Snowbound Ch. 01

Story Info
A woman finds romance in the old west.
875 words
4
9.5k
5

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 12/18/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

(So another "slow burn". If you expect action right away go find a different story.) ;)

Abigail. had to leave Boston. It wasn't just the terrible winters, she could handle those. After the war between the States, Boston had just become too crowded. She needed wide open spaces. Also she didn't have much family in the Boston area. Abigail knew she had to make it on her own she decided to head West. She figured she could teach somewhere on the unexplored prairies.

So she took a train from Boston to Chicago. In Chicago, she had to switch trains to head further west. There in Union Station she struggled to get her luggage on the westward bound train.

"Can I help you with your things ma'am?" came a kind voice.

"Yes, please. I don't have much but I can't seem to manage it." said Abigail.

"I'm Gavin and I'm the conductor on this track from Chicago, to Denver. Where are you headed?" asked Gavin.

"I'm Abigail..but everybody calls me Abby and I don't know where I'm headed. I'm from Boston and I want to teach somewhere out West that's not a big city. I don't suppose that you'd know of anywhere that needs a teacher?" asked Abby.

"As a matter of fact, Abby I do. It's my hometown, Antelope Hill, in the middle of Wyoming. It's a small town of only about 100 people. But, the kids do need a teacher. There's no ocean like Boston, but there's a nice lake nearby. So if you can handle a place like that, we'd be glad to have you." said Gavin eagerly.

"It sounds as good anywhere. I'd like the lake. I love the water and wide open spaces. If the kids need a teacher then I'm the lady to do it." Abby determainly said.

"Well, I'll drop you at the station there and when I have my week off next week, I'll get you all squared away with the school board."

Gavin drove the train across the unexplored prairie. The train stopped in Davenport, Des Moines and Omaha. Gaivin got food for Abby and himself in each city. It was early in the morning the second day, when Gavin woke Abby.

"So..early in the morning...sun's not up yet." said Abby sleepily and with a big yawn.

"I know Abby, but we're here in Antelope Hill. You gotta get off. I'll see you next week on my way back through town." said Gavin. He helped Abby with her luggage and left her on the train platform.

The train pulled away across the prairie and Abby was left all alone in a strange town where she knew no one. She knew she'd have to get things done by surviving on her own grit. She walked up the street looking for someone to speak too.

Halfway up the street she met a man. "Hello I'm Abigail Green, Gavin Lake sent me. He said this town was looking for a teacher. Well, I'm your lady. I can teach kids from kindergarten through eighth grade. I don't suppose you'd know someone I could speak to about the position or a place to stay in town until Gavin gets back from his job next week?

The rough looking man stared at this strange woman for awhile. Why would a lady like this come to a small irrelevant town in the middle of Wyoming? She must be out of her mind. Still she was very pretty, he could do something with her. He knew Gavin, didn't like him and knew that Gavin was out of town working as a conductor a lot. This lady would need a friend in town. Someone she could rely on. A man who could take care of her because she surely was incapable of taking care of herself. Just look at how she had struggled with her luggage. All women needed a real man to take care of them especially on the frontier like this. He was a real man who could do that.

"I'm Shane Ross, I own the saloon. I live right next to the school house and for $2 a month, I'd be more than happy to let you board with me. Gavin lives on the opposite end of town from the schoolhouse...right on the edge of the prairie. It gets very cold there and there's no protection from wild animals and Indians...it's not safe for a lady like you, especially since he's always gone. Stay with me and I'll speak to the school board about you being our teacher." Shane said to Abigail.

"Well, that's very kind of you Shane. I'll stay with you for now." Abby struggled to pick up her bags and followed Shane to his house.

Shane showed her around his bar before he took her into the house. He said he could "use a woman to help out about the place." Abby hoped he didn't want her to work at his bar. She wanted to be a teacher to the children of Antelope Hill...not a barmaid. Abby hoped that Gavin would be back soon. Even though they had only spent a few days together she missed him.

Her destiny in this new westward place lay before her...for better or worse.