Shutting Down

Story Info
Adam finds comfort as his world falls apart.
6.2k words
4.6
7.6k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Adam walked across the parking lot to the wellness center, pleased to see the cars filling all the spots. He stepped up on the curb and jogged to the front door. He pulled the door open and held it for the three women heading out of the gym.

"Good morning, Adam!" they chorused.

"I didn't see it, but I know you all did a good job inside," He said, grinning.

They laughed and waved, chattering as they headed to their cars.

Adam headed inside. Behind the front desk Marilyn stood to greet him.

"Good morning, sir," she said, smiling up at him, "Can I get you some coffee? It's fresh."

"You know that's not necessary and I'm going to ask you to cut it out, right?" Adam asked, "But I tell you this every morning and it won't change anything, will it?"

"Regarding calling you sir first-thing in the morning, no," Marilyn said, heading to the small kitchenette in the gym's office area, "And I enjoy serving you your coffee. It'll be on your desk when you get back, Adam."

"Thank you," Adam smiled and headed to the gym.

He loved turning the short corner that opened up to the main floor. Natural sunlight flooded into the facility from the 25 foot high wall of windows that gently curved around the room. Three rows of treadmills hummed and thumped with walkers and runners. The air filled with the metallic clang of weights and equipment. Adam's favorite part, though, was the sound of conversation of the members. Small groups of people, clumped around machines and equipment, talked and laughed as they went through their routines.

Adam had spent the last three years taking the gym from ghost town to a social oasis. Now, the culture of the facility was warm and welcoming. Fitness should be fun in Adam's opinion and socialization was the way to make it happen. He had worked hard to build that environment and it paid off. The community engaged with each other here and watching it happen brought Adam joy.

Hassan, the trainer on duty, saw Adam and immediately hopped off the wellness desk to greet him.

"Hey, boss," Hassan said, "It's looking pretty good in here. We're down to 20% of members wearing masks and I still haven't heard any complaints about commentary."

"Good," Adam said, nodding, "Now, tell me that was a mirage and you weren't sitting on that desk."

"It was a figment of your imagination, boss," Hassan said, smiling broadly.

Adam rolled his eyes. "Are you teaching the core class at 9:30 or can I?"

"You can take it. I drummed up something special for today. Angie wanted to really get punished and I spent some time on my plan."

"Oh," Adam said, "Well, far be it from me to take away the opportunity to make them cry. I know you like that part."

Hassan fist-pumped. He did like that part. "Rebecca's going to try it too. I can't wait for that," he said to Adam.

"Isn't she the one who told you you were destroying her very soul and she couldn't trust you as a trainer?"

"Yeah," Hassan chuckled, "And that was after one push-up. ONE!"

Adam laughed, fist-bumped Hassan's shoulder, and turned to walk the rows of equipment. He joked, encouraged, and spoke to the members as he passed by.

He stopped in front of Gloria, a member who was sweating in front of the bicep curl machine.

"How many reps did you just do?" he asked while eyeing the weight setting on the machine.

"14!" Gloria said with pride.

"Gloria," he said, "You are stronger than you know." He stooped to adjust the pin and added 2.5 pounds. "You can do that. Aim at single digit reps to failure or up the amount of weight."

She sighed heavily and waved him away. He noted, proud of her, that she didn't adjust the weight back down.

Adam headed back to his office after making the rounds. Steam curled up from the cup of coffee sitting on his desk. Marilyn had selected the Michigan State mug and Adam smiled with approval. She knew him too well. He took a sip and checked his schedule for the day. He planned on jumping in to audit the new trainer's boxing session. After that, there was pickleball with the self-proclaimed 'old folks' and this afternoon was training with the local high school's girl's soccer team.

Adam could handle all the extra physical activity . He was tall, in great shape for mid-30s, and he would work out with anyone, any time. He had an engaging grin and eyes that sparkled with enthusiasm. Affable and spirited, he approached the world of fitness and wellness with nonstop energy. His one skill, if asked, was that he could make anyone feel comfortable about being themselves.

Adam clicked on his email and felt the excitement for the work day evaporate.

"Sale Finalized" the subject read. Adam's heart dropped. This had been in the works and he knew what was coming but he figured it was well down the road. Maybe even years away. Goddamn it, it really happened. He read the notes and prepared himself emotionally. He'd call a staff meeting tonight and give the news. He thought about what he was going to say when the email dinged again. He looked up.

The Subject Line: "Real Sorry about this."

He clicked again.

The Execute Vice President of the whole health system, Molly Sheridan, had found the time to email him. That was interesting.

"Good morning, Adam,

I can empathize with the disappointment regarding the sale of the wellness center facility and adjacent properties. I am aware of how well you've done and we in executive leadership appreciate your relentless efforts. You have built something to be proud of but, unfortunately, the financial landscape of the hospital system requires us to sell the property. You are aware there are no plans to build or repurpose other space assets for a new wellness center.

Thank you for engaging the hospital staff and surrounding community. The financial health of the wellness center was once in question and you have turned it around. I'll be happy to support you with your future endeavors and we'll provide whatever resources you need in your employment search.

To quote our CFO, John Harris, "It's a damn shame."

The email went on with contact information from HR regarding the layoff. Adam wasn't so much concerned at what his future held as to what his young trainers and staff were going to do. Marilyn had to go find a job now? And what would the members do?

There were options, of course, and he'd encourage them to go to places as groups so they could continue emotionally supporting each other with their fitness. But he still had to tell everyone the news.

Fuck. Well, the sooner the better.

Adam sent a text to everyone apologizing for the short notice but asking them to come in at 9:00 pm if they could. He'd provide snacks and they'd get paid for it. Within moments, confirmations dinged back and the team prepared to assemble. Meanwhile, Adam would figure out what to say.

He stood up and walked to the front desk.

"Marilyn, do you have five minutes for me?"

"Yes, I most certainly do," she said, smiling, "We do have an intercom system on the phone. You could call for me through that instead of walking out here."

Adam shook his head. "Somehow, summoning you via phone doesn't feel polite. Come on back."

Her eyebrows went up and confusion covered her face. The two of them had logged 50 hours a week together every week the past three years and she could tell something was up. She followed him back wordlessly and they sat in his office.

Adam came out with it.

"We are going to close the facility in three weeks, on the 21st," he said, getting to it, "The health system sold the property and we're included."

Marilyn did well to not betray her feelings. She sat silently, absorbing the information. Adam stood and offered his hand. Marilyn reached up and shook it. Adam shook his head and gently hauled her to her feet.. He wrapped her in his arms and hugged her, held her. Her tears came shortly after.

TUESDAY NIGHT

The front desk staff and trainers looked anxious and uncertain as they filtered in throughout the evening. Some of the off-shift trainers had come in early and lifted with each other. Two front desk staff members joined the drop-in pickleball and hit against the high school kids. Adam enjoyed watching the goings-on. The 8:00 pm crowd had a different energy from the late morning and early afternoon folks. The bass dropped in the fitness room as the Zumba class got underway. A burst of laughter erupted from the squat rack. The oval track, a moat ringing the gym floor, was a lazy river of walkers flowing by. Adam's soul hurt knowing this atmosphere wouldn't exist in a month's time. He let the sounds wash over him.

Finally, he headed to the classroom where the staff was gathering. It was a few minutes before 9:00 but a quick headcount told him everyone who was invited was there. And a few who weren't invited had shown up too. Oops. It spoke to the team's dedication that all 25 staff members made it out with almost no warning.

"First," he addressed the room, "I apologize to the group/class instructors. I didn't use the all-everyone text chain. That's my mistake."

Beverly, a front desk staffer, waved his apology away, "I got you, Adam. This seemed important so I let them know."

"Thanks, Bev," Adam said, "You saved me ... again."

Laughter. Nervous laughter. Adam looked around the room and read the anxiety. He rarely called an all-staff and it was always over the important stuff and with plenty of heads-up. This was awfully short notice and the team wore the appropriate expressions of concern.

"I'll get right to it," he said, "The hospital sold the wellness center and we're closing in three weeks."

Whatever they expected, it wasn't that. Mutters and whispers rustled through the room. The shock was obvious. He couldn't have dropped a bigger bomb on them.

"So," he said, "there's nothing we can do to change it. We're here now. I have three important things to say and then I'll take any questions."

Heads nodded in acceptance. Several staff members had pens and paper poised to start taking notes.

"First," Adam started, "I'm proud of what we've done here. We created an environment of comfort and acceptance. I hear about what a good job I've done and I have always turned it to focus on you. I could not be more proud of this team and what we have been able to provide the community and our members. Every one of you has done wonderful work and I brag about you every chance I get."

"It helped to get rid of Brendan," Shirley called out. Snorts of laughter and derision. James loudly booed, showing his displeasure at mention of the former trainer.

"He, and others," Adam said, "made choices. What they said and how they acted misaligned with our goals. But that's ancient history."

"Addition through subtraction!" Edwin called out. Applause and more talking. A few staff members called out "Rule 1!"

"Secondly," Adam said, after waiting a minute for the talk to subside, "You may communicate this to the members starting tomorrow. Leadership wants us to wait another week so they can control the messaging but I'm going to mass email everyone this evening. Feel free to call, text, and talk to members as you see fit. I don't want blame, though. They'll complain and get upset. Please empathize with them and let them vent. But please try not to portray this team in a negative light. Don't blame the hospital system for the sale, either. It just is, no more than that."

He paused and looked around the room.

"Along with that, we're refunding any year-in-full remaining pro-rates and I'll talk about how we do that with Marilyn and the front desk team tomorrow. We're also cutting contracts early if anyone wants to leave immediately. That, too, is against the wishes of our leadership and the financial board but, as far as I'm concerned, I don't care what they want."

Heads nodded. Adam had always run the facility in deference to what was best for the members, then the staff, then the business itself. He put members first and the team appreciated the financial bottom line being his last priority. The membership base was also well-aware and constantly thanked him for how he ran the gym.

"Lastly," Adam continued, "You. The team. This is short notice and the hospital system is pulling the rug out from under all of us. I know everyone will be scrambling to figure out what comes next. If you want to walk away today, please do. I won't hold anyone to two weeks' notice. If you need time to work on resumes, please come in and do that on your shift. I'll pay you while you job-hunt. I'll go over your resumes and cover letters and help however you need and I'll cover the desk and the gym while you get to work. This is an open invite. I will be working to get the building shut down but please interrupt me or set up an appointment that suits your schedule if you need attention and help. I'm happy to help however I can."

He paused. The air in the room was thick with emotion.

"Questions?"

Lauren, one of the trainers, put a hand up. A rumble of anticipation rolled through the room when Adam acknowledged her.

"Go," he said, looking at her.

"I don't need the money," she said, "And I'm not worried about finding another job immediately. I'll quit today so the others can divvy up my shifts and get paid."

"Thank you, Lauren," Adam said, "I'll let the other trainers figure out who wants which shifts and I'll cover whatever's still open."

"And, since I resigned now, I just have one more thing to say," Lauren continued. Grins popped up and faces of disbelief showed around the room.

"She's not going to do it, is she?!?!?" Loretta called out.

"Adam," Lauren said, drawing his name out and speaking with a lowered, husky voice, enunciating every word, "You. Are. Fucking. Hot."

The classroom erupted with a roar of hilarity. Staff members were crying with laughter. Manny jumped up and ran a lap around the classroom, shouting "AAAAAAHHHHHH!" Marilyn blushed heavily, not able to make eye contact with anyone. Jenny and Stacy were nodding at each other, grins plastered all over their faces. A number of staff members called out "Rule 1! RULE 1!!!!!!"

"Adam!" Lauren called over the shrieks, "If it weren't for that pesky Natalie, if you were my guy, I'd do things to you that are illegal in thirteen states!"

Pandemonium.

Adam stood in the front, refusing to acknowledge the comments, frowning at Lauren. She met his frown with strong eye contact, nodding and showing her sincerity.

It was cathartic for the team. He knew they needed the release after the news he delivered. He waited. Someone fell out of their chair laughing. Two fitness instructors, both female, high-fived Lauren. Chaos ruled.

"Rule 1!" kept getting called out.

When Adam first arrived at the wellness center, three years prior, he established three rules. The most important was Rule 1. Anyone who made any comments of a sexual nature, or allowed them to be made regarding members, staff, significant others, anyone, would be summarily fired. This included talking about appearance, who was sexy or hot at the gym, people trying to pick each other up or flirting, all of it. Even married or dating couples had to stop it while at the gym.

"I need you to create an atmosphere of comfort and safety, both physically and emotionally," he had said at the first all-staff meeting when he introduced himself. "Making comments or allowing them to be made will destroy that. I will fire you and I don't care if I go down for it too."

Three different staff members, Brendan specifically, had ignored or otherwise tested the rule and subsequently had their at-will employment opportunity revoked by Adam immediately. A number of members had been removed as well for the same offense. It was the stuff of legends and Adam was celebrated for making bold changes for the betterment of the gym's culture. The members, women especially, knew they had a place they could go where unwanted attention was aggressively policed by the staff.

Adam was proud his team had turned away people, both men and women, who were looking to join a gym to meet and possibly date others. He taught them he'd rather have a supportive environment over higher revenue from big membership sales.

And now Lauren flaunted the rule for the entertainment of the group.

"I'm just saying what most of us are thinking!" she said. More laughter.

Adam waited. The room eventually calmed down. He grinned at everyone.

"Hey," he said, "I know we're under stress and we need something to lighten the mood. It's fine in here. But do not take this outside there," he pointed at the door to the main floor, "And we're done now. Understood? Say, "Yes, sir."

There was not really a question. A resounding "Yes, sir!" brought the room back under Adam's control. The team sobered up. He invoked that direct order only a few times in the past several years as a show of how serious he was.

"I know you have other questions. Fire away," he said.

They did. Adam answered every concern and turned fear into actionable steps. The anxiety was still there but he directly addressed each issue and eventually the team felt better about the future.

They wrapped up just after 10:00 pm. The staff left singly or in small groups, still dazed. Adam waited while they cleared out. Marilyn came over and nodded at him, silently telling him he did a good job. Adam shrugged. There was not 'good' out of any of this. Marilyn understood that without a wood. She turned and walked out after the last of the trainers left.

Adam trailed behind her, turning the lights off. He shut the door, wondered if he would ever be in this classroom again.

WEDNESDAY MORNING

Adam walked into the gym. He had a laundry list of things to achieve and he was fully prepared to put it all aside to help his staff prepare for their job hunts.

"Good morning, sir," Marilyn greeted him, standing up, "Would you like some coffee? I just made it."

Adam tried to laugh. Marilyn, the cornerstone of the building's operations, was an excellent manager. He silently gave a thank you for having her to help him navigate the next three weeks. She gave the team consistency and was a rock for the young front desk staff.

"You don't have to call me sir," he said, following the script but not feeling it. She detected the lack of enthusiasm and went to serve him his coffee.

He sat down at his chair, frowning at his list. Moments later, Marilyn appeared at his elbow, a steaming cup of coffee at the ready. He glanced at her then down at the mug.

"A block "M"?" he asked, frowning at the University of Michigan mug.

"Yeah, to knock you out of the funk you're in. I know you're dealing with this but you didn't walk the floor at all yet. You shouldn't try to do this alone. I have to catch your attention somehow. Go out there and go say hi to everyone."

"Consider my attention gotten," he said, standing, "I need to go do that."

He walked out of the office and headed around the corner. The old guys' club, five retired men, spotted him and headed over. Their hands were extended and apologies were written all over their faces.

"Too damn bad," Frank said.

"Yeah," Chuck agreed, "We were gonna talk about the high school's win last night but this takes precedence."

Adam shook hands all around, knowing this would be his next two weeks. He had relationships with most of his members and it was important to listen to them even as the break-up process was underway.

And so it went. He walked the aisles between equipment, squat racks, weight racks, and treadmills and he got the same greetings from everyone. They thanked him, they offered their condolences, they assured him they'd stay to the bloody end.

His staff had done the same, expressing interest in staying until the last possible moment. Everyone was going to remain until they closed the doors, except for Lauren and James, who also gave up his shifts to trainers who needed the time and money. If anything, that made Adam feel better, everyone working together.

12