Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 02 Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Silver Rose looked at him "I know right where he is at. He came back to town, asked that you leave him be and he would return when he was ready to return and not before. He told me the dragons were responsible for the deaths of several family members of his."

Jarron groaned, "Not directly. They worked for the Knights and died in service trying to aid in protecting the Dragon War Treaties. He had some valid concerns and I am not downplaying that. Hold a minute."

He contacted Zaria, "We found Brannar. He is not hiding. He took a room at the inn here in Junction. Asked to be left alone."

Zaria sighed, "He will have every method of ward in place in that room. He does on the one at the Keep. Thanks for finding him. I want to talk with him but he needs time to calm down. Don't go charging in there. The death count would be high. I know he has at least 3 fully charged wands for fireball, ice storm, and chain lightning.

Not counting what he can cast or that Staff of Storms which is near relic status, built for his mother at my father's request. She wanted to fight at his side. He has been the only one to use it. Take a sorcerer and mage who cast tier 9 spells and he can cast that many times! As though you are facing 2 casters! He also knows enchanting, wands, and wondrous items only last I checked. I should say that he would confirm to father and me. I had no right or method for checking myself since he was 40. Staria would have known more, he got all of her enchanting books.

He was casting tier 6 spells under control by the time he was 17 and ruled ineligible for the tournaments as my father oversaw the Academy who could make that ruling himself. The Capital Academy agreed once they heard he could bring tier 6 spells in as a 5th year. He was pissed about that ruling as well. He is right, a lot of effort went into holding him back.

He spent the next year breaking into every spellbook he could get his hands on from the library and was casting tier 8 spells by the time he was 25. He did not give a damned if father did not want him to have those spells. He told him to disown him or kick him out of the Academy. Father would do neither because he expected the sword in his hand and he knew who he would be going after.

When he 'graduated at 40 he was casting tier 9 and was starting to look into mythic spells. What spells he developed in the last 45 years, I cannot tell you as he refused to discuss it. He knows multiple languages and runs multi-tiered encryption with exotic languages as the basis for them.

Silver Moon taught him all 3 dialects for the Far East and those are only some of the languages he knows, including draconic, celestial, infernal, dwarven, and more he would not reveal to me or anyone else. He called them his prison distractions."

Jarron sighed, "I will figure something out." He ended comms. He dismissed both ladies and sat back and calling in Frank Rivers. Frank looked across, "I need poison to subdue a caster. Brannar Silvertree is staying at the inn. I just need it to knock him out so I can get some manacles on him and disarm him before he kills anyone.

He is a powerful caster and I have to try something to contain him and get him talking with me. Get it to the innkeeper right away and double up the squads in the inn. I want him alive and uninjured if at all possible."

Frank shook his head, "As long as I am not one of them. I know Storm Wraith. I was there when he got that name. He could level that inn with a couple of spells. You are asking for trouble."

Jarron looked at him, "Just do it. I don't need a loose cannon in Junction."

---

Brannar woke in the morning. He studied up a couple of teleport and teleportation circle spells. He had added detect poison to his stable of spells since Staria died. He did not eat or drink if he did not check it first.

He undid the wards and unlocked the door and window. He got downstairs and there were a few former Gray Blades milling about. Too many.

He went up to the bar, "Could I get a morning meal please and some water."

He sat in the booth next to the one used by Silver Rose as it was empty at the moment. The man set a water-skin and a plate in front of him. There were at least 10 pairs of eyes tracking him at any point. He cast detect poison over it. The food tested as poison the water did not.

He drank some water and went to the bar with the plate of food, "When I pay for food, I expect it to not be poisoned. I would like to see your kitchen staff."

The barkeep glanced at the former Gray Blades that worked to get up from the table behind him silently and slowly. Brannar extended a hand and hit them a thunder wave spell. He sent plates, forks, tables, chairs, and the two men flying back against the wall a good 30 feet further away. The table and chairs were more like kindling for the fireplace now. "That was a warning! My Aunt was killed by poison. I assume that was not your intent. You get up off the floor I am going to assume otherwise.

Now as for you, barkeep I would like a morning meal without the poison. Else I will stand here while you eat it deciding how much of your establishment, I will leave standing!"

He walked back toward the kitchen and Brannar followed. He got another plate of food and handed it to Brannar. Brannar looked at the men on the floor, "It is safe and wise to leave now."

He took the plate. Detect poison showed it was clean. He took a seat on this side of the room. The inn had cleared of all the Gray Blades who became knights that he knew. He positioned himself to watch the front door and the kitchen. He sat and finished eating and nobody came. He walked toward the door and looked outside and saw 30 men waiting but scattered about to avoid any area of effect spells.

He stepped back from the door and teleported into the stall with his horse. He saddled him up as he heard the ruckus outside. They had all moved toward the inn slowly. As he rode out, he summoned his staff into his hand.

He looked at the men, "I will give you one chance to get Jarron. You try and rush me and I will show you what I did to a hundred and eighty-two orcs and ogres. I doubt the inn behind you will survive that as the last time I destroyed 800 feet of forest. I sent trees 100 feet into the air. While we wait why don't you all move into the inn. Trust me the further away you are from me the safer you are."

They started moving into the inn one by one except one who went to the house to get Jarron. He pulled away from the stable and went down the street.

---

Frank sat in Jarron's office holding his ribs, "I think he threw a thunder wave but it was amped and over the top. Sent us flying over 30 feet away and destroyed the table and chairs we were using, not counting dishes. He told us it was a warning regarding the attempt to poison him. He cast detect poison again according to James who sat on the floor with me. Said he checks everything he eats and drinks for poison. I think I got 3 broken ribs thanks to your orders. I told you it was best not to piss him off. The owner is going to want restitution from you."

Jarron sighed, "Alright get over to the infirmary and get those looked at." Sally came in, "He teleported in behind us and is on his horse. He has all 35 of the guys moving into the inn. He sent me back to find you. He threatened to level the inn the same way as the forest he destroyed if they did not move inside and away from him. Needless to say, they are complying and I came to get you."

Jarron sighed, "Alright, I should have expected him to be cautious of being incapacitated. You come with me. You get your ribs fixed. I'm sorry I did not listen to you."

---

Brannar was near where Jarron would come out and located where it would be harder for someone to sneak up on him. Jarron walked out a few minutes later with a few others. Brannar looked at him, "You can send them back inside. Your other men are in the inn playing it safe. You want to talk; you do not need them to talk. You seriously fucked up with trying to poison me. My last mother was killed by assassins poisoning the food. I check every single time now."

He sighed, "Nobody knew how you would react this morning."

Brannar laughed, "I did not hurt anyone last night. Two of the thugs who wanted to grab me are nursing some very sore spots from being pushed into the wall. Other than that, I did not hurt anyone. I even let Silver Rose know I was staying the night and it was best to just leave me alone last night. Trust me I would have rather had her wrapped in my arms last night but I needed my head on my shoulders to be straight.

What do you wish to say? Sorry, they played such a big part in fucking over your life?"

Jarron looked at him, "I cannot change the past. I want to talk about your future."

Brannar nodded, "Alright, what about my future?"

Jarron looked at Brannar, "We cannot talk about it here."

Brannar looked at him, "Where can we talk about it where your men are not going to try and poison me, rush me, or otherwise detain me?"

He looked at Brannar, "My office."

Brannar nodded and with sarcasm, "We will see about that."

He cast a teleportation circle and Jarron yelled, "Wait!"

Brannar was gone.

---

Jarron cursed, "Ficka hell."

He pulled a crystal, "Zaria, he teleported away again. I tried to get my guys to put a knockout poison into his food. See if he shows up there."

Zaria screamed, "You are a fucking idiot Jarron. Since Staria died he carries that to cast multiple times a day. He won't drink water without checking it for poison. You just broke a cardinal rule any Silvertree would be upset about. Poisoning one of us. You are lucky he left instead of leveling the place." She ended comms as she was pissed at Jarron.

Jarron got back to the base. He had Lady Silver Hair on the Crystal, "We located Brannar last night. I had my guys try and use poison to subdue him. I had a couple of injured but no deaths. Zaria told me I was an idiot because he checks everything he eats and drinks for poison giving what happened to Staria."

She sighed, "Any idea where he would go?"

---

Brannar sat on his horse in Jarron's office. He was there about 5 minutes when Jarron came walking in with a crystal in his hand. "I don't know where he..."

He looked over and sighed, "He is in my office still on his horse."

He heard laughter on the other end, "I am on my way."

Brannar looked at him, "You can wait by the door. I do not want anyone behind me at the moment. My trust factor right now is at an all-time low. Who are we waiting for?"

He looked at Brannar, "She was introduced to you as Lady Silver Hair. A name your father gave her. They worked together to take down the Draco-lich. That mission led to your father becoming a Duke."

Brannar sighed and got down from his horse as his back was starting to hurt from being stooped over in the saddle. He stood next to his horse with his staff still in hand. He flicked his wrist and put his staff away. Brannar looked at him, "How are your men? Besides the hurt pride?"

He smiled, "They are fine, maybe a couple of bruised or broken ribs. Some of them had seen the aftereffect of your battle that earned you your nickname. One of them was on that detail. You scared the shit out of him. With what you did to the enemy. Trees flying in the air. He transferred to the Knights shortly thereafter."

Lady Silver Hair walked into Jarron's Office. Brannar noticed he was between Jarron and any chair. "Well, the gang's all here unless you plan on calling my sister and the Queen in."

She laughed, "You remind me so much of your father."

He shrugged, "You would know that more than I would."

She looked at him, "Your father loved all of his children."

Brannar smiled, "You don't know shit lady. He locked me away when I was 12 because I was a danger. I was lucky to see him for 30 minutes every 3-6 months. Then when I become an adult, I join the Blades. I got stuck in the Fort Ash prison for another year watching a wall collect dust. I started considering the option to leave the Gray Blades all together and voiced them to General Goldeagle.

They suddenly came up short on an escort and I was finally allowed to get out of the Fort Ash prison. During that time, he never visited me. Next time I see him, he is a proud father because of the destruction I unleashed. The destruction everyone feared. No being thrown back in a prison cell after that. He did not even speak with me in the last 5 years of his life.

I do not like being caged. Just like what your asshole friend did in trying to force me to listen to him. Then my own sister in stopping me from riding away last night. If the Queen had not been present, I would have unloaded every spell I had on him! I have to ask. What was the Queen's reaction after I left? I know the Lord Prick was probably surprised by my solution."

Jarron sighed, "The Queen was dismayed at the damage. Lord Regal tried to force you to stay instead of letting you cool off. He is picking up the cost at the Queen's insistence. He taunted you to force your hand. He was shocked at your approach as well as the level of destruction you caused. You destroyed both doors and about three feet of wall and another foot of ceiling."

Brannar nodded, "Good thing I did not heighten the damage on that spell and then cast it directly at him. His death would have ended the magic too."

Jarron just stared at him. Brannar looked at him, "You wanted to talk about my future."

He nodded, "That is what I said. The Spirit of Silver group is missing. We sent them to the Far East to establish a new base of operation. They never reached port. That is the story we got from an agent on the ground. They traveled by ship."

Brannar looked at him, "What is your plan?"

Jarron looked at him, "We are looking at sending two squads of Knights on a ship to see if they can retrace the steps."

Brannar looked at him, "Who is in charge of this mission?"

Jarron sighed, "Captain Silver Moon. She is to establish a new regional command in the area. She will become a Commander. Like the operation your father initially set up, without the training facility for now. We do not have much of a presence in that corner of the world. She is meeting Captain Valita Silvertree, your elder brother, the bard who has been scouting. Silver Moon said she would like to have you as her second in command. She said you already know the local languages."

Brannar nodded, "63 years in the Academy prison gave me a lot of time on my hands. I am still not sold on the worth of the Knights at this point. Not with the personal cost to me and your own actions. The failures to live up to the treaty that you are just hiding from the world instead of fixing the problems.

I would rather go as a private citizen. I will work for the Queen and the Elven Court, not you or any who work with the dragons. I will work for nobody at this point who works directly with the Dragons.

Until such time as they have earned my trust and actually live by the terms of the treaties or new ones are created. I am agreeing to go not because of the Knights, which I wished I had never been brought into at this point, but because of the missing Silvertree family members."

He looked at Lady Silver Hair who nodded then turned to Brannar, "Your father trusted me."

Brannar looked at her, "After my grandfather? How about after my Mother and Brother? What was his trust like then? Was the trust in the Dragon's still as strong all-knowing Lady Silver Hair?"

He knew the answer from his father's Journals. He wanted to see if she would say something truthful for a change.

She looked at Jarron, "The blow out your father had with his sponsor, Lord Regal centered around the lack of action being taken. The loss of non-dragon lives that appeared to keep mounting. Your grandfather's death was a catalyst. It became even more strained as they rarely spoke after your mother died.

Only if Lord Regal contacted him about something. Anything your father wanted to be sent back he sent through Charlie and later through Tranosa to me. Your father told him to go fuck himself on more than one occasion.

He wanted Annette to be used for missions for a month or more without your father on one occasion. They negotiated it down to 2 days with your father and Staria attending to her personal security. I worked with Charlemagne and now Tranosa. Annette worked for your father but she had a trainer. Lady Amy Tryst."

Brannar nodded, "Appeared to keep mounting? They continue to mount. My mother and brother being some of those burnt bodies that mounted. I saw Amy on occasion. She seemed nice enough. She is like you?"

She nodded. "Poor choice of words. My apologies. Lady Amy Tryst has talents like Annette had and your other brother who trains with her half the year."

Brannar chuckled, "That explains all the training trips. He is probably lusting after her."

He looked at Jarron, "Give me a list of who you are looking at taking on this mission."

He looked at Brannar, "I will have to go to my desk."

Brannar waved him over and grabbed a chair. Brannar sat with his back against a wall as he looked at her, "I respected Charlemagne. She was usually way too busy for me. I saw more of Staria, as I was her sister's only living child. I saw her 100 times more often than my supposed father."

Jarron handed him a list and Brannar looked at the names, "Lieutenant Rose I understand as she is gorgeous. This other Lieutenant Sutter I do not know. The two sergeants one is alright while the other I do not know. The ten privates. Five of them might be useful for anchors. I do not know the others. You have too many full plate type fighters. You are putting them on a ship so they will be next to naked or walking on the bottom of the ocean. You have no casters other than Silver Moon and myself IF I go.

They better have a way to stow the heavy armor and wear something light while at sea. They all better know how to swim. Else you need to replace them. All of them"

Jarron looked at Brannar, "What do you know about the ocean?"

Brannar looked at him, "Enough to know I could get passage for nothing and get paid for the trip. Storm Born sorcerer is a hot commodity on a seagoing vessel. Both for advancing travel and for combat. I have to go back and see the Queen IF I do this.

She was going to give me diplomatic papers. If my sister wants to talk with me, she would have to see me at the Palace or House Silvertree. She tried to imprison me in a wall of force. Did she tell you?"

He nodded, "She was frantic when you dropped that crystal and teleported away. When we contacted her to tell her you took a room in town she calmed down. She does want to talk to you. I will send her a message."

Brannar looked at him, "Where are they departing from and when?"

He looked at Brannar, "Silver Moon wants to teleport them to the outskirts of a small town outside the port city of Wash Horn."

Brannar looked at him, "If we can get them to House Silvertree we can go from there. As I do not know the location, she will have to make the trip twice. If not three times depending on how many others have horses.

Jarron thought, "She could get a few deployed to an inn from there and get the rest from Silvertree if you can take some to House Silvertree."

Brannar nodded, "How many?"

Jarron sighed, "I have Silver Rose and her squad are not traveling with horses."

Brannar nodded, "You contact my sister, tell her I need 6 House Silvertree Horse brought to the Palace. I will be spending the night at the estate. If she wishes to have any further contact with me, I will need her to bring 12 sets of leather armor from our leather smith.

To give to your boat anchors. She will also need to bring me the crystal I left behind. It is up to her, but she tries to cage me again. She will either never see me again or I will be presiding over her funeral."

1...34567...19