All Comments on 'Shouldering the Burden'

by NoTalentHack

Sort by:
  • 232 Comments (Page 2)
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

NTH is a writer of considerable talent. This piece is well written but very hard to conceive a situation where under any circumstance this "marriage" survives. She put herself in the situation to be taken advantage of, consented to being "blackmailed" for months and had no trust or confidence in her husband through all that. Sorry, but she would never have to struggle to remember me during her lucid days, I would already be a distant memory.

Driven2ReadDriven2Readover 1 year ago

In my best Wayne's world pose -- we're not worthy. 5* should be more. An outstanding story, outstanding writing - just not enough superlatives. A good man doing what a good man does, understanding all actions have context that can lead the non-thinking man to throw away something good or guarantee a action with no regrets. Now in the twilight of life (where I am at these days myself) you look back and see what your actions wrought, understand what got you here and make peace with it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a story! Painful, difficult, loving and hard work. Real life, not fictitious crap.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You are becoming a better writer over the course of the past few months. Good Luck brother

BSreaderBSreaderover 1 year ago
You are

Without a doubt an amazing writer. Please don't stop. This was a great story.

njlaurennjlaurenover 1 year ago

You managed to take a pretty well trod story and turn it into something different and touching. The btb types wont get it but anyone with a hear will. Charlie is not a cuckold and Marge is not a slut, they are two fully human ppl trying to navigate themselves and each other.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

My situation is similar. Your story helped me forgive. Thank you.

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 1 year ago

A 5* oasis of kintsugi and wabi-sabi. A sad, but beautiful story of true love and devotion.

JimmyThePlungerJimmyThePlungerover 1 year ago

Excellent as usual, I do sometimes read stories here for the erotic content, but mainly just to enjoy good writing. I read many new stories a they come, I'm never looking to be judgmental, just to enjoy the well told tales, well spun characters.

That was a very well told story and in a strange way, despite the character's pain, I feel better for having read it. I seldom feel that, so thank you.

TonyGWTonyGWover 1 year ago

Excellent.

You just keep getting better and better.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Such a beautiful story.

26thNC26thNCover 1 year ago

You’re best yet. Such a beautiful story, the like of which you don’t often find in LW. Amazing author.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Thank you for going there, in that loving way.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Damn fine story. 5-stars

AileyInnAileyInnover 1 year ago

Wow! Great story. Great idea using the vase! Thanks for the story…

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a hell of a Ground Hog this is! Clever set up, nice misdirect, and finally a bittersweet story resolution. Bravo! 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You are an absolutely incredible story teller. In each and every story you post I see some small part of my own life. I look forward to each day's LW new postings to see another story by you. Please continue to open the minds and hearts of most of your readers. The others don't mean anything.

MissMudMissMudover 1 year ago

I can really relate to this. We never had to deal with infidelity. Our devil has been Alzheimer’s. She is dying slowly, her mind and memories fading away. Even now, I am fading away for her. The pain of watching your

Love slowly die and be powerless is is almost too much to stand.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

My only issue is the husband taking responsibility for what she did. No way is he at fault. She's an adult. But damn....so we'll written 5 stars anyway. Thanx!

Loklie

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It’s not clear to me how someone could read this powerful, moving story and give it a low rating. But Powersworder, ZK, and lujon2019 run true to form. I’m not sure that they even read the story. They seem to be motivated to keep the score of the story as low as possible. Fortunately, they’re in a distinct minority. I can only surmise that they’ve been cucks themselves in the past, which is why it’s such a button for them. You know guys, you could simply stop reading stories in LW and maybe take up Romance or Sci-Fi.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Sad but a beautiful, compassionate story told in a way that can resonate with many. Thank you. Nice job.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The truthful, and perhaps more healing, response would be, "Marge, my love, I forgave you years ago. I forgive you still. Thank you for still caring about me."

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago
Mixed bag

Liked the love Man had for his dying wife. Hated that he just made himself her punching bag from her cheating repeatedly to him blaming himself for doing it. So average 5 and 1 stars gives a final score of 3 which on the lit scale means I just liked it and nothing more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I liked it. Sad, beautiful, and very realistic. With 50 years of marriage, some things happen that there's no control of.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

davezqdavezqover 1 year ago

The situation was a shock--a woman of impared memory confessing her infidelity over and over and the man who loves her supporting. her as best he can. It's always complicated with NoTalentHack. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well written but not for this category, please be a bit more discerning where you dump your stories; we will still find and read them.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Poignant thank you

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 1 year ago

Well ...

RAAC stories today are few

and far between, thankfully.

But we're beginning to see a new trend.

Reconciliation stories at any cost.

They often include a very drunk woman

and/or date rape drugs.

How tiring is that?

Ok, so they had a fight.

He leaves and she reacts ... like a man?

Goes to a bar to get drunk.

Most women don't do that.

They need to talk. They call a girlfriend.

They don't get drunk with strangers.

This one does and accepts drinks from an ex boyfriend?

Do women really do that?

This story leaves more unanswered questions

than it answers.

You want more of those questions?

Ne comes to her with pictures and she fucks him several times a week.

He comes to her where?

To her home?

Does she fuck him in her and her husbands bed?

And our guy feels guilty?

Ok, he's guilty of half of the fight.

What else is he guilty of?

What happened fifty years later is the good part of this story.

The only good part.

3 out of 5 from me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Unlike your name would indicaten, you do have talent. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I don’t know how you do it. You keep coming back with better and better stories! Very touching and very thoughtful. Please keep up the great work and thank you for sharing with us.

An old curmudgeon

ForensicFossilForensicFossilover 1 year ago

Boy, this is really good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I’m a bloke . You know blokes aren’t supposed to tear up don’t you ? But since you didn’t know I’ll forgive your transgression this time . Seriously though that was truly powerful and touching , a true work of art like the vase and your characters marriage . It’s the past , the present and the future all puzzled back together flaws and all - kintsugi

msconley2172msconley2172over 1 year ago

As always, NTH, your storytelling evokes a significant amount of emotion. This story is one of the few that I will read over and over again. It has both the power of the BTB ideology and the significant admission of dual responsibility /healing. 5 stars. Definitely 5 stars.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66over 1 year ago

Wow! An incredibly moving story. I am stunned by this story 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Thank you for sharing your exceptional talent for storytelling with us again and again.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

My mother has dementia and has been in memory care for a year now. Early on, she had delusions and thought she could communicate telepathically. Surprisingly, she recalled several tryst and affairs (quite unlike her as I’m pretty sure she was faithful to my dad for 60 years). We found these recollections to be delusions when she couldn’t answer simple questions about them. Sad disease. These days, almost no delusions and she would never believe she previously said that she had affairs. Best advice I ever received in handling her was from a psychiatrist of hers who said to just agree with anything she says unless it’s dangerous. She won’t remember that you agreed 5 minutes later.

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

Absolutely brilliant, what a well thought out story, so well written and I have to wonder how many people have to go through this for real, I think the vase was a stunning idea to compare the devastated remains of a cheating partner with getting passed it and carrying on with life in a loving way

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

Absolutely brilliant, what a well thought out story, so well written and I have to wonder how many people have to go through this for real, I think the vase was a stunning idea to compare the devastated remains of a cheating partner with getting passed it and carrying on with life in a loving way

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I agree with all the accolades commenters have laid on this story. 5 stars.

The one thing I would want to know as the husband, 50 years ago during the initial confession, is "Why are you confessing now, after weeks or months of being 'blackmailed' for sex. He still has the pictures, why confess now?"

EastCoaster1EastCoaster1over 1 year ago

Dammit...

This hits too close to home, at least the part about a life partner of many years and a progressive illness stealing her away on a daily basis...

Some won't understand, others won't care because they can't relate.

I don't know if this is coming from your personal experience, but this is a love story, plain and simple.

Well done, sir... 5 stars.

vanyevanyeover 1 year ago

Such a sweet, painful story

Buster2UBuster2Uover 1 year ago

NTH does it again! Another Home Run HallMark Movies! Great Writing, Heartbreaking Great Story. Thank You NTH for so much hard work. Great Effort Sir. Thank You. #Buster2U

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69over 1 year ago

Truley a life story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Boring

YouamiYouamiover 1 year ago

Truly a moving story exceptionally well written, NTH.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

OMG, that’s just so moving. I have a real love-hate relationship with your stories. They are well written, with a good storyline, but just so sad. Thanks

Crusader235Crusader235over 1 year ago

I can't believe how much dust gets in my eyes while reading this story. Having recently passed our 50 years of marriage I can relate to the major ups, and downs of a long term marriage. Thankfully we're both in fairly good health, and not in a care center yet. Beautifully written, and worthy of more than the Five Stars I gave it. Thank you for it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I really ought to do some housework before reading your stories. Always seems to be a dust problem in the room when I sit and read one.

Another ☆☆☆☆☆ story.

Thank you.

teedeedubteedeedubover 1 year ago

Your writing is changing. For the better IMHO.

maninconnmaninconnover 1 year ago
Beautiful.

Thank you for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wonderfully done.

shadrachtshadrachtover 1 year ago

This story is sad and beautiful and well written. Nicely done b

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A character that is developed to have faults but still can exhibit compassion and love is enlightening and a welcome from the shallow “Some woman wants he’s spouse to clean another guys come”.. or some other lame self absorbed excuse from a slut wife. Good job telling a very good tale

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 1 year ago

Those comments rehashing the infidelity are missing the point of the story. It's about their enduring love in the face of her memory loss.

MarkT63MarkT63about 1 year ago

Good story. No reason to seek out an ex boyfriend after an argument...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Lovely

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Sad and beautiful

A swim through life's greatest lesson for this couple, relived again and again, in a page, with love.

Five for you

B3ndoverB3ndoverabout 1 year ago

Excellent story. A story of true love.

DessertmanDessertmanabout 1 year ago

A beautiful, very moving love story.

A very dear friend of mine, who I have known for over 55 years has suffered from vascular dementia for the past ten years. It is so painful to see her slowly ebbing away.

MarrttyMarrttyabout 1 year ago

This is a sad one. Well done

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Sad but in a way almost fitting. If you hate a cheater and want some form of revenge then having the cheater relive what they did, over and over, and feel that pain they caused someone they professed to love - well that is a living hell. Unfortunately, our hero here feels he had some blame and loves her so that I guess is the sad part.

A_BierceA_Bierceabout 1 year ago

Sixty-two years ago I fell in love with and married a smart, pretty young woman. I became a fairly successful writer; she edited everything I wrote and invariably made it better. Ten years ago she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I was her caregiver for eight years, finally wasn't able to give her the care she needed and she entered a memory-care home. Both her short-term and long-term memories are gone. I'll visit her tomorrow, she'll recognize me as someone she should know but doesn't remember that I'm her husband or what my name is. She has forgotten her many infidelities of decades ago that I have forgiven; it breaks my heart every time I see her with the outlook and mindset of a four-year-old, wheelchair-bound and always in a diaper. My only job now is to outlive her. Her lucid days are a thing of the past, but your story captures only too well the pain of watching someone you know (and once loved) slowly fade away. Thank you for being such a gifted writer.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A rare and.moving story. Well worth five stars. JPB

RamazaRamazaabout 1 year ago

Jesus, that was a hard story to read, very emotional, in my mind it's better to just die fast rather to linger on, loosing your mind bit by bit.

Five stars from me on this one.

ZippityDoDaDayZippityDoDaDayabout 1 year ago

Good story, love your "no talent" writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very strange, how an impaired women's past can be relived over and over again just to assuage to her that everything is ok.

Simon_MastersSimon_Mastersabout 1 year ago

Powerful stuff, very moving subject, well presented by such an "untalented hack".... Absolutely one of my favourite ever authors.

On a similar vein, think it's called the long goodbye.

Both stories my absolute worst nightmare.

Simon_MastersSimon_Mastersabout 1 year ago

Very powerful stuff, beautifully presented by this "notalenthack".

Truly one of my favourite authors.

On a similar vein, DFWBeast's Brownwood A Long Goodbye, absolutely heart breaking, and my worst nightmare.

CatMotherCatMotherabout 1 year ago

First rate. Truly a wonderful imagination, rare and insightful. Bravo!

XluckyleeXluckyleeabout 1 year ago

Sad but beautiful story,

Pjam1968Pjam1968about 1 year ago

Damn intense, thank you for the story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good story but the qife is it fault I do qhyw he shoulder the bursen the first and the times after she shouldnhave came clean sooner

There is very little balance inbthe marriage

davezqdavezqabout 1 year ago

Very moving, and well written. No extra words.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

First class writing and an A for originality. Thanks.

Ed

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

I'm 4 yrs into dementia. I feel god but my wife will tell me if I ask...Am I the same? The answer is no but still her man after 47 yrs. She gets mad if I look towards the future to far. She says we will adapt and love each other to the gates of of Haven together. I hold to that promise from her and God.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Good story that examines a problem a lot of us older folk have. I remember my brothers and I were warned not to say anything about our Dad’s death to our mother, who had Alzheimer’s. Her doctor told us that she would relive the memory of us telling her every time she remembered it and it would just be too painful for her. So we never told her, and I don’t think she asked about him more than a few times before she passed a few months later.

Thanks for the story, NTH. You are certainly NOT the no-talent hack your alias implies.

5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Dee

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Never understood blackmail where the threat is more extramarital sex to cover up a one time fling or even a short affair. Makes no sense. Physical violence, harm to a family member or loved one, severe financial or legal ruin to you or loved one, ok sure, especially yo buy time, but more sex to cover up prior cheating, and in this case date rape as the original incident and then continued rape for a few months. Glad she had the wherewithal to finally come clean. Todd172 summarized this well, but surprised hoe often this blackmail sex trope is used in stories. Bit tiresome. No rational person would empower thr blackmailer so. And yes dementia sucks.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Five stars isn't enough! While reading the story I felt a tightness filling my chest as the pain Charlie recalled became an issue for him to deal with as he shares his love for his beloved wife. Having a memory loop from the past come back is a challenge for those who were there then and are still here today yet are someone new to the one important person in the mixture. I became my Mother-in-Law's date while my wife became her best friend from her teen years...we miss you Mom.

TheOldStudTheOldStud11 months ago

What a wonderful story!!!

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Have an argument with a loved one/spouse, angry, go for a walk.

I bet there are thousands of people who will say they did things they regret after and argument, this turned out to be a bad one.

How many have gotten booked for DUI, crashed a car, gotten a speeding ticket because they were angry after an argument/fight.

Be so hard on the husband having to relive that bad time in their marriage so sad 5*

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

What a beautiful story

Love can conquer all

h2osh2os11 months ago

I didn't like it as I lived through it with my dad.

AngelRiderAngelRider10 months ago

Look at all the neck beard losers whining. Did mom make you Mrs Budds tonight? Don't you think it's time to move out? You are over 40

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Fuck you

That was wonderful, for a cheating wife story

HighBrowHighBrow10 months ago

What a beautiful, touching, well-crafted short story. I love it. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Five gold stars. Thank you.

MorovarMorovar10 months ago

Not many stories on this site make me tear up. This one did. Dementia, in opinion, is worse than cancer. With cancer, as horrible as it is, you remain YOU. Dementia takes that away. I can remember the pain in my grandmother's eyes when her husband of 58 years asked who that old woman was.

Cwsmooth2000Cwsmooth200010 months ago

Great and touching

EastCoaster1EastCoaster19 months ago

2nd read, and it hurt as much as the 1st time. My partner has so many healt problems, but the worst is the new terminal diagnosis of an illness that will steal her away mentally. We've seen some short-term episodes over the last several months, but the decline can't be stopped.

I know exactly how this MC feels, although not for the reason of the involuntary infidelity of his wife...

...5 stars AGAIN for this sensitive and poignant tale.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

One question. When did this take place? Soon after the reconciliation or much later in life?

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Milt should be walking with a limp for having sex with your wife, for the blackmail, milt should be...

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

A brilliant beautiful story. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

your name is the absolute opposite of your talent

Oatmeal1969Oatmeal19699 months ago

you really like these painful story accents. so sad. ouch.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

"The love of a lifetime existed between us. I...How could I do otherwise?" Me too. Still married after 41 years.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Real sad but amazing story. To some of the commenters below: the rape and blackmail happened many years earlier before the birth of their first child. Thyr have been married 50+ years and she has dementia. Husband has to keep reliving this, but has found a middle road response that makes his wife calm down without freaking out as she relives her memories. Dementia is the freaking worst. It is a direct assault on both spouses and other loved ones. Depressing stuff. My only criticism is the blackmail sex to cover up extramarital sex trope on this site. Yes her husband has a a terrible temper and she was worried how he woukd respond. If he didn't get to the truth from others he woukd have walked out on her permanently, committing a grievous error. She was drugged with a date rape drug. Of course in reality those didn't become accessible to perverts in the general public till mid to late 80s. But ignoring that, blackmail sex (which is itself rape) for a few months m, a couple of times a week is beyond traumatic. But at the same time caving in just further empowers the blackmailer. Just ckme clean with your husband. Seek help. Confess (though in this case some investigation shows she didn't do anything wrong to provike her ex) and see what happens. If your husband cannot handle it, then so be it. It is what it is. Not much to be done about it. But heaping on top of it with more extramarit sex, actually rape, to cover hip one incident is just nonsensical. Exceptions are serious threats of physical violence and the spectre of severe legal and financial ruin. For the latter two, at most submit once or twice to buy time and then get help, record those sessions (electronics have come a long way), get counter leverage. In the case of physical violence, do what you have to save loved ones, but tell your husband, go to the authorities, flee if need be and disappear. Contjnues degradation and rape is virtually never the answer. I say "virtually" because of exceptional scenarios involving drug cartels, gangsters, corrupt police, or government officials. Who knows then.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

i'm 65 now and starting to realize that this could be me in a few ? years . either i or my wife could start having issues and symptoms and start losing our minds .in some ways this is very sad,then on others shows how this man is doing his best to help her and love her no matter what . sitting her typing and crying at the same time . not sure i'd be man enough to cope with the situation like he did .

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Married 52 years now and all the bad memories are so insignificant. I doubt she had an affair or anything but if I found she had at one point in time it would not change a thing. There is a point in lives that we meld as one. I hope we both go with a still clear mind down the road aways.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userNoTalentHack@NoTalentHack
If you want to use one of my characters in your story or write an unofficial sequel or prequel or side story to one of my stories, please feel free to do so. I only ask a few things of you: 1. Credit me as the originator of the character/story. 2. DO NOT monetize it. This in...