaden, questioningly. Thaden shrugged.

"Who's watching?" Thaden asked her.

She hesitated a moment, as if saying would draw out the very thing she feared but after a moment she finally whispered, "The wee men with red hats."

Thaden groaned hearing what the girl said and Rowan could tell by the way Thaden's muscles suddenly tensed that he didn't like what he'd heard. "Blood caps." Thaden told him when he saw the confusion on Rowan's face.

"What are blood caps?" Rowan asked.

"They're a type of goblin known for attacking travelers heading into Ansonia. They're small but wicked fast and can be very dangerous if you're caught. They've been known to kill in large numbers. You can spot them by the red caps they wear. They're said to be dipped in the blood of their victims."

Rowan looked down at Tallulah, snuggled against him. No wonder the child was so scared. He wondered how she had managed to survive so long with creatures like blood caps running around.

"How do we avoid them?" Rowan asked.

"Ride fast." Thaden said with a sigh. "And hope they don't follow."

Rowan cringed. He didn't like the sound of that. He'd never heard of blood caps before but they didn't sound like anything he'd care to meet. Especially not during the day when he was at his weakest and there were no shadows to conceal him. He felt exposed and helpless. Not a feeling he cared for at all but there was nothing he could do. Nightfall wouldn't be for several more hours and they'd likely reach Ansonia by then. If nothing happened to them before they made it that far that was.

Fortunately, the goblins didn't seem overly interested in the three travelers. Other then being pelted by small stones at one point, they were otherwise left alone. After the first assault, Shadow dancer reared up and then slammed her hooves down hard on the road with an angry snort. The stones dropped and there was a slight rustling in the trees and bushes and then everything went quiet once more. Rowan snickered. "I think she scared them away."

Thaden nodded. "Blood caps don't like horses, especially black ones. There are black demon horses that tend to eat them but they rarely come out during the day."

"Demon horses?" Rowan knew he should be frightened by such a thing but instead he found himself intrigued. He pictured a sleek, black, horse with red eyes running through the night under a full moon. Instead of frightening, he found the image in his head to be quite beautiful. "Do you think we might see one on our journey?"

Thaden snorted. "Let us hope not."

Rowan sulked down into the saddle and Thaden chuckled. "Don't romanticize them, my love. Their fearsome creatures and quite deadly, no matter how beautiful they may seem."

"It's just..." Rowan sighed.

"What?"

"You've seen so much of the world. I've seen nothing. I'm only now beginning to see all the things I've missed out on. You must think me so naive and ignorant of the world."

"No." Thaden shook his head. "I just think you've lived a very sheltered life. By no fault of your own, of course. But it no longer has to be that way and you have an entire lifetime ahead of you to experience all the things that your father has kept from you."

Rowan smiled and lay his head back against Thaden's chest. "You always know the right things to say." He murmured.

"You're my mate." Thaden reminded him. "It's my purpose in life to keep you happy."

***

Tallulah, who Rowan had affectionately began referring to as Tally, had fallen asleep against Rowan's chest about an hour into their journey. He couldn't blame her really. The rhythmic movements of the horse's steady foot steps on the road was enough to put Rowan to sleep as well but he knew he had to stay awake and vigilant. The child in his arms depended on him to keep her safe.

Rowan kept a protective arm around her small frame, tightening his grip on her when she would start to sway to either side. They stopped only twice to rest, stretch, and refill their skins. By the time the sun had begun to dip down past the tree line, Thaden had steered the horse off the main road and onto a smaller trail leading into the forest. Tally began to stir as the sky darkened and she was met with the sounds of crickets chirping, an owl hooting in the distance, and the all the sounds of night coming alive around her.

Rowan smiled as he took in all the sounds and saw the shadows once more converge around him as though coming to greet him like a long lost friend. He was in his element now and as the forest awoke around him, so did his senses. He sniffed the air, taking in the subtle differences around him. A rodent scurried by on his right and above him a black bird fluttered past. Floral aromas rose up around him and many of them he didn't recognize. It was as if they were entering another world entirely and to Rowan, it was beautiful.

As they entered the forest path, the trees began to line the path as though specifically guiding them on their way. The leaves overhead shielded them from the darkening sky but Rowan could still make out tiny specks of amber light peaking between the many leaves overhead. It was maybe twenty minutes before the trees began to thin and Rowan saw that they were entering a clearing of sorts. That's all he could think to call it though it wasn't completely clear, strange trees that resembled toad stools, though much larger, sprang up around them along with radiant, glowing flowers, of white and celestial blue that littered the forest floor. Light orbs danced around in a thick mist that covered the entire area and up ahead Rowan could hear the sound of running water.

Before long, the dirt path had diverged onto a stone road framed by the odd flowers he had seen in the clearing. The road led up a small hill to a stone bridge that allowed them to pass over the flowing stream that Rowan had heard earlier. Shadow dancer trotted along happily but Thaden was suddenly hyper aware of their surroundings. It was around this time that Tally also began to wake. Her eyes went wide as she seemed to recognize where they were and Thaden brought the horse to an almost slow crawl. He seemed nervous, almost hesitant as he looked around the area. Rowan could guess as to his unease.

They had entered what looked like a small village of oddly structured homes made of various materials that ranged from wood and straw to moss covered stone dwellings that seemed to be carved right into the side of a small mountain. The stone road continued to wind around the center of the village and then branch off with one side leading to the carved structures and the other side leading to what looked like a row of houses built into large trees. Beneath the massive trees were small houses, far to small for a regular sized man or woman to enter. Even Tally would have had a hard time entering one.

Some were constructed of the same toad stool like trees they had passed earlier though much smaller, standing at around two to three feet tall. Others looked oddly like four feet tall pine cones with tiny porches built right onto the fronts of them. It was all very strange but Rowan found it also kind of adorable. The only thing that really gave him pause, and could be the source of Thaden's unease, was the fact that despite the village seeming well kept and with an obvious lived in look, it appeared to be deserted.

Rowan looked at Thaden with confusion. "Where are the inhabitants?" He asked.

Thaden took a moment to scan the area before softly answering, "They're here. Just hidden."

Rowan turned back towards the village. The entire area was shrouded in the thick mist that covered the forest floor. The sky was dark now and the only lights that could be seen were from the orbs floating around. Rowan had an eerie feeling looking at those orbs. Something about them just seemed off.

"What is this place?" Rowan asked. "Another village on the way to Ansonia?"

"This is Ansonia." Thaden told him.

"This?" Rowan's eyes widened in surprise. "I thought Ansonia was an entire Kingdom, not a tiny village."

Thaden chuckled as he drew the horse to a stop in the center of the village. He quickly hopped down and then tied the horse off in front of a medium sized building that seemed to be at the heart of the village. "Ansonia is a Kingdom. It's a Fae Kingdom though. They have no need for extravagance, preferring to live simpler and more secluded lives."

As Thaden helped Tally and then Rowan down from the horse, Rowan took the time to once more glance around at their surroundings. Ansonia was a far cry from what he had originally thought it would be. Gone were his illusions of sleeping in a large bed, bathing in a proper tub of heated and scented water, or partaking of a large feast. It was all so underwhelming and he was admittedly a bit disappointed.

"Come." Thaden said, extending his hand with a smile. "We walk to the Palace from here."

Rowan took his hand, allowing Thaden to lead him through the quiet streets. Tally kept close to Rowan's side, clutching at his cloak as she glanced nervously around them. Rowan looked down at her with concern. "What's wrong, love?" He asked the child.

Tally looked up at him, her eyes full of fear, then pressed her face into the hem of his tunic. "Do you know this place?" Rowan asked her.

Tally nodded. "The little people brought me here." She whispered against him. "They put me in a cage." She shivered as tears filled her eyes. Rowan looked up at Thaden questioningly but Thaden only shrugged.

"Keep her close." Thaden told him. "We have no idea what they're reaction to her will be."

"If they've hurt her..." Rowan began but Thaden put his hand up to silence him. "Remember, little fox, we're not alone. You may not see anyone, but that doesn't mean they're not listening."

Rowan nodded in understanding. He'd keep his thoughts to himself for now. There was no telling how the Fae would react to any of them arriving unannounced in their Kingdom.

***

The Fae Palace was a large stone structure that resembled a head that was jutting out from the side of the mountain. Two large crescent shaped windows resembled eyes that looked out over the entire village. The door was a large, gaping, mouth that seemed frozen in a timeless scream. A stone staircase that was moss covered and nearly hidden beneath wild grass and flowers led up the mountain to the gaping mouth of the palace.

Rowan expected there to be guards stationed at the entrance but there were none. Only more of the glowing orbs. As they approached the entry way, a bluish light flickered from within and Rowan suddenly understood. The Palace was guarded by magic. Thaden stopped just before the entrance and looked towards the floating orbs who now seemed to collect right in front of the three weary travelers.

"We've come to seek an audience with King Vorigan." Thaden said, speaking to the orbs. "I am Prince Thaden of Rosegate and my companion is Price Rowan of Basmorte."

The orbs swirled around for a moment then, to Rowan's surprise, parted like a bright, shimmering, curtain and allowed the three to enter. Thaden bowed to the orbs, thanked them and then took the lead, walking slowly and cautiously inside. Rowan stepped in behind him, Tally still clinging to his cloak.

The inside of the 'mouth' opened to a short corridor that led into a spacious room, presumably within the center of the mountain. The Palace, Rowan could tell, was more like a keep than a castle. The one room he could see was nearly empty of furniture save for a stone throne that was sat near the back of the room on a raised, stone, dais. There was a door to the left that Rowan could see led to a stairwell that winded downward. Into what he could not tell because it was black as pitch past the first several steps. Other than that one door, there seemed to be no other rooms leading off from the main one.

The room was oddly scare of people as well. Unlike Basmorte or even Rosegate where many people would have filled the main hall, this room only held four people. Rowan couldn't even see any guards or servants standing around. Thaden took Rowan's hand and led him to the front where they both bowed before the four people seated on the dais. Beside the throne was another, smaller, chair where a beautiful young woman sat staring at the three visitors. Her face was blank and unreadable. To her right were two stools and on each of them sat a pair of youths, one male and one female. They were so similar in looks that they could have been twins.

Like the woman, whom Rowan assumed was their mother, the youths had light, pink, hair and large blue eyes. They were fair complected with rosy cheeks and red lips. Each were small in frame and not very tall. Even their parents were small and slight, resembling older children rather than adults. On the throne, a man sat, leaning to one side with his arm propped on the arm rest of the throne. He had light blond, almost white hair and a short, neatly trimmed, white beard. A crown made of vines sat upon his head and he was dressed in green and brown clothing with a long, fur lined, cloak hanging over one shoulder.

The woman as well as the two youths were also dressed in soft, earthy tones that matched the rustic village outside. Their attire was simple but elegant and the gowns the females wore were befitting of noble women of court. The man on the throne waved his hand for Thaden and his companions to rise and as Thaden stood, he locked eyes with the man.

"King Vorigan." Thaden greeted the King. "I am Prince Thaden of Rosegate."He turned and motioned for Rowan to take a step forward. "And this is my mate, Prince Rowan of Basmorte. We've come to seek sanctuary from our home lands and ask permission to cross through Ansonia and into Pickaway village."

King Vorigan raised an eyebrow as he listened to Thaden speak. A small smirked played across his thin lips and he straightened up in his throne as though suddenly taking an interest in what the elven Prince had just said. "Pickaway village you say." He let the words fall lazily from his mouth as he stroked his beard in contemplation. "What business have you there?" He asked.

"Nothing of an official nature." Thaden explained. "My mate and I merely wish to build a home together. A life where our union will be accepted and we can live in peace, safely."

King Vorigan chuckled mockingly. "I assume then that your father doesn't approve of your mate being a vampire?"

Thaden frowned. "My father disproves of many things." He said, dryly.

"I see." Vorigan's eyes drifted over Tally. Rowan didn't miss the frown on the older man's face. "What of that thing?" He asked, pointing to the child. "Are you keeping it as a slave?"

"Certainly not!" Rowan scowled as he pulled Tally closer to him, protectively. Thaden squeezed his hand in warning but Rowan wouldn't be silenced. "She's merely a child. We found her abandoned and frightened. She's in need of loving parents, not cruel masters."

Thaden sighed and shook his head but rather than being offended, the old King seemed more amused. "See this, Nova, my dear? A vampire with a heart." He laughed.

A small smile crept across the Queen's lips as she watched Rowan carefully. "Indeed, my love." The Queen rose from her chair and stepped slowly, gracefully, down the steps of the dais and stood before Rowan, looking him over with a scrutinizing gaze as though she were inspecting merchandise at an auction. Her inspection made Rowan slightly nervous but to his credit, he did not flinch away as he allowed the Fae Queen to study him.

Finally, the Queen smiled the first genuine smile Rowan had seen from these people and she placed a hand over his heart. Her touch was warm and comforting and Rowan suddenly felt all of the tension and worry he'd felt earlier slip away. "His soul speaks to me." The Queen said. Her voice was soft and fluttery but with a depth that resonated with Rowan in the innermost parts of his soul. "There is more to this child than what we see on the surface. His soul is old, transcendental, and with a divine beauty I've not seen in ages. He is truly blessed by the Goddess."

Vorigan narrowed his eyes as he leaned forward and looked at Rowan for himself. His expression was contemplative and for once, serious, as he considered the Queen's words. "What say you then, Wife? Should we grant them safe passage into Pickaway village?"

The Queen turned to look at her husband, the expression on her face earnest. "Grant them whatever it is they wish." She said, lifting the hem of her skirts as she ascended the steps once more and returned to her seat. "They are on a path set forth by the Goddess. It is not our place to distract them from this path."

"And the child?" The King pointed to Tally.

"Whatever they wish." The Queen said sternly, raising an eyebrow as she looked at the King.

The King nodded. "Very well." He then looked to Thaden. "I'll grant you safe passage through Ansonia and into Pickaway village. Once there you have my permission to stay should you find adequate lodgings but expect no special treatment. You are no longer a Prince in these lands and will be expected to make your own way the same as every other resident in the village."

"I understand." Thaden bowed. "Thank you, your majesty. We greatly appreciate this opportunity."

"Yes, I am sure that you do." The King looked Thaden over thoughtfully then after a minute or so he looked to Rowan. "I will warn you however, that Ansonia is a peaceful Kingdom. I intend to keep it that way, and to keep my people safe. If for one moment I suspect that my people are in danger, I will have your heads. I don't care who you are or where you're from. I do not tolerate lawlessness here."

1...345678