Six Degrees Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"She knew her attacker or attackers. Let the person in, got TASERed, and that was that. So, no computers, no personal effects?" I asked.

"No computers." said Teresa. "Her cellphone, and her purse for that matter, have not been found at all. Cellphone is not pinging anywhere either. I would not be surprised to find it at the bottom of the River. Anyway, Uniformed Officers canvassed the neighborhood. No one out of the ordinary was noticed."

"Okay." I said. "Unless we catch a break, this one is likely going to go down as a pro hit, and unsolved."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 9:50am, I got a phone call on my personal cellphone. It was The Intendent, the lovely Adele Peabody.

"Don, I have to talk fast, so don't interrupt." she said quietly. "That ten o'clock press conference is going to involve you. Something's going on, and some of the Council is very interested in it. I just called to tell you to watch your back, and don't overreact to anything. Gotta go, bye."

Well, I thought as I hung up the phone, that was very brief.

I had little time to ponder it. The Chief buzzed me on the phone. "Mr. Crowbar," he said, "can you come to the Main Conference Room, please?"

"Yes sir." I said. I secured my crowbar under my desktop, where I'd put a couple of coathanger-like hooks to hold it in place. I then left the office. I knew it was big when I saw the Chief in the hallway.

"Let's go in, shall we?" said Moynahan. He led me into the Main Conference Room. Already inside were Sheriff Daniel Allgood, Deputy Chief Della Harlow... and Fire Chief Patrick Quinlin.

After brief hellos, we settled in to watch the press conference...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This press conference," called out Assistant Fire Chief Jefferson, who was at a podium in front of the Courthouse, "is to announce the filing of a lawsuit on my behalf by the Fire Department Union and the Concerned Citizens for Safety, a non-profit organization dedicated to the safety of citizens.

"As some of you know, some days ago a number of former EMTs, who were illegally on strike, attempted to block the progress of an ambulance attempting to reach University Hospital, putting the patient inside in grave danger. The EMTs did not care about anyone's lives but their own when they illegally impeded the ambulance.

"These illegal, dangerous, and intentionally harmful actions were video-recorded by multiple persons. This evidence was made available to Town & County Police Commander Donald Troy. Commander Troy not only refused to take action against the illegal strikers, he instead threatened Fire Department personnel with bodily harm. Furthermore, this video evidence was collected by Sheriff Daniel Allgood, and that evidence was not only not acted upon, it has disappeared. No actions were taken to arrest nor charge the illegal strikers; they were allowed to remain free, even after their lawbreaking actions.

"Our request to the Inspector General has not been acted upon. Filthy lawbreaking EMTs continue to walk free. Therefore, we are compelled to file this lawsuit to force the Inspector General to investigate the Town & County Police Department, and particularly Commander Donald Troy, for dereliction of duty, and covering up for criminals."

This was followed by a Union official in a five thousand dollar suit calling for my suspension without pay from the Police Force. "We also ask for the SBI to suspend Commander Donald Troy as an SBI Reservist, and we demand the SBI open an investigation of Donald Troy for corruption." he said.

Then the Media got their shot.

"Chief Jefferson!" yelled Priya Ajmani, "is this a political retaliation for Commander Troy arresting you the other day?"

"I look forward to my day in Court to clear my good name from the smears upon it by Commander Donald Troy." shot back Jefferson. "The record will show that my actions were in the right, as I and others attempted to arrest the murderer Jimmy Lawson as he attempted to flee the jurisdiction of the County"

"Chief Jefferson, Lawson was acquitted by a jury of his peers!" called out John Hardwood. "Aren't you committing criminal slander now?"

"I don't care what that rigged jury found." snarled Jefferson. "That EMT Lawson is a murderer, and let me point out again that he is a filthy, lawbreaking EMT. If Lawson wants to sue me for slander, he can come right here to this Courthouse, in the jurisdiction of this County, and personally file the lawsuit. I look forward to Lawson personally coming here and facing me. I do not fear that filthy EMT punk. If he's innocent, why doesn't he show his cowardly face and stand up to me?"

"Chief Jefferson, the Iron Crowbar stood up to you, and arrested you for your own lawbreaking actions." said Bettina. "And he's legally done nothing wrong, while you not only broke the law, you assaulted a Police Officer. So why are you of all people making an issue of this?"

"Okay, that's all the questions we're going to take." said Jefferson's lawyer. He hustled Jefferson and the others away. All the other reporters glared angrily at Bettina.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I've done nothing wrong." I said in the Conference Room.

"It's gotta be a political ploy." said Daniel Allgood. "And by the way, the evidence has not disappeared. It's in the Sheriff Department's Evidence Room."

"Better check on that." I said quietly. Allgood looked stunned at my implication.

"Don," said Fire Chief Quinlin, "I came here to tell you that I had nothing to do with this. Jefferson went way over my head, not to mention the Sheriff's. He's already suspended; there's nothing else we can do to him right now, so I guess he thought he can get away with this."

"I know, Chief." I said. "Anyway, this is not spontaneous at all. Very carefully planned, well orchestrated according to a very tight script. You may think Priya's question was hostile, but I think it was pre-planned so he could give that pre-planned answer. That was pure kabuki theatre."

"It may well be," said Chief Moynahan, with his peculiar inflection and accents, "but it is still dangerous to you, and to all of us. The Media intends to run with this. Miss Ajmani intends to milk this for all it is worrrrth."

"The lawsuit will be squelched within five minutes of being filed." Della Harlow said. "By the way, we've received no paperwork, no subpoenas, nothing at all."

"If they do file, that will come in time." I said.

"And they'll still run with the story until the proverbial cows come home to roossssst." replied Chief Moynahan, intentionally mixing his metaphors.

"We'll see how serious it is," I said, "if and when the SBI says something. The locals and the Union are nothing. The SBI is the key on this."

"Why do you say that?" asked Della, who was just beginning to learn my methods.

"That Union guy telegraphed it." I said. "The key of that whole charade was that they wanted me suspended as an SBI Reservist. That suggests the SBI, and probably Jack Lewis himself at the top, wants me out of their way, and unable to poke my nose into their business..."

With that, I went into a reverie..

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You've got to say something." said Lt. Scott Peterson, the Media Relations Officer, as we sat in the Chief's office at 2:00pm, still Monday, March 7th. "I need something to give them, something to counter Jefferson's brazen lies."

I sighed. "Tell them that I will not bother dignifying his smears with a response."

"Chief..." said an exasperated Peterson, "with all due respect to the Commander, can you get him to say something, anything at all? I can't give the Press a non-statement."

"Sure you can." said Moynahan. "Go tell them exactly what the Commander just said. You can also tell them that Chief Moynahan says he, Chief Moynahan, looks forward to Jefferson's own trial for assaulting a Police Officer."

"Please don't say that, Chief." I said. "Our main defense right now is to call Jefferson's stunt politically motivated. If you draw attention to that, then we're going to be hit with the political retaliation theme. And guess whose side the rabidly dishonest Media is going to take?"

"They're not all dishonest." said Peterson. He exhaled. "Okay, Commander, I'll tell them what you've said. But at least think of giving one of them an interview. Bettina Wurtzburg is pretty fair to you. Her question wasn't scripted, and she's taking heat from other reporters for asking it."

"I'll think about it." I said.

"Go give them that statement now." said the Chief. Peterson got up and left.

Part 28 - Making Amends

Monday evening, March 7th.

Paulina Patterson and I were sitting on the deck of the Cabin. Laura had baby Tasha inside, and was breastfeeding her. My wife liked putting her udders to good proper use instead of having to bottle the milk.

"I cannot tell you how angry I was with you when that verdict was read." said Paulina, sitting next to me on the metal loveseat. It was cold outside now that it was dark, but we were bundled up pretty warm.

"What changed your mind?" I asked as I watched the light of a train coming out of the western horizon.

"I'm still a bit pissed, so don't think you're off the hook." Paulina said. "But... well, after all that's happened, I thought maybe you know he's innocent but can't prove otherwise, so you let Gregory make a fool of himself."

"You seem intent on blaming me for this." I said.

"Don, we've spent hours... hours... together on trial prep." Paulina said. "We worked on that Bryan Thatcher case as if the fate of the World depended on it. I know you could've helped Gregory through that---"

"And Krasney couldn't prep him? Or Washington?" I queried.

"I'm mad at them, too." Paulina said.

"So what cooled your anger at me?" I asked.

"It's hard to stay mad at you." Paulina said. "Especially every time I hold your daughter, feed your daughter..."

I smiled. "We did something good together, there."

"Yes we did." said Paulina. "Anyway, when I heard what Jefferson said this morning, I was livid. Even more angry than I was at you. And I realized that no matter what else, Lawson had his day in Court. The Jury made its decision. I just don't get the level of hatred of these Firemen towards the EMTs."

"Kind of like hating the other guy after winning the girl, eh?" I said.

"Yeah... yeah, that's a good analogy." Paulina replied. "All right, let's go inside. Think Laura will mind if we have make-up sex in the main bedroom?"

"No, she won't mind." I said. "And she'll probably join in. Why don't you go on inside. I'll be there in a minute." Paulina got up and went inside.

I thought about it. Yes, I'd all but engineered Lawson's acquittal. But was he guilty? Of course he was.

Oh, yes.

He was alone with Naples. It was his scalpel. He had the knowledge and the ability to use it. And he had motive: fear for his family, fear of job loss.

I could only imagine being dirt poor with a wife and baby child depending on me just to eat, and the existential threat to my life and my family. Only to be vilified, hated, robbed of my livelihood by the insidious, unappeasable, and incomprehensible hatred of others, a hatred born of a desire to squeeze every last dime out of me for their personal enrichment.

And this done to a military veteran, a Conscientious Objector that still did his duty for his Country and served as a medic, trying to save lives from the meat grinder of war created by politicians...

Lawson had had little hope. But me, I was in a unique position to make it right. Even at the cost of letting a murderer go free? Maybe I was wrong. But what is 'Justice'? Really?

I went inside. Lawson would be a great EMT in Texas. He would save many lives. He would not make the same mistake, born of desperation, again.

I was not going to lose sleep over it. I put Lawson and my decision into their 'compartments' of the mind, and turned my attention to the future...

Part 29 - Building the Pressure

Tuesday, March 8th. At 10:00am, Cindy came to my office and asked me to come to the front lobby.

There was a bit of a crowd there as we came up. They made way for me. Looking out the doors, I saw one person standing on the sidewalk in front of Headquarters. He was wearing a black robe with hoodie, a Guy Fawkes mask, and held up a sign that said "STOP POLICE CORRUPTION".

"Sir, shall I remove that trash from the premises?" asked Sergeant Rudistan in his jovial way as Commander Harlow came up to see what was going on.

"Oh, we have an Anonymous." she said when she saw him.

"Let him stand there for a minute." I said. "I have an idea." I hurried back to my office...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I cannot believe he's doing this." said Cindy.

"Does he have his armored vest on under his uniform?" asked Deputy Chief Della Harlow? Cindy affirmed that I was so attired.

"Rudistan, you're loving this, aren't you?" Cindy asked, seeing the smile on Rudistan's jovial face.

"Oh yes ma'am, you better believe I'm loving it." Rudistan replied. "I wish I'd thought of it myself.

They all watched as I walked out front to face the 'protestor'. I had gotten my Guy Fawkes mask that I'd worn last November on the cadet run, put it on, then put my Tilley hat on over it. Walking out, I came face to face with my counterpart. He seemed shocked to be confronted with... himself.

"So," I asked from behind my mask. "Who do you say is corrupt? And why?"

"Do you fear the coming retribution for your corruption?" Anonymous said, his voice deep, weird-sounding behind his mask.

"No." I said. "There is no corruption here. If you want that, go to tonight's Council meeting, or engage the Haters like Assistant Fire Chief Jefferson."

"Wise advice." said Anonymous. "At least you have the guts to face us, Iron Crowbar. Perhaps one day, you will will wear that mask as you join with us, to face the Evil that we will not forgive, and not forget."

"I'm fighting them my own way." I replied.

"We are Legion." Anonymous said. "We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us."

With that, 'Anonymous' lowered his sign, turned and walked off down the sidewalk towards Town, and City Hall. I went back inside to a throng of greatly amused Police Officers.

"Who was that, Commander?" asked Cindy.

"I have no idea." I said. "And I don't think I want to know"

We went back to my office. I put the Guy Fawkes mask down next to my matchstick Trojan Horse and sat down. Cindy came in behind me.

"Just between us and the crowbars," she said, "I spoke with Britt Maxwell a few minutes ago. She said the Fire Department Union did contact her office to make a formal report accusing you of corruption, but they have nothing backing them up, and she plans to take no action. Jack Lewis has also not said anything to her about it."

"Least of my worries." I said. "I'm much more worried about what the Council is going to say and do tonight."

"I know some of them hate you." Cindy said. "But come on, they can't do anything to you. You were obviously in the right when you arrested Jefferson, and you were never under obligation to arrest the EMTs... especially as they were on State property when they blocked the ambulance."

"Yeah, I know." I said. "But my worry is not about myself... I am worried about what the Council is going to do to Tanya..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was early evening, and the sun was just going down. She came into her house, setting her purse and keys on the breakfast table. As she came into the living room, she stopped short, seeing him sitting on her sofa.

"Hello, my lovely Sinon." he said. "I apologize for the unannounced visit, but we have an urgent matter to discuss."

"You are welcome, any time." she replied. "At least when I'm here alone, so you won't be recognized by anyone else. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Thank you, no." he replied. "I'm going to be busy tonight, necessitating this visit now. I'll leave as I came, on my own motorcycle, fully helmeted and masked, which will create no real chance to identify me."

After a pause, he said "My dear, the Iron Crowbar is just not getting the message. I would have thought the attempt to kill Pete Feeley's child would've been warning enough. However, that attempt was badly bungled, and we've ended up having to eliminate a good asset in Ms. Farris as a result."

He continued: "I grow sick and tired of the Iron Crowbar's repeated intrusions upon my operations. He has his FBI pitbulls sniffing around me. So... I will try one more time, and a little closer to him. It will also help eliminate a distraction in one of my colleagues, who I am coming to not trust any more. So here is what you are going to do, my lovely Sinon..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As the Council convened at 7:30pm, a lone man stood outside, wearing a black robe and hoodie, an Anonymous/Guy Fawkes mask, and a sign that read "Stop Government Corruption". Walking up with Pastor Westboro, Thomas P. Cook saw him, and demanded the Police remove the man. Sergeant Rudistan refused, saying the Police Commander himself had ordered the protestor remain unmolested, provided that he remain peaceful in his protest. Cook was livid, but could do nothing.

"Let it go, Mr. Cook." said Westboro. "We have our meeting to attend, and he is too much of a coward to show his face." Still angry, Cook allowed Westboro to persuade him.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"There being no more public business," said the Mayor at the Council meeting, "we will retire to executive session to discuss personnel matters." It was 8:30pm, the public meeting having lasted an hour. The Council left their chairs in the auditorium chamber, and retired to the second floor private Council room, taking the seats they always took as if their names were on them.

"Okay," said the Mayor, "we have one major item to discuss. Police Lieutenant Tanya Perlman is out of life-threatening danger, but is paralyzed from the waist down. We have asked her Police Department superiors for evaluations of her being able to return and her ability to do her job as the MCD Lieutenant."

"How is this even our business?" asked John Colby, his baritone voice booming out of his slender body, and anger running through it in a thin thread. "Isn't this for the Police Force to decide for itself?"

"Not quite, Mr. Colby." said Pastor Raymond K. Westboro. "The issue we're going to be discussing is a possible pension package for Lt. Perlman. There are several options, but we'll have to vote on exactly what to do." Colby nodded his acquiescence.

The Mayor said, reading from papers: "Captain Ross submitted her opinion that Lt. Perlman could continue at her current position. Police Headquarters is fully compliant with the myriad Federal regulations supporting handicapped persons. Captain Ross said that Lt. Perlman does not necessarily have to go to crime scenes to do her job as the MCD leader. Captain Ross also said, quite interestingly, that Lt. Perlman could be promoted to Precinct Captain, especially if Precinct Captain Weston is considered for the Captain of Administration slot, which opened up when Harlow was promoted to Deputy Chief."

Mayor Vaughan continued: "Commander Troy stated that Lt. Perlman will be able to function normally as MCD Lieutenant, as she has a very capable team helping both her and him get the job done. Chief Moynahan said---"

"Wait." said Kelly Carnes. "Is that all Commander Troy said?"

"Uh, yes." said Mayor Vaughan. "His reply to our email was rather terse and brief, but got his points across."

"I'm surprised he's not banging on the door with that crowbar of his right now." said Carnes. "And I think he would be, if he really wanted to keep Lt. Perlman in her position."