All Comments on 'Sister from Bicester'

by Alondra

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
AlondraAlondraalmost 7 years agoAuthor
thank you

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I may have rushed this one a bit. Most of my short stories aren't so short, and a couple of them are actually closer to novella length. I wrote most of it in an 8,000-word rush in the midst of an afternoon thunderstorm, so carried away was I last week. Somehow, looking outside at the rain and lightning, I was irresistibly reminded of the English weather my friend enjoys. And yes, she really is psychic. I was skeptical. But she proved it to me by her sudden flash about the tower fire. I wasn't trying to be insensitive; just realistic.

I think she may actually be my One True Love, and I pray that somehow, some day, we can be married.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Good but you can do better

I liked this one quite a bit But unfortunately it felt rushed and incomplete by the time end rolled around. It was good but not as good as your first one so I gave you a 4* this time.

cdnbimale50cdnbimale50almost 7 years ago
Excellent

Excellent story, hon!My advice to you is to delete any anonymous troll comments. We should be required to sign in to comment, it's the right thing to do.

AlondraAlondraalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Embracing the dichotomy

To my fans, I thank you all.

Your kind words are much appreciated. I've been doing this for four years, and your support has always meant a lot.

And to my detractors, all I can say is that some of us know how to embrace the seeming dichotomy between science and mysticism, between the spiritual and the sensual. And I'm truly sorry for you if you don't get that.

As I've said, this story is based on reality, and it is in fact the most painfully honest such story I've yet written. The horrific events that befell my friend not 30 years ago really did happen. She still bears the scars, both physical and psychological. Hers is but a single textbook example of the victims of the Mohammedan rape-ugee crisis now engulfing Europe, thanks ultimately to more than 50 years of looney-libby policies and, most recently, the disastrous efforts of both Dick Cheney and Barack Obama. I will not apologise for stating the truth.

Further, if said critics can do any better, I'd love to see 'em try. But based upon the puerile, profane, illiterate responses I've seen thus far, I doubt they could write an intelligible grocery list.

AlondraAlondraalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Yes, really.

Yes, really. And in an erotic story, too.

When you've read as many romance novels as I have over the past 35 years, you know such language is desirable---truly a thing to be encouraged, and only a philistine would condemn it. Women love it. They appreciate respect, not objectification. My English friend loved the story, and she told me it was beautiful.

There is no such thing as getting carried away as a wordsmith, not if you are careful and a scrupulous editor. Sure, Anne Rice has too many pet words, and Patricia Cornwell really needs an editor. In fact, they both do.

But words are like tools, and we reach into our toolboxes for whatever suits the task at hand.

Marvin Gaye once talked about a woman he loved very much. So high was his esteem for her that he truly believed her vagina was a sacred thing. So, too, it is with me.

I am very light and relaxed when I write. There is not an ounce of artifice in what I do, no pretence at all. I've written this way out of long years of natural habit since the 1980's. Were I to "lighten up," as you say, or omit said religion and politics, now THAT for me would be pretentious.

I included the latter two topics in this piece as a way of striving for brutal honesty. My father died two months ago, and my English friend remains troubled by past traumas. Indeed, in a real way, I wanted to exorcise some demons for her.

As for losing an audience, I don't give an Irish damn. I know my worth, and objectively speaking, I'm easily one of the best writers on this site. The administrators have told me so, and so have the fans. I know it's true. I write for a living, and what I do here is a glorified hobby.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Thank You

While the story was not to my personal taste it was a great pleasure to read because of the good grammar, accurate spelling and punctuation. Do not worry about the rude and ignorant critics who proved themselves unable to even compose a sensibly written comment.

AlondraAlondraover 6 years agoAuthor
And thank YOU.

And thank YOU as well.

Very kind of you. Quite funny, I sensed someone had commented, somehow, and there you were. Strange! Synchronicity, mayhap. I don't think I'm psychic, as Amanda is. But whatever the case, this makes my day.

GRATIAS TIBI. +

oldwayneoldwayneover 6 years ago
I loved it!

Five Stars*****

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Loved it!

Very nice.

Please write more!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAlondra@Alondra
I'm a professional editor, and I've been in journalism for more than 20 years. I've written two novels, including one that is a compilation of incestuous-themed love stories.