She Wolf Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Charles occupied the other head with slashes at the neck, and rolled away from fire spit at him, incurring only a burn on one arm. Ducking under the head he swung at the neck and the feet.

Celestial threw one bolt of fire after another at the beast and it retreated from her. At the edge of the precipice into the crater it prepared to counterattack. As the beast reared up to strike with both heads and claws the crater rim gave way under its weight, sending beast and rocks tumbling into the crater. Celestial threw back her head and, with a loud howl, jumped over the edge and slid down the steep slope after it. Charles jumped right behind her.

Eagle Claw was in pain, and shifted to heal. Shark took stock of the broken bones in his leg. He also shifted, but could not hope to join the fight in the crater yet; the bad break would take time to mend. Eagle Claw noticed there were no more gunshots from down below and realized he would be of no help down in the crater -- it was all sword work now. Ignoring the pain of his burns he charged down the road toward the tower. As he came around a bend in the road he saw the melee. Three wolves battled against a tide of the flying creatures, most of which had come to earth to attack. 'Io hurtled from the sky. Eagle Claw attacked from the rear with a snarl. In a fury he grabbed creatures by the neck. His necklace came alive, ripping flesh.

Under attack from above and behind the creatures turned around in confusion. The howl from Celestial echoing down from the crater meant she was on the attack, giving new strength and hope to those in the diversion. Surfer, Healer and Jumper gathered themselves to go on the offensive. Eagle Claw attacked from the rear. With no more flying creatures coming from the crater as reinforcements the number of the creatures gradually dwindled and they became less of a fighting force, as their tactics relied on strength in numbers. Some turned to run or fly away, but the lack of vegetative cover kept them exposed to the 'Io. They scurried up the road toward the supposed safety of the crater.

Shark slowly regained strength. When he noticed some of the creatures scrambling back up the road toward the protection of the crater, fleeing from the fight below, he pounced. The broken leg slowed him down, but nothing was wrong with his jaws, and they snapped hard. Dead creatures piled up around him until no more came up the road. The remainder took cover under the scrubby vegetation.

The beast tumbled over and over, rolling with the rocks down the slope inside the crater, roaring and struggling to get a claw hold on the slope and stop its slide. Celestial continued to howl as she slid and ran behind the beast with Charles close behind her. She slashed whenever a limb or neck came within reach. As the slope flattened the beast tried to turn over and stand up but Celestial was quickly on him, slashing and burning both heads and necks with her now flaming sword. The beast, unable to stand, resorted to spitting fireballs and snapping at his attackers at every opportunity. Celestial batted the fireballs away with her sword and Charles easily avoided them. Roars shook the mountain, but the beast weakened more with each slashing sword blow and from the slow work of the silver arrowheads.

When the beast toppled over backwards Charles jumped on it, pointed his sword down, gripped in two hands. With all the strength he had he thrust his sword into the chest of the beast and a fountain of boiling blood spouted up. Celestial slashed at the neck until one head was severed and Charles drove his sword into the body again and again. There were more roars, but each one was weaker than the last. At last the beast lay still and breathing stopped. Celestial swung once more and removed the second head.

Bloody and exhausted Celestial and Charles sat on the body, too tired to go climb up out of the crater. Shark's head appeared over the rim. He shifted and called down.

"Are you both okay?"

"Need to rest before we come back up. See if the others need help."

Shark limped down the road on three legs and found the others stretched out on the ground, healing while surrounded by piles of dead flying creatures.

Celestial looked wearily over at Charles. "I think I'd rather fight MRKX."

He laughed "Me too," and extended a hand to help her up. "Let's see if we can get back up to the top."

Celestial used her extreme sight to scan the darkness inside the crater. "Over there. I see a path up a less steep slope."

They followed the path out of the crater and limped over to where they had fought on the rim, looking for Eagle Claw and Shark. Before they could decide what to do next, the other five weary members of their group staggered up the hill and they all threw themselves down to rest.

Movement in the brush near the top of the ravine caught Celestial's attention. With extreme sight she saw a group of the flying creatures cowering under the cover of the low vegetation. She stood and walked over to them, stopping just short of their hiding place. Raising her glowing bloody sword with her name emblazoned she announced "I am Celestial. I order you to leave these islands, never to return. Do not bother these people ever again."

There was a hesitation, but one by one the creatures emerged and took flight, heading west out over the sea.

"How are we to get back to Maui? I don't think any of us have strength to paddle. We could use sails, but the wind is against us."

Surfer said "I'll contact someone on Maui. They'll send a boat for us. We'll come back for the canoes later."

The group limped down to the beach, collecting their weapons along the way. On the beach they rested until they heard the low rumble of an engine and the lights of a boat approached the shore.

"The tide is low, so they'll have to stay offshore or they risk running up on the rocks hidden just below the surface. In the daylight they could see their way through, but not on a night as dark as this. Water should be high enough in a couple of hours. We could swim out, but I don't think anyone wants to leave their weapons behind."

"I can think of worse things than resting on a beach in Hawaii."

"If I didn't hurt so much. How's the leg, Shark?"

"It's bad. Hurt like hell coming down the hill."

Lydia went over to him. "Let me take a look. Yeah, it's bad...get ready...one, two...three."

"Ow, shit!"

"Bet it feels better now, though. Let me run my hands over that to speed things up."

Charles laughed "She really is a healer. She set that bone and it's healing already. Shift to wolf and you'll be running around before the boat comes in for us." He blew out a breath. "I think I'm going into that water to wash this blood and gore off me. You up for a swim, Celestial?"

She sat on the sand resting her head on her drawn up knees. "Gonna feel this tomorrow. Don't know if I can move right now."

Charles reached a hand down for her. She looked at it for a moment before grasping it and he pulled her up. Together they waded out into the surf.

"You were a warrior again tonight."

"So were you. You were quite handy with that claymore. Cutting the wings kept it from flying over us and attacking us from above."

Charles drew her in and kissed her. "My wolf. My warrior."

"My wolf. Mates for life."

"You bet. If I didn't hurt so much I'd mate with you right now."

"You would, would you? How do you know I wouldn't fight you off?"

"Because I'm so charming."

At last Celestial laughed, but the laugh turned into a cough. "See what you made me do? After I've healed we'll mate."

They waded to shore and found Lydia tending to Eagle Claw.

"The big jerk didn't tell me he was burned. He tried to be the mighty Eagle Claw and brush it off, but this burn isn't healing quickly. I don't know what was in the beast's fire; ordinary fire wouldn't have done this much damage."

Celestial flexed her hands. "It did feel different when I caught it. It hurt him when I threw it back at him, so it was strong fire."

Charles commented "Speaking of fire, that was quite a show you put on with your sword. How did you figure out you could throw lightning like that?"

"I remembered something Great Bear said. He told me I had the gift of control of fire. I thought maybe that meant I could fight with it as well as defend against it. Eagle Claw, I owe Great Bear another debt."

"You owe him nothing. He gave you a gift. It was up to you to figure out how to use it wisely."

"Boat's coming in!"

"Everybody -- before the boat gets here I need to say it took all of us to do this. I don't know where all those flying weasels, or whatever the hell they were, came from. They flew up out of the crater, almost like the beast was creating them on the spot. We didn't see very many on our recon because there weren't as many. The numbers multiplied as the fight went on. Thanks to the diversion group. You drew most of the flying ones away from the crater. Eagle Claw, without the 'Io we wouldn't have prevailed. I saw a lot of them dead and am sorry for that."

Eagle Claw shifted to human and struggled to his feet. "We, humans and lycans, are not alone on this earth. We are part of creation, as is the eagle, owl or 'Io. If we recognize that, we can help each other. I know of some who communicate with other animals -- the fox, the horse, the deer, the dog. I've heard of some in the far north who communicate with whales and seals. Others I don't even know about. But we are all together on this earth and should treat each one with respect... Oh, crap that hurts."

"Sit down and shift to wolf or I'll have to hurt you myself."

Eagle Claw scowled at Lydia. "You sound like my mother."

Lydia wagged a finger at him. "Maybe I've been communicating with her."

Eagle Claw laughed, clutched at his side, and shifted, whining in pain on the sand. Lydia placed her hands again on his burns. Celestial joined her to add her soothing and cooling touch to the slowly healing burns.

When the boat nudged the sand the group arose and tossed their weapons into it. Humans on the boat helped them in. For the trip back to Maui they all shifted to heal.

Back at the base camp they unloaded the weapons, shifted to wolf once again and slept until late afternoon. By then most wounds had healed sufficiently that they could move about in human form, even if it was slowly and painfully.

A meal featuring mahi mahi was prepared and the entire base camp population, including several members of the Kingdom Government sat around the table, anxious for details.

Celestial stood and declared "The island of Kaho'olane is once again free for your use."

Surfer said "We should take a flight over the island to see what remains from the fight."

A government representative remarked "We gathered on the beach and saw flashes of light, like a storm. We heard rumbles of what sounded like thunder."

"It was the beast spitting fire and Celestial countering with lightning from her sword."

Later everyone went to the airport and boarded a chartered helicopter. It was a short flight to the island and the craft set down on a helipad near the communications tower.

The scene of the diversion fighting was littered with bodies, but the creatures had shriveled up as if they had dried out. Some were missing limbs or had suffered deadly injuries from shotgun blasts, pistol shots or machetes. On the road up to the crater they found more dead creatures.

Part of Sharks broken spear was found in the rocks where he had been thrown. Down in the crater the beast didn't look so formidable. Celestial led the group down the easy path and they walked around the remains of the beast. The remains exhibited hacked off wings and other body parts with many sword gashes. A forest of arrows protruded from the carcass. Black blood had puddled and dried to a crust. The body itself appeared almost mummified.

Celestial walked around, examining. "When I ended MRKX's spirit his body turned to dust. This one seems to be disintegrating also, as are the flying creatures. With any luck the disintegration should continue until you have complete free use of the entire island."

Everyone but Charles and Celestial examined the heads.

"Two heads. Look at those teeth! Amazing. And look at those claws!"

"It looks like a lot of claws are missing, from sword strikes I bet."

Near the helipad they found Eagle Claw. He hadn't followed to the crater, but had gathered up all the dead 'Io and lovingly buried them. They found him chanting and dancing around the burial site.

On the flight back to Maui Celestial laid a hand on his arm. "That was a noble thing to do. They sacrificed to save us. Thank you for calling them. Thank them for me."

He turned to her. "They willingly helped us. Just like us, they knew what the odds were. And, just like us, they were willing to accept those odds because the cause was just. I have thanked them, and your gratitude will also be noted." Eagle Claw studied her eyes. "Do you even realize what you mean to them? To us? Great Bear saw it in you, so he gave all he had to you. I see it in you and you have my undying loyalty because, as Great Bear said, your heart is pure." He looked away for a moment, staring out at the sea as they flew low over it. "I never would have let those wolves go after the fight with MRKX. I don't think anyone else would have either. But you saw goodness where we did not. That girl at the airport said whatever was out on that island was waiting for you. Not for us, but for you. You represent everything that beast, the flying weasels, MRKX, and the hellhounds hate. As long as your heart remains pure they cannot stand before you."

"I can only succeed when I have help. You are correct about one thing though. I don't see myself as a symbol or a leader. I'm just a painter who enjoys exploring beauty where others don't see it."

"Think about what you just said."

Celestial furrowed her brows. "About exploring beauty where others don't see it?"

"Yes. What you see is part of what you are. You see beauty in nature and you see it in others. It is your underlying power. All the other things you can do are only tools to support your power. Many who have power begin to think of themselves, to exalt themselves. By doing so they lose their power and become corrupt. I think that will not happen to you. It is my honor to fight beside you whenever you need me, lay down my life if need be, because whatever you are willing to fight for is just."

Celestial sighed heavily. "It is a heavy burden to bear and makes me uncomfortable to think about."

"If not you, then who?"

She looked at him, his face scarred from the battles with MRKX and the beast, carrying burns that had not yet healed. "I have no answer for that. I don't like what I have to do. I don't like fighting. I don't like seeing those I love put in danger because of me."

"They know and accept that."

"I know. And for that reason I continue to face whatever must be faced. I know there is a greater good to be considered, but that doesn't make it any easier."

"No, it does not."

"Yet I accept the responsibility."

"Because it is the right thing to do."

"Yes. Because it is the right thing to do. I just wish I didn't have to do it. I wish it didn't have to be done at all."

"Only those who are unworthy would see it otherwise. Those who are unworthy would seek personal glory at the expense of others. I do not see that in you. You do what must be done for the right reasons."

"Thank you, Eagle Claw. I am proud to call you my friend."

The next morning they went to the airport for the flight back to Honolulu and another meeting with the Kingdom Government council.

Battered and tired they limped into the room once again. The council had set up a table and chairs for the debriefing.

Celestial rose to address the council. "We are reporting back to you that the island has been cleared. It could not have been done without help from Hawaiians."

"Shark and Surfer. We chose well when we decided for them to be your guides."

"Them and all the 'Io who came to us. Eagle Claw called them."

Startled looks passed among the council members. "They went there? There was some concern among scientists that something was happening to them. Great flocks left their normal range and flew to Lanai and Maui. From there they disappeared."

"They are back now," Eagle Claw added. "Unfortunately some were lost when they joined the conflict. I buried them and purified the site. They have been thanked for their service."

"You called birds? How is that possible?"

Celestial added "It is a power Eagle Claw has. The 'Io turned the fight in our favor, but I think you will find they have now returned to their natural range. It took all of us, but the island is once again free of evil. Shark and Surfer can give you a more complete account."

"Thank you for helping us. The state and federal authorities had no idea anything was out there because they had no 'rational explanation' for it. We Hawaiians know there is not a rational explanation for everything. Our ancestors knew more than they are given credit for. It is a relief that everyone returned alive, although it is apparent that the fight was not easy."

"It was not. I cannot even adequately describe what it was that we faced. Shark and Surfer can give it a shot in their formal report. Whatever they tell you they are not exaggerating. If anything they will probably tone it down to make it even remotely believable. We took no photographs, but all of us and the others from the Maui station went out there yesterday and saw what remains, so there are other witnesses. What is left on the island is rapidly disintegrating and may be almost gone soon. This has been observed with other evil creatures that have been vanquished. They soon turn to dust."

"You have our thanks. If there is any way we can be of assistance to you in the future, well, you know where to find us. We owe you."

"You owe us nothing. Evil has to be fought wherever it appears."

After the meeting they loaded themselves and their gear into the cargo plane Henry had arranged for the return flight to Seattle.

Henry saw their weariness and didn't press for details as he took Eagle Claw home. Celestial alit from the plane with him to say goodbye. She held him by the shoulders. "Thank you for being a friend. If you need anything, just send an eagle."

He smiled. "The same for you."

She flexed her hands with the arrowhead imprints. "Yes. Yes I will." She placed a hand on his side and pulsed blue light to soothe and cool. "Those burns will take a while to heal."

"Yours also.I have a medicine man who can help. Thank you and Healer for getting me well on the road to recovery. It was a very painful burn." He embraced her. "Take care of yourself, too."

"Yes, I think a long rest is in order."

Flying across the country they told Henry of the encounter and he shook his head. "I wish I could have been there to help."

"You helped a lot organizing our travel. I don't know how we would have made it to Hawaii without you."

Back at her grandparent's home and with her parents present they recounted the ordeal.

Swift spoke for all who had remained home. "We are proud of you. I knew you'd be a greater leader than I was. You have so much more power, and you have a powerful ally in Eagle Claw."

"We may well have failed without him. The 'Io attacking from above were better than any sword."

"I wish more could have gone with you to support you on the island."

Celestial shook her head. "No. With a larger force we would have had more serious casualties. Many could have been killed. The flying creatures, weasels or not, seemed to multiply according to the force they faced. The beast almost seemed to manufacture them. I don't know how, but they streamed up out of the crater where we had not seen them before."