Skepticism

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His searching then led him into the areas of 'abiogenesis', the origin of life on earth from non-living matter, and of biological evolution, the changes in life after it arose by chance on the pre-biotic earth.

These were just two more of many topics he refused to accept because some group of PhDs boldly claimed they had the answers. Brandon made sure to say fairly often he didn't know everything, and that it was quite possible they did have the answers. But even if they did, their authority alone wasn't even close to sufficient for him. Until HE was convinced, nothing was even true let alone 'settled science', a term he found laughable as NOTHING was ever completely settled where science was concerned.

Brandon smiled at his mom, kissed her on the cheek, then said, "And I can't understand why you and Dad still go to church."

He grabbed a piece of cold chicken breast out of the fridge, took a big bite, then smiled at her again while he chewed.

"What time is dinner?" he asked, his mouth stuffed with the protein needed to rebuild the muscle tissue he'd just torn apart.

"The same time it is every day, honey," she told him, her heart breaking from all of the changes their family had gone through the last three years or so.

Monica had every intention of listening to the podcast Cynthia recommended, but she got so busy she forgot all about it until later that evening. When she remembered, she tried to find the one she'd been shown, but as she searched for it, she noticed one was currently in progress. Out of curiosity, she listened in, and the very first thing she heard caught her attention.

"Here's another question for you. What makes anyone think it's either evolution or 'God did it'? Is that even a true dichotomy? Why can't there be some third way? Okay, so...what third way, you ask? I'm not saying there is, I'm just asking you to think. Just because I can't come up with this 'third way', how can anyone claim it's one or the other?

But here's one thing I DO know. Back in 2014, the world's leading evolutionary biologists got together at a meeting of the Royal Society in London to publicly discuss their concerns on this very issue. If they're finally admitting what they've been dogmatically telling us isn't true—or maybe just not the whole truth—then shouldn't we be even more skeptical of the so-called 'experts'?"

Now intrigued, Monica turned up the volume and continued listening and watching in real time knowing this was taking place just a few miles from where she lived, and the person she was watching was one of her future students.

Brandon had convinced his parents to let him use Hannah's room for his podcasts, too, as long as he left everything of hers in place, an agreement he'd honored out of love and respect for the sister he'd so dearly loved and considered his best friend.

"So here's the deal. I reject the notion that 'God did it', so that'll make all of you atheists out there happy. But I also reject the neo-Darwinian synthesis, and that'll piss you atheists off! Oh. In case you're new to my podcasts, the neo-Darwinian synthesis is the notion that Natural Selection, acting on random mutation, can account for the diversity of life on earth—given enough time—and that's what's been taught in high schools and universities all across the fruited plain for the last hundred years or more.

Now you may still be asking how it's even possible for me to think like that where I question both God and evolution. Let me explain. Again. First of all, until I see evidence for the supernatural realm even existing, I remain skeptical. I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm saying I see no evidence for it. Further, once someone can demonstrate it DOES exist, they have to show me how to go about investigating it because 'trust me' just doesn't work for me anymore. And finally, if they're going to tell me 'God lives there', they're going to have to PROVE that to me with something more than archaic, philosophical arguments like the Kalam Cosmological Argument which proves nothing!

Okay, so if 'God DIDN'T do it, then we're left with darwinian evolution right? Not so fast! My 'third way' aside, let's review the problem with the way Darwin's theory is taught in our schools and universities. The whole thing is based on a 'bait and switch' and a whole lot of faith. Yes, faith. And this is the reason the 'experts' in London were and still are...crapping in their pants...and looking for this 'third way'."

Monica found herself laughing and really enjoying the podcast as she settled in for more.

"Here's how it goes. We start with the true believer in evolution using a known fact like how scientists use genetic changes in flu viruses to make the next year's vaccine. That's an observable fact no one disputes. Now here comes the bait and switch! We're told that since we KNOW that happens at the micro level, all we need to do is extrapolate those small changes over millions of years, and WHAM! We've got new species with new body plans!

Really? Then give me the mutational steps one at a time. Show me how it actually happened. They'll point to a textbook with a human eye on the right and several other, 'less-evolved' eyes to the left all connected by arrows, and say that's the proof! Seriously? Yep. Or the same happens with skulls or bent-over humanoids leading to homo sapiens. So when you ask for the step-by-step pathway of the mutations that got you from left to right, that's when the committed evolutionist starts mocking you for asking and, just like with climate change, tells you it's 'settled science'. They then appeal to so-called experts like Richard Dawkins to bolster their case, but they have no freaking idea what mutations took place or in what order! And what about the need for coordinated mutations and the amount of time needed to get just ONE of them when MANY coordinated mutations are needed? And even more perplexing is accounting for the massive amount of new information needed to build a whole new body plan rather than just develop an immunity to an antibiotic.

That's where the faith comes in! You get the 'proof' at the micro level, but the macro level is just ASSERTED to be true, too! You're told to take the example at the micro level, add in millions of years, stir, and repeat, and VOILE, you have human beings! Now that may work for you, but not for me.

And just because I don't blindly buy into the 'gradualistic approach', that does NOT mean I believe 'God did it', because God is supernatural and there's no evidence the supernatural even exists, right?"

Monica's head was spinning, and her first thought was that Brandon was conflating a whole bunch of things. And yet when she tried to tease them out after the podcast, she was unable to do so. In fact, she didn't have an answer to any of the objections he'd raised about the 'standard model of evolution', the model she taught in her science class, and that ate at her. She knew there was an answer, she just didn't have it off the top of her head, but she was determined to find it before this 'handsome hotshot' embarrassed her in front of the class.

Deeply troubled and unable to dismiss his points as fantasy, she then listened to the podcast Cynthia had recommended, and before it was over, found herself questioning her own beliefs. She KNEW she was right, she just couldn't explain why.

That podcast had been about climate change, and it began with Brandon talking about the things that everyone agreed on, to include skeptics like himself, and even that surprised her.

"Okay, folks. Outside of kooks, NO ONE disagrees about the following things. You ready? Okay, here goes.

CO2 is an odorless, colorless gas essential for life on earth.

CO2 is a 'greenhouse gas', and as such, it retains heat. A very specific, very well-known amount of heat per molecule, by the way.

There is more CO2 in the atmosphere than there was in 1990 or 1970 or 1950, etc.

Man has contributed to the additional CO2 levels.

The earth is warmer now than it was 50 or 100 years ago.

So far, so good? Or are some of you already surprised? You shouldn't be, because even the most ardent skeptics agree on EVERY ONE of those five things. So where's the problem? I'll tell you! It's in the conclusions. We all agree on the facts. The debate comes in when we start talking about the conclusions and what, if anything, should be done about it."

He went on to claim that the amount of warming over the last 120 years or so was about 0.6 degrees Celsius while claiming the amount of additional CO2 that's the result of human activity is minimal, and provided statistical information to support those claims while explaining where most of the CO2 actually came from. He also explained that the so-called 'dramatic rise' in sea levels had been going on since about 1820 or so, and that it amount to 0.07" per year or seven inches per century.

From there he asked what action should be taken, by whom, and why.

At one point, Brandon mentioned a video someone who believes global warming/climate change is the single biggest danger facing planet earth put up on You Tube. The guy who made the video used a very old argument often used by theists called Pascal's Wager to demonstrate.

Essentially, there are four possible choices in this 2 x 2 matrix. On the top are 'Warming is Dangerous' and "Warning is No Big Deal'. On the side were 'Take Drastic Action' and 'Do Little or Nothing'. From there he made the point that if the worst-case scenario was true, and if we didn't take drastic, immediate action, the consequences would be catastrophic.

"We can't afford to take the chance to wait and see!" the video maker concluded. "We must pull out all of the stops right now or it may be too late!"

Brandon then tore into his logic by saying there was no proof whatsoever that anything like the worst-case scenario would actually happen. He then laid out a long list of predictions made by proponents of climate change that were supposed to happen by a certain date but didn't. They, of course, claimed they just hadn't happened—yet. But given more time (just like with evolution) they WILL!

Brandon then explained that the range of possibilities of increased CO2 levels ranged from 'no damage or harm' to 'the potential end of life on earth'.

"So because ALL such predictions are made on the basis of computer models ONLY, why should the United States (or the West) spend TRILLIONS of dollars to slightly lower CO2 levels which MIGHT reduce the global temperature by a few tenths of a degree over the course of a century? And then only if China and India play along because any decrease by the West would be buried by the increases from those two developing countries."

Brandon then went on to provide the standard reply to his own question.

"Because, we're told, we have to do SOMETHING! And, well, the West MUST set the example!" Brandon roared. "That's what we hear, right? So we spend trillions, destroy the economy, and accomplish little or nothing if the actual threat is much less than the fear mongers tell it WILL be, and for what?"

At one level it sounded like a fundamentalist preacher ranting about the end of the world. On another, Monica again found herself unable to refute anything he said. Again, she had strong feelings, but she didn't have enough data or facts to go toe-to-toe with anyone as well-informed (or maybe as badly mis-informed) as Brandon Holtz.

It took her a full 24 hours to shake off the feeling of being out of sorts, but by the next evening she realized it was time to start really digging into these topics. Yes, some of it was to avoid being embarrassed in class by one of her students, but mostly it was because she was the kind of person who wanted to know things for herself. So in at least that one regard, she realized she had one thing in common with her future student. She, too, was a skeptic. She'd just never really realized it until right then.

Monica fully understood no one could be an expert in everything, and that at some point, we all had to place a certain amount of trust in experts. But were these areas Brandon railed on areas where the 'experts' had it right or was there something deeper going on? And if so, would could the 'something' be? A huge conspiracy? That sounded ludicrous, but again, she couldn't answer her own questions, and that drove her to want to know more.

Brandon concluded the second podcast, one which had been done months earlier than the first one she listened to live, by reminding people, as he often did, that scientists were human beings, and not 'the paragons of virtue committed to the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth' people make them out to be.

He stated that by virtue of choosing to focus on physics, chemistry, or biology, one did not somehow become immune to the same pressures all of us face. And in science, if one wanted to get ahead in their chosen field, one did NOT buck the system. One conformed to keep grant money flowing in or tenure never came, and that was indeed a very powerful motive to 'stay in one's lane' or not 'rock the boat'. Eco-friendly billionaires poured tens of millions into climate research; billionaires with agendas that included selling 'carbon credits' and other money-making schemes.

Lastly, he stressed that there wasn't just 'science.' There was 'bench science' like chemistry where experiments could be repeated and tested and the same results achieved time and time again. And then there were other areas of science like paleontology, archeology, and even biology, where things weren't nearly so cut and dried; areas where events couldn't be seen but could only examined after the fact or, as in the case of climate change, years or decades into the future. They were more like forensic science in which people searched for clues to infer the best explanation with the understanding they could rarely know anything with certainty.

She kept thinking about the last thing he said before signing off, and it almost felt like he was singling her out and speaking to her directly when he said:

"So keep an open mind but remain SKEPTICAL, my friends, and never, ever believe ANYTHING until you have sufficient EVIDENCE to prove it. And never forget that claims aren't proof. They're just assertions masquerading as fact, and it's up to you to discern the difference."

"Okay, so it looks like I have my work cut out for me," she said out loud to herself before heaving a loud, deep sigh.

And with that, Monica began by making a list of questions, and from there she was determined to find the answers for herself. As a very important side benefit, she would also be able to address any questions that might come up in class, and maybe even keep local news crews out her classroom—and keep her job.

There was a full month before the block on evolution, and climate change was only two days out of the semester and another month after that. She felt confidant she could have all of this nailed down and tidied up well in advance of those dates.

But the actual doing proved to be much more difficult than the resolution to do it. Monica had never even heard of a 'coordinated mutation' or several other terms, and she was a science teacher, a fact that caused even more internal consternation as she wrestled with things she never once believed she could ever even call into question.

*****

First Day of Class

"Welcome, everyone! I'm Ms. Traxler, and I think I know almost everyone here in 5th-period either from a previous class or just by virtue of seeing you around campus."

"Everyone knows Brandon. He's like totally famous!" one boy called out without permission as they took their seats.

Monica was on edge all day about meeting this class, or more specifically, it's quasi-famous student. He'd smiled politely and said 'hello' when he came in, and she was feeling better about it until this little incident.

Nearly every girl used the opportunity to try and win favor with Brandon, and the boy who made the comment was soliciting high fives. That is, until Brandon spoke.

"Not cool," Brandon quietly said to the boy as he looked over his shoulder at him. And with that the entire class got very quiet almost as if on command.

"Well, let's get started, shall we?" Monica said, her confidence returning as she laid out the topics they'd be covering during the semester.

She fully anticipated a comment from Brandon when she mentioned evolution, but he not only didn't speak, he didn't even change his facial expression. The same was true when she brought up climate change as something else they'd be studying.

She was grateful for the lack of disturbance, but the level of attentiveness he showed her was somehow unnerving. So when the bell rang, she got his attention—without creating another disturbance—and asked him to stay.

When it was just the two of them, Brandon politely asked if he'd done something wrong.

"No. Not at all. I...I only wanted to say that I was, well...warned about you, and so far, everything I heard doesn't match up with your behavior."

Again, the tall, muscular, very handsome senior smiled and said, "I often encourage people to be skeptical until they have enough facts to make up theirs minds for themselves. I can only hope that you'll give me the benefit of the doubt until you can find out for yourself who I really am."

His demeanor was respectful, and Monica found him disarmingly charming and yes, distractingly attractive.

"Full disclosure here. I did listen to a couple of your podcasts and I actually heard you say that," she told him as she smiled back.

"I'm flattered," Brandon replied, still smiling. "And please don't let anyone try and convince you that I'm going to stand up and challenge you at every turn. You're my teacher, and this is your classroom. I'm the first person to admit I don't know everything. And perhaps more importantly I'm a true believer in the old adage that every person is, well, my teacher."

He shook his head then said, "Or is it 'every man is my master'?"

Monica felt comfortable enough to laugh and thanked him for letting her know that.

"It could make things very difficult were a student to do that, so I appreciate you letting me know that won't be an issue. Oh, and I promise not to make any decisions about you until I really know who you are, okay?" she told him.

"Thank you, Ms. Traxler. That's all I can ask."

"So...that's all I had, Brandon. Thank you for your time."

"Yes, ma'am," he told her, another smile appearing on his face.

"Oh. Just one more thing," Monica added before he got away.

"Yes?"

"I'd just ask you to withhold judgment about me, too. You know, until I at least have a chance to show you I do know a little about the subjects I teach."

Brandon laughed, promised her he would, then said, "I give you my word, but I do have to say I heard one thing about you that I've already confirmed to be true."

"Oh? And what might that be?" she asked, another smile on her very pretty face.

"Well, I was told you were the most beautiful teacher anyone had ever seen, and...I have to agree with their assessment," he said without waiting for her to respond as he turned and left the classroom.

As her 6th-period students began trickling in, Monica's mouth suddenly felt very dry, and a shiver of some kind ran through her body as she got ready to meet her last class of the new school year.

The first week of class flew by, and Monica couldn't have been more pleased to have Brandon Holtz in her class. He was unfailingly polite and respectful, and he'd quelled a couple of smart-aleck retorts with nothing more than a withering stare. He was clearly respected by nearly all of her students, doted on by most of the girls, and admired by nearly every guy to include the nerds and the jocks. It was clear to her that both groups looked up to him and very much wanted his friendship.