All Comments on 'Snow Ch. 01'

by ahaz

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
BigDog167BigDog167over 5 years ago
OK

The story is ok but the science is faulty. You would have been closer to a real possible disaster if you had gone with a small meteor strike in a desert than running out of oil. To much being found every month.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
🙄

Unless you’re a phuqing scientist, odds are the science will be faulty! Who gives a sh*t? The story was good!

Shy_DesireShy_Desireover 5 years ago
Interesting

I like your writing style and was fully prepared to make a few leaps in the name of fantasy/sci-fi. I also disagree with the other comment, we are indeed running low on crude (there were a finite number of prehistoric carbon based lifeforms that turned into oil)...

In fact, while no one but the Saudis knows for sure how much is left, rumor has it that even they are starting to run low. Many people just confuse the different types of oil, so I'm sure he was thinking of all the news reports last year about the US becoming the world's largest oil exporter.... sorry bro, that had nothing to do with crude oil.

Back to the story, even ignoring the flaws in plate tectonics, which I tried to skim through but absorb gist... I still got caught in some of your other little details. Like, water becomes steam at 100 degrees centigrade (so why drill down to 800 degrees?), the only North African country in the Middle East is Egypt but the most seismic activity in the Middle East is in Iran... they are little things, but they kept pulling me out of your world for a second.

However, I also work in the Middle East and have degrees in regional history, politics and culture, and probably was far more hung up on those things than most people would be. Still I finally started to relax into it and really liked where it was heading at the end, so I'm off to read chapter 2. :-)

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
more on the science

The reason you wpuld drill to 800C is so that the water would boil faster. However, drilling to 800C is very difficult, as rock rarely reaches such high temperatures in the crust. Thus, most geothermal power exists below 400C. However, the scientists that write stories tend to be hard to understans, so you have to learn to be accepting of these mistakes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
narrative momentum

The story is a little too expository, but appears to be headed in the right direction. Sometimes less explanation is better

sirwoodcuttersirwoodcutterover 5 years ago
funny comments,

Hi ahaz, at the start of your story you explained this was a made up world, if you can make up your world, then you can make up your science. I was amused by the comments discussing geology, geography and plate tectonics, if your main character has a twelve inch dick the thickness of a beer can these guys will likely accept it without quibble. Interesting story, I will read the next chapter.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous