She Wolf Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Just outside a small town on the southwest coast of Maui they rolled up to what appeared as an idyllic resort where there were several small structures and four outriggers pulled up onto the beach. Everything was unloaded. The somewhat largest building was essentially one large room with tables of maps and photos spread out.

"Here's more detail on the target. The air photos show the rather sparse vegetation on the island. That's due to both the navy bombing for fifty years and the relative lack of rainfall. Maui has lush vegetation but, due to the prevailing winds, Kaho'olane gets much less rainfall. The air rising over Maui causes the rain to fall here on Maui instead of on Kaho'olane."

"I can see what you meant about rugged terrain. Those are some seriously deep ravines on Kaho'olane. The lack of covering vegetation could expose us as we approach the top of the old volcano."

"The road from the large beach looks to be about eight or nine miles long as it winds from the beach past the tower and up to the top. It will be watched since it is the most logical way up. The ravines are our best route up."

"Then we'd better go as wolf in stealth mode."

"That's what I was thinking."

"We need a moonless night so we can make best use of the dark."

"We also need to keep the recon force small."

Janet said "I think we can do with three. Me, Eagle Claw and either Shark or Surfer as a guide. Fang, we will need you along to guard the boat. Whichever of you Hawaiians don't go up the mountain also stays with the boat. We can't afford the have it discovered and destroyed or have a trap laid for our return. Everyone else waits here until we make the attack. Then it's all hands on deck."

"There is a new moon in two nights. Long range forecast is for partly cloudy skies also, so we should have the darkness we want. Tomorrow night the moon should be dark enough and that would leave us the darkest night to attack."

Most of the remainder of the day was spent in preparing weapons. Eagle claw went outside and looked skyward, raising a chant and dancing. A few small dots appeared in the sky, but the dots became more numerous until they resembled a swarm of bees.

The group looked on in amazement as the dots got larger and were eventually recognized as hawks gliding ever lower until a great flock of them lit in the trees surrounding the buildings, raising a ruckus with their screeching calls. Janet recognized his intention and stepped out to stand beside him. She held up her hands, palms out, and turned to show them to the assembled flock. Eagle Claw walked towards the birds on the lowest limbs until he was only a few feet away. Janet followed, showing her hands continuously.

Eagle Claw appeared to be silent, but the mainlanders surmised he was communicating with the assembled birds. At one point he gestured toward Janet. The Hawaiians looked on in amazement.

At last, with a great cry, the flock took off to rise into the sky once again.

Lydia asked "What birds were they? They are much smaller than eagles, but have the look of raptors."

Surfer answered "They are 'Io, also known as Hawaiian hawks. I've never seen so many at once. There are only a few thousand left throughout the islands. That so many came here is a mystery."

Charles explained "Eagle Claw communicates with birds. It is one of his gifts. He called in eagles and owls to help protect Janet's parents and Swift when they were attacked by hellhounds. He can communicate with Celestial through the birds even though they are a continent apart. It is an amazing thing to see."

The following day Shark chartered a small aircraft with the intent to fly over the island, low enough to get some perspective and see the geography of the crater, but not circling so as to draw attention. The flight path took them initially northwest to Lanai, where they turned back southwest to do the flyover while appearing to be on a flight path from Lanai to the Big Island. Over Hawaii they turned east and then north to return to Maui.

Back at their base they conferred.

"Did anyone notice anything around or in the crater?"

Cliff said "As a ranger I'm used to looking for abnormalities. I'm no expert on volcanoes, but something didn't look right."

Surfer rubbed his chin. "I got that feeling, too. To me it almost looked cloudy or steamy inside the crater. That volcano hasn't erupted for hundreds of years and there have been no geologic indications of an eruption."

Shark added "Definitely something in there. I don't think it is the volcano. I think whatever is in there is hidden under some sort of smoke or cloud screen."

"We'll find out tonight."

Once darkness had settled Shark and Surfer launched an outrigger. Charles, Janet and Eagle Claw hopped aboard. The Hawaiians were strong paddlers and the craft made good time until the coast of the island came into view. Using landmarks only they could see they guided the craft to a small pocket beach where a steep ravine had cut through the rock and emptied into the sea.

They all shifted except Surfer, who kept a paddle ready for a quick launch if things went badly. Fang prowled the beach, scanning the trees and watching up the ravine as Celestial, Eagle Claw and Shark quietly made their way up towards the summit. On a scramble up nearly two miles of steep, rugged ravine anything could happen.

Along the way they observed some strange flying creatures winging over the tops of the scrubby trees on the mountainside. The higher in elevation the ravine went it got narrower and shallower. Within sight of the crater edge they found themselves at the head of the ravine and about to lose the cover they had enjoyed on the way up. Flying creatures swarmed around the crater rim and a faint glow emanated from within the crater.

Eagle Claw indicated for everyone to remain still, and lifted his face heavenward.

Within a few minutes a flock of 'Io glided overhead, their flight only traceable by their blocking out stars as they soared. Their calls drew the attention of the flying creatures but the creatures couldn't fly high enough to reach the 'Io.

The three stealthily crept up to the crater rim and peered inside. What they saw made no sense. It didn't look anything like a dragon, but it had wings. It appeared to have both legs and arms. There were two heads on long necks. The size of it was beyond anything any of them had ever experienced before.

Before the flying creatures tired of watching the 'Io the group ducked back into the ravine.

It was harder to avoid making noise on the way down than it had been on the way up and they had to force themselves to take it a step at a time. As they reached the beach they saw Fang leap up and snare a flying creature that had swooped down to investigate the intruders. It was easy for him to shake his head and break the neck of the creature and toss it into the canoe just as the scouting party burst out of the ravine and leaped into the craft. Shark shifted and he and Surfer dug their paddles deep and hard, paddling away as fast as they could.

The group only relaxed when the signal light of their base camp on the coast of Maui became visible.

The scouting party had to take time to collect their thoughts -- and their breath -- before the entire group met. Charles tossed the dead creature onto the floor.

One of the Hawaiians asked "What the hell is it?"

"Never seen or read about anything like it."

Charles and Lydia examined it more closely. "The closest I can come to describing it is a weasel with wings. Smaller than a weasel, though."

"That's what I think, too. Look at the long body with short legs and long claws. Not any fur, though, unlike a weasel. From what I see here I don't think the wings are capable of taking them up very high. "

"We did only see them skimming over the trees."

"This one was easy enough to catch and kill. They don't seem to be lycan, so they don't heal."

"But there were a lot of them. The way they swarmed around it was impossible to count them."

"But the big concern is what is that thing inside the crater? I've seen things like MRKX. I've seen hellhounds. But that thing is like none of them. It's huge. I know the light wasn't good and t was curled up, resting, but it looked bigger than most buildings on Maui."

"And it has two heads and wings, like some sort of mythical beast. What is unknown is how high and far it can fly. I expect it can come up out of the crater, but maybe not just with wings."

"Those were huge appendages -- I guess you'd have to call them arms and legs it had, too."

"I think it's clear why we have the swords. Wolves will not be able to do much damage to that thing. I'll take my bow and all the arrows I have. I'm guessing I was given the silver ones for the big guy."

Shark asked "Would it be better if we had a larger force? There are an awful lot of those flying things."

Janet shook her head. "We don't need a lot of casualties. Taking on MRKX with a large force only got half of them killed. I think we'll be better with a small quick strike force. Get up to the crater rim without fighting and save it for the thing inside the crater."

"I can ask the 'Io to keep the flying weasels, or whatever they are, busy."

Charles nodded. "Good idea. My sense of these flying things, based on what we see here on the floor, is with those claws they would be dangerous on the ground or attacking from above. If they're occupied defending themselves it could effectively remove them from the equation. From what I saw I don't think they're maneuverable enough to take on the hawks."

Lydia added "I think a diversion might work."

"I agree. It worked both times we used it with MRKX. We used music and we used drums to draw his attention. What kind of diversion do you have in mind this time?"

Lydia pointed at locations on the map of the island as she outlined her ideas.

As the sun set in the west two loaded canoes prepared to launch from the base camp beach. The attack party of Shark, Eagle Claw, Celestial and Fang manned one and the diversion party of Surfer, Lydia and Cliff the other. Sails made use of the prevailing wind to help the loaded craft cross over to Kaho'olane. Once within sight of the coast the sails were lowered and all hands manned paddles. They stayed well offshore of the volcano and it was fully dark as they approached the northeast coast. The attack party eased onto the small beach they had used the night before while the diversion group continued along the coast to the broad beach commonly used for landing people and supplies.

The attack party pulled the canoe up out of sight and waited at the base of the ravine until Lydia communicated to Celestial that they were ashore.

Charles and Celestial, in human form, carried the weapons up the rocky ravine. Shark and Eagle Claw, as wolves, went ahead to make sure there were no surprises waiting for them. Celestial used her extreme sight to pick out the best route for the humans to take up the steep ravine.

The diversion group grounded the canoe and only pulled it above the high tide line. Lydia and Cliff shifted to Healer and Jumper; Surfer fastened the harnesses on them and loaded them with weapons before shifting himself. The trio went up the road that wound up toward the tower. The slope was fairly gentle, but there was not much vegetation for cover. They had four miles to cover before they reached the tower and went at a good trot, hoping to make it to their destination before they were seen as a threat and attacked. Flying creatures began to circle overhead, investigating the unknown animal interlopers. Some swooped low over them and, just as the group reached the base of the communications tower in the center of the island, one of the flying creatures swooped in threateningly. Surfer leaped up and snagged it out of the air. Healer alerted Celestial that they were on station.

The flying creatures became agitated and aggressive. Surfer shifted and quickly released the harnesses so the other wolves could shift to human. The sudden transformation startled those preparing to attack and they pulled back momentarily to assess the situation, giving the three enough time to pull out weapons.

To deal with the flying ones the trio had brought shotguns and plenty of ammunition. Each also strapped on a pistol and machetes were laid within easy reach.

The flying creatures continued to increase in number until the swarm was dense; the first shotgun blasts into the swarm brought down seven and scattered the rest. The flyers circled around and came in from all sides. Several came to ground and rushed in on foot. Shotguns blasted. Machetes swung at the ones on foot. Periodically one or another of the trio shifted to wolf and grabbed attackers from the air as well as on the ground.

With the commotion more of the flying creatures came out of the crater to join the fray. A sudden explosion away from the road killed a group of creatures gathering for a ground attack.

All the creatures paused and diverted attention to the explosion site. Lydia and Cliff jerked their heads toward the sound, but Surfer knew what it was.

"Unexploded bomb. They found one the hard way. We come across them. They've been cleared from the road and the areas we use, but ordinance is all over the island. It would help if they found a few more tonight."

The sound of fighting carried up the mountainside and was what Celestial waited for. All four became human and took up their weapons. Eagle Claw called the 'Io and they began to swoop down to attack flying creatures, those attacking the diversion group as well as those that remained behind to protect the crater.

As the group burst out of the ravine there was noise from inside the crater. As the group peered down into the crater two heads appeared above the rim, heads attached to a large body with wings. The beast exhibited a body with a somewhat human form, a body itself at least twenty feet long. The humanoid arms and legs appeared to be tipped with long sharp claws. Atop the body were two long necks, each with a head that appeared somewhat crocodilian exhibiting rows of menacing teeth. The arms flexed, and a roar shook the ground. The beast apparently wasn't ready for them; the surprise of the attack was complete.

The four spread out on the crater rim, with Celestial and Fang anchoring the ends of the line. Celestial used her bow and plain arrows to shoot down smaller creatures as they streamed out of the crater on their way to fly down the hill to join the attack on the diversion. When the stream of creatures coming out of the crater ceased she laid the bow aside to unsheathe her sword. Her hands blazed and the sword glowed as she held it aloft, with her name shining in bright white light.

She lowered the sword to point it at the monster. "I am Celestial and I am your doom."

The roar that followed almost seemed like a laugh. Wings flapped and the beast flew up toward the crater rim. The wind created by the wings stirred up clouds of dust and volcanic ash. Once again she picked up the bow and shot silver tipped arrows again and again into the body and heads of the beast as it approached the group. Each hit was followed by another roar. Arrows exhausted, she held her blazing sword aloft once again. Charles gripped his sword and lifted it over his shoulder.

The claw necklace on Eagle Claw glowed and he readied his own bow. Shark held a bow and a spear. The beast rose higher and flew toward them. They retreated from the crater edge and the beast lit on the crater rim, roaring defiance, towering over them. One head lowered to spit fire at Celestial. She dropped the sword and caught it in her hands, hurling it back at him, causing some obvious pain from his own fire and confusion at the ineffectiveness of the fire.

The beast raised its head to strike out at her and Eagle Claw unleashed a volley of arrows. A claw-tipped arm slashed out at Shark, but he calmly stepped back and thrust his spear into it. The second great head lowered and swept to the side, knocking Eagle Claw and Shark to the ground. Charles swung his sword at the head and opened a gash just behind an eye.

The beast stepped forward off the crater rim towards the four, baring long, sharp teeth. He struck out at Shark with an open mouth, but Shark set the butt of his spear on the ground and aimed the point at the onrushing mouth so the beast impaled its mouth on it. Eagle Claw shot at the eyes and the head swept over the ground toward him. Celestial rushed forward and in one strike severed two toes and part of a foot, but had to dive out of the way of a claw swipe from an arm.

"The wings, Charles. The wings!"

Down at the tower the trio discovered there were more of the flying creatures than they realized. They couldn't reload fast enough to keep up and soon had to resort to machetes and then shifted to wolves. Several creatures leaped at them at once, from all sides and the three were overwhelmed, fighting tooth and claw. 'Io hurtled from above and struck the creatures, both those in the air and those on the ground until the creatures had to fall back and the wolves had time to partially heal.

The creatures turned attention upward to the 'Io and snatched several as they attacked with talons.

While the beast turned toward Eagle Claw and Celestial, Charles stepped forward and hacked off a portion of a wing. The beast swung a head back toward him, knocking him almost into the crater and Celestial struck the other wing, slicing off a sizeable piece. The beast swung quickly to her but she held her sword ready. As the beast opened its mouth to engulf her in its maw she charged forward, ducked under the jaw and slashed open its neck. The beast slammed its head down, pinning her to the ground. Charles charged and severed another portion of wing, effectively grounding the beast. The second great head swung toward Charles, mouth agape.

He didn't back down, but slashed at the inside of the mouth. The beast spit a fireball, but he dove aside just in time. The attack on Charles eased the pressure on Celestial. She pressed her glowing hands to the injured neck and the beast reared back, recoiling from the pain.

With a roar of pain the beast leapt forward again toward Celestial. She met arm swipes with slashes, keeping close to the body avoiding the bleeding mouth and outstretched claws, managing to slice off several claws. The beast bit at Shark again and once again set his spear again but this time the jaws snapped shut on it and he was sent flying backward with the impact as the spear broke in half. Pain shot through him as he felt and heard a leg snap when he landed awkwardly on a pile of jagged volcanic boulders.

Another fireball was spit at Eagle Claw and Celestial managed to lunge over but could only partially deflect it. Eagle Claw rolled but the fireball grazed his side, inflicting a deep burn.

The beast was large, but the silver arrows in him and his many wounds slowly took effect, sapping the strength of the beast and it weakened noticeably. It backed away toward the crater rim to gather for another attack, but Celestial and Charles were fast on the counterattack. Charles' two handed sword in his powerful grip opened wound after wound in feet and legs. Celestial's sword burned wherever she slashed. Hot burning blood gushed from more and more wounds and they were both covered with it.

A sudden thought came to Celestial as her sword blazed. She recalled the voice of Great Bear telling her she had the gift of CONTROL of fire. So far she had used the gift defensively, but her blazing sword made her wonder if there was more to the gift. She held the blazing sword over her head and thrust it out as she brought it down. A lightning bolt of fire leaped from the sword to the beast. The beast roared defiance and struck out at her with his own fire. She batted away his fire with her sword and threw another bolt at him.