Sharkbait Ch. 66-70

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The first objection was to the celebrity status Amy and I had attained, and others like Makani and Noelani might find, too. The letter made it clear that the hires must agree to appearances in the show, regardless of their position. "Werewolves need to blend into the population, not stand out," the conventional wisdom said. The fame from rescuing the boy was unavoidable, but everything since then was 'risky' and 'self-serving.' Never mind that I'd raised millions for my charitable foundation, or that my modeling job would have paid for my schooling. No, I was supposed to get mated, take over a Pack, and start popping out pups, like a good little Luna.

The second objection was to my restriction on female-only applicants. Werewolf society is strongly patriarchal, and the idea of a bunch of females without Manly Male Protection and Oversight was anathema to them. In some Alpha's minds, we were risking 'their' females with my 'foolish' insistence on an all-female crew. It was more than just a job when werewolves were involved. To work together effectively, the Werewolves all have to be in the same Pack and share the Pack link. It meant their females might join Alpha Steven's Pack and never returned. Worse, they feared that I was going to be that Alpha, forming a new Pack on the high seas, and doing it without a man at my side.

Their final objection was to me personally. I was eighteen and just starting college; what did I know about anything? After all, I'd made my fortune by enthralling a Vampire Master, not by hard work. I proved I could pose for the cameras and talk intelligently, but there was no way I could pull off a complicated project like this. I was risking more than just money. How could anyone entrust their Pack members to a girl barely of age?

The Werewolf Council decided to hold a hearing on my plan on Thursday at the Three Sisters Pack. I called Alpha Steven back, getting more details. He wanted me there on Wednesday night to go over our strategy and meet the Regional Chairs as they arrived. Luna Adrienne would be coming as well, which made me feel better about navigating the shark-infested waters of Werewolf politics.

Checking my other messages, I saw that Seaquest Las Vegas would be thrilled to have me make an appearance on Friday. Mercedes was on board with it and had worked with Lauren's agent to secure four ringside seats for me for the UFC Fight Night at the Bellagio. Bodyglove would have a photographer at the aquarium, and my publicist would ensure I'd get lots of exposure during the fight. I made a few calls, speaking with the VIP department at the Bellagio. They arranged for two suites and additional security for me during my visit; I'd spend Thursday and Friday nights at the exclusive hotel. Saturday evening was my appearance in Tampa Bay, and then I could fly back home Sunday.

My next call was to the charter air service I was using. I arranged for flights from San Diego to Bend, Oregon Wednesday afternoon, and from Bend to Las Vegas on Thursday evening. Once I was in Vegas, Bodyglove security would escort me on a first-class flight to Tampa Bay and then back home.

I asked Amy if she wanted to go, but she said she'd stay here. "I can't afford weather or a mechanical problem keeping me from Kai on Friday afternoon," she said. "Plus, this is your project. Having me there would make you look weaker."

I had a lot of planning and other work I had to do before I jetted out of town.

We had to get everything else out of our condo and get it cleaned up this week. Amy and I asked Susan to supervise this after we came back upstairs, and she agreed. "You know Lauren is fighting in UFC 287 on Friday, don't you?"

"Of course, she's got a tough match," Hammer said.

"She asked me to watch the fight, and I think her sensei should go."

"What are you doing for security," Hammer asked.

"I was going to have a retired SEAL sitting by me, and maybe an active-duty SEAL on the other side. Casino security will help as well."

I told them about the ringside seats, the exposure, and the event at the aquarium. "I have to fly to Oregon first, and I'll arrive in Vegas on Thursday. If you and Susan can go, that would be great."

"I have classes to teach until one on Friday," Hammer said. "Who's the SEAL?"

"James, if he wants to go."

"I thought you broke up with him," Hammer said.

"I still like him, but I decided he wasn't the guy I was going to marry. Vegas is a chance to make up for the way our last date ended in the ditch. I was going to call him today."

"Short notice, he might not be able to get off before Friday afternoon."

"Why don't I fly to Oregon and back down to Vegas with Vicki, so she isn't alone," Susan said. "You and James can fly to Vegas Friday and meet us there. The fights don't start until late anyway."

"I'll check into it," he said.

Dojo went well, and Lauren was thrilled I was going. I left a message for James, and he called me back at lunch. We had a good talk; James still wanted me but understood that I wasn't going to get serious with him. I told him he could stay with me in Vegas, but I was leaving there a virgin. We'd see about the rest.

I was playing with fire, but the burn felt so damn good.

Ch. 68

The four of us were burning the candle at both ends to get everything going. We kept up our exercise routines, did our coursework for our classes, and finished the move by Tuesday. We did get our damage deposit back Wednesday, and the neighbors who complained about the police waved at us as we left for the last time.

Hammer took Susan and me to the private air terminal over his lunch hour. I grabbed the bags while they said goodbye; he walked us to the entrance and watched us check in before returning to the dojo. Our flight was in a small dual-turboprop business aircraft, not a jet. It could comfortably seat six, so the two of us had plenty of room. After takeoff, Susan brought out the Italian cold cut sandwiches, chips, and juice bottles for our lunch. "What is your plan with the Council tomorrow?"

"I'm not taking any shit from them," I replied. "Where does the Council get off telling me what I can do with my life?"

Susan snorted and rolled her eyes. "Alphas bitch, and the Council listens. Men always think that the only way something gets solved is if they get involved in it." I pulled out my laptop and worked on my presentation during the flight, which got a little bumpy as we moved north. I was relieved when we finally landed at the airport in Bend.

Kaia and Jack were waiting for us as we got off the plane, and we both got big hugs before piling into their SUV. "Staying out of trouble, Vicki?"

I just snorted. "I didn't do anything wrong, Kaia. It's Alphas being all Alpha."

"Well, you convinced us to let our daughters go on your adventure, so a bunch of Alphas and Council members should be easy in comparison," Jack said. "I've never seen our twins get this excited about anything."

"It's going to be a lot of fun," I said. "We should have them signed to an endorsement deal by next week. What's on for tonight?"

"Not much," Jack said. "People are flying in all evening, and Alpha Steven is greeting them and getting them settled."

"Do I need to be there? I'd rather not talk about things tonight and then repeat everything tomorrow. I'd rather wolf out and stretch my legs."

"Me too," Susan said. "It's been too long since my wolf was free."

"City slickers," Jack said with a laugh. "I'll ask the Alpha if you can do a border patrol. A good six-hour run will settle those wolves right down."

"I'll take it," I said. Susan didn't want to be gone as long, so she took our bags to the rooms while I met up with the warriors and trackers doing the patrol. I put my clothes in one of the boxes in the woods before shifting, shaking out my gray-over-white fur. I gloried in my freedom as the four of us took off at a fast pace, heading for the border.

I got back just after midnight, coming into the kitchen looking for meat. "I figured I could wait for you here," Alpha Steven said over his milk and apple pie.

"Alpha," I said respectfully, as I went to check the fridge. "I didn't expect you'd be up."

"I wanted to talk to you before the others see you in the morning, Vicki." I found leftover barbecue beef and scooped some into a bowl to heat up in the microwave.

"Is there a problem with my plans?"

"I wouldn't have approved it if there was," he said. "There's something bigger at play here, and I haven't figured out what it is."

"They don't like the money and power I've attained?"

"Maybe, but I think it's more than that. People have had plans for you since you were five, Sharkbait. Those plans don't go away because you don't like them." I was getting damn tired of people thinking they could direct my life. I took the meat out and put a piece of apple pie in the microwave. "I don't want you to take shit from anyone, even the Council. You're a Mantled Alpha Heir; you could form a Pack in an hour if you wanted to."

I knew this, "I don't want to do that, Alpha. I like being in your Pack, and I still need your help."

"I'm glad. I'll see you in the morning." He put his dishes in the dishwasher, then walked out of the kitchen. I had my sandwich and dessert, then waved at a few friends up late watching movies before heading to bed.

In the morning, I avoided the senior wolves gathered and took my food to the back tables where the teens and single wolves hung out. I knew them all from previous visits, and they all wanted to hear about my adventures. All too soon, I was grabbing my laptop and heading for the conference room with Luna Adrienne.

There was videoconference equipment set up, and I could see on the wall display almost two dozen Alphas that were here to participate. I plugged in my laptop so I could share my presentation, then sat down to wait for the Council members to arrive. Four filed into the room, led by North American Chairman Leland Carver. The other attendees were Kurt Markingham (Western Canada), Spencer Timms (West), and Lewis Wolfe (Central). Lewis shot me a grin as he walked in; we went way back. On the teleconference were Norman Platt (East), Jacob Burns (East Canada), William Parker (South), and Luke Smith (Mountain).

Chairman Carver started the meeting. "Welcome, fellow Chairs and Alphas. Today's meeting is to approve or deny the proposal by Vicki Lawrence to form a production company and film a reality show involving werewolves."

"Mr. Chairman, a point of order," I asked.

He looked at me with an 'already?' face. "Yes?"

"Sir, the topic of this meeting involves werewolf females only. However, other than Chairman Platt and Chairman Burns, none of their mates are here. Female matters are the responsibilities of the Pack Lunas and your mates. They should be here too."

Nothing like a stink-bomb to start the meeting off, but I was right, and they knew it. I wasn't about to let an all-male panel decide these things. After a few minutes of active discussion, Leland Carver finally gave up. "Call your mates to you, or have them call into the teleconference. We will take a five-minute break to allow them to join."

"Nice job, keep them off-balance," Adrienne said.

"Oh, I will."

The Chairman gaveled the meeting back to order and restated the purpose. As soon as he finished, I raised my objection. "Really?"

"Mr. Chairman, I challenge the right of this body to render decisions on personal and Pack business or employment matters," I said. "I have not requested the assistance or permission of the Council in my business plans. The Council has no jurisdiction over Pack or personal investments or employment decisions provided they do not violate Council law."

Chairman Platt jumped in, already red-faced with anger. "You're putting werewolves on TELEVISION, young woman! It's not allowed!"

I shared my screen, pulling up the relevant Council laws. "No Pack or Werewolf shall intentionally or unintentionally expose humans to their nature or existence. Violation is punishable by imprisonment or death." I let that sink in. "I'm not doing a documentary on werewolves, Mr. Chairman. I'm doing a reality show about four young models who travel the world and dive with sharks!"

"There will be cameras around you all the time. All it takes is one loss of focus, and we could be exposed," Platt continued.

"So werewolves are no longer allowed to work with humans, or in places with security camera coverage?" I let that sink in for a moment. "This isn't us hiring on as actresses. My show is a werewolf-led production from top to bottom, provided I can find qualified female werewolves to fill the spots. If not, I'll be reaching out to humans and mermaids for assistance. I have complete editorial control as the producer."

Mentioning 'mermaids' caused another uproar. "We don't associate with their kind," Chairman Platt growled.

"Why not? The three I hired last weekend were pleasant and professional. I would rather have a fellow supernatural than a human, and I plan to hire them for the yacht shoots."

Finally, it was Luna Adrienne who cut through the chatter. "Mr. Chairman, you have not ruled on Miss Lawrence's objection as to jurisdiction."

He looked at his regional Chairs, then at the Council Lawyer. "This hearing will recess for thirty minutes, at which time I will rule on the objection." He banged the gavel and got up, while the people watching on video walked away from their cameras.

I looked over at Luna Adrienne. "Fancy a snack?"

"I wonder if they have Rocky Mountain Oysters in barbecue sauce," she replied teasingly, "because you're roasting some nuts this morning." We walked out behind Alpha Steven and Luna Carolyn, who went off to talk with the senior people in attendance.

The videoconference was televised-only in the dining room, and many Pack members had watched. I went in to get a drink and got mobbed by the females of the Pack. They'd never seen a female stand up to power like that, and they liked it. I talked to several of the single female warriors from Three Sisters and visiting Packs, explaining my vision and needs. "So, the all-female thing is to show more boobs in the show?" one asked.

"There's nothing wrong with hot young women in bikinis on a show about four swimsuit models, but it's more than that," I confessed. "I made my decision for multiple reasons. No guys involved means no sexual harassment drama like my last show. I also want to showcase female divers and scientists." I got a few nods at this. "It's convenient, too. The film crew will go everywhere with us, with no worries as to where the men can and cannot go. Finally, my yacht is big, but it's not a cruise ship. Quarters are going to be tight, and I don't have room for separate staterooms and bathrooms."

"So no males at all?"

"Not if I can avoid it. I may have no choice on the Captain I hire for the yacht, but he's mated, and I'll keep him out of view. His daughter can also skipper the boat, and his wife is an excellent cook."

"If I hire on as security, that's my job, right? You don't need extra bimbos in the background?"

"Onshore, security is paramount; I need to stay safe, and so do my friends. When we are at sea, I'm hoping to find security people who can double as divers, camera operators, or deckhands. We'll be a small group, and we'll need flexibility."

I got two more resumes before it was time to go back in. We stood as the Council walked in, and some weren't happy. I found it interesting to see how the Lunas and Alphas differed in their expressions as we came back to order. "The hearing is now in session. I sustain the objection as to jurisdiction in part. I find the Council has no legal basis to interfere in the business matters of Packs or Pack individuals pre-emptively, as some of the petitioners requested. Pack Alphas have the responsibility to ensure they operate under Council law and good-faith practices." I smiled; they wouldn't be stopping me now. "However, given the notoriety and public nature of the proposed project, I find it is within Council purview to review the plan and make recommendations as to whether it should proceed as is."

That didn't go over well with many, but I tried to hide my excitement as he continued. "Miss Lawrence has become the most famous person of our kind since her coming of age, and with that exposure comes risks. Vicki, please present your business plan to the Council and Alphas for comment."

"Thank you, Mr. Chairman." I put up the presentation, starting with my concept, then proceeding through the hiring request I'd made, and how it fit into my business plan. "Alpha Dauntless requested that I hire werewolves where possible for security reasons, and I agree. I recognize that few of our kind spend a lot of time in the water or behind the camera. As I said, I will fill out the crew with qualified women as required."

Chairman Parker got my attention. "As the Producer, you have control of what gets shown?"

"That's the biggest reason I'm using my own money, to retain that control," I said. "Once shooting is complete, I'll bid out the entire season of shows with an option for additional seasons."

"I wish you well, young lady. You're either brave or foolish, but I haven't decided which yet." I had to laugh at that.

"I think it is foolish to have all these women out there without a strong male presence to protect them," Chairman Burns said. "I cannot recommend any female join this project."

I raised an eyebrow, like the Rock in those old movies. "Are you saying I'm weak?"

"You're young and unmated," he sneered.

"I'm a Mantled Alpha Female," I said. "I could challenge any non-mantled Alpha in the country and win, and we all know it. Every one of you wanted me to find my mate in your Pack, knowing it would make you stronger." I held his eyes, longer than I should, until his wolf came forward at my challenge before I lowered my eyes again. "The warriors I hire as protection will be just as capable. My three friends are all Beta rank. I could turn them into a Pack and provide a quite capable defense, thank you."

"I'll forbid my females from joining," one of the Alphas said.

"Good luck with that," I replied. "Go back to your Pack females and tell them you forbid them from gainful employment and travel. Tell them you consider them too weak and vulnerable to be allowed out from under the control of men like you. When they leave you, AND THEY WILL, maybe you'll see them again on my show."

THAT was tossing a Molotov into the discussion. It took the Chairman some time to get control back, and then we went into questions and answers. Finally, I'd had enough, as we were rehashing the same things over and over. "Mr. Chairman, I've heard the concerns and addressed what I could. As you ruled earlier, I don't need Council permission for what I do, but I would prefer to do this with the Council's blessing. With your permission, I'll retire until called while you deliberate on whether to provide that."

"Excellent idea, Miss Lawrence. We will take a thirty-minute recess while the Council considers the issue in private."

We all stood as they walked out, and I let out a deep breath. "Did I come on too strong?"

"I sensed some Leo Volkov School of Diplomacy in there when you said you could kick half their asses, but you did fine, Vicki. Some of them needed that bitch-slap. You'll be a fine Alpha someday, and you don't have to take shit from anyone."

The reaction from the Lunas and females was even better. The Council had little choice when we came back to order. "The Council wishes Miss Lawrence good luck in her project, and thanks her for appearing before us and listening to the concerns of senior leaders. Meeting adjourned."

I basked in the hugs as they left. Next up was Vegas, with appearances and a hunky SEAL friend-with-benefits.