She Can Do No Wrong

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When I got home at dinner time Monday night, Ben's car was there, but it seems so quiet in the house, and all the lights are out. Finally, I notice my sister-in-law Amy, sitting at the kitchen table in the dark with a cup of coffee.

"How are you Amy" I say, "I don't know why you're here, but I'm pretty tired, so can we get together later in the week to talk about whatever is on your mind."

"No! We can't, Toni, so why don't you sit down now and I'll tell you what's been going on in your life while you you've been out fooling around."

She went on to tell me an incredible story. How Ben heroically rescued 11 people from a burning building, almost died, couldn't understand where his wife was, went home from the hospital against doctors' orders, out of concern for me, and finally ended up in the hospital after reading my letter. What have I done?

"Amy, I'm embarrassed to ask this, but would it help if I went to see Ben?"

She was beyond disgusted with me." You will do no such thing. Ben is now in a psychiatric ward in isolation. He has suffered a severe, physical, emotional and mental breakdown. The doctors are trying to figure out how to treat him. At this point they told me he may never recover. They feel if you would see him, it may trigger another incident that might kill him.

"Oh, Amy, what have I done?"

"I'll tell you what you have done. You destroyed the sweetest man anyone has ever known. A true hero that would give his life to save others without hesitation. This man gave you everything. You know when you met and married him, he had neurological issues. That was a challenge, but it wasn't a bad thing. It turned out he was better than the rest of us. God gave you the opportunity to care for this man, to accept his love, and everything else he could give to you. You had a responsibility to take care of Ben and remember how much you meant to him. He told me one time you were his perfect angel. But what did you do? You not only hurt this man; you destroyed his soul. Shame on you, Toni!"

Epilogue

Amy

Ben hung on for about five months after the weekend of the fire. The hospital brought in specialists to examine him, but they could do nothing. They said it was obvious the physical and mental trauma from the fire along with the emotional devastation from the letter was just too much for him to take.

I think the entire town came to his funeral. He was a little boy that grew up into a man in our small town. He barely spoke to anyone, very few barely knew him, hardly ever interacted with him, paid any attention to him, but he will always be remembered as the greatest hero our town has ever known. He literally walked into hell to rescue those innocent children. I think how many families would've been devastated if it were not for my brother.

Toni was ostracized by everyone because of her betrayal. Her children never forgave her, nor did anyone else in town. She sold her house, gave the money to her children and left town soon after. I have no idea where she is, but she left a broken woman.

Ben's children are doing fairly well. His son Simon Davies is still in the Navy and daughter Melissa finished her studies and now lives and works in our town.

Dr. Nigel won't be back as he was ostracized from the town also. His wife divorced him, took him to the cleaners, the doctors in his group got rid of him and he ended up moving to parts unknown.

I think of Ben every day. Why did he have to love his woman so purely that he could never see anything bad. I'll never know the answer to that question, but I do know one thing. The world was a much better place because of this one beautiful man.

12