Shadows of Desire Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Once he was in the room above the lower chamber and had made certain that it was safe, he motioned for Rowan to come up. Greagor helped him through the hatch in the floor and then both waited as Aidan made his way through. Greagor closed the hatch and then placed a finger to his lips and pointed to the floor above. Rowan understood at once what he meant. Greagor did not want them to make any noise that would alert the guards above that they were there.

Greagor waved his hand, signaling for the others to follow him as he quietly made his way across the room to the west door, leading to the yard outside. Under the cover of night they should be able to go undetected if they kept to the wall. The real issue would come when they reached the gate house and had to explain to the guards stationed there what was going on. Greagor knew the men on duty. He had assigned them to the main gate himself. Hamish and Monro. Both good soldiers and loyal to the crown. Greagor just hoped they were loyal to him as well.

Greagor told Rowan to stay close. He opened the door and the cool air from outside rushed into the room, causing Rowan to shiver. Greagor and Aidan were unaffected by the cold but Rowan, being half Shee, felt it to his bones. Fall was slowly slipping away as winter drifted towards them. Rowan stepped out into the cool night and looked up at the moon. Full and mysterious looking, it's silver beams of light reached down from the heavens and lit a path through the darkness. Rowan let his head fall back, his face now raised to the night sky and he closed his eyes as he allowed his face to be bathed in the moonlight.

Somewhere in the distance a wolf howled. Rowan didn't pay it any mind though. His thoughts were elsewhere. Past the gate that held him within the city limits, past the Palace of Basmorte, even past the forest where the werewolves were, no doubt, running freely in their furs. Rowan's thoughts wandered to a place that could not be seen by people of this realm. He was thinking of Annwn, the land of the Tuatha. His thoughts had wandered to that of his mother. He could almost feel her close to him. Her presence was all around yet separated by the veil between the living and the dead.

He could feel the stillness in the air, and the shift of energy as the moon shone down on him. At first he didn't understand why he was feeling what he was feeling. He'd been locked in the dungeon for days, not really knowing how long he'd been there, or even knowing what day it was. But, standing in the yard near the wall now he understood. This was the night of Sauin, the end of the fall harvest and the night when the veil was at it's weakest. He could feel his mother's presence and sense her power because her spirit was closer to him now that it had ever been. Caroline had chosen this night to execute Rowan as an insult to him and his ancestors. Probably as a slight against the Goddess Morrigu herself.

Rowan had to smirk when he thought of Caroline and how angry she must be now. Her plan had failed miserably. If either of them were to die this night, Rowan was absolutely positive that it would not be him. He would make certain of that, in fact. As soon as he met up with Thaden again, he would speak to him about going back to Rosegate. There Thaden could convince his father and brother to invade Basmorte. Rowan would ride alongside them and take back the throne. Caroline could then be locked in the dungeons until her trial. For once she would be alone, without friends or allies. Rowan wasn't sure yet what he would have done with Emilia but one thing he knew for sure was that the bitch would be joining her mother in a rat infested cell.

A hand lightly touched Rowan's shoulder and Rowan turned to see Aidan standing beside him. The squire nodded towards Greagor who was already moving towards the gate house. He looked back to the others and motioned with his head for them to follow.

Just as Greagor had anticipated, Hamish and Monro were inside the gate house but they weren't playing cards as they normally did. Instead, they were speaking with another guard, a young guard who had only served under Greagor for the past three years but still, Greagor knew the man well. What puzzled him though was why the man was there. He wasn't stationed at the guard house or the main gate. He was ordered to provide security in the court yard just in case the crowd decided to riot when they realized who it was the Queen was planning to execute.

Of course, Rowan never made it to the courtyard or the pyre that had been erected to burn him but, that did not give Evander permission to leave his post. The only one who could have ordered him to leave was the Queen. So, that begged the question, why was he there? What had the Queen ordered him to do?

"Evander?" Greagor stepped into view of the gate house, Rowan and Aidan safely behind him. His voice was stern and commanding but without anger, just curiosity. "Why are you here?" He asked the obvious question. "You were stationed at the court yard."

"Captain." Evander turned and bowed and when Greagor saw the young man's face he paled.

"What in Sheul's name happened to you?" Greagor demanded.

Evander explained to Greagor what the Queen had done to him, as he had explained it to Hamish and Monro. He then told Greagor of how the Queen had ordered him to alert the guard and have Greagor as well as the prisoner apprehended. Hearing this, Greagor was furious. Not only was the bitch Queen planning to murder the Prince and rightful heir to the throne but, now she was injuring his men for her own petty satisfaction. More so now than before Greagor was glad that he'd sided with Rowan. Basmorte needed a ruler that would care for its people. Vampire and Fae alike.

"So, you all now know that I've aided the prisoner in escaping." Greagor looked to the three guards with a raised brow as he studied their expressions. "The question now is, do you stand with me or, do you follow the rule of a corrupt Queen?"

Evander already knew the answer to that but, he was still curious. Who was this prisoner that Greagor was so willing to risk his life to save? And, why was Queen Caroline so hellbent on seeing him or her burn?

"My loyalty has always been with you, my Captain. That was never in question but, I have to ask, who is this prisoner that we are meant to protect? Why are they so important?" Hamish and Monro locked eyes with the captain and each nodded their heads, wondering the same thing.

"Maybe it's best that I let him explain." Greagor said and he stepped aside to allow Rowan to step forward.

"Gentlemen." Rowan addressed the three of them and the moment they saw his face all three men fell silent. It was obvious from their expressions of shock and confusion that they were trying to wrap their heads around what and who they were looking at. There, before them, stood the supposedly dead Prince, alive and well. Was this a joke? Some kind of trick? They just couldn't comprehend what it was that they were seeing. He wasn't a ghost nor a zombie. He looked exactly as he had before the fateful night he'd supposedly taken his own life.

He was still young, radiant, and enchanting to behold. Maybe a bit healthier looking and without the forlorn face he normally sported but, he was still Rowan, their lost Prince. Not knowing what to say or do, Hamish and Monro immediately took a knee, declaring their allegiance to Rowan but, Evander stood still, staring at the young man with a look on his face that was something between disbelief and anger.

"Evander." Monro whispered from where he knelt on the floor. "Kneel, for Sheul's sake, he is our Prince!"

"No." Evander said. His eyes remained locked on Rowan and his voice was low and accusing. "I will not kneel. Not until he explains himself."

"Evander!" Greagor scolded. "It is not your place!"

The two guards still kneeling grimaced at the ire in their captain's voice but Rowan only put up a hand, telling Greagor that it was alright.

"He's right." Rowan said. His voice remained calm and he spoke with understanding. "I owe him, I owe all of you, an explanation for my actions. What I did was deceitful, and cowardly. I thought only of myself and my own happiness and for that I am deeply sorry. I do feel though that my journey, as short as it was, has helped me grow into a better man and a more capable ruler than I would have been otherwise. This does not excuse my actions though. I am a servant of the people first and foremost and I should have thought about that before making such a rash decision."

"But, why?" Evander asked, narrowing his eyes. "Why did you abandon us in the first place? I could forgive such an act if you have a valid reason. Was your life in danger?"

Rowan motioned for Hamish and Monro to stand as he addressed the three of them. "I was a child, fearful of my father's wrath if I refused to wed Lord Killian. I did not love him. Honestly, I found him repulsive. I could think only of how miserable my life would be as that man's mate so, I did the only thing I could think of at the time. I ran away." Rowan went on to explain the circumstances of his fake death, leaving out the part about how Caroline and Emilia had planned to trick him into drinking actual poison. That was a tale best told at a later date, when they had more time.

There was much that Rowan wanted to explain but it could wait. The most important thing was reaching Thaden and planning their next move. Rowan assured the three guards that he intended to take back the throne from Caroline. He just couldn't do it alone. His only hope at this point was that the Elven King would take this opportunity to crush his long time enemy. Then, with Rowan and Thaden on the throne, perhaps they could work towards peace between the realms and possibly form an alliance. This all rested on finding Thaden though, telling him of Rowan's plan, and convincing Thaden to speak to his father.

"Where is the Elven Prince now?" Monro asked as they all sat around the table in the gatehouse.

"I was taken from Pickaway village." Rowan explained. "At the time, Thaden was there. I'm sure by now he's figured out that I was taken and is on his way here."

"Can you really be so certain of that?"Hamish asked.

Rowan smiled. "He's my mate. My true and fated mate. He will come for me. Besides, it is not just my life at stake." He gently touched his belly and the two guards eye's followed his hand to where it rested.

"My prince!" Hamish gasped. "You're in no condition to be going into battle!"

"Perhaps it won't come to that." Rowan told the man. "Most if not all of Basmorte is ready to revolt, or so I've heard. With the Elves backing me, perhaps my own troops will abandon Caroline and side with me, their true sovereign."

"What about the council?" Monro asked. "Some believe that they have aided Caroline in her rise to the throne. They may not acknowledge your claim."

Rowan sighed, pursing his lips as he nodded. "My father allowed the council too much power but, he was a weak ruler and cared little for the Kingdom. The council is here to guide and advise the King or Queen but, their word is not law. When it comes down to it, the one who holds the real power is the one who sits on the throne."

"What say you, Evander? Do you think the council will back Prince Rowan?" Hamish questioned Evander and all eyes turned towards the man but it became quickly apparent that Evander's attention was elsewhere. Rowan had to wonder if the man had even heard a word he'd said in the last ten minutes.

"Evander?" Hamish called out to him, attempting to bring his attention back to the conversation. Evander turned towards the other guard and looked up with a dazed expression on his face. Rowan followed to where his gaze had been only moments before and saw Aidan, standing behind him, blushing from ear to ear.

"The council?" Hamish repeated his earlier question. "Do you think the council will back the Prince?"

"Oh." Evander scratched the back of his head as he tried to piece together what the others had been discussing. He simply shrugged his shoulders. "Who's to know." He said. "All we can do is wait and see."

Hamish frowned, obviously not pleased with the answer but Evander didn't even seem to notice as he turned his attention back to Aidan. Aidan smiled at the man then averted his eyes as a deep blush once again rose up his cheeks.

Evander stood up and walked to Aidan who was now staring blankly at the floor. Evander placed a finger under the younger man's chin and lifted his head up so that they were looking at each other. "You have such beautiful eyes." Evander told him.

"T-thank you." Aidan said, the words coming out as a squeak that Evander found absolutely adorable.

"Perhaps when this is all over, you and I could spend some time together."

Aidan's eyes lit up at the suggestion and he nodded his agreement. "I-I would like that." He said.

Monro elbowed Hamish in the side then grinned. "I think Evander has more on his mind than politics." He said, and both men chuckled.

"Alright." Greagor said as he stood up from the table. "The two of you can moon over each other later. Our priority now is getting the Prince to safety and that means getting him out of Basmorte."

"I think Aidan should accompany the Prince once he leaves the city. It will be safer for him then." Evander was the first to speak up and a look passed between he and the squire. Greagor noticed it but said nothing. He wasn't sure if it was Rowan's safety or Aidan's that Evander was worried about but it didn't really matter. Aidan wasn't a warrior. He was little more than a messenger boy and would be of no use in a fight but, he could be useful to Rowan. At least the Prince wouldn't be alone when he left to find his husband.

"I agree." Greagor said. "Aidan, you will go with Prince Rowan and help him locate his mate. The four of us..." He motioned towards himself, Evander, and the others. "We'll make sure your path is clear and see you safely out of the city."

"And after that?" Rowan asked him. "The Queen will know you've helped me. How will you avoid capture."

Greagor pursed his lips. He hadn't thought that far ahead yet. "We'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it." He answered. In truth, he was worried about what the Queen would do when she discovered that Rowan had escaped and that Greagor had aided him in it. He feared most of all that she would go after his family just to make a point. He had to have faith though that Rowan would reach the Elven Prince in time and together, persuade the King to lend them his army. If Rowan's plan worked and he took back the throne then Greagor and his family would be safe, and so would all of Basmorte.

6. WHEN THE CROW SINGS

Greagor led the group out of the gate house. He didn't anticipate trouble but the guards on the wall and in the guard house were not aware of the situation. If the group was spotted trying to sneak Rowan and Aidan out of the city, the guards on lookout might attempt to stop them. Greagor could explain to them later what was going on but for the time being he would just order them to stand down and hoped they had enough sense to listen.

Hamish and Monro were the next to exit and Evander, staying close to Aidan, led he and Rowan outside behind the others. All the guards, including Greagor, formed a circle around Rowan and Aidan. Aidan moved closer to Rowan as though trying to shield Rowan with his own body. Greagor admired Aidan for his part in the escape. He may not have been a trained fighter but he was brave and loyal to his Prince. He would no doubt make a fine Knight one day. Of that Greagor was certain.

As the group made their way silently out of the gate house and along the wall to where the wicket was located near the gate and about fifteen feet from the gate house, Greagor noticed how quiet the night was. It as almost too quiet. The guards patrolling the wall had not noticed them and, it seemed like all life had stopped. Save for the sounds of crickets chirping in the distance there was nothing. Even the wolves had gone silent. At this hour they should have been able to hear the sounds of the city coming to life. Half the city had been at the courtyard, awaiting the execution but by now they would have realized that it wasn't happening and returned to their homes or work.

It was odd. There was no sound of anyone talking or bartering for goods, no sounds of carts being driven along the roads. No noises of children at play. It was as though the entire Kingdom of Basmorte had just abruptly cleared the streets and taken refuge in their homes. Greagor didn't like it. He didn't like the calm, still, quiet or the feeling he was suddenly getting. The feeling... of being watched.

The others had noticed it too. Each of them felt uneasy and the tension in the air was thick as their instincts were warning them that there was hidden danger near-by. Greagor tried to push his anxiety down. He was their captain, their leader. He couldn't show fear for the others would certainly pick up on that and panic but, the closer they got to the gate, the more he started to think that they were not alone.

The sounds of hooves rushing towards them broke the silence and each of the small group turned their heads to look in the direction that the sound was coming from. Rowan's heart sank when he saw four Knights riding towards them. The four that approached came to a stop three feet from where the group stood, waiting and watching. Rowan knew trying to run now would be a mistake. These men were warriors, trained killers. Even if Rowan ran now, they were likely hunt him down and either drag him back to the Queen or kill him on the spot.

A handful of Knights had been in Pickaway village the night Rowan had been taken but they were there as enforcers. They were the muscle. The guards were trained fighters as well but they were not the ones sent off into battle. They were meant to guard the gate and Palace, police the city, and protect the people as well as the royal family.

If Caroline had wanted the village wiped out she would have sent the Knights in alone. Sending Greagor and his guard meant she had wanted them captured and Questioned. The Queen would only send her Knights if she wanted someone dead. This did not sit well with Rowan because it became painfully aware to him exactly what the Queen was doing. These men were to apprehend him and take him to the Queen and then kill the others. Just by accepting help from Greagor and the others, Rowan had put their lives in jeopardy.

"Halt! In the name of the Queen." Rowan looked up towards the Knight who had spoken. He did not recognize the three men behind him but this man he did know. He was Sir, Richard Caffrey, a commander and, the three men behind him, were lieutenants.

Greagor motioned for the others to stay behind him as he stepped forward, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword. The three lieutenants rode around, surrounding Greagor's group and blocking their path. Each of the men looked so imposing as they sat upon their horses, their perfectly polished armor gleaming in the moonlight. Rowan was in awe of them. Greagor, on the other hand, stared at the men surrounding them with contempt.

He narrowed his eyes and frowned then turned his attention back to the Commander. "Sir Caffrey." He asked, his voice hard and stern. "None of your men are stationed at the gate. What business have you here?"

"I am here on her majesty's orders." Caffrey said. His voice was hard and emotionless as he looked down to Greagor. His eyes bore into the man, almost accusingly. Caffrey's staunch loyalty to the Queen never wavering.

Greagor's fingers tightened their grip around the hilt of his sword. He was ready for a fight, ready to defend the Prince and he knew that the men behind him would follow him into battle without a second thought. Their loyalty to their captain was every bit as steadfast as the Knight's was to their Queen. Greagor never doubted his men's honor. Not for one moment. What he did doubt, however, were their chances of surviving such a battle. Four guards and squire against the Queen's army did not bode well for them. True, there were only four Knights present. That didn't mean that more weren't hidden, just out of view, waiting on word from their commander to attack. Greagor just wasn't willing to take that chance.