Shadows of Desire Ch. 07

Story Info
The story continues.
25.9k words
4.91
1.9k
3

Part 7 of the 11 part series

Updated 12/15/2023
Created 06/28/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Chancem77
Chancem77
206 Followers

A/N Wanted to add this here for a little clarification on races in this story.

In this world there are five main races. Vampires and Fae, Humans, Weres, and Otherkin.

The Fae is a broad term for beings such as faerie, mere-folk, sirens, banshee, Dwarfs, halflings, Changlings, Gnomes, Brownies, Dryads, Dullahan, Bog people, and the seelie and unseelie court. Elves are also in this category. If a character is an Elf they will be specifically mentioned as Elf. If they are referred to as Fae they can be any of the above mentioned Fae. There are other Fae as well but I only listed those that have been or might be mentioned in the story. Weres are shifters that can shift at anytime but MUST also shift during a full moon such as Werewolves. If they are not forced to shift under a full moon they are just shifters (people who can shift into different animals). Humans are just ordinary Humans. Otherkin would be creatures such as Demons, Angels, Gods, Goddesses and Dragons, just to name a few. Witches, Wizards, and other magic users can exist within any race, even humans. Note that each race may have a God or Goddess that they worship but that deity is not nessasarily of that particular race. In this world deities are of a race known as the Tuatha De Danann or just shortened to Tuatha. They are immortal being with supernatural powers and are responsible for the creation of all other races.

Thanks, and hope you enjoy the story.

WAYFARING PRINCE

Rowan and Thaden had barely left the inn when the first drop of rain had fallen, lightly hitting the side of Rowan's face. Rowan closed his eyes and turned his face up to the sky as more drops fell, splashing against his skin. Thaden chuckled as he watched him.

"I've never seen someone so happy about being caught in the rain." He remarked.

Rowan smiled. "After being locked away in my father's castle for so long it's a welcome sensation." He opened his eyes and looked back at Thaden. "When I lived at Ravenskeep, I would often go outside and play in the rain. It felt natural. I felt free."

"You're free now." Thaden kissed the top of his head. "And you can play in in the rain anytime you wish. Walls will no longer hold you and you'll never need to fear the shadows again."

"I've never feared the shadows." Rowan said. His voice took on a more melancholy tone as he recalled what life was like at the palace. "The shadows became my sanctuary. They hid me from my father's wrath. Within the shadows I could truly be unseen."

"You speak like an unseelie." Thaden chuckled.

"Maybe that's what I am." Rowan looked at him, his expression serious as he pondered the possibility. "No one really knows what I am. But being a member of the night court seems fitting, don't you think?"

"No." Thaden said, his smile fading. "The unseelie court are monsters. Evil and twisted. True they live in the shadows and come out at twilight but they're malevolent tricksters. They thrive on chaos and wickedness and can't be trusted."

"Have you ever seen one?" Rowan asked, curiously.

Thaden nodded. "They live deep in the mountains of Morag, east of the valley of Mor. My father had dealings with them once when I was a boy. Their Queen, Genyrth, came to the Palace of Rosegate with a Dullahan called Gadran. He was the most ghoulish thing I'd ever laid eyes on. He carried his head beneath his arm and his skin was sickly white, like a corpse. I recall he had piercing yellow eyes and stark white hair. The Queen wasn't much better. White hair and pale white, almost gray skin. Her eyes were black and she wore a bone crown on her head, the center piece was a raven's skull."

Rowan shivered as he pictured the woman wearing such a grizzly crown. It reminded him of his father's crest. "The raven is a symbol of the Goddess Morrigu." Rowan pointed out. "Do they worship her?"

"They worship death." Thaden told him. "Darkness and death."

The chill in Thaden's voice told Rowan that despite being Fae, like Thaden, the elven Prince feared the unseelie, maybe as much as he feared vampires. There seemed to Rowan though, to be an odd similarity between the two. Not all unseelie drank blood though some did, but all were dangerous creatures to be feared. Rowan was suddenly grateful that he'd never had the displeasure of meeting one face to face.

***

Thaden knew they were hours still from Ansonia. If they kept going they might make it there by morning but the rain had picked up quite a bit and he just couldn't reason going any further with the storm bearing down on them.

As they rode through the darkness Thaden did his best to steer the horse, Shadow dancer, but visibility was getting worse. Even Shadow dancer seemed unable to find her way in the pouring rain and inky blackness. They had long ago left the road, preferring to travel within the forest where they were less likely to be seen, but now Thaden wished he'd kept to the road. At least then he would have some idea of where he was going.

Rowan had pulled his hood over his head at the first sign of rain and for the last ten minutes had kept his head down as he snuggled closer to Thaden. He lifted his head suddenly though as a familiar scent caught his attention. "Someone's roasting a meselbeast." Rowan said, licking his lips.

Thaden sniffed the air but all he could smell was rain. "How do you know?" He asked.

Rowan grinned then tapped the side of his nose. "Not as strong as a were but stronger than yours." He giggled.

"Show off." Thaden chuckled. He squinted his eyes as he looked in the direction that Rowan had indicated. He was about to tell Rowan that he didn't see anything when he noticed smoke billowing up over the tree line. "Looks like there might be a village over that way." He said, pointing to the direction of the smoke.

Rowan glanced that way. "Do you think it's safe?"

"We're near Ansonia now." Thaden told him. "So, it could be a small settlement of Fae or an Elven village. We're far enough from Basmorte that it wouldn't be vampires or weres."

"Then, it's safe for you." Rowan bit his bottom lip nervously, tensing some in Thaden's arms. "I'm not so sure they would be very welcoming to me."

Thaden pulled Rowan against him, hugging him close to his body. "No one is going to harm you, love. Do you think I'd allow that?"

"I know you wouldn't. It's just..."

Thaden cut him off, kissing the top of his head. "You're safe with me, Rowan. You've nothing to fear."

Rowan nodded though not completely convinced. After the reaction they'd gotten from Esta and the other patrons of the tavern, Rowan wasn't convinced he'd ever be completely safe again. He was beginning to realize just how hated vampire's actually were outside the gates of Basmorte. Thanks to his father, Rowan had enemies everywhere. Not just in Rosegate. It seemed the entire world despised his race.

***

Thunder rumbled overhead and lighting split the sky. Thaden urged Shadow dancer through the storm, coming closer to where he'd seen the smoke and the delicious scent of roasting meat. Rowan's mouth watered as the aroma of food got stronger and more potent. The bread and cheese that Lavinia had sent with them was filling and the dried meat was quite good, but Rowan longed for a hot meal next to a warm fire that would quickly chase away the chill of the rain.

Slowly, Shadow dancer made her way through the thick trees, swerving and barely able to fit through a couple of massive oaks that stood, almost as a gateway, into the tiny village. Rowan stared amazed at what came into view before them. Not the sturdy cottages or farm houses that he had seen in both Basmorte and Rosegate. No manor houses or castles filled the area either. Tiny huts with thatched roofs littered the clearing.

The horse stepped out of the forest and onto a dirt road, now mud covered thanks to the rain. Shadow Dancer's hooves sank into the sludge nearly making it impossible to tread through. The horse struggled so much that Thaden finally dismounted then led the horse through by hand. Rowan gripped the reins tightly as to not fall off as Thaden jerked and tugged, moving the horse slowly forward.

The closer they came to the village, the more detail Rowan was able to make out. It was a quaint little town and in the day light would have been quite beautiful. Everywhere Rowan saw flowers arranged in hanging pots or planted around the tiny huts. Green shrubs and vines covered many of the homes and there were small trees growing between the huts, some actually inside the huts and growing up through the roofs. In the center of the village was a good sized water well with a wooden roof stretched out over the top. The well was made of red brick and more tiny flowers sprouted up around the base.

The smell of roasted meat was coming from a small building that Rowan suspected to be a butchers shop, as he could see the meat roasting on a spit over a fire in a window of the shop. The storm had chased most of the residents inside but Rowan saw a couple of people running across the road going from one hut to what looked to be a small barn or hutch. From inside the hutch Rowan could hear the bleating of goats. One of the residents, a young girl, stopped long enough to pull back her hood and take a good look at the riders entering their village.

Thaden waved to the girl and Rowan caught the sight of green hair and red eyes as the girl quickly pulled her hood back up then ran back to her hut. "Wood Nymphs?" Rowan asked, looking to Thaden for clarification.

Thaden nodded. "It would appear so." He looked around the small village, taking it all in. "Would explain why this village is hidden in the middle of a forest. Wood Nymphs prefer to be close to nature, specifically large trees."

Wood Nymphs. Otherwise known as Dryads. Rowan stared at the village in awe. He'd known only a few Dryads in his young life and those had been slaves in Basmorte. This was the first time he had actually seen any in their natural dwelling. With a pang of regret and guilt he just realized how hard it must be for the ones at the Palace to live in such a place, far from the woods that gave them their power. Dryads were spirits of nature. Many of them had their souls linked to specific trees. Ancient trees that stood towering and majestic.

It must have pained them greatly to be ripped from their homes and forced to serve vampires who cared nothing for them. It was no wonder the vampires were hated by so many. Rowan couldn't blame them. He could only imagine what it was like for them. He was away from the only home he'd ever known and thrown into a world that was frighting and unfamiliar but that had been by his own choice. He hadn't been torn away from his family and thrust into a life of servitude and captivity. More than ever he wished that he could just march into Basmorte, challenge his father for the throne, and free all of the slaves.

Sighing in frustration, Rowan looked down at his hands grasping at the reins. He suddenly wanted to turn around and flee. How could he face these people let alone ask for their assistance when so many of their kind had been enslaved or even killed by his own father? He cursed himself for being a coward. How could he ever hope to change anything when he couldn't even face his own demons? Maybe his days of hiding in the shadows were over but he was still hiding from himself. How long could he go on running when so many others were suffering and all he could do was turn a blind eye? Something had to change and soon or he wouldn't be able to look himself in the eye much longer.

While he was busy scolding himself, Rowan failed to notice the two people who had come out of the hut that young girl had run into. Thaden had stopped and the two, a man and a woman, walked up to him, cautiously. Thaden held up his hands to show that he was no threat to them. The woman glanced to the sword at his waist but said nothing. Even in the darkness Rowan could make out the expression on the man's face. His eyes glanced at Thaden then to Rowan as if he were assessing them both. He didn't trust either of the strangers who had just ventured into his village.

The woman was harder to read as her face was partcially concealed by the hooded cloak she wore but judging by the way she held back, clinging to the man who was probably her mate, Rowan guessed that she trusted them even less.

"Greetings, friends." Thaden spoke. Trying to ease the tension in the air. "I mean you no harm. My mate and I have traveled here from Rosegate. We unfortunately got caught in this storm and are in need of lodging."

"Rosegate?" The man stroked his green, grassy, beard. "You're a long way from home."

"Indeed." Thaden smiled warmly at the couple, again showing them that he was not to be feared. "We're traveling to Ansonia."

"What business do you have there?" The woman asked, speaking for the first time. Her voice was cold and unnerving.

"My business is my own." Thaden answered her in the same friendly voice he'd been using though the meaning behind his words was clear. He didn't trust these people anymore than they trusted him.

"We got no room here." The woman snapped, pulling her woolen shawl tighter around her stooped shoulders. "And we don't like strangers."

"Aggie." The man scolded. He shook his head at his mate and she turned away with a huff. The man turned back to Thaden and smiled. "Forgive my wife. We don't get many travelers come this way. Just seems a bit odd that you'd be so far off the main road. Only men who don't wish to be found take the dark route through the forest."

"I'm embarrassed to say, I veered off the main road when the storm hit and lost my way." Thaden lied. "It's too dark to make it back to the road now. I thought perhaps we could find shelter and wait out the storm then get back on the road in the morning."

"Well, yeah, I suppose it'll be alright. If it's just for the night, mind you." The old man scratched the back of his neck as he considered what to do. Aggie shot him an angry glare.

"Elor!" Aggie hissed. "You can't just..."

"Oh, shut your trap woman." Elor sneered. "It's just for one night. Would you have me turn them out in the rain?"

Aggie gave a disgusted grunt, threw her hands up in the air then shuffled back into the hut. Elor turned back to Thaden. "Only space I got is in the barn with the goats. It don't smell great but at least it's warm and dry."

"We appreciate your hospitality." Thaden told him.

Elor nodded then turned and headed for the barn, waving at Thaden and Rowan to follow.

Rowan dismounted with Thaden's help and walked beside him as Thaden lead the horse over to the barn. He had to tie her up outside though as she was too large to fit into the tiny, goat sized, stalls. Even Thaden had to duck his head to get through the door. Rowan's head barely brushed the top of the doorway as he followed Thaden inside. As small and cramped as the barn was, the huts were even smaller. Rowan doubted that he and Thaden would have even fit in one. Maybe had they been alone, but not with an entire family of Nymphs.

Wood Nymphs weren't as small as a Dwarf or Halfling but they were smaller than Elves or Vampires. Leaner too, having a short and delicate frame with slender limbs and a small waist. Their facial features also tended to be small and dainty with a small nose and thin-if any at all-eyebrows. Their eyes were small and narrow, often hidden beneath their bark like skin and their iris's were usually of a red or amber color. Their fingers, though abnormally long, were thin and often resembled small tree branches with claw like nails.

There was no mistaking what they were when one encountered them, if they were in their true form. Nymphs were shapeshifters and could take on the shape of anything from a small woodland creature to a beautiful woman bathing beside a lake. Most were benevolent but they were fiercely protective of their homes and family and could become violent when threatened. Woodcutters have long told stories of the unlucky man who attempted to chop down a tree belonging to a wood Nymph and never being heard from again.

In Basmorte, Rowan had never witnessed any of the powers of the Dryad slaves. Being so far from their homes weakened them and drained their energy. Water Nymphs were harder to enslave as any source of water could give them strength and so they would often retaliate against their captors. Dryads though needed to be in wooded areas, around plants and trees, and they needed sunlight to stay healthy. Keeping them in dark, dank, and cramped cells when not working ensured that they would never have the strength to fight back.

The Vampires had other such methods of enslaving supernaturals as well. Magic binding collars were one they used a lot. Such collars could keep Elves from casting spells and even keep shifters from changing form. Weres however, were another matter entirely. The collars would keep them from selectively shifting but they could not counter the magic of the moon and the Weres would shift despite the collar. Some would die from the strain but others, the more stronger ones, would break the collar and the transformation would complete itself.

Weres under the call of the moon were stronger, bigger, faster, and more aggressive. They could not be tamed or controlled. Not when their beast had control of them. They were deadly and terrifying. Werewolves were the most dangerous of all Weres, with Werecats coming in at a close second. Rowan had never seen a Werecat but he'd heard of them. To him, they sounded fascinating but they tended to live more in the mountainous areas and largely kept to themselves. Still, he would have loved to have met one, just once.

Rowan had always had a liking of cats. Especially black ones. He loved their small, sleek bodies, and the way they could appear and disappear in the blink of an eye. They seemed magical and so mysterious. Like him, they were creatures of the night. Beautiful but deadly. Also, they made for good companions. He'd begged his father to allow him to keep one as a pet but his father had refused. Eventually he just stopped asking. Knowing that it wouldn't do him any good. Now that he was free of his father though, he was going to make a point of getting one. Once he and Thaden were settled somewhere.

The barn was indeed warm and dry and there was an empty stall near the back with fresh, clean, hay laid on the floor where Thaden and Rowan could sleep for the night. Thaden thanked Elor again as Rowan walked to the stall and laid their bags and skins down on the hay. He removed his hood and turned back to Thaden, smiling, he walked over and stood at his side.

"You are very kind for allowing us to stay here." Rowan said as he slipped his hand into Thaden's. "We've been traveling so long and..." He stopped speaking as his eyes met Elor's and Elor scowled at him, anger burning in his eyes. He turned at once to Thaden, ignoring Rowan's words.

"What is this?" The man growled suddenly. "You never said you were traveling with a Vampire."

Thaden squeezed Rowan's hand, signaling him to stand behind him. "He's my mate." Thaden said, his voice sounding colder now as he narrowed his eyes. "He's no danger to you or anyone else in this village."

"If you believe that then you're a fool." The old man hissed. "The only good Vampire is a dead Vampire."

Thaden moved his hand to the hilt of his sword. "I think we'll take our chances in the rain." He growled. "Rowan, get our things, we're leaving."

"Rowan?" The old man's eyes widened as he stared at the two strangers. "Prince Rowan? The supposedly dead, Prince Rowan?"

Thaden groaned internally. He wasn't prepared to reveal their identities to the people of this village. His mistake could potentially cost them their freedom. Getting defensive, Thaden bore his eyes into Elor. "Now, listen here old man..." But, just as he was about to threaten the man to keep his silence, Rowan unexpectedly stepped out from behind him and placed his hand gently on Thaden's arm.

Chancem77
Chancem77
206 Followers
123456...8