Shinobi Nights

Story Info
They were blinded by ignorance.
861 words
4.55
44.6k
63
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bebop3
Bebop3
2,359 Followers

Shinobi Nights is part of the Literotica 750 Word Project 2021. A quick glossary: Nakodo - marriage broker, shoji and go - strategy games, Daimyo - leader or ruler equivalent to a US governor, tatami mat - a floor mat, often seen in dojos, shoji - rice paper paneled doors or screens, sama - an honorific, yojimbo - bodyguard or bouncer, nishikigoi - koi pond, ninjato - a sword, shuriken - throwing stars, shinobi - ninja

Shinobi Nights

He bore the shame of our marriage without complaint. The nakodo was shocked his services were not required, my husband's family arranging our union. My husband treated me with dignity, kindness and eventually love. Still, I received curious stares from our peers before they averted their eyes.

Why marry me? Why pluck me from obscurity and grant me such an exalted position?

Destined to be a servant with an empty title, my skills were his. A man of honor, such a thing would be an affront, so from my first day with him until this evening I have been his wife in both name and function.

Our house was honored, not for the few samurai we could offer but because of his mind. Visitors came under the guise of enjoying a game, shoji or go; yet always they would subtly probe for advice. The greatest thinker in generations and an unparalleled strategist.

You did not need his insight to know that war was near.

That was why they would come. In the room opposite slept a man worth an army, war could be won in a single, warm spring night, under cloudless skies, if only he was removed.

Tanaka Akihiko had spent most of the previous two days meeting with the Daimyo. Now he slept, exhausted, whilst I sat on the tatami mat, waiting to show why I was chosen.

She slid the shoji door open, bowed to me, and entered the room. The tea-set balanced carefully. Approaching, she bowed again, knelt, and served the tea. When done, she stayed where she was, eyes lowered.

Himari had entered our household less than two years previously; we had taken pity on her, treating her with kindness which she mistook for weakness. Treachery was inevitable. It was better to know who the viper was and monitor rather than eliminate and wonder about a replacement.

I leant over and smelled the tea, a smile on my face. Resin on the cup would be as effective as poisoning the tea directly.

"An interesting aroma, Himari. Something new?"

She looked up, the terror revealing itself before she could hide it.

"Let me see if my nose has become blunted." I waved my hand over the cup, noting the acrid overtones. "Tiger beetle? Burnt, crushed to powder, and added to the tea? So very predictable."

I grabbed the platter and was on my feet before she could rise. Falling backwards in her fear she scrambled like a blind crab searching for the water. I slammed the edge of the platter into her throat and kicked her arm out of position. She lay staring up at me, trying to take in air.

"No, Himari, there shall be no screaming. No warnings. Nothing to disturb Akihiko-Sama's rest.

You will die, like a fish pulled onto the boat, willing to give anything for one more breath."

"Answer my question and I will end this painlessly. Are they on the grounds yet?"

She shook her head no.

"Soon?"

She nodded, yes.

"Where?"

She looked to the back of the house, near the nishikigoi pond and garden.

I ended her suffering.

There were three of them, trained and experienced. Our yojimbo stayed in the rooms next to my husband or wandered the estate. They would suffice if I failed. If I alerted them they would awaken him and he would place himself between me and danger. I could not allow that.

I dragged the corpse out to the garden and waited in the shadows.

They arrived together, cautious and methodical. Separating, they approached the building from different angles. When one was within reach, I pulled the long pins from my hair and stabbed him in the eye and the throat, drawing his ninjato as he fell.

The second was dead within a minute of the first. I pulled him towards me after he was cut so his blood would not pollute the koi pond. The third saw and ran back the way he came. Quickly finding the dead assassin's shuriken, I let fly and the third one fell.

The attendants that came with me when I wed removed the bodies and I went to join my husband. When he awoke, he smiled at me contentedly and stretched.

"What?" he asked.

"Do you ever regret marrying the daughter of shinobi?"

"Only you define yourself as one thing. I see the multitudes in you. Mother, wife, lover, advisor. I have never regretted a moment we have been together."

And so another day began.

*****

As always, with thanks to the Amalgamated Alaskans for their feedback and editing and to Brad, Jerry, Adam, Andrea, Mr. Z, Leon, Phillip, Zachary, Laurence, and Ken for their generosity.