Slave Girl Pt. 02 Ch. 26-36

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Your Dad...he wants me to help bring in the harvest?" I try to play it calm but I could not hide the excitement in my voice.

"You won't get rich but he pays a good wage for a good day's work. Especially for supervisors." She says. "You've got experience?"

"Yeah! I've been farming all my life. It's all I've ever known."

"You can drive plow animals?"

"Of course."

"Could you oversee a small group of slaves and freemen? Some of them are pretty green."

"Y-yeah, no sweat. Easy."

Rosa sidles up beside and takes my arm, a huge smile on her face. "I think Ceres is calling you Master."

"When does he want me?" I ask, pulling Rosa close to my side. Cassie takes quiet note of our closeness.

"You can go see him now if you want. Talk over the details." She says. "He's not one for contracts so you'll have be comfortable with a handshake deal. But he's never stiffed anybody yet, you can ask anyone."

The harvest? Honest field work? A handshake deal man to man? YES PLEASE!

"You tell your father that I will be by to see him. Today. This morning."

Rosa chuckles. "I suspect my Master could go right now."

"Yeah I could." I laugh. "Oh...but you wanted to pray Rosa."

"It's okay." Rosa says. "I don't want to slow you down. Go ahead. I'll be here."

"I can't leave you here alone."

"I can lock the door." Rosa says. With her fear of monsters she hardly wanted to be left alone but she also knew how excited I was for this opportunity. "I'll be okay Master."

"If you need somebody to keep an eye out I could stick around until Quin gets back." Cassie offers. "I don't mind."

"I don't think..."

"That is a wonderful idea Cassie!" Rosa says brightly. "If it is no trouble."

"No trouble at all." Cassie grins. She waves toward the road. "We're your neighbors to the North, the next field over. His name is Horatius. Mom's half expecting you if you want an introduction."

'Um, yeah. Yeah!" I kiss Rosa's head. "I won't be long."

She laughs and pats my back. "Take your time Master."

"And don't hurry on my account." Cassie adds. "It's been far too long since I met a new friend."

"Ha ha!" Not even bothering to put away our gift I set out on the spot. I start out at a walk but quickly into a jog the moment I was out of sight.

***

Chapter 28

It is only when I am out on the main road that I realize the trouble I might have left behind me. For reasons that sounded right to my head but wrong to my heart Rosa wanted me to get married and I had just left her alone with a woman whose grandma practically offered me her hand in marriage within minutes of meeting her. Like me Cassie was in her prime as a marriageable prospect and in the country single men and women of our age did not remain that way for long. Out here where the real work of the empire got done we commoners hadn't the time for the protracted courtship written about by poets and playwrights nor the luxury of years to wait for the May-September pairings of the nobility. Simply by Cassie being Cassie and me being me there would already be forces in play to assess our suitability. It is with this realization that it also hits me that Cassie's father requesting to meet me was about far more than simply needing an extra hand for the harvest.

My jog slows to a walk as I look back over my shoulder.

"Gods damn it." I mutter, feeling as if I had just walked blithely into a trap that literally everybody involved but myself knew was there. They didn't just know it was there, they set the damn thing! I pause and wonder if I ought to go back and nip this whole silly thing in the bud. The very thought of having a woman at my side that wasn't Rosa or my mother made my insides queasy. Cassie seemed a fine lady, just not my Lady. After a moment though I put that thought to rest. I wanted this work, I needed this work, and we sure could use some friends in the area. It's not like anybody could force me to marry. Not even my Lady could command me to do that.

Stopping at the marker that separated my dense forest from the neighboring grain field I look down from the rise over the land that I had initially mistaken for my own when Rosa and I first arrived. In the distance the bright white villa and out buildings with their red roofs hadn't the quiet grandeur of my estate but it was hardly a gathering of hovels either. Seeing the people, like ants, bustle this way and that I could appreciate that this was a busy and successful working farm. Ungrateful as it was I couldn't help but harbor just a bit of jealousy for my neighbor's land. After just a few days with my own place there was also some humility as well. I was nowhere near ready to run an outfit like that. But still, how vastly different my life could have been had uncle Paullus left me this lot instead.

Straightening my tunic I set off at a brisk stride.

Eyes are drawn from the stead and heads are turned from the fields around the moment I turn from the road onto the well worn cart trail leading from the villa. I could see a a dozen people in total. Three of them were women, three of them slaves, and the rest working class freemen. A distinct family resemblance ran through at least half of them. The main villa sat facing the trail directly while a large barn and storage building sat to the left and a smaller house with attached worker's quarters to the right. Other smaller shacks were dotted about these main structures. I could just glimpse a long garden of herbs and vegetables to one side of the main villa. Once beyond the straight borders of the surrounding wheat fields the central area is a dusty hard packed expanse.

The sounds of voices and laughter, the clack of wood, the clink of metal. The smell of dust and dung and hay and herbs. The sight of weather worn smiles and hard tanned men. All of it took me back to my childhood.

A stout man, his shoulders half as wide as he was tall, is the first to approach me. "Lookin for work stranger?"

Before I could even answer I hear a voice I'd heard before come from the house. "Quin." Cas, the middle of the Cassia's, calls to me from an open window. Wiping her hands on her apron she beckons me forward. "Come in, come in."

"Ah, so this is Quin." The man shakes my hand with a hard grip and an equally hard look up and down. I return a grip to equal his. There is a moment, an awkward moment that I knew only too well as the large man that I was, where the smaller man assesses whether he might best me or not. "Welcome."

"Thanks."

After a few seconds too long the shake finally breaks and I make my way toward the house. By the time I get there Cas was at the front door. "Come on in young man." She says. "Lucas. Tell your father that Quin's arrived."

"You got it Ma." Then he exclaims. "HEY! This guy's armed!"

Instantly every eye that had since wandered snaps back to focus on me. For a second I'm confused before realizing that in my haste to get here I'd forgotten my father's dagger tucked into the back of my belt. Reaching back I pull it from my belt, scabbard and all.

"Gods, Cas. I forgot I was wearing it."

"It's okay." She laughs.

"No it isn't." Says Lucas approaching me. "Hand it over."

I shield the pugio and glare at the oncoming Lucas. After yesterday I was in no mood for anybody grabbing at my stuff.

"Lucas..." Cas says.

"That's a soldier's weapon. Where'd you get it, huh? Stole it off a body probably."

"Lucas!" Cas snaps with a mother's anger. "Go get your father."

"Men aren't allowed to wear weapons into the house." He grumbles.

"And he respects that." Cas says as she opens her hand toward me. "Isn't that right Quin?"

With another scowl toward Lucas I hand the dagger to Cas. "It was an honest mistake."

"I believe you." She says. Once Lucas begrudgingly wanders off she rolls her eyes. "Too much of his grandma in him."

Cas welcomes me into her home. As we walk through the atrium to the tablinum I thank her profusely for the welcoming gift and in normal country fashion she assures me that it was 'no trouble at all'. The walls of the small farm office were lined with shelves of stacked sheets of papyrus and rolled up scrolls. Unfurled on a table at the opposite side was a map of the property along with little notes pinned to it here and there. Cas leaves my dagger in plain sight on the table and asks that I sit down. I am left to wait only a few moments before Cas returns with a tray upon which was a pitcher of spicy cider along with a couple of clay mugs. She is still pouring them out when a balding man around her age joins us. He wasn't tall and had the same solid build as Lucas. He hugs his wife from behind and kisses her cheek before coming to address me.

I get to my feet and offer my hand. "Master Horatius."

"Master Quintus." We grab each others forearms and shake as equals.

"I was just admiring your library." I say as an icebreaker. "A fine collection."

"Mmm." He looks to the shelves. "You can read then?"

"Yes Sir."

Cas excuses herself to leave us alone. After a few cordial comments and welcomes the pater familias cuts right to what was on his mind.

"How'd a man your age come by the old palace?"

"Inherited from my uncle. It was a surprise to everybody. Me most of all."

"Your uncle was a wild one."

"So I hear." I say. "I never met the man. He and I couldn't be more different from what I am hearing. Things will be quieter with me there."

"Mmm. Heard you got into a bit o' trouble in town." He says as he walks to the map and picks up my dagger to study it. "Got yourself locked up in the clink."

"Yes Sir." I sigh. "I was...ignorant of the local situation. I know better now."

He nods, surprisingly understanding of the arrest. "I heard who pulled ya in. No shame in it." He says. "Also heard you made light work of some real hard men."

"They were just a couple of bullies."

"They're trouble is what they are." He says. "You like stirring trouble?"

"No Sir. Avoid it whenever I can." I say. "But I won't be disrespected either."

He turns to me. Setting down his mug he takes the scabbard in one hand and unsheathes the blade with the other. "You're too young to be done your service. You a deserter? A thief?"

"No Sir." I say. "That was my father's."

"He was a soldier?"

"Yes Sir. He gave his life for the Empire when I was twelve. That's all I got left of him."

He looks to me then back at the gleaming steel. He gives a slow nod then sheathes it again and hands it over. "It's a fine blade."

"He was a fine man." I gratefully take it back and tuck it into my belt. "He taught me how to hold and look after a weapon. He taught me a lot of things." I then add more solemnly. "When I got to see him."

"Mmm." He nods. "So you're a fighter."

"No Sir, I'm a farmer." I say. "A Ceres man through and through. That's why I'm here. Cassie told me that you had some work that needs doing."

"Aye." He motions to the seat I'd gotten up from. "Sit." I take my seat and enjoy a pull of the delicious pear cider. The sharp spices far were more intense than what I was used to but I liked it. Horatius pulls a stool from under the table and drags it closer. He sits down, his keen brown eyes taking my measure. "I'll only need ya for the harvest."

"That's fine by me." I say. "I got plenty to keep me busy at my place. The old house is near falling down on our heads to say nothing of the grounds."

We continue to chat, Horatius asking the same questions that his daughter had along with a few more. He accepts my answers at face value as I do his. He runs down what is expected of me and I assure him that I would be up to the task. From just beyond the open door Cas adds in that Rosa was free to come help around the house while I was working. Horatius chuckles and shakes his head at his nosy wife as I tell her that I very much appreciated the offer. A wage is agreed upon and with another shake the deal was done.

"I hear it's just you and that slave over there."

"Yes Sir." I say.

"No family?"

"I'm an only child." I say. "And we couldn't spare any cousins."

"You didn't have a wife back home?"

"No Sir, it was just me. Never been wed."

"This Rosa, she's a blind demon."

"Yes." I say.

"Can't be a lot of help."

"She helps. More than I can say." I say. "And she is...a very good friend."

"You close then?"

"Yes."

He raises a brow. "Close as family?"

I hesitate...then nod. "Yes Sir. Close as family."

His hard features soften with a look of respect. "That's good. That's good." He drinks. "A man needs a family, even if it ain't kin. Even if it's just one good woman. A man without faith, courage, and family is a man without a purpose. And that's a dangerous thing." He finishes his mug in one long chug then wipes his mouth. "By where I'm sittin I'd say you got all three."

"Thank you Sir."

He slaps my knee. "Your Ma and Pa raised ya right Quintus."

"I like to think so."

He gets up and waves me to remain seated. "Finish yer drink young fella. I gotta get to work though." He says. "I leave things to Lucas too long and my worker ants soon turn into grasshoppers."

I stand and shake his hand one last time and say with honesty. "It was good to meet you Sir."

"I'll see you again in two days." He says. "Bright and early."

"I'll be here." I continue shaking his hand. "Thank you for the opportunity Sir. Thank you! I very much appreciate it."

He claps my shoulder. "And I thank Ceres you showed up when you did. With another experienced hand we might just get this thing done."

"I won't let ya down."

***

Chapter 29

After saying goodbye to Cas I walk back out the front door excited to return to my place and tell Rosa that I got a job. Unfortunately I could see by the way that Lucas was standing in my path and by the spirited look in his eyes that I was going have to contend with him first. As I step out into the open area between the main buildings I catch a handful of other men closing in from left and right.

"What's this?" I ask as I get to within a few paces of Cassie's brawny brother.

"I heard you liked my sister."

Closing my eyes I sigh and rub the bridge of my nose before looking back to him. "Your sister is a lovely woman..."

"OUR sister." Says one of the other men who had a striking resemblance to Lucas but just a touch younger. "And she doesn't need some no account pretty boy charmer coming here from nowhere and turning her head."

"Pretty boy?"

Before I could say more Lucas pulls two stout cylindrical three foot lengths of wood from behind his back. One he tosses onto the ground between us and the other he grips tightly in his right hand. Every boy raised in the Empire knew the length of a gladius and very few of us had not grown up battling other youths with sticks or rods just like these as we pretended to be brave legionaries or gladiators.

I look back to Lucas. "You've got be joking."

He swings his 'sword' left and right. "You wear a weapon. Let's see if you know how to use one. Don't worry, I won't hurt you too bad."

"Careful." The younger brother scoffs. "You heard about what he did in town."

"I heard it Felix, don't mean I believe it."

I glance back over my shoulder in hopes that Cas or Horatius might see this nonsense and put a stop to it. They were nowhere to be seen. The other five men around me just wanted to see a fight for a bit of entertainment. I was on my own.

"Do we really have to do this?" I say. "Don't y'all have work you should be doing?"

"We got time for this." Says Lucas with a grin. "Pretty boy. Let's see what kinda man you are stranger. You fightin or you runnin?"

"I'm walkin." I say right back then take a step forward.

Predictably he lunges straight for me, coming at me with a big overhand swing. Expecting it my next step is a long one directly toward him, throwing the range of the attack completely off. My hand snaps out to catch his forearm mid-swing. Lucas was as strong as mule...but I was stronger. The swing stops dead where I catch it. In a flash I twist the stick from his grip with my other hand then bring it down over the dumb bastard's skull. With a loud clonk reminiscent of putting a hammer to a hollow log I hit him just hard enough to leave a goose egg.

"OW!" He barks and rubs his sore skull.

Shoving him back on his ass I drop the wooden shaft at his feet then keep on walking. There are some ooo's and ahh's and laughter among the other gathered men.

"Hey!" Cries Felix.

I hear the other brother hurry in behind me, pausing just long enough to scoop up the weapon I'd refused. I spin around just in time to see him coming. Keeping my spin going I sidestep his charge, being sure to leave a foot out behind me for him to trip over. Cassie's other brother goes sprawling face first in the dust, his chin bouncing hard off the packed earth. That would leave a mark. By this time Lucas had gotten up.

Rubbing his noggin with an infuriated look in his squinting eyes he comes at me again. More cautious now he hunkers down into a fighting stance, his right hand at the ready for when I got close enough. I fake a lunge and cause him to flinch followed instinctively by a defensive swing of his weapon. The moment the tip whizzes harmlessly past me I step in and drive a knee up into his exposed flank.

"Guhhhh!" He groans as the wind is forced from his lungs. Staggering back he attempts a defense but I could have knocked him cold right then had I wanted to.

"Leave my brother alone you son of a bitch!" The other brother rushes me from behind in a full suicide charge.

I turn just in time to give his club wielding hand an open hand strike throwing the trajectory off just enough to miss my cranium, though close enough for me to feel the wind rustle my hair! I parry another backhanded swing then dodge another before grabbing the younger by the neck. In one grand motion I swoop down to thrust my palm into his crotch with the other hand before heaving the wriggling Felix right up over my head.

Lucas' eyes widen as he gawks up at me with his brother held high over head. Too late does he realize where Felix would be coming down. I dump the full weight of the younger brother onto the older one and the pair of them go down in a heap. Groaning and swearing the brother's roll over each other then crawl in defeat to a safe distance.

I give the remaining men a look to see if anybody else was going to give me a problem. What I get coming back are smiles and cheers.

I straighten my tunic and brush it off, despite the fact it hadn't even touched the dirt, then say. "See y'all in two days."

And with that I turn and do the slow walk away.

"Gods damn! You see that?"

"Mars hisself couldn'ta done better!"

"You two done got whooped! Ha ha haaaa!" All five then have a laugh at poor Cassie's bruised brothers.

"Yeah...well...he's just lucky is all." Grumbles Lucas, before calling after me. "I'll be ready for you next time big man!"

Just then comes the master of the estate's booming voice. "What in the Styx you all doing standing around here for! Get to work!" As I hear the men scatter and the brothers blubber about what they were doing to their father, and my current boss, I carry on walking without a backward glance. "You two ignorant dolts!" Knowing his sons too well Horatius chews them both a new one for trying to rough up the new neighbor and bellows for them to get their behinds back to work. I am nearly out of earshot when I hear the pair getting another whoopin, this one from their Ma.

"They did WHAT!?" Cas shouts.

Whap!

"Ow!"

Whap!

"Ouch!"

Whap! Whap!

"MOM!" The brothers cry in unison.

Now THAT was justice. The city folk could learn a thing or two from us rubes. Despite myself, a huge smile is plastered across my face as I walk unhurriedly back to the road flanked by two beautiful, golden, unbroken expanses of wheat. I think I was going to like this family.