All Comments on 'So?'

by jamesapple

Sort by:
  • 62 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A lovely story. Were my kids to turn out to be homosexual, I would not care.

But I would strongly encourage them to have kids, else who becomes the plumber who fixes your broken pipes ? Or the plow driver ? The doctor who diagnoses you or the surgeon who removes that tumor ?

The one selfish thing about not having and raising kids (which is an awfully challenging job -- I've raised two) is that you depend on others to do the heavy lifting. If your doctor is a generation younger than you -- more likely as you get older -- who created that person who grew into that doctor ? Or your auto mechanic ? Your attorney ?

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 1 year ago

Christmas in July… er..um..August! Very heartwarming and compelling story indeed. A parents love is limitless and unconditional - or at least that’s how it should be in a perfect world. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

So close to my exact situation with my daughter. However, it took me a lot longer to figure it out and when I did boy did everyone have a laugh at my expense. I have very poor "gay-dar".

natekit76natekit76over 1 year ago

Very sweet. If all parents were like that then the world would be perfect!

elphantasmo69elphantasmo69over 1 year ago

This isn't too far off from my conversation with my own daughter. I hope people will continue to become more accepting of same-sex relationships. After all, it's basically two people that love each other and want to commit to each other. What they do with their genitals is no business of mine. Furthermore, for those in the bible-thumping crowd; if it was such a grievous sin then why isn't one of the commandments not to shag someone of the same sex? In fact, God is more upset that you covet my new bicycle than He is about two dudes in a relationship.

Gram1Gram1over 1 year ago

Thanks for your wonderful little tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a sweet story, glad you shared it.

JH4FunJH4Funover 1 year ago
Outstanding Read (5 Stars)

Excellently written. I wish the real world worked as well as this story.

It took my brother 20 years to get used to the fact his son was gay. He came out in high school. It just upset me about the fact my brother couldn't understand that not everyone is the same as he and I are with our wives. His son has always been a great person just like his dad. I was finally glad to see them being a family again after all that lost time.

Keep Writing

JH4Fun

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 1 year ago

had to vote for that one glad i didnt let the cat stop me from reading. tyvm for the read

eljjeljjover 1 year ago
Thank you all

I wish my blood realities could have been this kind and caring as you all are. When I told my mom and dad. They spread it around and instantly it became that I was a dead person to everyone. Now I'm an elderly male and wish people had cared.

2Maria2Mariaover 1 year ago

As it should be!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Damn. That's good writing.

BoxerR100BoxerR100over 1 year ago

Well done. Nice piece of writing.!

skruff101skruff101over 1 year ago

A perfect lesson in how that conversation should go and what the reactions of loving parents should be, regrettably there are still some that go badly.

Most excellently done.

Flar1958Flar1958over 1 year ago
This what parents for

To support without press. To be happy with them to find someone to love doesn't matter which gender!

Regguy69Regguy69over 1 year ago

Nicely done. Had a similar conversation with my kid. We parents have a lot of responsibilities to our children, loving them unconditionally is number one.

Well written, thanks for sharing.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year ago

Lovely. Absolutely lovely and such a terrific change from the usual fare here.

GerMagGerMagover 1 year ago

Thank you, great writing, great story! And yes this is indeed how it should go.

the_Otter_guythe_Otter_guyover 1 year ago

Down right romantic! 👏👏🔥

greenday0418greenday0418over 1 year ago

Just a sweet story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Glad his wife still has the hots for her husband

Kapturek62Kapturek62over 1 year ago

I'm new here (although I read a few hundred stories here before registering) and this is my first comment. I'm hetero, but your story charmed me - just a great short story of "coming out". Thanks for sharing.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 1 year ago

So beautifully told. You let us all share Vicky's joy.

Frank66Frank66over 1 year ago

Balderdash- the writing is excellent, the story is interesting, the plot is too 'politically correct' and 'woke'. To be gay now is to be cool, because society's mores and values have changed. What if they change back? like they always do in history. To speak in this manner is to automatically be called a homophobe, to be unenlightened, to be too rigid in my beliefs. But why the heck can't we question this, why have to accept it point blank to be cool today? Her loving parents have every right to question her decision; should have delved into it. Is she just going with the flow, thinking because she had a few problems with some jerks that a kinder, more sensitive class would be better? In every other circumstances, we test out children to see if they're solid in their choices- why not here also? It's because of today's social stigmas, just as bad as yesterday's, but in a different way. If someone's gay, then they're gay, and more power to them, but it's a lifestyle that so many are being enticed into, and I think many will regret it later on.

Ok, rip me a new one....

BigfundrewBigfundrewover 1 year ago

Well done. My hope is that more gay and queer kids receive this grace and kindness when finally telling their loved ones their truths. Very sweet.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story about familial love. With two offspring of my own, I understand the parents. I want my kids to be healthy, happy, successful, and productive (not a drain on society). "Heterosexual" is not in that list, though having grandkids to spoil one day would be a plus. I don't think that parents care nearly as much as storytellers like to pretend they do. Which probably leads to more anxiety on the part of the homosexual offspring. Though the two that I knew who in their teens told their parents had little anxiety about it. And they had same-sex attractions starting with puberty.

That said. . . from a sociopolitical point of view, I am tired of "militant" homosexuality. There is a difference between "tolerance" and "endorsement." I supported "stay out of our bedroom," but I don't support "Bake that cake, hater!" mandates. If businesses can refuse service based on vaccine status, they can refuse to create a wedding cake for a homosexual wedding. Fair is fair, which many homosexuals recognize. Sadly, a few do not, and want to sue others into endorsing their own choices, a grotesque distortion of what "tolerance" really means.

Nor do I support same sex "marriage" as such, since the first US case (in NY) was about reaping the FINANCIAL benefits of marriage after the death of one spouse. It was about the money, not the lurrrrv. Yeah, about the CASH, specifically avoiding taxes. The financial benefits of marriage, such as they are, were intended to perpetuate the species, the society, and the culture, since raising kids is expensive and hard work.

Why is this ? If one considers "I don't ever want to have kids," then fine. I ask them "Are you willing to be refused service by any doctor, nurse, policemen, lawyer, dentist, or firefighter who is 18 or more years younger than you?" Those providers did not magically appear one day -- they were conceived and reared by someone. Demographics is destiny. Marriage of a sort predates modern religions because ancient civilizations realized that.

I have noted that most homosexuals I know -- including four couples in my own extended family -- they do NOT have and are not planning to have kids. One couple that we are very close to are not married, and they understand my opposition to same sex "marriage" completely as I view it in the context of procreation.

In my "perfect world" I would accept same sex "marriage" for any homosexual couple who conceived in vitro. My opposition vanishes with the addition of a baby, since that returns the situation to its origin. Otherwise, legally, your two singles living together, NTTAWWT.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A lovely story. About love.

I highly enjoyed reading it. And I enjoyed the frustration of the haters in the comments below.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Another home run! You have the knack of telling a complete story in a really tiny package. You also leave this reader wishing that you could have written about 15k more words with the same quality. lpw

AileyInnAileyInnover 1 year ago

Enjoyed your story. I admire those that love unconditionally. Only if we all could be that way. Great story.

chytownchytownover 1 year ago

*****What a great short story told by a very talented storyteller. Thanks for sharing.

Just_GymJust_Gymover 1 year ago

A really sweet story.

It got me to look at your work and realize that even though you've only published 7 stories here they are very high quality stories. Please keep on writing.

Robby_DRobby_Dabout 1 year ago

I just read your story againn and couldn't believe I had given it only 3 stars.Must have been the mood I was in at the time. This time I was able to see what a sweet story it was and gave it the 5 stars it deserves. What great parents!

DeanofMeanDeanofMeanabout 1 year ago

Sometimes i want to write a story just to try and then i read something like this and whats the point dang

DeanofMeanDeanofMeanabout 1 year ago

and yes this was so good

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

How every parent should be

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Beautiful! The same thing almost happened to me except my daughter, fearing my reaction had her mother tell me. Her fear was completely unfounded as I'd already figured it out for myself and my reaction was just the same as that of the father in this story. Now she and her long term partner live with my wife and me and we're a happy family unit.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Ive just binged on your stories. Wow, you are a great story teller. I hope you keep writing here for many years. The story SO is my favorite. So few words to tell a wonderful tale

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The best in a truly marvellous oeuvre of work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

You have a great way about telling a story. Hope you kee entertaining us for a long time. Have had a friend relate a similar situation. I would have thought, given him demeanor he would have reacted with a higher level of testosterone however he just said you love your kids …. Thanks for your contributions to my reading experience. AA82

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

First rate. Certainly lifted my spirits!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Another great story thanks for telling it. You are one of my favorite authors….. thanks for writing 5 stars

ibuguseribuguserabout 1 year ago

Very nice. Thanks.

aprguyaprguyabout 1 year ago

Great Story - reminds me of a very similar conversation I had with my own daughter almost 9 years ago.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Nice!

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69about 1 year ago

That's Old school love! 5

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Love is boundless, unconditional, forever...BRAVO! Great story!

inka2222inka222210 months ago

I was all ready to give this 5 stars, until I realized that the heartless bitch strung along plenty of guys - especially this "Danny" she literally got serious enough with to take to her parents' TG dinnner! - just to be hear beards. WHILE CHEATING ON THEM with some woman. And apparently the piece of shit is supposed to be the empathetic main character we are rooting for and her parents who raised her to have zero ethics, morals or empathy, as good people? WTF? Wish I could give this -10 stars, but 1 star is the lowest so that will do.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Wonderful

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Okay so I'll admit, this totally went in a direction I did not expect, and let's be honest, its not an easy situation to live through, let alone write about, by my god sis you hit the nail on the head. Not all stories have such a happy ending obviously, but that anguish, that gut pain before you say it outloud, youve captured that feeling, that deep breath before the plunge, perfectly.

Old_TimerOld_Timer7 months ago

Don't let the haters get to you. This is an outstanding short story that captures the essence of "family"

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Gave me a great cackle. Loved it.

It's everyone's prerogative to live a life that makes them happy. It's evil to force your beliefs on others. That includes this whole woke agenda, it's just wrong.

But that doesn't mean gay people shouldn't be happy too.

I'm like the dad in this story, I hope.

I'm fully hetero, I love women, almost 60, married with 4 kids, all hetero.

But I fantasize that I would be as open and understanding as her parents.

They were the exact people that they needed to be. Should be.

This family will remain strong and happy for the rest of their living days, just as it should be for all of us.

dgfergiedgfergie3 months ago

so far a couple of the best short stories on LIT. I'm and old man and still don't understand this gay thing. Why do we se it portrayed so much in movies and stories? Your and my life styles are our own business. I don't get up beat my chest yelling I'm a heterosexual man and I love my wife so why does the LGBQT crowd have to get up beat their whatever about what they are. Just doesn't make sense, to me at least. I won't force my life style on them so why are they trying to force me to accept their life style? Live and let live. 5stars

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Beautiful. The acceptance of close parents of a life style is so much a freedom filling moment. Great tale and though short is very well stated/written..

DeanofMeanDeanofMean2 months ago

love that story made me smile

MrBill323MrBill32329 days ago

Jamesapple You have become one of my favorite authors This story was great!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userjamesapple@jamesapple
Have been lurking for years, figured it was time to start putting myself out there...so to speak. Love useful criticism, not a fan of "Cuck, 1 star" - how does that help? Retired military. Don't be shy, drop a line! And Earth, Wind & Fire's version of Got to Get You Into My...

SIMILAR Stories