Show, Not Tell

Story Info
Angela complains I don't tell her my love, then...
931 words
4.26
15.7k
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
oggbashan
oggbashan
1,530 Followers

Copyright oggbashan January 2023

The author asserts the moral right to be identified as the author of this work.

This is a work of fiction. The events described here are imaginary; the settings and characters are fictitious and are not intended to represent specific places or living persons.

This is a very short story intended originally for the 750 word challenge but got slightly too long.

*

It was Valentine's Day. We had driven to the local viewpoint although we could easily have walked it but the wind was cold.

I was aware that Angela was annoyed with me but I didn't know why. Eventually she exploded.

"James! It is Valentine's Day. We have been together for nine months and you have never said 'I love you'. I had hoped you would have proposed by now. You haven't and there is no sign you ever will. Yes, you sent me a Valentine's card that arrived today, but it was anonymous. You didn't even sign it. I've had enough. We're over. I want to find someone who will love me, not just treat me with indifference."

Angela stood up and started to walk away. What should I do? Follow her? Try to explain that my previous girlfriend had accepted my statements of love and returned them but eventually had betrayed me with someone else? I just stayed sitting in shock.

Angela was about fifty yards away when she suddenly screamed and yelled "I've been bitten!"

I rushed over to her. She had been bitten on the ankle by a brown snake. I kicked it away, pushed Angela down on the ground and lifted her leg. The two punctures of the snake bite were obvious. I took out my pocket knife, cut over the marks and started to suck. I sucked for about three minutes, filling my mouth with her blood.

"We've got to get you to hospital, Angela. I don't know what that snake was but it is not native. I've no idea whether it was poisonous or not."

I carried Angela to my car, put her in the passenger seat and drove to the hospital as fast as possible. Angela looked very white. I carried her into the emergency room. A nurse directed us into a side room and a doctor was with us in seconds. I hadn't expected that. The emergency unit had been busy for weeks, It must have been a very quiet time.

Angela was still in shock and finding it difficult to speak. I had to explain what had happened and that I didn't know what kind of snake had bitten Angela.

"You cut her leg and sucked the blood?" The doctor asked.

"Yes," I replied.

"That was the right thing to do, but looking at her leg, I don't think, in fact I am sure, the snake wasn't poisonous. Otherwise there would be more swelling and marks further up her leg. You behaved correctly but I think your efforts were pointless. We'll give her a tetanus injection just in case, bandage her wound, and then you can take her away. She'll be sore at that spot for a couple of days but that's all."

The doctor left. A nurse gave Angela a tetanus injection and then cleaned and bandaged the wound. I carried Angela back to my car and drove her to my flat. I sat her down on the settee and gave her a cup of over-sweetened tea.

Angela patted the seat beside her. I sat next to her.

"James? You love me, don't you? Despite having just dumped you, you rushed to me when I needed help. That's love..."

Angela kissed me.

"So why not say it?"

I explained about Chloe. I had been going out with Chloe for six months. Every time we met she told me she loved me, and I had responded. But the last two months, despite saying she loved me, she had been two-timing me with Simon and telling him she loved him. He didn't know about me. I didn't know about him until one of our mutual friends asked whose girlfriend Chloe was since he had seen her with both of us.

It had been a shock. I confronted her and she chose Simon. I had felt rejected and couldn't trust any woman for a year. Simon was also shaken by her treachery and ended with her a month later.

"That's why I was reluctant to say 'I love you'. I had been saying it several times a week to a woman who betrayed me. That hurt. But..."

I picked up a card from the coffee table. I opened it, wrote inside it, put it in its envelope and handed it to Angela.

"I had bought two Valentine's cards. I wasn't sure which one to send, but here is the second one."

Angela opened the card and read 'Angela? I love you. Will you marry me, please? James.'

Angela's response was to jump on my lap an start kissing me frantically before saying 'Yes, James, I will."

Actions had spoken louder than spoken words. From then on we were formally engaged and I made sure I told Angela I loved her every day.

+++

(Author's Note: I try to avoid typos, but my eyesight is compromised by cancer. I use two spellcheckers and print out in large typeface before submitting but I cannot guarantee that everything is typo-free -- because I can't see them. That is particularly true of the sub-title because I am typing blindly into a box I can't really see because it is so small.)

oggbashan
oggbashan
1,530 Followers