Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 01 Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She and her brother; both have unique skill sets. The people we have now will be instructors, but they will also work and ride patrols, down to and including me. The only exception is when women need to be pulled because they are pregnant and ready to move off the field. Our clerics will help make those calls for the safety of all of them.

If there is work that can be done at the garrison then we will keep them on, else they will go into a leave status. If they decide to leave the mercenary company it will open a vacancy which we will try to fill. I hope to have the mercenary company to 100 in 2 years and a full 200 in 5 years.

It might occur faster; we won't know more until we go to the Capital. During the entire evaluation and annually we will check to ensure that there are no disciplinary issues that will cause their removal. Any issues get reported.

If someone is in gross violation they should be apprehended. If that is not possible because they resist you have the right to defend yourself and your family. Inside the protected zone report to the nearest patrol and let them deal with the issue. Punishment will fit the crime; death will mean death.

Poaching or illegal wood cutting will mean serving a year of labor or heavy fines of 500 gold pieces for every year of the tree; digging out rocks in farmers' fields, planting the new trees, attending classes that you can control to teach about conservation of our resources. Firewood would be fined double the cost of getting it from the Wood Elves. Next question?"

An elf he recognized from his childhood. Elder Greenleaf piped in, "Will your mercenaries be coming to our villages?"

Eldar nodded, "Good question. We will be coming to your villages, but it will only be a select few. Except for our home in Misora, which will be busy with our men's activity until the town has housing ready. After that, no more than 12-24 who will be known to you.

They will come to talk about any issues the Elders might have. Any talented individuals from your villages who wish to join our group will know the do's and don'ts and they would have their own homes.

We will also talk with any human and Half-Elven people who are wanting to join. We will also be looking at an apprentice program. I have been authorized to train 2 Blade Singers which is a 30-year commitment.

I'm Academy trained by Master Trainer Yetto and the Academies only 4-time champion. I will teach them how to survive. I have very talented people with knives, swords, bows, magic, hand to hand, and we even have a priest.

Thirteen Grand Clerics who we can work with us to bolster our ranks; I would love to have one healer in every patrol. If members of your village join us their visits will be a simple visit home. We would ask the Elders to come to us or send a messenger if they have a problem with someone or apprehend someone.

We will consider that an invitation for a specific purpose and bring the fewest number of mercenaries into your village if required. As it is, we're cutting down on the area you patrol while at the same time increasing traffic across it. Next question?"

Elder Strong Oak again, "What about non-trade caravans?"

Eldar nodded, "We can do little about individual travelers. We will ask guards at the gates to warn travelers to stay out of the woods. Royal, diplomatic, and military; we will try to have at least one of our people accompany them but they have the right to refuse.

They will be required to pay for the campsite access. It's a matter for the King and Queen outside our area. Our patrols will detain anyone they find who is violating the rules. Short of stepping around a tree to relieve themselves, which we would understand because we do not want to see that..."

He got a few chuckles from that comment. "I should throw in sex in the woods as well. Even some non-Wood Elves might find the need to get back to nature and we do not want them holding up caravan traffic. Keep the violations to serious things."

A few more chuckled. "Next question?"

Someone in the back threw out a question, "Can anyone start a business?"

Eldar nodded, "Yes and no. For growth control, we're limiting the businesses to one per on the Elven side, one inn, one sawmill, one flour mill on the human side only. Eventually, we will expand to have a second inn, general store, stable, blacksmith along the dwarven human corridor.

We have to get traffic going first to justify that expansion. Those who own those businesses first have the option to establish the second location of the corresponding business so the prices are set to be fair.

No item sold in stores will go for more than 10% to what we would get them in the city plus labor costs. If the item is coming from human settlements then the price will be higher because of the cost of trade caravans and protection of them outside our area. Sorry, it cannot be helped.

Items from the villages, you have the option to establish them. You can declare them, but hold off on building them until you have the funds to build. A good example is you have some of the best bow and arrow makers in the world in your woods.

You could start by selling them to the store for store credit or a portion of it in-store credit and when you have enough to build, then build your business if you feel like taking on the hassle of owning a business. I'm sure someone on the human side will want to establish a business catering to the selling of meat and vegetables.

They have to build on the Elven side first; the elves own the land, but we want to centralize commerce into two areas; at the crossroads. If you want to start a business that cannot compete with the city prices then do not start it."

Question from the back on the other side, "How much to start a business?"

Eldar nodded, "Just the building will run roughly 10-15 thousand gold pieces stocking the building is dependent on what you want to sell. The bigger the items the bigger the cost. Next question?"

Elder Strong Oak, "Who decides who can start a business?"

Eldar smiled at her, "I was expecting this question. The first would be the first people who ask, have the money in hand, experience with what they are making and selling. We have to have a charter in place. Currently, 3 businesses fall into that category.

The inn with a stable is one. The general store was the second on the list. The third on the list and the first one that will have to be built in the sawmill.

We have someone who has built and worked one and it will be critical to getting the other building going. That sawmill may have 2 blades going for the first several years due to all the construction that will need to be done. Next question?"

Elder Ironwood, "What will the dwarves be doing?"

Eldar smiled, "Easy answer, what we ask them to do. Part of the treaty is they will provide manpower for the buildings we have to have. We provide raw materials. They also fund a third of the protection for the area. The granite we discussed for the garrison, then there will be the towers lining the dwarven route. These towers will be on the other side of the forest we're building.

They will be a first-line monitoring and warning system of any activity. Something this area desperately needs. We want it on the edge but it is not the only place we want to protect from, we want protection in the village.

I have given some specifications on what I would like the one and the only Elven church should contain. Including watchtowers that can see over the tree line to see the other towers in the distance.

A couple of lower towers for combat spellcasting by clerics or magic users. Something sturdy that the gods would be proud to see from the heavens. Any more questions or concerns?"

Elder Strong Oak yet again, "I want to say..." She sighed, "I'm sorry for the reception you received. The goddess is right, you have not forgotten us. You even respect our people's skills and showed, there is always more to learn.

Like Keyno's impressive skills. If the 12 of you are like the people you bring in you will be worth an army and not only save this forest but grow some of it back. In a month's time, a rare tree will die; it's part of the cycle of life.

Before it dies it will release 100 seeds; we will collect 30 of these seeds for you and you may have our craftsman build whatever weapons and armor you wish from the dead tree. It should be able to make 200 longbows and the tree has a life of 40 years.

The seeds grow quickly but what is important about them is that with the forest you're looking at building all new growth close by these trees will grow at a rate of 2 years for every year so that sapling that you plant; the quicker you plant them, the trees in the surrounding area will grow to be 80 years old.

Then it will release the seeds when it dies and if it can take root and has enough light then they will continue the cycle. They won't be as rare in the new forest for it will have a place to grow; they are Silvertrees."

Eldar looked down then back at her, "Somethings happen for a reason, my going to the Academy led me to become a Blade Singer. Not long after I finished there I chose to come here for my marriage. My 2 wives having family in the next village over made it even more idealistic.

Fate has brought me full circle. I'm a child of 2 worlds that will be a bridge to 2 more to better protect our people. All Elves and Elf-blooded as the Blade Singers code require of us to do.

Yet, I would do it anyway. If you're both in agreement then we can establish the formal handover documents outlining the new village. Outlining the area, we will be protecting this side of the border.

That will put Jarron and my father to work dealing with the human King and dwarven King in honoring our treaties. The new village will be named Quatarsia and the human translation Tolerance will both be listed on the signs at the edge of the village."

He got smiles all around from the Elders. Eldar Strong Oak spoke, "We will have the documents for you tomorrow so you can get your village and mercenary charters. It will take you a couple of days to get there as trees are downed over the road, and they are not small."

Eldar smiled at her, "We will try and save the wood and if possible, we will drag it back for the sawmill."

Eldar shook hands with the Elders and they walked back toward the house.

Eldar looked over at Jarron, "You want to pay me now or put a line of credit in the city for the supplies we will need?"

Jarron laughed, "You must have a lucky charm."

Eldar smiled at him, "I have two." He pinched both his wives' asses. That earned him a kiss on the cheek and loud laughter.

Jarron smiled, "I will get you a line of credit with the local moneylender; remind me never to bet against you."

Eldar chuckled, "I did once, I told you I never gamble."

Most of his squad yells in unison, "He takes calculated risks on the decision."

To another round of laughter. Eldar smiled, "I did not know what was going to happen but I knew it was going to be epic. Ask Doc, the only thing I knew to do was to get someone else to throw the sword in the water."

Eldar looked at everyone, "I need to eat something, so food and drink when we get back then I would like some help unloading the small wagon as that stuff is staying here for now. We will take the wagon with us to get supplies. Hunter, how long do you think it will take all of us to get that wagon unloaded?"

Hunter shrugged, "Maybe an hour or two at the most."

Eldar paused for a second, "I will ask the question now while Jarron and my father are still here, is everyone staying beyond this delivery to see where this ride takes us? Are Keyno and Tiger going to officially join our mercenary company? Last but not least are there any others who want and have the funds to start a business or need a trade deal to help finance a business?

Another option, especially for pregnant members is to come work at a business and continue being a trainer. Let's make this short is anyone asking for a transfer to another wagon team? If so just yell out your name."

All remained quiet. "Are Keyno and Tiger joining our little band of mercenaries; you would be trainers like the others because of your rare talents?"

For once Tiger spoke, "For the first time in our lives we have seen a goddess and now we're being asked to be a part of that plan. We talked it over and we would like to stay. We would also like to own a business but we do not have a lot of money. We were thinking of a tack and bridal shop, to make saddles and the like. Like the one Keyno uses."

Eldar looked at Jarron, "Jaron what is the typical going bounty on killing a giant?"

He Shrugged, "Usually around 10,000 why?"

Eldar looked back at the two new human members, "Because someone had a bounty on that giant we killed and we need your help in collecting it so Keyno and Tiger can start their business. Their 'leader' told them the bounty was 2,000 and did not give any information on who placed it.

As we have a town full of witnesses to have seen the giant and the rest of the raiding party, I think they were being lied to. That bounty might have even been larger if they were told about the ogres and orcs.

Either way, it would get them started and maybe even a little pocket change. The last question, is anyone wanting to start a business? Who wants a job when the business gets going?"

Eagle-eye started in, "I think I would like to tend bar at your inn and still work as a trainer."

Cook commented, "I could cook at your inn, and we could save up money to buy the other inn in the human sector. I can still train for a while but I will probably just Cook and take care of the baby for a time after that."

Eldar looked at the ladies. They both nodded.

Doc chimed in, "Well, in that case, Eagle-eye could open a tavern."

Eldar looked at Doc, "You guys have the money to build, or are you still saving?"

Doc thought, "We talked, we have about 7,000 at the moment."

Eldar smiled, "It will probably take another 8,000 to get it built and stocked. Why do not we put that off until you get 10,000 and we will throw in the 5,000, become your silent partner? We can put it right next to the barracks to keep those who just want a drink away from the ones who want food and a meal."

Eldar talked to Cook, "When it becomes practical to add the second inn if you do not have the money, we will look at getting the rest to get it started and you can pay it back to us over time with an agreement between all 3 of these businesses.

There will only be one tavern, not two. It's mainly there for the barracks anyway we want to keep it away from the residential area because they can get loud.

All prices for services, drinks, and food, where we overlap in business there will be no competition on prices. We see what the market bears, buy in bulk, and sell at the same price 10% over our cost with costs from the shipping included in the base prices. Then we can centralize out of our small warehouse, say on the second floor of the stable. When someone needs supplies it's handy and we will know when we're running low. Thoughts?"

Eagle-eye nodded, "I like the idea, it will make bookkeeping simpler and we get better prices when we buy for all of the businesses at once."

Cook smiled, "We will own the other inn once we pay you and part of the agreement includes us setting the prices at the same level; if that's what it takes, I think we can live with that."

Eldar looked over, "Hunter and Fireball?"

They shook their heads and Hunter answered, "We talked about if we get families a wife or wives then we might look to see what kind of business we can open."

Eldar smiled, "How about you Jarron, Father?" They both laughed at him.

Jarron shook his head, "We have enough to do thanks to you."

Eldar shrugged, "Well you could find yourself a wife or wives and help set them up and procreate."

He looked at Doc, "Oh hey Doc, could you do me a favor and check to see if Annette is pregnant? Check for twins while you're at it."

Doc groans and casts the spell right in front of everyone, "Two blue orbs one with a lute and one with a radiating head displayed."

Eldar smiled, "Apparently one is going to have a head for business like Annette and the other is going to write songs about our efforts."

He reached down and grabbed both their asses and whispered to them, "We know what tonight is going to be about my pregnant wives."

They turned red and nodded with smiles on their faces. They got back to the house and Cook and the wives tried to throw something together. He took Jarron and his father outside for a little talk, "Another set of twins. The Goddesses said all the pregnancies that I am the father of will be twins. She wants me to repopulate the Elven race by myself. With the ladies of course."

They both laughed then Heliar commented, "I do not know if that's a blessing or a curse."

Eldar shrugged it off, "I will try to be a good father but like you, I'm going to have a lot of responsibilities. Can I get a few minutes with my wives, my father, and Jarron?"

They waited for the others to head down the path. He looked at Jarron, "You caught what I meant about Annette's child having her head for business?"

Jarron stopped, "You mean he is psionic?"

Heliar jumped in, "Annette is psionic?"

Eldar nodded, "It can make for interesting sex!"

Heliar laughed, "Is that all she does with it?"

Eldar looked at Jarron and he sighed, "No she got me to stop yelling about Grand Falls until they got a chance to explain."

Eldar interjected, "I know you have not had time to ask about visiting our Drow friend yet and if the Queen and King were watching the night unfold then they are going to want us all at the palace as soon as we hit the gates, or am I wrong?"

They both looked at him and nodded. "This is where I will need your help. I'm not familiar with the protocols for court. I did not do those classes, I took more time honing my skills. I will need your help getting through that encounter without completely offending the royal family. Think you will be able to walk me through it on this trip to the city tomorrow?"

Heliar sighed, "I thought they taught you everything at the Academy?"

Eldar shook his head, "I took extra classes in swordplay and spellcraft instead. No heraldry either. Get me a couple of books and I can read up on them but that won't happen before the meeting. What were the odds of an impure bastard being asked or wanted at the palace?"

They shook their collective heads then Jarron looked at him, "You are right, it would be highly unusual for that to occur. Less so because of who your father is and winning 4-straight tournaments, Grandmaster. Better to let me handle introductions. How do you want to be introduced?"

Eldar shook his head, "I do not see where I have a choice, Knight Champion of Corellon Larethian, Grand Master Blade Singer, Eldar Silvertree. Is that the right order?"

Jarron nodded, "It may shock the hell out of the court."

Eldar smiled, "Some of the things I say may shock the court. What did you think of Elder Strong Oak's apology, Father? What relation is she to me if you know?"

He smiled, "I was happy to hear her say it and she's your grandmother."

Eldar nodded, "I should ride over and see her after dinner. If we're going to establish a relationship we need to talk from grandmother to grandson."

Hunter came over, "We have a problem with unloading that wagon, you all should come to see this."

They followed Hunter to the wagon. In the back, they found an additional 10 crates that were not there before. He looked at Hunter, "I wonder what this is about?"

He stepped up top and looked at the crates and the tops have overlapping letters 'CL' burned into them. He opened the top two crates. He found a piece of parchment and the crates were filled with rock. The two crates had different rocks. He pulled them down and handed the rocks to Jarron. Then he looked at the note.