Skin in the Game Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
onlyfiction
onlyfiction
1,028 Followers

She paused to think about it. She supposed Neesa could come calling on Leanne to return the favor she was doing for the Halliday family. They might ask that Roy give them a break on some materials they need for an expansion. She was in their debt.

Jay filled the pause, "And I worry about Nora Walker going the other way."

"What other way?"

"I've seen her around the cul-de-sac since I got back from college. She's paler and thinner than she used to be. My guess is that she's angrier too."

She swallowed. Nora had been eerie; still and hard during her visit.

"I know about Mr. Walker, Mom."

"What..."

"You and Betty are still calling him Pat the Pig. That means he's still screwing around with other women and rubbing it in Nora's face."

Leanne went pale. She'd never thought of it in such straight-forward terms. But that was exactly what Pat Walker was doing to his wife, Nora. He'd come home reeking of sex and gin. Then he'd brag about the whores he'd been with. He used the typical bullying tactic of telling her she didn't deserve better. Pat once told Nora she was welcome to screw any guy she could find blind and pathetic enough to want to touch her.

It was wearing her down; ever paler and thinner and quieter.

"She's going to snap if something doesn't change for her one of these days. Who knows what she'll say or who she'll tell it to when she's finally given up on the world. Who knows who she will want to punish for any sort of disloyalty, after all the disloyalty Pat shows her."

"Jay, you're hardly in a position to look down your nose at someone about disloyalty."

"At least Betty wants to spare Nick any pain and humiliation, though I have mixed feelings about that one. And Francine has Chuck's permission to get some extra strange as long has she's discreet. But who knows if Nora will see it that way...or for how long."

"You're speculating a whole lot of things here, my boy. You don't know that any of this will happen."

"Look," Jason said with a calm certainty. "I'm not afraid of anyone knowing what I've done. As far as I'm concerned, what I've done with Francine is nothing to be ashamed of; for either of us. She doesn't want the hassle of Chuck finding out. I respect that, so I keep quiet about it. But she's a fucking knock-out like you, Mom, so where's the shame?"

Pleasure at his flattery stilled Leanne's tongue long enough for him to continue.

"And I would say Betty is better off with what we did. That's regardless of what happens going forward. Let Nick get a wake-up call about what a beautiful woman he's got. That or let him hit the road so she can find a man who'll appreciate her. Guys will line up for the chance. On my side: shame? Not for a second!

"But I know you feel threatened about this stuff getting out. These dangers of Nora and Neesa; don't you think they are possible?"

"Maybe," she conceded. "But I'm not sure what you expect. Getting their promise to keep quiet is the best I can manage."

Jason smiled and shook his head. "There's a better way."

"Okay. I'm listening."

"I was reading this detective novel some years ago; hard boiled stuff. The hero is best friends with this crazy dangerous criminal type. But this friend always backs him up when things get bad. The criminal buddy comes by, and tells the hero about a crime he committed. Thing is, he did it with the hero not realizing he'd helped. Then the criminal guy hands him a stack of hundred dollar bills; his cut.

"Now the hero doesn't want to take the money, but he takes it anyway."

Leanne went ahead with the obvious question, "Why would he take the money?"

"Because now the hero has skin in the game. His criminal buddy knows that he can trust our hero. With that money in the hero's hands, he has as much to lose as his buddy if the cops figure it out."

"But why does he go along with it?"

"Because he's afraid of what his crazy dangerous buddy might do if he refuses. But that's not the point. The point is that we can only trust Neesa and Nora if they have skin in the game."

"How would we get Nora Walker or Neesa Marks to have skin in the game? You're not talking about threatening anyone are you?"

"Of course not. We'll have to ask nice, and offer them a cut of something they may be willing to take."

"What do you have in mind?"

"You might not like it."

"Tell me."

"Okay, but keep in mind that we're already in pretty deep."

"Jason."

"It may even be helpful in a way. A kindness!"

"Tell me already!"

***

"No way this is your idea," said Betty. "It's pretty obvious Jason dreamed this up."

"Yeah," agreed newly-friendly Leanne. "He was relentless, pushing until I saw things his way. It's funny how Jay's solution gets him even more action than he's already had."

"Young men. I swear they only have one thing on their minds."

Leanne arched an amber eyebrow. "Let's not forget your 'thing' was the last one he had on his mind."

"Touché."

"Sorry. That was blunter than I'd intended."

"It's okay," Betty said with a sweet taste in her mouth; the memory of her moment with Jay. "I deserved it."

"But part of how he sold it to me is the idea that he...what he did with you...that it was good and helpful to you."

There was silence on Betty's side of the line.

"You still there?"

"Yeah, sure. Was that a question?"

"Yes, Betty! Was...what Jay did with you...a good thing for you?"

"I thought I made it pretty clear the other day how good —"

"I mean," Leanne jumped in, "do you feel like it helped you? Like, your feelings? In your marriage?"

"Look, I don't want to make things ugly between us again. If I could go back in time, I would stop us doing what we did. I meant what I said about hating what I did to our friendship. You are —"

"Pretend we are totally good again, Nance. Tell me how bagging a hot young stud has affected your mind and your marriage."

A longer pause passed this time before the brunette answered. "Better, Leanne. Much better. The marriage isn't great, but it's better than before Jay...got into my...kitchen."

"Really?"

"Yeah. He gave me a tremendous gift, and I'm not talking about the big O; the many big O's. I feel refreshed, for one thing. Lighter. Like I can breathe again."

"Sounds like a certain 90's movie."

"You know it. But Nick has also noticed the new spring in my step and the smile. He's been more affectionate; says the confidence is sexy. And you know the confidence is real. I know that I could walk away from Nick and still attract men. If Nick complains about my shape (though he hasn't in days) I can look at him like he's blind, nuts or both. I know that I can turn the heads of men who are younger, cuter and better hun...uh...better at appreciating my beauty.

"I actually feel freer in my marriage. Safer. I know I am here by choice and not because no one else would have me."

This stunned Leanne. But she recovered and asked, "Don't you feel guilty? I mean for betraying Nick?"

"Yes, I do," Betty answered in a far more solemn tone. "Nick needs to wake up, but he didn't deserve to be cuckolded like this. I wrestle with my shame every day, and I'm trying to make our marriage better now.

"Even if Nick never opens his eyes and I have to divorce him, I will never tell him about my afternoon with Jay. I feel guilty (guilty as Hell sometimes,) but I can't imagine ever regretting it. Does that make sense?"

"Yeah," Leanne answered in a distant voice. Then she snapped out of her daze with the realization: "And that's the sort of stuff we want you tell Nora Walker!"

***

"What are you doing here?" asked the pale brunette.

Leanne blushed, and it showed through the Walker screen door. "I'm sorry. Is this a bad time?"

Nora realized how harsh she sounded. "No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. I'm just surprised to see you so soon after the meeting at your house and the call I got from Betty."

"Of course. I certainly don't want to be a nuisance."

"Not at all," Nora responded automatically.

Leanne tilted slightly to the side to peer over Nora's shoulder, deeper into the Walker home. "May I come in?"

"Oh! Sure! Please, come in!"

She opened the door to let the tall red head in. Leanne was taller than her by a head. She still wore her skirt and jacket from work at the board of education. It looked stiff next to the teacher's casual summer outfit. Her long-muscled build made her seem a different species from Nora's waifish slender shape.

"Pat is still at work," mumbled Mrs. Walker. Her hazel eyes fell to the faded watch on her thin wrist. "Uh, scratch that. He's done by now. Probably stopped at the...hem...bar with the guys."

She led Jay's mother to the kitchen and offered her coffee. Both silently knew what sort of bars Pat the Pig frequented.

"No thanks. I understand about the bar. Roy is late more often than on time, though his drug of choice is the office itself."

"Must be nice to love your work so much."

"I suppose it's nice for him."

Nora took a moment to process this while Leanne fiddled with the manila folder she'd brought.

"Listen, Leanne, I already told Betty that I don't think I want to take your offer. No offense. Jay is a really handsome young man, and -- to hear Betty tell it -- I am sure he would...um...show me a great time. But I just don't think it would be a good idea."

Leanne looked at her hands on the table. "I know what you mean. When I found them together, I definitely didn't look at them and think, 'What a great idea! Why didn't I think of this myself?' Haha." Both women chuckled. "Of course you saw my reaction first hand." They chuckled again, this time a bit softer. "But it turns out that it was a good thing."

"Leanne, you can't seriously believe that me having sex with your son would be good for your family or my marriage."

Saying it aloud seemed to break a spell of caution between them. Leanne took it in stride with a short self-soothing breath. "I think it would make my family safer to have you that much more invested in keeping our secrets. As for your marriage...I...I won't presume to know what the marriage needs, but I am very confident that Jay could do you a world of good if you were receptive...could you be? You did say you find him handsome didn't you?"

"Sure, he's a real hottie; hotter still if half of what Betty and Francine said is true. But what do you mean? Why are you so sure for me and maybe for my marriage?"

"Jay put Betty on more even footing with Nick, and Nick doesn't even know what happened. She's just more confident and upbeat and energized. Her marriage seems to be getting better for that. No matter what happens with Nick, though, Betty is hopeful for herself, her life...her sex life."

"Is she continuing to see Jay?" Nora asked, incredulous.

"No!" Leanne was surprised at the forceful tone of her response. Something low in her body growled, You can get a one time fling -- a pick-me-up with a one-off thrill ride -- but none of you gets to keep him long term. She cleared her throat and took a second to let the heat pass from her face and her mid-section. "No, she doesn't need Jay again. This is about getting a kind of mental (possibly marital) readjustment."

"And you think Jay could...readjust me?"

"He really, really wants to try. He spent hours convincing me to go along with all this two nights ago. You don't have to say 'yes,' Nora, but the offer -- and Jay's interest -- will stay open."

"I'm sorry, Leanne, but this is so totally weird. How can you go along with this?"

"I'm not going into every single reason, but I'll share a few. Like I've already told you, if you let Jay work his magic, then you have 'skin in the game,' as he puts it. I'll rest easier knowing that keeping our secret is in your own interest." Nora started to assure Leanne that she was a woman of her word, but Leanne held up her hand. "I'm sure you have every intention of staying quiet, but no one knows the future. This gives you more motivation in case things change in some other way.

"There is more, like you suspected. I'm pretty sure Jay already had an eye for you. When he heard that I asked you all to keep away from him, he was insulted that I'd stepped in on his sex life. Now, he's a grown man. Under normal circumstances he should go find his own girls. But, since I was the one who tripped up his interests, it only seems fair that I give you the green light in person. Take him up on his offer or don't. Either way, you won't find me screaming in your bedroom doorway like Betty did."

Nora shook her head, but before she could respond Leanne pressed on, "Also, Nora, it's pretty obvious after what Betty and Francine told us (and I can confirm after talking with him) that Jay has an affinity for older women. He's a twenty-two year old man with looks, charm and a sex drive that knocked our neighbor for a loop; and he didn't even finish. He's going to find other women our age. He's going to seduce them. He's going to leave them with steam rising off their bedsheets and a song on their lips.

"And they will sing, Nora. He's going to have more women; our age, and likely in or near our neighborhood.

"He's like one of those radio-controlled cars with the wheels spinning. I can't hold him in the air forever. When I set him down, he's going to tear up someone's bedroom. He likes you. I trust you. I have to let him point somewhere, why not to someone who already knows and is already willing to keep it quiet? Especially when it could do some good."

"What good? Why are you so sure I won't sing? I'm flesh and blood for crying out loud, Leanne."

The redhead in the center of things couldn't look her hostess in the eye as she answered the question. "Because you know what it's like to have that sort of song sung in your face."

Nora looked slapped. "What...what...what do you —"

"I know Pat has been awful to you; that he has rubbed your nose in his scandalous behavior."

"You don't know all the —"

"We heard what he said to you last New Year's Eve." Leanne broke in. Nora looked slapped twice. "I was at Betty's. You were invited to join us. You turned us down because Pat promised to take you out for a New Year's Eve on the town. Roy and Nick were in the den watching, 'New Year's Rockin' Whatever,' but Betty and I were drinking champagne in her dining room."

Nora looked out the kitchen window, across the grass, to Betty's dining room window. They must have seen everything.

"You said he stank of pussy and cheap perfume. That's what caught our attention. He was drunk. Not only did he not apologize, he acted like you shouldn't be surprised." Nora's eyes squeezed shut, pushing fat tears out and down her cheeks. Leanne leaned forward to grab Nora's hand. "I heard him say that you could go ahead and get some of your own if you seriously think you could get it. He laughed at the idea!"

"Stop!"

"Nora!" Leanne urged, shaking the frail hand she held. "Nora, look at me."

The pale brunette looked up at the towering furious auburn-haired beauty. Leanne pointed back, beyond Betty's house at her own home. "There is a twenty-two year old 'hottie' over there itching for the chance to get his hands on you so you can show that fat tub of shit sonovabitch that you can get it. And you can give it! And you can give and get it good! Jay's champing at the bit for the chance."

Nora starred at the fury-in-a-skirt-suit in awe. Leanne saw a glint in Nora's eye, a turn in the expression of her face. There it is! She thought, though she hadn't known exactly what she'd been looking for. She scooped up a napkin with her free hand and passed it to her hostess.

The brunette dabbed at her hazel eyes, and she seemed to glow. When she dropped the napkin there was no sign she'd been crying. "And how does he figure he's going to do that?"

Pat the Pig's keys rattled as he pocketed them and twisted the knob to the side door. Nora pulled her hand away from Leanne's.

"Hey, I'm home!" he called, and began to make his way to the kitchen.

Still standing, Leanne picked up the folder she'd brought with her and held it out to Nora. "Jay will be so glad for your help!" she said loud enough for it to carry to other rooms in the house. "Just look it over tonight. Feel free to mark it up with red ink if you like." Nora took the folder, looking like she feared it might contain spiders. "Or don't if that's too much hassle. Any tips, thoughts or ideas will be much appreciated."

Pat rounded the corner to match a face to the new voice. He was a big man with a flabby chest and a bulging stomach. His hay-yellow hair fell limp and flat atop his head, and his beady eyes were such a dark shade of blue that they were almost black. "Oh, hey Leanne!" he growled with an undisguised leer. "It's great to see you stopping by. Always great. You're always looking so great."

"Oh. Hi Pat." She looked at the pig-man with the expression of a woman watching pea-green paint dry. "Jason's professor has agreed to let him take a second shot at this paper. Nora is being an awesome neighbor and has agreed to look it over." Nora looked into the folder. There was a Literature 101 short story crediting Jay as the author in there. "I'd say you can expect him to come by about this time tomorrow."

Nora, shortest in the room by far, stood up with the folder still clutched in her hand. "Bu...but Pat might be here then."

Leanne smiled at her and shrugged her shoulders. "Whatever. That's fine. I'm sure Pat won't get in your way. Right Pat?"

He swigged at a beer, and shook his head. He struggled to smile at Leanne without slopping any Bud onto his shirt.

"Great! Well, I've gotta go," She turned on her high heels, and moved for the door.

Nora walked her out the front door. In front of the house, she grabbed the taller woman by the arm and spun her round to face her. "Listen, I haven't agreed to anything here. I...I...I need a chance to think about all this."

"I understand. Like I said, Jay will be by tomorrow."

"But I..."

"Whatever happens happens. My son understands the word, 'No.' He will leave if you tell him to go. If you only help him with that paper, then at least his grade is bound to improve. I'm sure he will be disappointed, but another lucky woman is bound to profit from your loss. If you decide to see what he wants to give you, then...well...I guess you're the lucky woman. Don't make up your mind before you really have to."

She bent over to embrace Pat's forlorn wife, and whispered in her ear.

Nora's eyes bulged, and she stared at Jay's mother in shock.

Leanne moved to pass Betty's house en route to her own home. Nora turned 180 degrees to return to her own house without a word.

***

Leanne was breathing heavily as she passed Nick & Betty Fortescue's house, but she heard her old friend call anyway. Betty was also dressed in her work clothes, just returned from the boutique.

"Leanne! C'mere!" she said in a loud and friendly tone.

Leanne felt like she was being waylaid on her last few steps home from a great and terrible journey. But she found herself unable to stay mad at her old friend. She marched up to the Fortescue front door.

"I saw you saying, 'goodbye' to Nora. You whispered something in her ear that made her eyes go big as saucers and cross-eyed too." Leanne's cheeks turned a shade of rose that didn't come from the makeup counter. "What did you say to her?"

"Nothing. Just a last-ditch thing. You know. Trying to convince her to keep an open mind."

"What? What did you tell her?"

"Nothing important." The cheeks went from rose to ruby red.

"If you don't tell me this instant, Leanne, I'm going to scream bloody murder in front of the whole neighborhood and all."

onlyfiction
onlyfiction
1,028 Followers
1...45678...16