Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 02 Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She sighed, "Did you not say you would seek love after he was gone?"

She smiled, "Love not a lover. I have my children."

The Duchess laughed, "My father would have liked you. He always saw or searched for a loophole in things."

Silver smiled, "Do you have any information on the amulet that got absorbed by your father? Other than it was an amulet of health?"

She nodded, "It was a high-power amulet of health. Charlemagne and Annette figured the strength of it just made it that much more powerful. Why?"

Silver looked up, "Travious is the new Knight Champion. I do not want to make the same mistake. I have to choose some kind of necklace for him so it is an informed decision; not something random. I should also tell you.

Your father and brother's deeds were read in Open court by me from their own journals, except for the items encrypted. I also added my contribution to the whole effort. That is why I got Knighted. Because the Gods willed that the truth of their deeds and sacrifices be known now to all."

The Duchess was about to cry and she simply looked up, "Thank the Gods for that. Do they know of the Knights and this place?"

Silver looked at her, "They know now."

Zira smiled, "I will have to talk with the Queen about the future of the Knights."

Silver simply nodded, "I have to go, I need a caster who can take me to the city and bring me back. House Silvertree is good."

She nodded, "I will have one mounted up and ready to bring you back when you need too. They miss you."

She smiled, "Not for much longer. Out front on horseback in twenty minutes. I need to grab my armor."

She went outside and rode like the wind to the house and called on my armor. She grabbed her shield. She looked at the changed holy symbol and nodded to herself, "I thank Tyr for the training he gave me. I will now use it to help the elven people in service to Corellon Larethian because that is where my heart is."

She walked out the door, rode to the town, and met the girl, "Can you put us in front of the enchanters' shops?"

She smiled and they were in front of the enchanters' shops.

The sales lady spoke as Silver walked in, "Hello again. It has been a while. I was sorry to hear about your husband."

She nodded, "I am here about elven full plate."

The sales lady smiled, "They are ready for use, they will adjust to the size and have the best protection. One with House Silvertree."

She looked at her, "How?"

The sales lady smiled, "A gift from the King and Queen for all that you and your family have done."

She sighed, "What do you have in the way of light amulets of health or amulets of proof against poison."

She looked around, "I have two plain proof against poison and one that was a special order and canceled. A lady dressed in white said to apply what she put down against the cost. It is both a mild amulet of health and proof against poison."

Silver chuckled, "I will take all three for my children. I do not want them to die the way their father did."

She nodded, "I applied the royal discount. We have a note on file from the Queen and Duchess Silvertree that you are to have it applied as if they were right here with you."

She stopped, "Do you have a ring of returning set?"

She smiled, "Two sets if you want them?"

She smiled, "Put them on the armor, hand me the one on the Silvertree armor. Two mithril shields, like this if you have it."

She looked at it, "We stock those for clerics mostly. You want two with high enchantment?"

She nodded and gave her the account number.

She put the two sets of armor, three necklaces, two shields, and rings into the bag of holding that she hardly ever used.

She walked up and to the mage, "Do you know the city well?"

She nodded, "Grew up here and trained at the Academy then joined the Blades."

Silver looked at her, "Take me to the poorer part of the city."

She looked confused and nodded. They rode through several side streets.

Silver closed her eyes and listened for a clue. She heard some children fighting and followed the sound. A few kids were fighting and one seemed to be the center of attention.

She rode up, "What is the problem here?" The kids look up and scatter except for the boy against the wall. "What was that all about?"

He hung his head, "I was hoping to a Blade Singer but testing showed I have no magical ability. They said the best I would be is a fighter."

She looked at him, "You strong?"

He shrugged, "I am more dexterous than strong but I am no weakling."

She looked at him, "How is your memory?"

He sighed, "That is the thing I have a great memory for things but I cannot even be a caster."

She nodded at him, "What about your belief in the gods? Do you believe they have a plan for you?"

He sighed, "I hoped they did. Like Eldar Silvertree and his prowess in battle."

She observed, "Mixed heritage."

He nodded, "Why we live here. Mom cannot find a new husband until I am grown. She is always in a bad mood. This will kill her when I get home."

She looked at him, "How old are you?

He looked down, "Just turned fifteen. The mandatory testing that got instituted in the City."

She smiled, "Show me where you live. Let me talk with her."

He looked up and moved around in front and saw the Silvertree on the front of my armor. He looked at me, "You are a Silvertree?"

She nodded, "My husband was Duke Brannar Silvertree. Son of Eldar. He died before our children were born."

He nodded, "He was made an Admiral. I heard he was poisoned in the Palace."

She sighed, "That is not exactly true but I will tell you about that later. Maybe. Your home?"

He pointed, it was 3 doors down. She rode down and the boy went through the door like a storm. He yelled for his mother. She heard a crashing sound. She went inside to investigate.

She looked at the boy as his mother was sitting on the floor with her foot bleed. She yelled at her son, "I need a cleric now! You scared me to death coming in like that!"

Silver walked forward and looked at the boy, "Hand me a clean towel."

He grabbed a towel and handed it to her. Silver looked at the mother, "Sometimes fate smiles on you at the oddest times."

Silver wiped off the woman's foot. The cut was deep but it did not look like anything was in the wound. "I am not a cleric."

She focused energy on the woman and closed up the wound as it had never been there. The mother looked at her, "If you are not a cleric how did you do that?"

Silver stayed there on the floor with the mother, "I am the first Paladin of Corellon Larethian. Knight Paladin Silver Silvertree. Tell her how your testing went."

He looked down, "They barely found any trace of magical talent."

The mother groaned. Silver looked at her again, "You remember what I said about fate?"

The lady looked at her, "I am fated to wait another 60 years to get a good husband?"

Silver smiled, "That is not his fault, but why am I here at this moment in time?"

The mother looked up, "That is a good question."

Silver stood, "I am the widow to Duke Brannar Silvertree who was the son of Eldar Silvertree. I am looking for someone devoted to the gods. Particularly Corellon Larethian and the Lady of Dreams. They must have little to no magical ability, with a strong body, dexterous, and mind for remembering lots of information."

She looked at me, "But you have magic."

She looked at her, "It is divine magic not arcane. It is based on faith, dedication, and years of hard work. He would train with me for 30 years, then a military training facility until he is 75. Then he has to train two students of his own for 30 years. While remaining celibate until all of this training is done. We are talking about 90 years of training, 30 of that as an instructor.

You think Blade Singer's training is tough. Imagine doing tumbling and acrobatics while in full plate. Learning riding, all the laws, treaties, church doctrine, specialized training in elven longbows, and specialized training in elven long swords. Top that off with a code of conduct and a life of service to Corellon Larethian, the Queen or future King."

She looked at Silver, "He could become a knight?"

Silver smiled, "Knight Paladin which is just above a Knight. What is his name?"

The woman looked to get up. Silver offered her a hand. The mother looked at her son, "Sola Moon Ray."

She nodded, "Like the Moon Blade holder elf-blooded. Her blade passed to one of her children. She trained under Eldar Silvertree."

The mother nodded, "Did you know her?"

She smiled, "Only through the detailed writings of Brannar. He extracted from his father's rambling journal. Details that lead to the revelation of what was going on with the Dragons. Brannar finishing his father's work while killing a Lich who killed several Silvertree family members."

She pulled her papers and handed them to the lady who read through the details. "You helped to find the forge of the Moon Blades. The one that crafted the weapons that protect the city?"

Silver nodded.

She looked at her son, "Life as a fighter, a guard, or become a Knight Paladin."

He looked at Silver, "I would love to have you as my teacher Dame Silvertree."

Silver looked at him, "I am a Knight Paladin, not a Dame. My paperwork calls me out as the Mother of Paladins. I will be the only female in the order ever. I was a duchess by marriage but I am not allowed to hold that title anymore."

The mother looked at her, "Why only men?"

Silver looked back, "All the years of being out of action from pregnancy after so many years of training. Also, why I will be the only elf-blooded. I trained as a Paladin under Tyr, a human god, and had the choice of what to do with my life.

I chose my elven heritage. I had to atone; it is a ritual to switch deities. It was hard and painful. But I did it. Now I have to learn a lot of new things as well because of this switch. I will be teaching you and sometimes others will be teaching me to teach you."

Silver looked at the mother, "He would live with me starting today. Can you accept this? Both of you?"

The boy nodded and the mother looked at Silver, "You will ensure he is protected?"

Silver smiled, "Elven full plate, elven shield, elven longbow, and elven longsword. Then he will have access to divine magic in the future. He will pray for the access just like a cleric, but he will have a smaller set of spells because he will develop new skills like lay on hands which is what I did to you."

The mother nodded, "You have my permission to give him a shot at a future. Where will he be?"

Silver smiled, "Think of the area Eldar lived. I live in his home before he had children and the Keep. He will be spending a lot of time in Quatarsia at the church, stables, or out by Silent Falls."

The mother nodded and she looked at the boy, "Grab what things you wish to take. I will be getting you some clothes and all that because you will have to go from working to Court."

Sola looked at her, "The Royal Palace?"

Silver smiled, "That's what I thought before I went. Etiquette will also be required for learning. You will be training with one of my sons."

He nodded and grabbed a couple of items before they went outside. He stood next to Zea'Trans, "The Keep crossroads please."

They arrived back at the crossroads. The boy was shocked to be teleported.

She smiled, "Go down to the general store and tell Sally I need three sets of clothes, pack, etc. Just like she was equipping a very young fighter. Tell her I will be down when I have my children."

He nodded and ran off. She went to the Keep and got her children.

She walked toward the general store, "I know what each of you is destined to do. The Lady of Dreams came to see me."

They all looked at her and her daughter asked, "That was why you were gone so long?"

Silver nodded, "Yes little Battle Mage."

She smiled, "What did you do?"

Silver smiled, "I had to do an atonement, I switched who I worshiped. I am known as a Knight Paladin now. As the Mother of Paladins as I will teach the very first paladins for Corellon Larethian. Two of them. Travious will be one of them. He has almost ninety years of training ahead of him starting tomorrow.

The last thirty will be training two more Paladins. Just like my second student who is in the general store Sola Moon Ray. He is mixed like Eldar was. Brenner will be a Blade Singer. Duchess Silvertree is looking forward to evaluating you when you get to the right age.

While my little Battle Mage may be at the Academy sooner like her father, but I will come and visit when that happens."

She nodded. They walked inside the store and she looked at Sally, "Charge those items to my account."

She looked at the two boys, "I will show you the extensive code tomorrow after we all spend from morning to mid-meal in the church, going over church doctrine for Corellon Larethian and The Lady of Dreams. It is time you start to revere those who have played such a role in shaping your ancestors and your own futures."

They all nodded, "After midday-meal, it will be time for horses and riding lessons."

They finished getting what they needed. They stopped back at the Keep and the Duchess was in the yard. Silver looked at her, "This young man is a relative of Moon Ray and he will be my other student. I need an elven longsword befitting a holy warrior. Do we have something like that laying around?"

She smiled, "I know just the sword. 'Pale light' It was Dorothy's sword. Father had her as the first Captain of the town protection force. Anything else?"

She thought, "How are we fixed for elven longbows? I need four of them."

She laughed, "The wood elf village crafts them for us. If you want them enchanted that is another matter. You can also pick them up in the general store. They keep some in the back for when people are looking."

She nodded, "Something we can look at another day." She walked home and put on some food. She pulled off the bracers and passed them over to Brenner, "Your father's bracers. Kirra I have another pair upstairs that belonged to Viola your Aunt."

She looked at Travious, "Put this ring on." He did so. "Sola, Put this ring on."

She reached around and took her necklace off, "Brannar 's holy symbol."

She looked at Travious, "Put this on, it was your father's."

He put it on and she grabbed the special necklace.

She told him, "Open your shirt." He did. she handed him the other necklace.

He put it on. It disappeared and the holy symbol was now in his chest.

She sighed, "I just gave you a necklace like Eldar's except milder and it makes you immune to poison."

She looked at his siblings, "I got you both one that does poison immunity."

They look at him before Silver spoke again.

Brenner asked, "I thought that only happens to the Knight Champion of Corellon Larethian?"

Silver nodded, "Like your grandfather. This time the second Paladin. Destined to be Knight Paladin, Champion of Corellon Larethian."

She pulled out the two shields and handed them to them. Then she pulled out the two suits of armor. She looked at the two boys looking at this massive armor. She smiled, "It will adjust. Think 'Armor on.'"

They were now both sitting in full plate armor. She looked at them, "No fast way to take it off. That ring on your finger connects to a ring attached to your armor. You could be dressed in a hurry. Tomorrow morning you two will put it on by yourselves and you will see how much time that will save you. I will show you how then. That will be early before the morning meal. As soon as we are done eating, I want Travious to read this out loud to the 4 of you.

I read them in the Royal Palace Throne room. It tells you the hidden story behind your grandfather and father, except what is encrypted. When you are done reading it everyone should come upstairs with any questions. I am getting out of my armor and eating in quiet for once."

The kids laughed. She went upstairs and got out of her armor.

She called down to Travious, "Bring the first book with you for a moment."

He came upstairs and she took a scarf and covered the last chapter, "That chapter you can read about when you are an adult and thinking about a girl. You will not be able to marry until you are a 105. You have to remain celibate through all of the training you do. After that or soon before that find a woman who you are interested in and read that section before you do anything.

Your brother should see it when he is seventy-four because he can get married after 75. You will know when your sister needs to read it."

He sighed, "That section has a sex talk to it?"

She nodded, "Advice from your grandfather that was passed to your father and now to you. They just never thought you would get the sword this young."

He nodded. "Thank you for not making me read that."

She smiled and sent him downstairs. A few hours later she saw a nose poke around the corner and she waved them in.

They came in and Brenner asked, "They did all that?"

Silver nodded, "With the Commodore dead I had to take charge of the fleet. We sunk another four pirate vessels and killed 3 more dragons.

We blockaded the reef in case any ship tried to escape. That is why I was finally knighted while I was gone. I am a Knight Paladin and known as the Mother of Paladins and the first Paladin of Corellon Larethian or any elven god. Serve him and to a lesser extent his wife the Lady of Dreams. She is the messenger. I have seen her. In fact, she helped me up off the ground the night the dragons disappeared.

She made me choose which one of you would become the next wielder. If I had chosen either of you, I would have had to take Travious to the Monastery I was trained at for Tyr. I would likely never have seen you again. When I died, I would have been separated from all of you and your father. Except for Travious, he would have stayed with Tyr.

Travious would also have no chance at being a husband or father. The order for Tyr has changed to a vow of chastity for life. I knew what it was like to grow up without parents. I did not want that for you. Even if I only get the next 30 years before they pull me to perform a task. They cannot touch us while we are in a training state."

The kids nodded and Kirra asked, "Father was poisoned by the Lich he killed. Like grandpa and the other champion?"

She nodded, "Yes, he just died a few hours later after the battle as his body was fighting it but he could not beat it. We did not know. That is why the necklaces. Your great grandfather died in a royal court in a wizard's battle, your grandfather lost the last of his first 6 wives due to that poison.

He died on the field in combat against another champion whose weapon had that poison. Your father saved many lives in that battle even after being poisoned."

They nodded and Silver looked at the boys, "Place Sola in your room on the floor for tonight. We will figure out if we want to add a bed or have Kirra stay with me." Kirra smiled. Silver looked at them, "Bed."

---

She laid down and went to sleep. She dreamt of her husband for the first time in a long time. Silver asked, "Was that you under the Silvertree?"

He smiled and nodded. She sighed, "I do so miss you."

He looked at her, "We will be together again, thanks to the decision you made. I never asked you to change."

She smiled, "Everything changed when I lost you, then the children, the chaos with the dragons, and I found peace in our little home. The Lady was right. I was adrift. I was mad at the gods for not protecting you better. Then I remembered what your grandmother told you. 'You will do what you can, but remember fate sometimes intervenes and you cannot change it.'

Your fate was to destroy the Lich. Mine now is to train our son and bring Paladins to the Elven people. I will make the most of the next 30 years with our children. Then I will have to resume the fight. To do what I was trained to do. What I will be training to do."