Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 01 Ch. 28

Story Info
Dragon Wars Enhanced Edition 2021.
20.4k words
4.81
15.7k
9
0

Part 28 of the 50 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 07/19/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Silvertree Chronicles Book One, The World Awaits, Chapter 28, (Dragon Wars Enhanced Edition)

Synopsis: The life of Eldar Silvertree from graduation at the prestigious Elven Academy and desire to leave it behind. Only to return full circle to shake Elven Society to the core.

***Inspired by multiple fantasy environments. Not endorsed by any of them. © EmotionalStorm April 2021. This story cannot be transferred to any other site besides Literotica.com without the prior authorizations in writing from the author and EmotionalStorm must be credited for this work.

Authors warning: This section contains scenes of incest between sisters.

Authors Note: For those who have not read my bio, please note I write as a form of therapy for a Traumatic Brain Injury. I know the English majors will probably encounter issues that annoy them. If these are your focus, instead of the story itself, then this is not the story for you. I am not and will never be a professional writer.

I do it to tell the story, for those who wish to read them. I originally submitted this story back in mid-2017 to mid-2018. I have worked to try and improve my writing style while struggling with this issue. I have added some editing software and written a few other stories. Now I am revising and editing this earlier work to try and bring it up to a higher standard from what I have managed to learn over the last few years.

Chapter 28 Accolades

Eldar looked over at Captain New Moon, "I need you and a fresh squad to come with me. The casters who went with me on the first strike are to come with me as well. Captain Blaze the rest of your squads will accompany me back. Captain Tranosa. Take care of the dead, ensure this caravan gets to where it needs to get to and the civilian's body returned. We will take our dead back with us to our town. You have notifications to make. You are in command."

Tranosa nodded, "Will take care of it."

Eldar nodded, "We will be riding at half pace for the next 3 days so you do the same, food and water your horses walk them when you can. They did their job."

The scouts came back with 2 of the 3 horses. They got the bodies of their dead onto the horses, "Brave souls every single one of you." He noticed one of the dead bodies was one of his human soldiers.

He rode out to the men that dragged in bodies, "Please pass a message to your General one of the Gray Blades that died today was a human and that the Gray Blades are looking for more humans to fill our ranks. If he could add that to the dispatch as well. Let the word spread."

He rode over to Tranosa, "When you return that body, I want you to play it up that Elves and Humans died saving a caravan from a horde.

Leaving 220 enemy bodies on the field. They missed one hell of a battle and one of their own died. A caravan driver. If they want to get into the fight, we are looking for more."

Tranosa smirked, "Using that dwarf's body a bit are we not?"

Eldar nodded, "As we have been barred by Jarron from going into the Kingdom yet this is the only means of recruiting left to me."

Tranosa nodded, "We use what means we have to fill in for the troop we are losing."

Eldar nodded, "I sent a similar message back to General Falchion to add to his dispatch as one of the Gray Blades who died today was a human."

Tranosa nodded, "Get them angry and interested. Sometimes that is the only way to get them into the fight."

Eldar sighed, "I do not like the games, but we have to deal with what we got. My travel to the 2 Capitals is blocked at the moment."

Tranosa smiled, "You are just winning friends everywhere."

Eldar laughed as he rode off letting him have the last word. He got to his group and Goldeagle briefed him, "The caravan is turning back, they want instructions from the merchants and a replacement driver before going forward. Our actions here today will go a long way in getting the protection forces that worked for the merchants to join our group."

Eldar nodded, "I gave Tranosa a more direct message. Too bad the only dwarf who met this conflict and died was a civilian. It fell to Humans and Elves to take up this battle. That should rile a few into action."

Blaze laughed for the first time today, "Seems you know dwarves."

Eldar smiled, "I know noble warriors. Your presence has been requested at the palace. I suspect we will receive a royal escort upon our arrival."

Blaze nodded, "Why did you bring this up now?"

Eldar smiled, "Because when I talked with the Queen about wanting to bring her nephew in as a Lieutenant and I had a strong Captain who would watch over him while he learned about battle tactics.

She sighed. Then she commented that she wished some of her other family was as interested in protecting the people. I thought she should know the fact she does have one already. I wanted to introduce her to that Captain. I have 4 more Moon Blades as well to deal with. I left them in her care."

Blaze smiled, "You have been busy, where did they come from?"

Eldar grinned, "They were treasures returned to the Elven people from the Dragon Kingdom. One is the last active house blade. That gives us all 8 major blades back in Elven's hands. Another 6 new house blades."

He shook his head, "They just happened to make them available now?"

Eldar smiled, "I made a couple of inquiries with contacts at the palace. We got some results in them returning these Elven relics from before the Dragon Wars ended over 7,000 years old."

Blaze nodded, "Sounds like you are becoming quite the diplomat."

Eldar glared at him, "You want to be a sergeant working for your brother, keep up trying to call me a diplomat."

Blaze laughed, "No, I like being a Captain. We are ready to move out."

Eldar looked around, "Dismount and feed and water your horses, we will walk for at least the first couple of hours so they can digest. Then we will travel at half speed and cut the corner and travel diagonally toward the river road."

---

They spent the next 3 days returning to the town. Another 2 to get to the city. Arriving on the morning of the fifth to a royal escort of 12 guards. "Your presence is requested..."

Eldar cut the guy off, "We know the Queen wished to see us, please send a message to my wives and father at House Silvertree to join us."

The Royal Guard nodded, "They will be there."

He sent two riders and the rest of them moved at a normal pace and by the time they hit the palace district Charlemagne and Annette were with them, "How bad?"

Eldar looked at them, "We lost 3 including one female lieutenant and our first human loss. We also lost a dwarven caravan driver. The human army lost 8. They killed 36 from their side with aid from Tranosa's men. We killed 184 on our front."

Charlemagne opened her bag and pulled out a blue cloak, "The enchanter said you ordered these."

Eldar nodded and held it up, "I have put 200 of these on order right now. They are for those who die in service to the Gray Blades. Now we have 4 families to give these to. If they do not have families we will box and display them on a wall listing how many lives were saved.

How many of the enemies were taken due to their sacrifice. They also have the choice to wear them into their graves or funerals if the time arises. There Wills will be important to make their wishes known."

He handed 3 of them to Captain Blaze, "Your responsibility to see these get to the 3 families. If they had a next of kin listed."

He nodded and stuck them in his bag. They pulled up to the Palace and the grooms had learned as they took their horses straight to the stable and the guards were confused. They got them unsaddled and brushed down and closed the stall doors. Eldar yell out "T'suras fika."

He heard T'suras mounting one of the three mares in the stall. Blaze looked back and came to him, "He is fucking my mare!"

Eldar smiled, "He will fuck them all but your mare will be carrying like the other 2 are already."

He rolled his eyes, "That is only six months of riding."

Eldar shook his head, "Four months, he is giving her twins."

The ladies chuckled and Annette smiled, "Some things have not stopped working."

Eldar nodded, "True. Speaking of which we need another 12 mares."

Annette looked at him, "How many horses are you going to have?"

Eldar shrugged, "Between 2-3 thousand war horses. Oh, one of the twins in Blaze's horse will become my new mount in about 4 years, a stallion of T'suras caliber. T'suras will be a stud most of the time after that."

She shook her head, "Why so many?"

Eldar smiled, "Two for every man and woman including my wives. Others are for when the army comes in and horses are in short supply. We have them and they are trained. It will be appreciated by both our elven and human allies. Dwarves are not much for horses but some will appreciate them."

Annette nodded, "We need ponies for them."

Eldar shook his head, "They will ride horses they prefer to be on foot. Halflings that join will want ponies or to go on foot. I am not expecting more than a couple unless we get settlers who want to build a small shire."

They walked into the palace and the throne room had nobles on both sides and the center was all open. Eldar saw Jarron and his Father waiting for them.

Eldar bowed before the Queen, "Your Majesty, 3 of my Gray Blades died including a female Lieutenant and our first Human Gray Blades to die. One civilian death a dwarven caravan driver. We killed 184 of the enemy. The human military eliminated another 36 with some of our arcane assistance as they came in from the west.

They lost 8 men. There King is now adding a couple of squads of human battle mages. In addition to a few battle clerics as the 6 healers I brought in with us spent most of their time dealing with the human wounded. He also talked about replacing lost cavalry units.

The former Commander Falchion who was made a temporary General had his position made permanent. I ordered 3 squads to go out with each caravan. At least along the southern border."

She looks at Eldar, "Captain Goldeagle rode in with you?"

Eldar shook his head, "No, Your Majesty. He was with the caravan under attack and defending it. The 3 that died were his troops and they took the initial attack before we arrived. They killed approximately 24 of that 184 as we rode in. IF we had delayed, the caravan and everyone guarding it would have been killed. The horde would have advanced much further before withdrawing. Best estimated put it over 200 but less than 300 enemy troops."

She smiled, "My Grand Master continues to impress. I have gotten word from both the Dwarven and Human Kings expressing thanks for the aid you provided. The Dwarven King has also told me his son would have been interested in hearing of this but he has been sent on a mission into the deep roads.

The human King has cleared you and your group of all charges in Grand Falls after concluding his investigation. Your departure from the city confirmed you could not have been responsible for all of those deaths. Step forward, please, and take a knee."

He stepped forward and took a knee. She drapes a medal around his neck, "For your leadership skills and continued service. The Elven Medal of Heroism."

Eldar nodded to the Queen, "On behalf of my Gray Blades I will accept this award as Heroism extended beyond me. To the 3 of our troops who charged into a horde knowing it meant certain death. To the officers who command the troops, and the troops who decimated this incursion, Your Majesty."

Queen Goldeagle nodded, "I like that, a mercenary company unit award then."

Eldar nodded, "Thank you, Your Majesty."

She then taps him on the shoulder and he looked at her as she said, "You are now a Duke for the southern borderlands. This extends from the south of the city down and into your mercenary area. This is recognized by all 3 Kingdoms. This gives you diplomatic rights for protection in their areas when you need to conduct business. It allows you to raise 600 troops for the protection of your duchy paid for by the Elven crown."

Eldar sighed, "Thank you, Your Majesty."

She looks at him, "One last thing. When war rages in your area you have the rights and privileges of a Field Marshal in directing troop actions. This will also be respected by our allies. Given your knowledge of our enemy and incredible numbers of lives you have saved."

She looked back, "Captain Goldeagle."

He steps forward, "For your bravery in facing our enemy I knight you and place you in the care of Duke Silvertree."

Queen Goldeagle looks at them, "Rise."

They did and she kissed each of Eldar's cheeks, "Thank you for saving him and the others."

Queen Goldeagle looked at her nephew, "Welcome home my Knight. It is good to see you taking an interest in the protection of our people. This was a surprise. Shocking, yet a good surprise. She kisses him on each cheek and the lips."

There was a round of applause. She signals that they could return now so they return to the group.

She looked around, "Anyone who doubts issues exist on the southern border should know that even before he was a mercenary commander until now he has seen the death of over 300 of our enemy with the loss of 13. Only 4 of those were under his command at the time. One was a civilian dwarven caravan driver. The rest belong to our Human Allies."

There was another round of applause and Eldar just hung his head at this and sighed.

Annette, "You alright?"

Eldar, "I find it hard to hear applause when they talk about our dead."

Annette, "I understand, Grand Master Duke."

Eldar lifted his head as the applause died down.

Queen Goldeagle continued, "Now I would like to have a private audience in my chambers with you, your wives, your father, Jarron, and Knight Goldeagle."

Eldar nodded and they moved toward her chamber. The door was open and she had already made it to her desk though she stood in front of the desk. They walked in and Eldar was in the middle.

She looked at him, "You hired him into your company without even telling me?!"

Eldar sighed, "Technically I hired him and found out when we went to set up his pay that he was a Goldeagle and your nephew. He did not want the Palace to know at that time. Though he knew it should have already been discovered. Your accountants that pay our group was sending money into his account, Your Majesty."

She smacked him on the check, "That is for not telling me!"

She then kissed him on the lips and almost slipped him her tongue but remembered her audience. "That was for saving his stubborn ass! You keep challenging me and this Kingdom. You are aware of your position in Nobility?"

Eldar nodded, "I know the order, Your Majesty."

She looked at him, "You have to build a Keep."

Eldar nodded, "I would like to incorporate it into the Garrison. It will be larger but I would have it centrally located. As the Mercenary company would fall under the rule of any family member who rules next even if they do not wish to be a direct member of the mercenary company as I do, Your Majesty."

Queen Goldealge nodded, "Speak freely, please. That would be acceptable. What are you going to do for the additional forces?"

Eldar smiled, "I am going to go to the elders of the 2 villages and find out which elder oversees the warriors. I will make them a Captain and they can give me a list of their existing pecking order and number. I will also look at pulling a group of centaurs that joined us and make their leader a captain.

His men will continue doing what they are doing but it gives him the ability to bring in other fey folk or more centaurs. Once I have a number from them. Capping them at 175 for the villages and a 100 for the centaur unit. That leaves a 150 for town protection and protection on the keep. They can have more; they are just not on the payroll or have the authority.

As they are on the payroll and they do not have accounts we would have to have funds dispatched to the Keep in the name of Duchess Annette Silvertree. While Duchess Charlemagne Silvertree will keep tabs on the roles and numbers across the area.

Charlemagne is already doing this for the Mercenary company, it is just going to accounts. Annette has to deal with this for buying things from our farmers to other merchants, where coin works and accounts do not exist for many, at least yet."

She smiled, "What will you be doing during this time?"

Eldar gave her a wicked grin, "Besides keeping my wives pregnant and satisfied in bed? Saving as many lives as I can. The local protection force will do small caravan protection on the northern side of the river. Once they get to the river the mercenaries will take over. That keeps more of the forces toward the southern front."

She smiled, "When did you come up with this?"

Eldar smiled, "From you making me a Duke to walking into this room and giving me numbers."

Queen Goldeagle looked at him, "Is there anything in particular that you need?"

Eldar nodded, "I need a master level enchanter and apprentices. I need everything from weapons enchanted, to stoves so they do not burn wood. Lower the impact to the wood elves even further. They can work here in the city and start with stoves and weapons from Moon Blade as they come in."

Queen Goldeagle nodded, "I can make that happen. The fact that they do not need to relocate is a big bonus for them."

Eldar nodded, "When we get to forges or magical campfire rings so wood is not needed there are other things I am considering. I could also use cattle and sheep farmers for the village. Cut down on hunting."

The Queen smiled, "Will send your request about enchanting a couple of forges in your town to the dwarves and the farmers to the humans."

Eldar nodded, "Thank you, Your Majesty. I am trying to improve the lives of those that live in my duchy."

Queen Goldeagle nodded, "I see that you are taking that part of the job seriously as well. What do you plan next?"

Eldar smiled, "I am hoping for a couple of days of downtime to recharge from rushing between battles."

She nodded, and she looked at her nephew, "You plan on bringing him in?"

Eldar smiled and nodded.

She nodded, "I approve but his movement is restricted, being a royal."

Jarron, Heliar, and Eldar nodded to her. She huffed, "They want to see you right away, they did not like the delay. I do not care about that because of what the delay was for. Take my nephew with you. When they ask why he is there, 'Tell them it is because I demanded it in explanation of your delay.'"

Eldar nodded, "I might get a day of downtime there, we have to be back for the briefing."

They left the room and Jarron took them to see the Lady and she nodded at the extra traveler, "A new Knight?"

Eldar smiled, "Also a Royal and one on the Elves we kept from dying on the front line that was under attack. One of the Elves we saved by this delay."

She raised an eyebrow and nodded in understanding. They held hands and the next thing they knew they were in a very large building with a blue marble ceiling, white marble walls, and dark black onyx dust-covered floors that were soft to walk upon.

The Lady looked at them, "Solid smooth floors just do not work well for traction. We can reach below the dust and grip while it slows down others' movement, non-dragons who do not fly."

Eldar nodded, "Very clever. How do you keep it from flying from a wing buffet?"

The Lady smiled, "We do not. It can be quite painful, another weapon. We spread it back after a battle. Fortunately, the biggest thing we usually have to worry about is a dragon storming out of here in a huff and spreading it around."

Blaze looks at Eldar, "Dragons?"

Eldar nodded, "The Saatorixx Knights is an organization founded over 7,000 years ago, reformed 800 years ago. The express goal of making sure when conflicts occur, they remain small. The founding reason for establishing the mercenary company is it trains potential Knights to handle conflicts around the world.